Search

Advertise Here

Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  cragwex : (30 September 2014 - 06:35 AM) Decision & Claims File Dispatch And Pay
@  Tbird : (29 September 2014 - 05:45 PM) Dano Thanks For Your Contribution.
@  artlouis : (29 September 2014 - 04:07 PM) Nehmer Heart Transplant
@  vet201060 : (25 September 2014 - 11:28 PM) Reduced Va Disability Rating????
@  vet201060 : (25 September 2014 - 11:27 PM) Has Anyone Personally Been Reduced, Not Asking If You Know Some But If You Have Been Reduced
@  WVSERVER : (25 September 2014 - 12:16 PM) Test
@  lcurle : (22 September 2014 - 12:49 PM) Ebennies Is Down: Error Code [47]: The System Is Currently Unavailable. Please Try Again Later. If This Problem Continues, You May Contact The Dmdc Support Center (Dsc) At 800-477-8227 For Assistance.
@  Notorious Kelly : (21 September 2014 - 07:04 AM) Thanks, T, And Kudos To Kacy!
@  Tbird : (21 September 2014 - 12:48 AM) Forum Is Back Up And Running. We Lost Some Posts, But Were Able To Restore All The Posts To Sep 17. A Big Thank You To Member Kacy For Volunteering And Getting This Fixed.
@  raptorick : (20 September 2014 - 10:12 PM) Posts After The 17Th Are Missing
@  YellowGTO : (17 September 2014 - 01:37 PM) I Can See Reply's In My Email But When I Click The Link It Says "sorry, We Couldn't Find That!" Anyone Have Any Ideas?
@  cragwex : (15 September 2014 - 10:22 AM) Asking For T & P
@  NeverGiveUp : (14 September 2014 - 01:19 PM) Got Denial Letter From Va On Friday, Having Surgery For Hip This Friday Need Advice
@  Tbird : (13 September 2014 - 02:39 PM) Thank You Notorious
@  Notorious Kelly : (12 September 2014 - 02:52 PM) Happy To See The Donate Button For Hadit. No Pressure If You're Struggling But Give If You Can!
@  vet201060 : (11 September 2014 - 11:49 PM) Got The Dea Letter For Pain Killers Today. Interesting To See How This Actually Effects Us Getting Our Meds
@  bad@57 : (11 September 2014 - 07:07 PM) Hello Vets, Had A Very successful Bva Hearing August 20, 2014. Submitting Final Paperwork To Judge For Decision. Wish Me Luck As I Do All!
@  dereekbanks : (11 September 2014 - 12:49 PM) Still No Letter In The Mail, But I Think I Was Denied. Feeling Depressed!
@  dereekbanks : (11 September 2014 - 12:48 PM) Claim Closed On The 8Th, Its 3 Days Later And Ebenefits Still Shows My Same Old Rating.
@  Rotor Head : (11 September 2014 - 06:20 AM) Remember, The 'e' In Ebennies Stands For Entertainment. :blink:

Photo
- - - - -

Ptsd C&p Exam Results

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
14 replies to this topic

#1 bozoc

bozoc

E-4 Petty Officer 3rd Class

• Second Class Petty Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 07:01 PM

I fortunately discovered this forum a couple of weeks ago. I am new to the whole VA process. I am a 60 y.o Vietnam combat veteran and filed a claim for PTSD last fall. I retired from work about 3 years ago and haven't worked since. I had my C&P exam for PTSD on Feb. 5th and received a call a few days later to come back to the VA. I went back Wednesday (Feb. 20th) and saw the psychiatrist. He prescribed a couple of medicines.

While at the hospital I asked for and received a copy of the C&P results for the PTSD exam. I wanted to share some of the results and see if some of the veterans of these types of claims would comment as to my prospects with the raters.

"PTSD onset is early, duration is chronic,typical frequency is daily, and intensity is severe".

DIAGNOSIS: "A Differential Diagnosis is warranted by the presence of other discrete symptom sets. The other disorders are secondary to PTSD. Alcohol abuse or dependence is not contributory to the observed diagnoses since it is likely an effort to self medicate."

Diagnostic Status: "PTSD, Chronic. Depressive Disorder NOS. Alcohol Abuse."

AXIS II: 301.9 Personality Disorder NOS with Schizoid, Avoidant
and Negativistic Traits.

AXIS III: See Medical Chart

AXIS IV: Unemployed, inadequate social support, family discord, reminders
of combat.

AXIS V: 45 serious symptoms with a few major impairments.

Discussion of GAF: Suicidal/homicidal ideation, panic, no close friends, conflicts with peers
and family.

Capacity/Competency to managge financial affairs: The veteran is competent to handle their own
funds.

Other Opinion: As requested by the board, it is the opinion of this examiner that the veteran's observed symptoms are more likely than not a result of events experienced during his active duty military experience.

Integrated Clinical Summary: Loss of adaptability (job, school, self-care, health, family, friends, and recreation): The veteran lost the ability to work, interact appropriately with family and friends and enjoy recreational activities.
-Linkage between PTSD and loss of adaptability: The veteran lost the ability to form close relationships.
-Effects of other disorders on adaptability: The other disorders are interactive and cannot be separated from PTSD.
- Pre-trauma risk factors: None
- Prognosis: Guarded
- Competency: The veteran is able to handle his finances.
- Recommendations: The veteran needs PTSD specific medication and cognitive behavioral therapy to desensitize past, and reduce automatic negative thoughts.

I'm not sure what any of this means but it is obvious I have some issues to deal with that I have put off for a long time. Could anyone venture a guess as to how my disability will be rated (if at all)? Should I wait for a rating before considering a claim for SSD?

I do want to say this. I know many, if not everyone, have had some bad experiences dealing with the VA. I am sure it is inevitable for me as well but I could not have been more satisfied with the PTSD examiner. He was observant, compassionate and seemed very competent to me.. As many of you know, these are not easy issues to discuss. Thanks in advance for any opinions.

Advertise Here

#2 Ron II

Ron II

E-8 Senior Chief Petty Officer

• Senior Chief Petty Officer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 888 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 07:22 PM

Hello,

I don't know enough about PTSD to comment on it, but I do think with the doctor's comment, "Other Opinion: As requested by the board, it is the opinion of this examiner that the veteran's observed symptoms are more likely than not a result of events experienced during his active duty military experience."-- you most certainly will qualify for compensation.

Good luck,
Ron

p.s.
I also have had positive experiences with the VARO.

Edited by Manitou Sprgs, 22 February 2008 - 07:23 PM.

#3 cowgirl

cowgirl

HadIt.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1983 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 07:27 PM

Bless you veteran and thank you for your service. Do go ahead and put in for SSDI (online if you want!) to get it started. My heart warms knowing your evaluation was positive and the outcome supportive.I hope your care continues to provide a balance for you, keep in touch, there's more help to come! cg

Edited by cowgirl, 22 February 2008 - 07:28 PM.

#4 Testvet

Testvet

HadIt.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • 2478 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 07:38 PM

I am trying to comprehend this you were NOT receiving treatment for PTSD, have been retired for 3 years, you filed a claim for PTSD get a C&P exam despite a lack of treatment or diagnosis, then after the C&P the VA ccalls you you for an appt and prescribes you some meds

coping skills, vet centers what part of this I am I missing thanks for your service but this is unusual to say the least and an just trying to understand this scenario

#5 rentalguy1

rentalguy1

HadIt.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • 2349 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 07:43 PM

Welcome to Hadit! and thank you for your service! It sounds like you had a GOOD examiner. They do exist, albeit elusive. I have had a couple recently, myself. Overall it sounds like a good C&P. The only thing that could be a negative is the AXIS II diagnosis of PD. I don't think that it will outweigh all of the other evidence that the C&P brought forward, though. From what little I know about the mental disorders, it could turn out to be a 70% evaluation, or it could turn out to be a 30% eval. I would say 50% should be about right, though. If it is less than 50%, file a NOD, for sure. Stay healthy!

#6 cowgirl

cowgirl

HadIt.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • 1983 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 07:55 PM

Did you put in for IU or get the form for unemployability? Also known as tdiu.

#7 bozoc

bozoc

• PipPipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 07:57 PM

I am trying to comprehend this you were NOT receiving treatment for PTSD, have been retired for 3 years, you filed a claim for PTSD get a C&P exam despite a lack of treatment or diagnosis, then after the C&P the VA ccalls you you for an appt and prescribes you some meds

coping skills, vet centers what part of this I am I missing thanks for your service but this is unusual to say the least and an just trying to understand this scenario

Testvet, yes that is exactly what happened. I had a couple of old army buddies that urged me to file a claim and seek treatment for PTSD. I also had some issues with headaches from old shrapnel wounds. I filed two claims at the end of Sept. '07. I had a C&P for the headaches and existing shrapnel on Jan. 8th of this year and the PTSD C&P on Feb. 5th of this year. Before Jan. 08, I had never seen a VA doctor.

I posted on here a couple of weeks ago that I had completed a C&P exam for PTSD and got a call a few days later to inform me of an appointment with a VA psychiatrist on Feb. 20th. I was asking folks on the forum if anyone knew why they would have me back so soon after the C&P. Someone said it was probably to give you meds and they were correct. The guy that did the C&P was a psychologist and apparently they can't prescribe.

#8 bozoc

bozoc

• PipPipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 08:02 PM

Thanks so much Cowgirl. I appreciate it.

#9 cowgirl

cowgirl

HadIt.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • 1983 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 08:16 PM

Anytime I can, no prob. How the meds going? Giving yourself a bit of time I hope. I get bothered with pd diagnosis's because of the frequency label for veterans here. Do you have a VSO and or do you have anyone else to process what the results mean to you? Do you agree or not agree with the doctors statement? Just thoughts from the barn here.Take care, best to ya, cg

Thanks so much Cowgirl. I appreciate it.

#10 Dale Jr. 8

Dale Jr. 8

E-5 Petty Officer 2nd Class

• First Class Petty Officer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 08:35 PM

bozoc,

Rentalguy1 hit it pretty much on the head. I would look at 50% or 30%. I don't see VA giving you 70%. I do not think that you have enough of the 70% symptoms for them to give it to you on the first go round. If you filed a notice of disagreement they may perhaps give you the 70%. DaleJR8

#11 bozoc

bozoc

• PipPipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 08:47 PM

Anytime I can, no prob. How the meds going? Giving yourself a bit of time I hope. I get bothered with pd diagnosis's because of the frequency label for veterans here. Do you have a VSO and or do you have anyone else to process what the results mean to you? Do you agree or not agree with the doctors statement? Just thoughts from the barn here.Take care, best to ya, cg

Unfortunately I've had flu symptoms for the last few days and have been taking otc stuff to combat that. I am waiting to take the psych meds until after the cold/flu is gone and I'm taking nothing else.

I have a vso but I haven't talked to him since I got a copy of the C&P. I actually thought the doctor's statement was pretty accurate. There is a lot more narrative than I've posted here. I've known for a long time that I had issues but I guess I was hoping against hope they would go away. Instead they just got worse and I suppose I finally had enough of a window of clear thought to try and find some help. A couple of old army buddies helped convince me and I'm glad they did. My wife has been a saint through all of these years. God bless her.

I am hoping these statements by the doctor will help overcome any issues with the personality disorder descriptions.

-Effects of other disorders on adaptability: The other disorders are interactive and cannot be separated from PTSD.
- Pre-trauma risk factors: None

#12 iraqx2

iraqx2

E-5 Petty Officer 2nd Class

• Chief Petty Officers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 06:37 AM

Welcome to Hadit and best of luck with your claim and treatment. You did the right thing by getting help and started the long VA process. Based on the C&P, you filed the claim already....CORRECT?? Now all you do is wait for the rating. Be patient. Have a VSO help you with the claim process. If you disagree the result, you can file a NOD. In addition, you must go to all your appointments and be in the VA system. Do not fall out of it.

Good luck

#13 Berta

Berta

HadIt.com Elder/SVR Radio Panelist

• SVR
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28716 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 07:02 AM

Did you tell VA of the schrapnel and of any residuals on that?
Scarring as well as muscular involvement from scrapnel is ratable as well as any trauma it has caused to skull, brain, etc-

Do you have the PH on your DD 214 ?

If you apply for SSA and get SSA award solely for what you claimed as SC-then this award-once VA knows of it -is good evidence (actually excellent evidence) of TDIU.

And it works Vice Versa- if VA grants TDIU this is something the SSA must consider.

"I had a C&P for the headaches and existing shrapnel on Jan. 8th of this year and the PTSD C&P on Feb. 5th of this year."
As long as you are not working, you present in my opinion a TDIU claim that can be awarded-

The VA wants you to have some adequate PTSD counseling as well as medication-
this not only helps you deal with your PTSD and get things off your chect with a trained professional but also the VAMC you deal with might have a PTSD Rap group or a local Vet Center and these are also very good means of not only dealing with PTSD but findong that you are by no means alone with it.

Also the VA loves paper-
as long as you have a continuity of treatment from the VA for PTSD- they wont mess around with any award- down the road-that they would give you now for PTSD.

The PH alone is awarded at 30 to 50 % in most cases-it is an absolute proof of stressor as the schrapnel wounds are too.

Your DD 214----- are you sure it is correct?
If I were you I would file a DD 149- the form says where and just state the unjustice part is not applicable-
I will attach it-

If the PH isnt on your DD 214 -it might have been awarded not to your knowledge (I see this on DD 214s from Nam Vets often)
and this alone will help VA award you properly (maybe-they low ball a lot)
They might even consider you as having TBI- the TBI regs are going to change-
Traumatic Brain Injury- what they are finding in OIF-OEF vets-

here is the DD 149- if they need to change your DD 214 and add anything you will get a DD 215,a smaller document then the 214 and it should be kept with the DD 214 and sent tp SSA etc-any entitly who requests a DD 214 from you.

ooops used fast reply -will attach to next post

#14 Berta

Berta

HadIt.com Elder/SVR Radio Panelist

• SVR
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28716 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 07:29 AM

Here is the DD 149

Attached Files

#15 bozoc

bozoc

• PipPipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 11:42 AM

Here is the DD 149

Thanks for all of the good information Berta. I looked at my dd 214 for the first time last summer after 37 years. The purple heart is not there. My old company commander told me who to contact to have it corrected. One of the bronze stars I was awarded has a write up that states I was wounded during the action and my old military medical records have documentation of me being hospitalized for the frag wounds so it should just be a matter of time before I hear from the department of the army. The original letter from them on July 12, 2007 said 6-9 months. There are many witnesses to me being wounded, including my old company commander, if it comes to that. Hopefully it won't.

When I went for the C&P for frag wounds and headaches on Jan. 8th they did a ct scan of my head and it says I still have 7 bb size pieces of shrapnel between my scalp and skull. They did take pictures of the scars on my back and head.

From what I have seen so far no one is questioning the wounds but the dd-214 does not have the purple heart. I need to get it corrected though so I can get free license plates for my truck. :rolleyes:

Thanks to all of you for your help and suggestions.

Advertise Here