Photo
- - - - -

Travel Pay

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
18 replies to this topic

#1 danang_1969

danang_1969

E-6 Petty Officer 1st Class

• Senior Chief Petty Officer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 07:44 PM

I understand that VA travel pay has increased to 28.5 cents per mile. A vet may go to the travel pay window at the VAMC and collect their travel pay after the visit occurs or the vet can call the eligibility office within 30 days after the visit has occurred; give your name, date of the visit, what facility you went to, and your last four and request a check be mailed to you; if no travel pay window exists at the satellite clinic you went or you failed to do it while you were there for any reason. How many vets can find this travel pay telephone number on www.va.gov? I can't. How many are aware of being eligible for this travel pay? Please anyone add any information about travel pay that I have missed or please correct in errors in my understanding. I believe many vets are missing this benefit from not being aware of these facts or not having the number of the office to call and request the check be sent to your home. I just discovered it not long ago; but all those visits that occurred over 30 days prior to finding out are not recoverable.
Danang_1969

#2 rentalguy1

rentalguy1

HadIt.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2349 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 07:50 PM

It depends on how far away you live from the VAMC/clinic as to how many visits within a one month period are required to get travel pay. I live about 30 miles from my VAMC, and I have to have appointments on four seperate days in a calendar month to be eligible for travel pay. This doesn't apply to C&P's. You always get travel pay for a C&P.

#3 majrrich

majrrich

E-4 Petty Officer 3rd Class

• Second Class Petty Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 07:50 PM

There still is a deductable ( Not sure how much it is it was $18.00 at the old rate) ,in my case I do not collect travel until I complete three visits within one month. But then it is more than twice as much as before

#4 frosty69

frosty69

E-5 Petty Officer 2nd Class

• First Class Petty Officer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 08:57 PM

the deductible is 15.65 per visit for the first 3 visits

#5 Jayg

Jayg

E-7 Chief Petty Officer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 466 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 07:50 AM

I live 65 (about) miles from My VAMC and rarely go more than once a month. All I know is that my T-pay for a regularly scheduled visit wen't from $9 to $24!
(Does disability % factor in?)

#6 danang_1969

danang_1969

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 09:52 AM

There are many unanswered questions concerning travel pay; it seems. This information should be provided on www.va.gov but itís not. We know the pay is 28.5 cents per mile but need to know what numbers to call in requesting travel pay; when no travel window is provided at the VAMC; we need to know exactly who is eligible; for how much and what instances. In all things ďwe have not because we ask notĒ as the creator of the universe explains. I donít believe that was the main topic HE was referring to; but it certainly applies the VA claims process as we all know. Many vets are 10 to 100% disabled; and the vets have not because they ask not. Many times the vet ask not; because they donít know how to ask; and in some cases the vet is not able to ask in the manner that is required by the VA to receive. Someone who is really up on travel pay would really promote things on hadit.com for the vet; by posting all the information on travel pay the VA has failed to post. Maybe VA travel pay having itís own special tab section here on hadit in the benefits process information section in redneck language.
Danang_1969

#7 Pete53

Pete53

Moderator/HadIt.com Elder

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21753 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 10:03 AM

Travel Pay is paid for treatment of a Service Connected injury and also for all Veterans who are 50% or more who live far enough away to collect it. The only way you can find out is to ask for it at the travel pay window after you go to an appointment.

A rough guess is if your round trip is over 60 miles you can get it. Or you make more than 3 visits a month. Or its a C&P or visit to treat a service connected injury.

#8 rentalguy1

rentalguy1

HadIt.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • 2349 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 10:57 AM

You can also go to the business office if the travel pay window is closed, or if there isn't one.

#9 danang_1969

danang_1969

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 11:14 AM

Thanks guys. I live over a 100 miles from the main state facility. I live almost that far from the outpost facility; where I go most of the time. This outpost facility has no window and no business office but you have to call and request it. The drill has been to call the eligibility office at the main facility for travel pay after going to the outpost facility. Since I found that telephone number from another vet and have been able to get Thur to them and request it; I have drawn travel pay and I'm only 30% for all visits. Have I drawn it unjustly or is there a variation in states rules and offices? See what I'm saying.
Danang_1969

Edited by danang_1969, 07 March 2008 - 11:17 AM.

#10 stillhere

stillhere

E-8 Senior Chief Petty Officer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1361 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 11:25 AM

Danang you are eligible per the FAQ on the VA gov site:

Reimbursement for mileage or public transportation may be paid to the following:

Veterans with service-connected disabilities rated at 30% or more;
Veterans traveling for treatment of a service-connected condition;
Veterans receiving a VA pension;
Veterans traveling for scheduled compensation or pension examinations;
Veterans whose income does not exceed the maximum VA pension rate;
Mileage reimbursement is made at the current rate of 11 cents per mile. Travel payment is subject to a deductible of $3. for each one-way trip. There is an $18. per month maximum deductible.
You are not subject to a deductible if you are traveling for a compensation or pension examination.

Looks like the VA hasn't plugged in the new rates yet.

stillhere

#11 rickzoo

rickzoo

E-3 Seaman

• Third Class Petty Officers
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 11:46 AM

I inquired about travel pay (back pay) they said they will go back 2 years. Just wondered if there is a reg or if it is local decision. I am at 70% for past year 30 % for several before that.

#12 frosty69

frosty69

E-5 Petty Officer 2nd Class

• First Class Petty Officer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 09:20 PM

at the VA where i go, Fargo, nd, they will only go back 30 days for travel pay, no exceptions, I even have asked the veteran advocate, and he says, yes, 30 days is the limit they go back, so if some VA go back 2 years, then very lucky.

#13 SLEDGE

SLEDGE

E-7 Chief Petty Officer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 10:23 PM

The clinic that services myself has a travel pay form at the desk where I check in.
You have to ask for it.

sledge

#14 Vietnam Tanker

Vietnam Tanker

HadIt.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 03:14 PM

Does anyone know the Form # to complete for travel pay????

#15 Philip Rogers

Philip Rogers

HadIt.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • 3811 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 03:18 PM

The form number is 3542. The current VA travel pay rate is 41.5 cents per mile. The first 3 trips, each month, have deductable of $6 per round trip and then the full amount is paid, for all other trips that month.

pr

Does anyone know the Form # to complete for travel pay????

Edited by Philip Rogers, 29 March 2009 - 04:26 PM.

#16 hurryupnwait

hurryupnwait

E-7 Chief Petty Officer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 04:06 PM

I travel over 300 miles round trip for many doctor visits, the last time I went they paid me $123, the next time I went, last week, the travel pay window was closed, I was given a number to the financial office and I called the day after my appointment and the next day and the next day, then finally I spoke to someone and they are suppose to send me a form to sign and return, then they will send me a check.

I was there in June last year and was told that I did not qualify for travel pay because I was not 30% SC , later I found out I was eligible for travel pay because I was there for my SC condition. When I called them back, they said that was correct, but refused to pay me because it was more than 30 days ago, even tho it was their error.
The lady got a little upset, she told me that I should be going to the closest VAMC for my treatment and when I told her that it was the closest and it was over 300 miles round trip, she went uhhh ohhh.

Such is life, living in a small hamlet, 100 people, almost everyone talks to you like you live in a city. When I tell them the closest 4 way traffic light is about 20 miles away and the next one is about 40 miles away, many people go Wow, you live in the sticks. They may call it the sticks, but I call it paradise.

Edited by hurryupnwait, 29 March 2009 - 09:44 PM.

#17 Philip Rogers

Philip Rogers

HadIt.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • 3811 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 05:30 AM

Hurryupnwait - I'd apply for the mileage for the June date and if denied, run it thru the appeal process. If you state your case they may approve it. If you don't, they win and you lose, automatically. It's a no brainer!!! jmo

pr

#18 sharon

sharon

HadIt.com Elder/Moderator

• Master Chief Petty Officer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1126 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 07:20 AM

VA Travel Reimbursement
Reimbursement for mileage or public transportation may be paid to the following:

Veterans with service-connected disabilities rated at 30% or more;
Veterans traveling for treatment of a service-connected condition;
Veterans receiving a VA pension;
Veterans traveling for scheduled compensation or pension examinations;
Veterans whose income does not exceed the maximum VA pension rate;

2009 Mileage Rate Update: Mileage reimbursement has increased from 28 cents per mile to 41.5 cents. While increasing the payment, the current deductible amounts applied to certain mileage reimbursements will remain frozen at $7.77 for a one way trip, $15.54 for a round trip, and capped at a maximum of $46.62 per calendar month. On January 9, 2009, these deductibles will decrease to $3 for a one way trip, $6 for a round trip, with a maximum of $18 per calendar month. Deductibles can be waived if they cause a financial hardship to the veteran.

The deductibles are also waived for veterans traveling for scheduled compensation or pension examinations.

#19 Philip Rogers

Philip Rogers

HadIt.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • 3811 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 07:23 AM

I believe this is the regulation that covers travel pay: 38 CFR 17.126

pr

Title 38: Pensions, Bonuses, and Veterans' Relief
PART 17óMEDICAL
Payment and Reimbursement of the Expenses of Medical Services Not Previously Authorized

Browse Previous | Browse Next

ß 17.126 Timely filing.
Claims for payment or reimbursement of the expenses of medical care or services not previously authorized must be filed within the following time limits:

(a) A claim must be filed within 2 years after the date the care or services were rendered (and in the case of continuous care, payment will not be made for any part of the care rendered more than 2 years prior to filing claim), or

(:) In the case of case or services rendered prior to a VA adjudication allowing service-connection:

(1) The claim must be filed within 2 years of the date the veteran was notified by VA of the allowance of the award of service-connection.

(2) VA payment may be made for care related to the service-connected disability received only within a 2-year period prior to the date the veteran filed the original or reopened claim which resulted in the award of service-connection but never prior to the effective date of the award of service-connection within that 2-year period.

(3) VA payment will never be made for any care received beyond this 2-year period whether service connected or not.

(Authority: 38 U.S.C. 7304)

[33 FR 19012, Dec. 20, 1968, as amended at 39 FR 1844, Jan. 15, 1974; 45 FR 53807, Aug. 13, 1980; 51 FR 8673, Mar. 13, 1986. Redesignated at 61 FR 21966, May 13, 1996]

Browse Previous | Browse Next

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For questions or comments regarding e-CFR editorial content, features, or design, email ecfr@nara.gov.

For questions concerning e-CFR programming and delivery issues, email webteam@gpo.gov.

Section 508 / Accessibility