FAIL (the browser should render some flash content, not this).

Applying for VA Benefits

The Department of Veterans Affairs continues to expand the forms that can be submitted online.

AutoForm: Service Disabled Veterans Insurance
You can apply for Service-Disabled Veterans Insurance with the click of a mouse! Our new AutoForm

(Automated Form) walks you through the application process step-by-step. It has features that make the process simple: a checklist to let you know if you are eligible, an easy to complete question and answer format, and online help screens. You can save a partially completed application come back to it later. You can submit your application electronically or via fax or mail.

VA's NEW health portal has been developed for veterans and their families -- to provide information and tools to achieve their best health.

Compensation & Pension Applications
VONAPP is an interactive Web site where veterans can apply for VA Compensation and Pension benefits. This site is designed to walk the claimant through the application questions and provides helpful text along the way. It also allows the applicant to submit the claim electronically, receive a confirmation number, and informs the claimant which VA office has jurisdiction for processing the claim.

Use the VONAPP site to complete an application for benefits. Complete Form 22-5490 if you're applying for benefits based on being a dependent or spouse of a service connected injured or deceased veteran. Use Form 22-1990 for all other programs. You may also complete Form 22-5495 or 22-1995 if you've been receiving benefits and need to notify VA that you're changing schools or programs of study. For more information on VA Education programs, please visit us at

The 10-10EZ Application for Health Benefits is now available online! This service will increase convenience by allowing veterans to apply for VA health benefits via the Internet. They can submit the 10-10EZ form electronically to any Veterans Health Affairs facility across the nation. Since the form requires a signature, applicants are encouraged to save processing time by printing the completed form, then signing and sending a copy of the form to the VA facility via surface mail or fax once they have submitted the information electronically.

Vocational Rehab & Employment Services
Use the VONAPP site to fill out the Disabled Veterans Application for Vocational Rehabilitation, VA Form 28-1900

One of the more difficult tasks for a returning veteran is applying for the many VA benefits. The unknown of "should I," "would I qualify," "how do I apply," or "where do I go for help" can be a

frustrating experience. VA intends to ease those frustrations and facilitate your transition from active participation in armed conflict back to civilian life with some basic tips for applying for benefits.
Documents Needed for:
Non-Medical Benefits

A copy of your discharge certificate, or DD Form 214, Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty, if available
Your VA claim number or Social Security number if receiving benefits under prior service
A copy of all marriage certificates and divorce decrees (if any)
A copy of each child's birth certificate (or adoption order)
A copy of your birth certificate if there are living parents dependent on you for support
A copy of any service medical records for disabilities you intend to claim
The most typical claim for benefits is for compensation for military service related injuries. Complete VA Form 21-526, Veterans Application for Compensation or Pension, (On-line version) (Print out version). Or, you may obtain a copy of the form from any VA Regional Office (list of regional offices).
Medical Benefits

A copy of your discharge certificate, or DD Form 214, Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty, if available.

In order to document your service in a theater of combat operations, it would be helpful if you brought

any of the following:
A copy of your Leave and Earnings Statement showing receipt of Hostile Fire or Imminent Danger Pay
Receipt of the Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal
Kosovo Campaign Medal
Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal
Southwest Asia Campaign Medal
Proof of exemption of federal tax status for Hostile Fire or Imminent Danger Pay
Orders to a theater of combat operations
Complete VA Form 10-10EZ, Application for Health Benefits, online. Or, you may obtain the form by:
Calling VA's Health Benefits Service Center toll free number, 1-877-222-VETS(8387), Monday through Friday between 8:00 AM and 8:00 PM (Eastern Time)
Calling or visiting any VA health care facility or VA regional office. To find the facility nearest you, visit the VA Facilities web page.
Where to Get Help

How To Assemble Your VA Claim

Contact VA through on-line messaging.This link gives you access to Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ's), a series of "800" telephone points of contact, mailing addresses for VA offices, and access to a secure, web based messaging program where you can leave questions, by subject matter that are not answered by the FAQ's.

Federal Benefits for Veterans and Dependents
. An informative benefits pamphlet in PDF format.

Health Benefits Service Center. Call toll free 1-877-222-VETS(8387)

Visit VA's health eligibility web site for questions about medical benefits and application procedures.

VA benefits counselors can answer questions about benefits eligibility and application procedures. Contact the nearest VA regional office at 1-800-827-1000 from any location in the United States and Puerto Rico. VA facilities also are listed in the federal government section "Blue Pages" of telephone directories under "Veterans Affairs".

State, local and National Veteran Service Organization representatives are also available to assist you with benefits counseling and claims processing. You may find lists of such representatives at

Mobilization Information and Resources Guide. A DOD web site containing multiple links to mobilization and resources information. | Advanced Search

Forum Log In | Read Forums Guest Access | New Forum Member Registration