Search

Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  chuck57thSig : (30 October 2014 - 05:51 PM) Sarti07, It's Under (Va Claims And Research) Http://www.hadit.com/forums/topic/59064-Prep-For-Decision-Phaseprovisional-Rating/
@  sarti07 : (30 October 2014 - 02:43 PM) Hello, I Just Posted A Topic About Prep For Decision.. I Have No Idea Where To Find It! Lol
@  carlie : (28 October 2014 - 03:42 PM) Reelnrod - Just Pick A Topic That Corresponds To Your Stuff And Post It
@  reelnrod : (28 October 2014 - 10:11 AM) So, How Do I Post A Topic?
@  Thadine : (28 October 2014 - 08:21 AM) Irrrl
@  Thadine : (28 October 2014 - 08:18 AM) Fishing License
@  Thadine : (28 October 2014 - 08:14 AM) Thadine Quick
@  red : (27 October 2014 - 12:14 PM) Anyone Heard Any Updates On Flying Space A For 100% Disabled Vets?
@  maxwell18 : (27 October 2014 - 10:49 AM) I Did Contact My Congressman Jeff Miller, Let's See What Will Happen
@  maxwell18 : (27 October 2014 - 10:48 AM) @britton
@  Tbird : (27 October 2014 - 04:26 AM) Thank You Larry S For Your Contribution To Our Funding Campaign
@  britton : (26 October 2014 - 07:33 PM) Everyone (Veteran's) Should Recive A Memo From The Dept Of Veterans Affairs ****notification Of Medication Scheduling Change****
@  britton : (26 October 2014 - 07:24 PM) Meds That Are Consider To Be Schedule Ii Narcotic...pain Meds Like Hydrocodone Ectt Ect,,
@  britton : (26 October 2014 - 07:22 PM) As I Understand We Only Can See The Va Dr's Every 28 Days To Renew Our Prescription Meds A New Law Went Into Effect Oct 6Th 2014....i Only See Problems Problems Problems With This...grrrrr
@  maxwell18 : (26 October 2014 - 03:52 PM) This Is Maxwell18 Would The Person Who Contacted Me (Vern2) Please Contact Me Again, I Attemped To E Mail You It Returned No Reply. Thanks
@  Tbird : (26 October 2014 - 05:12 AM) Thank You Maxwell18 For Your Contribution To Our Funding Campaign.
@  Notorious Kelly : (25 October 2014 - 07:53 PM) Max- Contact Your Congressman- Dea Has Got Docs So Cowed They're Afraid To Dispense Tylenol
@  maxwell18 : (25 October 2014 - 07:10 PM) Anybody Having Problems Getting Pain Pills (Norco) Filled Us Navy Base (Nas Whiting Fld Milton Fl). Had A Prescription For 90 Norco Pills For 30 Days, 3 A Day For Pain, Got 30 For 30 Days. That Will Last Me 10 Days. Another Thing That Our Government Is Screwing With Us. I Don't Know What To Do, Don't Want To To The Va, Don't Know What They Will Either. Anybody Goy Any Ideas. 
@  Burt : (25 October 2014 - 10:28 AM) Does Anyone Else Here Wear A Don Joy Armor Knee Brace From The Va?
@  red : (24 October 2014 - 10:10 AM) Any News On Space A Flying?

Photo
- - - - -

Gaf Of 45 To 55

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 mcso111

mcso111

E-3 Seaman

• Third Class Petty Officers
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 01:00 PM

I am reviewing my medical records from v.a. hosp and there are several insitances of a gaf either at 45 or 55, anyone know what this will relate to as what the rater would do being there is two different scores.

#2 MARINEVET

MARINEVET

E-3 Seaman

• PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 01:16 PM

Attached are the score areas I copied from the inter-net. Hope these help answer your question.

91-100 Superior functioning in a wide range of activities, life's problems never seem to get out of hand, is sought out by others because of his or her many qualities. No symptoms.
81-90 Absent or minimal symptoms, good functioning in all areas, interested and involved in a wide range of activities, socially effective, generally satisfied with life, no more than everyday problems or concerns.
71-80 If symptoms are present they are transient and expectable reactions to psychosocial stresses; no more than slight impairment in social, occupational, or school functioning.
61-70 Some mild symptoms OR some difficulty in social, occupational, or school functioning, but generally functioning pretty well, has some meaningful interpersonal relationships.
51-60 Moderate symptoms OR any moderate difficulty in social, occupational, or school functioning.
41-50 Serious symptoms OR any serious impairment in social, occupational, or school functioning.
31-40 Some impairment in reality testing or communication OR major impairment in several areas, such as work or school, family relations, judgment, thinking, or mood.
21-30 Behavior is considerably influenced by delusions or hallucinations OR serious impairment in communications or judgment OR inability to function in all areas.
11-20 Some danger of hurting self or others OR occasionally fails to maintain minimal personal hygiene OR gross impairment in communication.
1-10 Persistent danger of severely hurting self or others OR persistent inability to maintain minimum personal hygiene OR serious suicidal act with clear expectation of death.
0 Not enough information available to provide GAF.

I am reviewing my medical records from v.a. hosp and there are several insitances of a gaf either at 45 or 55, anyone know what this will relate to as what the rater would do being there is two different scores.

#3 spike

spike

E-7 Chief Petty Officer

• Senior Chief Petty Officer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 02:21 PM

I wanted to know this too as I looked at my records so I did some Q/A and research. Here is an example:

Let's say you had a flashback and had a fight with the significant other. You go to your room and what have you. You to get up in the middle of the night still feeling like crap. You go to the VA ER. Because let's say your not talking to people, you were having flash backs, nightmares, you started drinking, depressed, etc...having bad thoughts....GAF SCORE POSSIBLE 30.

After the ER, a good night's sleep after talking to the shrink, getting your med's properly dosed up....you love your girlfriend again, as you walk through the VA you find 100.00 bill on the ground nobody claims it.....your feeling great....the ER Pysch gives you a GAF Score of 100.

Here is my question to you...are you cured? No. Global Assessment of Functioning is subjective to the time, place and evaluation of the person who is evaluating how you feel. So two people in the same room at the same time seeing the same exact patient at the same exact time can come up with a different GAF score. Also according to the Diagnostic Criteria from DSM-IV-TR from the American Psychiatric Association indicates that GAF scores must consider pyschological, social and occupatioal functioning on a HYPOTHETICAL continuum of mental health-illness. It also says that they can not include your functioning due to phyiscal limitations...or disabilities....

So how much weight does a GAF score if it is "Hypothetical". If the scores range in 9pt increments how do they discriminate on scores from one being a 41 and a 46 where is the determining factor?

#4 Pete53

Pete53

Moderator/HadIt.com Elder

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21877 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 02:32 PM

GAF's are really estimates but over 50 usually 30% and under 50 can be up to 100%. This combined with working or not able to work of course. Plus other IMO's, medical records and showing a nexus to a service condition.

My advice is to not worry to much about GAF's they are hard to change unless you overwhelm with solid medical evidence and treatment.

The type of meds and strength given you by the VA is more relevant in my opinion

#5 Philip Rogers

Philip Rogers

HadIt.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3935 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 03:09 PM

Most likely the rater would rate you at 10% or 30%. The late Alex Humphrey, an attorney and a great friend of vets and Hadit.com) used to say he could get anyone a 100% w/a GAF of 50%. Unfortunately he passed away a few months back. You "should" get at least 50%, if not 70% but what you should get and reality are different.

pr

#6 rentalguy1

rentalguy1

HadIt.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • 2349 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 07:54 PM

The GAF is but one small part of the overall rating. Don't read too much into the scores, because they can change from hour to hour, and from shrink to shrink. If they get higher than 55 consistently, though, that would mean that you are only marginally impaired and will get a low rating.

#7 mcso111

mcso111

E-3 Seaman

• PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 05:52 AM

Thanks everyone for your input, so what i am taking from this is that the gaf alone doesnt hold a lot of weight but the gaf mixed with other factors is what they will rate on. again thanks for everyone's input

#8 hotcoffee2

hotcoffee2

E-2 Recruit

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 11:01 PM

the GAF is critically important. at least for a ssd determination in connecticut. my va caregiver got wind that the judges were carefully inspecting the GAF. I have a GAF of 45, which is social and occupational limitations. this in the context of other illnesses i had got me ssd in a week. (i bypassed my whacko lawyer and figured out what was needed to document the case). I submitted the case on my own and got the award a week later. gaf combined with severe major depression atypical got me ssd.

Gaf is critical in analyzing your case. it is a large part of the determination and should be looked on as such by anyone filing a psych sc case. the lower your gaf the better off you are for determination. but your case has to be well documented support the GAF score. my GAF has been the same for years, because i don't play well with people...and occasionally ran with scissors.

e='mcso111' date='Nov 4 2008, 06:52 AM' post='112464']
Thanks everyone for your input, so what i am taking from this is that the gaf alone doesnt hold a lot of weight but the gaf mixed with other factors is what they will rate on. again thanks for everyone's input
[/quote]

#9 Ricky

Ricky

E-9 Master Chief Petty Officer

• Master Chief Petty Officer
  • 2116 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 11:10 PM

Those numbers along with supporting write-ups should get you somewhere in the 50-70 percent range.

Don't worry about having two GAF's for look inside the medical records jacket of a mental patient will reveal many, many different GAF scores. It changes from day to day and sometimes even during an appointment.

#10 rentalguy1

rentalguy1

HadIt.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • 2349 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 05:52 AM

I had GAF scores in the exact same range with excellent write ups from multiple docs, including a C&P. The criteria for 50% were listed in my C&P, and I still got a 30% rating. I reiterate that the GAF is but one facet of the overall picture when dealing with the VA. It is good information to know on the SSDI end, though. Thanks pattik!