Search

Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup
@  vet201060 : (22 August 2014 - 10:29 AM) Thanks For The Info
@  carlie : (22 August 2014 - 10:03 AM) Vet201060 - No The Vso Does Not Represent The Va. Also - Best To Post Questions To The Board.
@  vet201060 : (22 August 2014 - 09:58 AM) I Have An Appt With A County Vso. Do They Represent The Va At All? Do I Need To Treat It Like Going To A C&p Or Like No Worries And They Are There To Help? Please Respond Asap, Appt In 1 Hr. I Am Worried Now
@  babyray : (21 August 2014 - 07:15 AM) Dc
@  rootbeer22 : (20 August 2014 - 02:19 PM) Buddy Statements
@  IraqVet : (19 August 2014 - 07:02 PM) Anyone Recieveing Letters From Vfw To Applay For Tricare And Campava Supplimantal Insurance When You Do Not Have 100% Yet....mines Pending But I Wonder If They Know Something I Dont
@  Detonator : (19 August 2014 - 10:51 AM) Insomnia
@  jbasser : (18 August 2014 - 08:29 PM) Folks, Dont Miss The Hadit Radio Show Wed At 1Pm Eastern. The Basser Hour.
@  Thadine : (18 August 2014 - 12:23 PM) Nod
@  carlie : (18 August 2014 - 08:37 AM) Notapb1 - Might Get More Replies If You Post The Questions Into The Forums.
@  notapb1 : (18 August 2014 - 07:26 AM) Looking For Feedback. I Have Applied For Iu. Was Told To Come In For A Psych Eval And Diabetes Clinic. Received A Call From Va They Were Cancelling The Psych Eval As The Doc(?) Who Did It In March(Ptsd Increase) Was Asked For His Opinion And He Was Going To Submit That. This Is The Same Individual Who Told Me Off The Record About Iu And To Contact My Service Officer. Sounds Positive To Me, But I May Be A Little Bias. Thoughts?
@  waltbarb : (16 August 2014 - 08:35 PM) Appeal
@  MarkInTexas : (16 August 2014 - 04:49 PM) Just Testing This "shout" Thing....... Have A Great Weekend Everybody!
@  Notorious Kelly : (16 August 2014 - 04:40 PM) I Reset Firefox And Now Can Read- Probably Kok Issue (Kitties On The Keyboard)
@  Notorious Kelly : (16 August 2014 - 04:25 PM) I Couldn't Read Posts So I Changed Theme To Ipboard Mobile. Now I Can Read And It Says Hadit Custom
@  carlie : (16 August 2014 - 03:32 PM) Raymondb50 - Probably Better To Post Your Question To The Board.
@  carlie : (16 August 2014 - 03:15 PM) Raymondbb50 - What Is It That You Want ?
@  raymondb50 : (15 August 2014 - 09:47 PM) How Do I Change Member Title And Group Info In My Profile?
@  carlie : (15 August 2014 - 08:37 PM) Just Saying Hi To All
@  WoundedWarrior : (14 August 2014 - 08:50 AM) Got Unofficial Word From The Vso - Unofficially Approved For Tdiu, Effective Date 6/3/2014

Photo

Va Nsc Disability + Social Security Questions

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 csfour1950

csfour1950

E-2 Recruit

• Seaman
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 December 2007 - 05:37 PM

Just last Friday (Nov. 30th I think) I got the brown envelope from the VA. I've been granted a non-service connected disability pension.

My question is two part, (1) Will that VA documentation etc. help in being able to get some form of Social Security benefits (I'm 57)? and (2) I've seen people here talking about Allsup, Inc. Are they good folks to work with in getting assistance?

The VA said under 4. Entitlement to nonservice-connected pension (in part), "The evidence shows you are disabled due to disabilities of depression and anxiety, left hip disorder, lumbrosacral disorder, and skin disorder."

Thanks in advance for any insight.

Advertise Here

#2 william n

william n

E-7 Chief Petty Officer

• Chief Petty Officers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 05 December 2007 - 02:21 PM

this much i do know..congrats by the way on your award from the va..write me back and let me know how long it took you from decision to envelope,in hand..1,2,3weeks???
now yes it will help your claim for disability.no gurantee, they operate[ssd]on a different level,different ballpark...different rules!!keep in mind you cannot collect ssdi and nsc pension together..1 or the other..pension is 910.00 monthly? and what ever your disability from ss will be, you may want to collect the pension while you wait for ssd to be approved then comes a decision,, ssd vs. pension??which ever is greater?? ssd is very srict and pension not so much..ssd allows you to work,for i believe 8 months at a cap of 6-800.00 per month per year as an attempt to return to work without penalty..you really need to discuss this with a ss rep.for all the logistics..you cannot collect pension and ssd at the same time...you can collect service-connected comp. and ssd at the same time..peace, bill

#3 csfour1950

csfour1950

E-2 Recruit

• Seaman
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 December 2007 - 03:45 PM

Thanks for the info Bill. My exams (C&P) were done by July 19, 2007 and I got the envelope Nov. 30, 2007. I went thru the VA in Salt Lake City for the C&P part. I'll have to check to see what my last statement regarding projected benefits from the Social Security Administration was. From filing till now (I began the whole thing in Austin, TX)it appears my retro will be something over $16,000, so I'm definitely not complaining, down to 84 cents in my checking account at the moment.

Once again, thank you very much for answering my questions.

#4 william n

william n

E-7 Chief Petty Officer

• Chief Petty Officers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 05 December 2007 - 04:07 PM

correction ssd will allow you to attempt to work at a cap of?? for 8months..then you have to tell them you just cant do it..no problem..take a few months off..and try again 7-8 months, sorrry cant do it..get the picture???good luck to you...my VSO rep was just informed last thursday i got pension as well i was wondering how long till the check comes?? 1-2-3 weeks?? bill

Edited by williamn, 05 December 2007 - 04:09 PM.

#5 csfour1950

csfour1950

E-2 Recruit

• Seaman
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 December 2007 - 08:41 AM

In the paperwork I received from the VA on Nov. 30 granting me the Nonservice Connected disability, they stated my first check would be mailed within 15 days.

#6 Pete53

Pete53

Moderator/HadIt.com Elder

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21798 posts

Posted 06 December 2007 - 09:34 AM

NSC Pension has been raised to $ 931 effective this month and paid for January

#7 william n

william n

E-7 Chief Petty Officer

• Chief Petty Officers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 06 December 2007 - 03:05 PM

thanks pete, i can buy my sister and dad a christmas present afterall..it may be a little late, but better than never.. :P

#8 Rizing Sun

Rizing Sun

E-3 Seaman

• Seaman
  • PipPipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 14 December 2007 - 03:59 PM

William,
Glad to hear another vet from Florida, need answer to a question.
Since I see you have NSC pension, how much do they add per dependent?
I currently have claims in for increase,NSC pension, and IU. Told decision was made 13 Nov..
Since then just been waiting, 1-800 folks just say it with authorization??

Thanks,
Rize

#9 william n

william n

E-7 Chief Petty Officer

• Chief Petty Officers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 14 December 2007 - 05:07 PM

wow, you got alot of irons in the fire there[shotgun effect], thats the way you have to deal with these folks.. throw enough %&@# against the wall, something will stick!!! Now, i don't think their is an increase for nsc pension w./ dependents?? its a flat rate i think?? im single thank god. its bs enough going through this process alone, let alone with kid[s] or family. though i know it happens everyday.shame on the VA!! i answered your personal message,also......{pete,?, ?, could you chime in on this.} peace, william n

Edited by williamn, 14 December 2007 - 05:08 PM.

#10 Berta

Berta

HadIt.com Elder/SVR Radio Panelist

• SVR
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28594 posts

Posted 15 December 2007 - 07:31 AM

Congrats on the NSC - it is offset by any SSA- or SSI- as everyone has said-

I wush you could have gotten direct SC VA disability-were you incountry Nam?

Nothing at all they could service connect?

ALLSUP has a good success rate-
they can assess your claims potential-I believe-right over the net-or by phone- they have a free consult link at the site-
and there is a fee but I have heard from some who sure didnt mind the fee when they succeeded in getting the SSA.

http://www.allsup.com/

#11 Rockhound

Rockhound

E-8 Senior Chief Petty Officer

• Senior Chief Petty Officer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts

Posted 06 January 2008 - 12:56 AM

cffour1950:

I went the route you did, I got a ncs pension first, then I took all my records and filed for SSDI.

If you win your claim with SSDI, it will depend on how much it is. I believe you have to be disabled and unable to work for 6 months before you can apply or be eligible for SSDI, also be ready to pay some of your award back to the VA, It was already done for me by their accounting at SSDI

I lost out on my Pension because my SSDI award was for more than my pension. but it was nice to get more money than the pension per month, I could still use a bit more. only got a 2.3 cost of living raise this year, by the time they got through taking out more for medicare, I made about a 12 dollar rasie. It kind of hurts, becasue the programs that help me out have income limits and they count SSDI in that figure. I can't even get food stamps, or any of the city, and county programs.

I could use a nice grant to do something about my utility needs, retrofiting for more cost efficent water heating and to get some new windows that don't leak air so bad.

Good luck on you attempts at SSDI, just make sure you have as much medical information, includeing medications that keep you from operating equiptment or machinery, Personal statements from friends or family who see how you live from day to day. The more information the better.

Rockhound

Advertise Here