Search

Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup
@  carlie : (30 August 2014 - 06:27 PM) Vet211060 - I Guess They're Not That Shameful After All : - ) Congrats On Some Positive Adjudication
@  vet201060 : (30 August 2014 - 04:24 PM) Dav Sent Letter Saying I Am 100% Effective Oct 2013
@  MarkInTexas : (30 August 2014 - 12:35 PM) Wish There Was A "like" Button For Some Of These Comments.......
@  MarkInTexas : (30 August 2014 - 12:26 PM) Amen To That!
@  vet201060 : (28 August 2014 - 09:55 PM) Va Is So Shameful!!
@  artlouis : (27 August 2014 - 11:36 AM) Code 7019
@  vet201060 : (26 August 2014 - 11:41 PM) Damn Post It Notes
@  vet201060 : (26 August 2014 - 11:41 PM) True That
@  Asiadaug : (26 August 2014 - 07:46 PM) I Have Yet To Deal With Any Piece Of Va That Isn't A Dysfunctional Mess...ebenefits, Claim Filing, Billing...and To Think Our Tax Dollars Are Used To Perpetuate That Calamity!
@  carlie : (26 August 2014 - 05:39 PM) notorious kelly - loved your shout ! ! !
@  GlassRose1500 : (26 August 2014 - 03:40 PM) Would Someone Add Smc Housbound Plus Smc A&a Regular And One Smc K For Me? I Can't Seem To Do That Math!
@  Notorious Kelly : (26 August 2014 - 03:12 PM) Ebenefits Is Not A Thermometer In The Rectum Of Your Claim; It Is A Post-It Note That May Or Not Be Updated Or Accurate. Try Not To Obsess ;)
@  mcassidy : (26 August 2014 - 01:25 PM) Osa
@  Jaluluah11B : (26 August 2014 - 10:05 AM) My Reconsideration Finally Showed Up On Ebenefits As A New Claim.  gathering Evidence.  [font=Arial][size=3]Automated 5103 Notice Response Needed. [/size][/font]
@  vet201060 : (26 August 2014 - 10:00 AM) Went From Pending Decision Approval To Review Of Evidence Today, I Need To Stop Looking At It. Drives You Crazy Waiting
@  GlassRose1500 : (25 August 2014 - 09:30 PM) @coriemboh I Get My Best Claim Advice Here, But My Dav Guy Gets The Best Intel Once The Claim Is Filed
@  coriemboh : (25 August 2014 - 08:57 PM) The Average Processing Time Is 9 Months More Or Less. Every Time I Call The 800#, I Get A Different Answer. Goe, Roe....make Up Your Mind!
@  coriemboh : (25 August 2014 - 08:56 PM) I Just Want To Know Ballpark Figure Of How Much Longer My Claim Will Take. The Bills Are Piling Up. Adds To My Anxiety And Depression. Sure Wish I Could Tell Bill Collectors The Same Things Va Tells Me!
@  coriemboh : (25 August 2014 - 08:54 PM) @glassrose1500-No, I Don't. I Put In For Representation A Few Days Ago, But I'm Sure That End Won't Pan Out Until The Claim Is Closed.
@  GlassRose1500 : (25 August 2014 - 12:11 PM) Would Appreciate Feedback On My Smc Draft - Posted In The Smc Section! Tkx!

Photo
- - - - -

099. Can I Receive Social Security Disability Income (ssdi) And Va Disability Benefits At The Same Time?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 Tbird

Tbird

Founder HadIt.com established 1997

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 24 November 2005 - 07:29 AM

99. Can I receive Social Security Disability Income (SSDI) and VA disability benefits at the same time?

You can receive SSDI benefits and service-connected compensation without any offset to either amount. However, if you receive a non-service connected VA pension, SSDI benefits WILL be subtracted from your VA disability pension check.

Advertise Here

#2 FrecklesAZ

FrecklesAZ

E-2 Recruit

• Seaman
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 June 2006 - 01:58 PM

Please explain the offset policies for the State of Arizona employee long-term disability (LTD) benefits receiving service-connected compensation.

Also, were you aware that State of Arizona employees who may have a combat (war) related disability which (might) contribute to their LTD is automatically ineligible for LTD benefits? Meaning, that if someone sustained a painful injury from gunfire and it impeded their performance at work so much that their doctor removes them from duty--they would be denied LTD benefits. However, if that same painful injury was sustained from a non-war related auto accident, for example, (and the doctor removes them from duty) they would then not be automatically disqualified from receiving benefits.

#3 john999

john999

HadIt.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22197 posts

Posted 25 June 2006 - 03:47 PM

Freck

Most group type disability insurance policies have offsets for things like SSDI and workers compensation. If you are healthy enough to get disability insurance get a private and individual policy that is not affected by any other compensation you might get. I got one of these about 20 years ago. I have been getting payments from them since 2001. It was not much ($675) a month but it is tax free and pays me for life. It is based on age and health. My premiums were just $365 a year at the time.
The thing with most insurance companies is that they like to take your premiums but they hate to pay. The postal service where I worked had a long term disability policy you could buy but if you were ever disabled long term it was almost useless. It was just a scam.

#4 mssoup1

mssoup1

E-5 Petty Officer 2nd Class

• Chief Petty Officers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 25 June 2006 - 04:09 PM

[font=Arial][size=3]

I live in Virginia. When I retired on disability, I drew my long term disability and my SSD. But, the minute I applied and was approved for my emplioyee pension, they stopped my long term disability. Then, I started drawing my full SSD and full pension. At this point I was no longer considered disabled long term, but retired as totally and permanent. Long term disability indicates that at some point you may be capable of working again and this benefit would then stop. Once you are given your disability retirement and your SSD retirement, then for all practical purposes you are retired for good.

Also, if you are disabled from working and you paid into your LTD, then it shouldn't matter why you go out on disability. As long as a doctor states that you are disabled from working, then you should draw your LTD. Being a NSC or SC veteran drawing benefits should have no impact on your LTD. After all, you paid for the LTD benefit.

I'm sure somone else can add to this, but this is what I think happens.

mssoup1

#5 mssoup1

mssoup1

• Chief Petty Officers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 25 June 2006 - 04:16 PM

[font=Arial][size=3]

As an added note, Workers Compensation is an animal of its own. Workers Comp usually pays 66 2/3 of your last earnings. Then if you apply for SSD and are approved, you only get a portion of your SSD in order to make up 80% of your last earnings. But, then again, neither Workers Compensation or SSD can affect what you draw in VA compensation.

If someone has more to add, please do.

mssoup1

#6 JayBrown1

JayBrown1

E-7 Chief Petty Officer

• Senior Chief Petty Officer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts

Posted 19 August 2006 - 04:43 PM

[size=4][font=Times New Roman][b]Where can I find more information on how can receive 100% service connected disability from the VA and SSDI from social security? Is there a waiting period for receiving SSDI? Will sociial security use my VA medical records for granting disability? How does it work?

#7 jessejames

jessejames

• Chief Petty Officers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 19 August 2006 - 05:15 PM

[font=Arial][size=3]

As an added note, Workers Compensation is an animal of its own. Workers Comp usually pays 66 2/3 of your last earnings. Then if you apply for SSD and are approved, you only get a portion of your SSD in order to make up 80% of your last earnings. But, then again, neither Workers Compensation or SSD can affect what you draw in VA compensation.

If someone has more to add, please do.

mssoup1

With the exception being that you can NOT draw VA disability and Federal Employees Workers Compensation at the same time for the same disability...I'm pretty sure this is true, it's been a long time.

#8 LarryJ

LarryJ

Hadit.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3214 posts

Posted 19 August 2006 - 08:21 PM

[size=4][font=Times New Roman][b]Where can I find more information on how can receive 100% service connected disability from the VA and SSDI from social security? Is there a waiting period for receiving SSDI? Will sociial security use my VA medical records for granting disability? How does it work?

They will withhold the first 5 months of your SSDI to make sure that you haven't been drawing SSI. I know, I know, they should be able to sit down at their desk and ask their computer if you have, but, this is the gubbermint...................then they'll send you your rretro for those five months and start your monthly "benefit" disability check. You will get your check on either the 1st, 2nd, 3rd or 4th Wednesday of the month, according to what letter of the alphabet your last name starts with. After two years, you will get your Medicare ( this is provided that you don't become old enough to go ahead and qualify for Medicare before the two years are up ).

#9 LarryJ

LarryJ

Hadit.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3214 posts

Posted 19 August 2006 - 08:26 PM

They will withhold the first 5 months of your SSDI to make sure that you haven't been drawing SSI. I know, I know, they should be able to sit down at their desk and ask their computer if you have, but, this is the gubbermint...................then they'll send you your rretro for those five months and start your monthly "benefit" disability check. You will get your check on either the 1st, 2nd, 3rd or 4th Wednesday of the month, according to what letter of the alphabet your last name starts with. After two years, you will get your Medicare ( this is provided that you don't become old enough to go ahead and qualify for Medicare before the two years are up ).

Oh, and Social Security will not use your VA records for anything. Social Security does not "rate" your disability, either. Social Security contracts with each state, depending upon which state you live in, to do the disability "determination". Usually it's the state vocational rehabilitation department that does it. They call it the State of ________ Disability Determination Service. Your Social Security medical records will be sent to this department and they will decide there whether or not you are TOTALLY disabled. If you are, then you get SSDI, if not, you don't.

#10 CRYPTOTECH

CRYPTOTECH

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 10:09 PM

99. Can I receive Social Security Disability Income (SSDI) and VA disability benefits at the same time?

You can receive SSDI benefits and service-connected compensation without any offset to either amount. However, if you receive a non-service connected VA pension, SSDI benefits WILL be subtracted from your VA disability pension check.

http://www.vawatchdo...tvabenefits.htm

Take a look at this letter on SSDI and Veteran S/C...It's about two years old and I guess nothing ever came out of it.

Sd

#11 keepugessn

keepugessn

E-3 Seaman

• Seaman
  • PipPipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 12 June 2010 - 03:15 PM

Hi everyone, regarding SSDI and Disabled Veteran and Spouse benefits, and a question we have...If I die before my wife and my SSDI is more than hers, and she is also
disabled and 50 will she receive my social security disability since it is more than hers and if she is disabled from the Fed government can she then also receive her
Fers disability income that has been offset by her own social security award because she will not be drawing against it. We are trying to figure out how much insurance we need to cover and income we both will have if either passes. Thanks Buckwheat.......

Advertise Here