Search

Advertise Here

Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  iceturkee : (20 October 2014 - 06:50 AM) Good Luck Plum
@  Notorious Kelly : (19 October 2014 - 06:32 AM) I Wish You All The Best With That, Plum!
@  me.plum : (18 October 2014 - 01:09 PM) Hearing For Bva 11-19 At 8:30 Wow!!! Thanks Everyone!!!
@  Tbird : (18 October 2014 - 12:30 PM) Buckeye46 Thank For Contributing Our Fund Raiser
@  Notorious Kelly : (17 October 2014 - 02:11 PM) Impressive Site, Kimmy. I Bookmarked. Thanks! :)
@  Kimmy : (17 October 2014 - 08:31 AM) I Recently Discover The Site. It Is Very Detailed With Info On Conditions And Ratings.
@  Kimmy : (17 October 2014 - 08:28 AM) Has Anyone Here Been To This Site? Http://www.militarydisabilitymadeeasy.com/
@  Tbird : (17 October 2014 - 08:06 AM) Snake Eyes Thank You For Remembering Us. Congratulations On Your Retro.
@  Snake Eyes : (16 October 2014 - 07:04 PM) Thinking Of Donating A Portion Of My Retro On Next Claim. Smaller Amount Coming Beginning Of November. Thanks For The Good Work!
@  britton : (13 October 2014 - 06:13 AM) Hi There T Bird Shout Backatcha
@  Tbird : (13 October 2014 - 06:04 AM) Britton Ahoy There Matey Give You A Shout Out Back
@  Tbird : (13 October 2014 - 06:00 AM) Thank You Michael M For Your Contribution To Our Funding Campaign
@  Tbird : (13 October 2014 - 05:57 AM) Thank You Elliot K For Your Contribution To Our Funding Campaign
@  Timothy11 : (12 October 2014 - 05:58 PM) Retro Pay
@  britton : (12 October 2014 - 10:10 AM) Hey Everyone!!!......i Give A Shout!!!.......:)
@  Notorious Kelly : (11 October 2014 - 04:18 PM) Hey- There's Britton Right On Top Of The Dealy Bobber!
@  britton : (11 October 2014 - 08:47 AM) Hi Everyone! I Enjoy Reading This Site &please Remember M Fellow Veteran Brothers & Sisters Knowledge Is Power!
@  hmcquade : (10 October 2014 - 02:21 PM) @ari Have Ms
@  Tbird : (09 October 2014 - 01:13 PM) Raz Thank You For Your Helping Fund Hadit.com
@  Tbird : (08 October 2014 - 11:52 AM) Chuck75 Thank You For Your Funding

Photo
- - - - -

Claim For Depression

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 roadking

roadking

E-3 Seaman

• Seaman
  • PipPipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 09:34 AM

hello all, just want to know if anyone has put in a claim for depression due to chronic pain. I am SC with back and both knees replaced and have been on pain meds for years. Looking for a little direction thanks

Advertise Here

#2 gp747

gp747

E-8 Senior Chief Petty Officer

• Senior Chief Petty Officer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 797 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 09:51 AM

hello all, just want to know if anyone has put in a claim for depression due to chronic pain. I am SC with back and both knees replaced and have been on pain meds for years. Looking for a little direction thanks

if it was me going through all that service connected pain i wouldnt
hesitate to file for depression. have you been seeing a doctor about it?
you know how they are they are going to want some evidence . are
you taking anti depressants . i have heard somewhere you have to be
careful about taking anti depressants and pain meds. that would be another
matter going for you. i would try at least , but you are going to need
i believe some medical evidence. im saying if it were me.

#3 DickC

DickC

E-3 Seaman

• Seaman
  • PipPipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 10:45 AM

Due to chronic headaches I filed for depression also and won both claims.

#4 mags1023

mags1023

E-7 Chief Petty Officer

• Senior Chief Petty Officer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 423 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 07:21 PM

I succesfully filed for depression as secondary due to chronic pain, because I could not enjoy doing the things I used to do in the past like play golf or any sports. You do need to get it documented by going to your Dr and explaining the problems you are having. Your Dr. should then set you up with an evaluation and prescribe some type of anti depressent. Look at the rating criteria for depression and the different categories. Let the Doc know if you are having problems sleeping, anxiety or panic attacks...ect. They only rated me at 10% for my major depression, so I currently have an appeal in. Documentation is the most important thing and have take your time. Build the case before you submit to the VA. If it is weak, they will just deny and then you're fighting an up hill battle. Good luck!

#5 pdandrea

pdandrea

E-3 Seaman

• Seaman
  • PipPipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 06:40 PM

I have several claims secondary to my sc'ed condition, I put in for depression with anxiety, they granted adjustment disorder with mood disorder . When you are going Psych. choose your words carefully they can twist almost any disorder into a personality disorder which gets a big fat donut.

#6 rentalguy1

rentalguy1

HadIt.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2349 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 06:48 PM

Last year I was diagnosed with a Mood Disorder due to a General Medical Condition. The general medical conditions are IVDS, DDD, Spinal Stenosis, and bilateral knee pain. I then got my PCP to sign a nexus letter stating that the mood disorder was "at least as likely as not" related to the above conditions. I then filed for this as secondary to the above mentioned (already service connecte) condition. I was rated at 30% for this condition, and that was a low ball rating that is currently on appeal.

If you have these conditions sc'd already, then get the diagnosis from your PCP and the MH clinic at your VAMC. Get a RX for the depression, and start getting counseling. This can and does help the condition. Then get a nexus form signed. Then once you have all of this, and some medical records built up, file the claim. For information on the rating exam and criteria, click the link in my signature that says mental health claim repository.

#7 vmo

vmo

E-6 Petty Officer 1st Class

• Chief Petty Officers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 10:25 PM

I was granted by BVA, entitlement to sc for status post lumbar fusion due to lumbar spinal stenosis and spondylolisthesis and left sciatica, based on secondary aggra by the service connected left knee disorder. VARO then gave me a half a----s rating combined of 30%. (10% bilateral knee arthritis, 10% lumbar strain). I am pending DRO denovo review, because I feel the VARO low balled me on the rating. Because my claim reverts to 2001 under the old criteria, I've ask for 60% for IVDS(no fricken lumbar strain) and 20% left leg sciatica. My VA Outpat PCP tries to make me referral appt to mental health for depression, I just have not been able to cross the threshold. So I've been refusing the referral. It is all in VA med records. However, I am in deep sush and getting deeper. I am able to associate with immediate family, but no outside friends. I know I could use the help, I just can't make it to mental health. I could sure use the extra comp money as kids in high school and college. My BVA appeal was so dang long. I'm just so tired, but I know I can never settle for the VA screwing me. My knees and back are killing me. Lastly, been waiting almost 2 months (VA podiatry) for left foot brace as I have slight drop foot. Probably should be rated for that, also.

#8 cowgirl

cowgirl

HadIt.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • 1983 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 02:26 AM

Hello, to y'all, Roadking and VMO, a freindly thought regards 'crossing the threshold'. Took me several years after service to do the same. My PCP asked me standard 30 questions when attending a regular appointment. Surprised me that it popped out of my mouth, that I was sad.

Got the referral, then near three months of personal delay being nervous bout bringing up ghosts my first VA psych* c&p 'personality disorder'. The regular VA appointment was very introductory, all about me, family and service background (the basics). Much better than the c&p psych exam years earlier, clueless what to expect, that was a washout.

Having so many medical appointments to attend to really depressed and continues to depress me - SC lumbar, ddd, orthodics, vascular, jaw, mst, etc. Now I have a psych/meds and counselor/talking. Last year or so, many VA visits documented and claim well supported, helped me replace the earlier *'personality disorder' diagnosis to 'major depression.' 30% nearly a decade after service.

Thanks to Hadit, I recieve compensation benefits for depression by being here and staying proactive in getting VA benefits due me.

I hope you too get whats due you, really good advice on the replies posted before me!
Best to ya,
Cg

I was granted by BVA, entitlement to sc for status post lumbar fusion due to lumbar spinal stenosis and spondylolisthesis and left sciatica, based on secondary aggra by the service connected left knee disorder. VARO then gave me a half a----s rating combined of 30%. (10% bilateral knee arthritis, 10% lumbar strain). I am pending DRO denovo review, because I feel the VARO low balled me on the rating. Because my claim reverts to 2001 under the old criteria, I've ask for 60% for IVDS(no fricken lumbar strain) and 20% left leg sciatica. My VA Outpat PCP tries to make me referral appt to mental health for depression, I just have not been able to cross the threshold. So I've been refusing the referral. It is all in VA med records. However, I am in deep sush and getting deeper. I am able to associate with immediate family, but no outside friends. I know I could use the help, I just can't make it to mental health. I could sure use the extra comp money as kids in high school and college. My BVA appeal was so dang long. I'm just so tired, but I know I can never settle for the VA screwing me. My knees and back are killing me. Lastly, been waiting almost 2 months (VA podiatry) for left foot brace as I have slight drop foot. Probably should be rated for that, also.

Edited by cowgirl, 15 November 2008 - 03:41 AM.

#9 iraqx2

iraqx2

E-5 Petty Officer 2nd Class

• Chief Petty Officers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 04:51 PM

Are symptoms of depression, PTSD, and mood disorders treated as three different claimable conditions and reconized by the VA??

#10 Ricky

Ricky

E-9 Master Chief Petty Officer

• Master Chief Petty Officer
  • 2116 posts

Posted 16 November 2008 - 01:41 AM

Are symptoms of depression, PTSD, and mood disorders treated as three different claimable conditions and reconized by the VA??

Comp will only be paid for one MH issue no matter how many they say you have.

#11 George Patton

George Patton

E-3 Seaman

• Third Class Petty Officers
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 16 November 2008 - 12:58 PM

If you have been diagnosed with PTSD, depression, and anxiety--you will only be compensated for one mental disability. The most dominant disability will be be evaluated. For instance, in the above scenario, if PTSD is the major illness--the diagnosis will be PTSD to include depression and anxiety, or PTSD with symptoms of depression and anxiety.

Advertise Here