Search

Advertise Here

Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  raven316 : (21 October 2014 - 01:59 PM) Glasses
@  iceturkee : (20 October 2014 - 06:50 AM) Good Luck Plum
@  Notorious Kelly : (19 October 2014 - 06:32 AM) I Wish You All The Best With That, Plum!
@  me.plum : (18 October 2014 - 01:09 PM) Hearing For Bva 11-19 At 8:30 Wow!!! Thanks Everyone!!!
@  Tbird : (18 October 2014 - 12:30 PM) Buckeye46 Thank For Contributing Our Fund Raiser
@  Notorious Kelly : (17 October 2014 - 02:11 PM) Impressive Site, Kimmy. I Bookmarked. Thanks! :)
@  Kimmy : (17 October 2014 - 08:31 AM) I Recently Discover The Site. It Is Very Detailed With Info On Conditions And Ratings.
@  Kimmy : (17 October 2014 - 08:28 AM) Has Anyone Here Been To This Site? Http://www.militarydisabilitymadeeasy.com/
@  Tbird : (17 October 2014 - 08:06 AM) Snake Eyes Thank You For Remembering Us. Congratulations On Your Retro.
@  Snake Eyes : (16 October 2014 - 07:04 PM) Thinking Of Donating A Portion Of My Retro On Next Claim. Smaller Amount Coming Beginning Of November. Thanks For The Good Work!
@  britton : (13 October 2014 - 06:13 AM) Hi There T Bird Shout Backatcha
@  Tbird : (13 October 2014 - 06:04 AM) Britton Ahoy There Matey Give You A Shout Out Back
@  Tbird : (13 October 2014 - 06:00 AM) Thank You Michael M For Your Contribution To Our Funding Campaign
@  Tbird : (13 October 2014 - 05:57 AM) Thank You Elliot K For Your Contribution To Our Funding Campaign
@  Timothy11 : (12 October 2014 - 05:58 PM) Retro Pay
@  britton : (12 October 2014 - 10:10 AM) Hey Everyone!!!......i Give A Shout!!!.......:)
@  Notorious Kelly : (11 October 2014 - 04:18 PM) Hey- There's Britton Right On Top Of The Dealy Bobber!
@  britton : (11 October 2014 - 08:47 AM) Hi Everyone! I Enjoy Reading This Site &please Remember M Fellow Veteran Brothers & Sisters Knowledge Is Power!
@  hmcquade : (10 October 2014 - 02:21 PM) @ari Have Ms
@  Tbird : (09 October 2014 - 01:13 PM) Raz Thank You For Your Helping Fund Hadit.com

Photo
- - - - -

Hysterectomy

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
19 replies to this topic

#1 david walker

david walker

E-5 Petty Officer 2nd Class

• Chief Petty Officers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 09:25 AM

I have a friend who is on active duty, she will soon ETS. She had a hysterectomy immediately after the delivery of her second child (5 years ago). She planning on filing for SC. Can she do this, she's fine. I find it hard to believe she can get 50% for this and someone with real suffering can't get but 20%. I'm just a litte Peeved.

7617 Uterus and both ovaries, removal of, complete:
For three months after removal............................. \1\ 100
Thereafter................................................. \1\ 50

Advertise Here

#2 Guest_Berta_*GuestMember

Guest_Berta_*GuestMember
  • Guests

Posted 23 January 2006 - 10:36 AM

"with real suffering" - I consider this to be a traumatic event for many women- physically and mentally-
if the VA will SC it- she should file the claim for it.

#3 Wings

Wings

HadIt.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12762 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 11:07 AM

I have a friend who is on active duty, she will soon ETS. She had a hysterectomy immediately after the delivery of her second child (5 years ago). She planning on filing for SC. Can she do this, she's fine. I find it hard to believe she can get 50% for this and someone with real suffering can't get but 20%. I'm just a litte Peeved.

This is your FRIEND, and you're "PEEVED"?! Dude, you're a guy - imagine if you will, the VA removes your testicles AND your testestorone is ZERO . . . how you gonna feel?! How do you know she's "fine"?! Are you her husband???

#4 david walker

david walker

• Chief Petty Officers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 11:29 AM

Believe me she wanted no more kids. And has told me she's glad she had it done. I'm not her husband but I am her friend. She just married the guy she left her husband for. This has in no way intrupted her sex life. Point is, its something she wanted, now she's gonna try and file for it. Can she do that. I would do anything I could for except help her get over.

#5 carlie

carlie

Moderator/Admin/HadIt.com Elder/SVR Radio Panelist

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22175 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 10:40 PM

David,
It's been many, many years since doc's did hysterectomy's just for the hell of it.
I can pretty much promise you this procedure was not done as a means to no more children or just to halt her monthly cycle.
Your friend will most likely be advised to ingest possible cancer causing synthetic
hormones so she doesn't begin pre-mature menopause, as she probably will anyway. Here's some more info, good luck to your friend.
carlie

Hysterectomy: Benefits and alternatives

No woman wants a hysterectomy she doesn't need. When is this surgery really necessary, and what are the alternatives?
Hysterectomy the surgical removal of your uterus can mean survival if you're diagnosed with uterine cancer. Or if you're a woman with severe pelvic pain and heavy, irregular periods, a hysterectomy often means relief from troublesome symptoms.

As one of the most common surgeries among women, hysterectomy is second only to Caesarean section. About one in three women in the United States has had a hysterectomy by the time she reaches age 60.

Learn more about this surgery, including when it's necessary, what's involved and what your alternatives might be.

Who is it for?
Hysterectomy may be needed if you have one of the following conditions:

Gynecologic cancer. If you have a gynecologic cancer such as cancer of the uterus or cervix a hysterectomy may be an effective treatment option for you. Depending on what kind of cancer you have and how advanced it is, your other options might include hormonal therapy or radiation treatments.
Fibroids. Hysterectomy is the only permanent solution for fibroids benign uterine tumors that cause persistent bleeding, anemia, pelvic pain or bladder pressure. Fibroid tumors are common and may also be treated by nonsurgical means, depending on the size of your fibroids and the discomfort of your fibroid symptoms.
Endometriosis. If you have endometriosis, the tissue lining the inside of your uterus (endometrium) grows outside the uterus on your ovaries, fallopian tubes or other pelvic organs. This condition can cause pain or irregular bleeding. When medication or conservative surgery doesn't improve endometriosis, you might need a hysterectomy.
Uterine prolapse. Descent of the uterus into your vaginal canal can happen when the supporting ligaments and tissues weaken. Uterine prolapse can lead to urinary incontinence, pelvic pressure or difficulty with bowel movements. Hysterectomy may be necessary if other treatments including medication or exercises to strengthen the pelvic floor don't relieve this condition.
Persistent vaginal bleeding. If your periods are heavy and irregular, lasting increasingly longer each cycle, a hysterectomy may bring relief when the bleeding can't be controlled by other methods.
Chronic pelvic pain. Surgery may be necessary when evidence points to your uterus or ovaries as the source of your pain. However, many forms of pelvic pain aren't cured by hysterectomy. Seek careful evaluation before proceeding with such a radical strategy.
Hysterectomy ends your ability to become pregnant. If you think you might want to become pregnant at some future point, ask your doctor about alternatives to this surgery. In the case of cancer, hysterectomy might not be optional. But other conditions including fibroids, endometriosis and uterine prolapse offer alternative treatments that you can try first.

#6 SeattleShay

SeattleShay

• Chief Petty Officers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 11:50 PM

Let me tell you something FRIEND......
I'd like to cut off your testicles and see how you fair after that remark, since you'd still be able to have sex also.
I had a hysterectomy while on AD. I didn't want anymore children also, so I could have had a tubal, but because of medical complications was forced to have a hysterectomy.
I suffered horrible hormone imbalances..because let's face it no one in their right mind would take hormones and chance breast cancer on top of everything else.., I was suicidal because of the hormone imbalance, I have servere disc degeneration because I was 29 when I had the surgery, I have lost most of my lower jaw and all of my bottom teeth because of bone degeneration due to no hormones, my hair and skin look like hell unless I spend extra money to buy good products to use on them, I have high BP because of no hormones and heart problems that are specific to post menopausal women......
But what the HELL I CAN STILL HAVE SEX>>>SO I MUST NOT BE SUFFERING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

if I had a penis and a prostate I'd be drawing a 100%..........'-)

#7 Guest_Jim S._*GuestMember

Guest_Jim S._*GuestMember
  • Guests

Posted 24 January 2006 - 04:39 AM

It always amazes me how some men jump at the chance to stick their foot in their mouth as if they like doing it. I'ver found that when a person has had a life altering event, they try to down play it by trying to make it look like it was something good or they wanted it in the first place.

I am the youngest of five children and I remember my mother saying that had she not had her uterus removed after I was born, she would be raising kids till my father retired and she wasn't to sure about that either. She always tried to make it sound humorous, but somehow, I think she wished she was able to have at least a couple of more kids.

Later in life, you could see the toll that balancing her hormones had on her, and how you could almost compare her with someone diagnosed as being bi-polar. Then taking care of her when she went through bladder cancer with radiation and chemo therepy, after having a softball size tumor removed from the wall of her bladder.

No, I don't care what your friend said to you, their will come a time, if it hasn't arleady come, that she will be wishing she would have had another choice.

It's kind of something like when you have forgotten their birthday or Valentines day, they will be hurt but they will tell you if didn't really matter. You know when they say it doesn't matter, your in the dog house for sure. So if you hear them say it doesn't matter or their glad about it, don't take it to mean that it is etched in stone. It usually isn't.

One wise person told me once. Listen to what women say and then take it to mean the oposite, when it comes to something as important as their body is conserned. More time than not, you will have a better understanding on what they are actully saying. If this is making any since, Then you are one step out of a million closer in understanding the female psychie.

Oh! Without knowing the time table of her surgery, when she left her husband or started having relations with her new bow, I cannot comment on the psychological ramification her surgery may have played on this part of her life.

As a man speeking about women, I apologize if I have offended any of the ladys here. To the men, i'm less inclined to care. Just take it as a word to the wise and a grain of salt if you want.

Jim S. :P

#8 LizR

LizR

E-3 Seaman

• Seaman
  • PipPipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 08:53 AM

You might get a little more peeved knowing she will get extra compensation for loss of a vital organ..
Do you think woman can just ask for this surgery? Something had to be be wrong in order to get this operation. You should be concerned for your friend not peeved. I had a hysterectomy on active duty . I am 20 years past the fact and still having problems. A hysterectomy messes up your whole body system for life. You should read up on what can/will happen. It is no picnic. You do not know how someone feels or what is going on inside their body. Please do not be so judgemental unless you are informed . What you see or do not see of a disability is not always the full story. The military doctors did the surgery for a reason and not just because she wanted the surgery. Be a good friend and help her out when she is having a bad day. She may not even know the full consequences of this surgery.
Liz in Hudson Florida

#9 Nichole

Nichole

E-3 Seaman

• Seaman
  • PipPipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 09:20 AM

I wish that's all I had to worry about, when I was 22 yrs old, I had cervical cancer removed, when I was 23 I was diagnosed with alopecia, when I was 28 I had to have emergency surgery to have my gallbladder removed, when I was 27 I had breast reduction surgery due to back problems, and neck problems, not to mention the migraines caused by the weight of my breasts pulling on my neck, when I was 21 I was diagnosed with OCD, and depression, when I was 27-29, I was diagnosed with hypertension, hyperthyroid associated with Graves disease, oh and did I mention the heart and kidney meds that I have to take as well as anti-depressants...that don't work anymore because I have been on them so long, thyroid pills, and sleeping pills...oh and hyperhydrosis...(excessive sweating) and blood pressure meds.
I'll be lucky to see 50-60% disability! Oh..and I am active duty air force, have been for almost 11 years, and am being discharged because the Air Force can't handle all of my medical problems, lucky me they are sending me to see a neurologist before I seperate so they can "officialy"diagnose my migraines!!! And...I get to see a Dr. next week to have my arthritis and carpal tunnel checked out!!!
And let me add to the list that I am married, and I am currently serving on a timy little Island in the middle of the Atlantic called the Azores Island, Portugal, and I am here without my husband, and without my 7 yr old little boy and 22 month old baby girl...oh...and she doesn't even know who I am because I left when she was too young! So...just when you think you have problems...there is always someone else out there that has it worse! BUT YES...SHE SHOULD GET DISABILITY!!!!

Edited by Nichole, 24 January 2006 - 09:22 AM.

#10 david walker

david walker

• Chief Petty Officers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 09:57 AM

I'm sorry if I upset anyone. My friend had her surgery due to uterine prolapse during the birth of her 2nd child. She had alternatives, but surgery is what she wanted. She says not having a period or worrying about getting pregnant is great. I know there a women who do not have an alternatve and forgive me if I hurt anyones feelings.

#11 Nichole

Nichole

E-3 Seaman

• Seaman
  • PipPipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 10:04 AM

Oh my goodness...I hope you don't think I am upset! Not at all not in the least!
I had my tubes tied last year, when I was 28, I have medical problems, and almost wasn't able to have my 2nd child, and being pregnant with her, was a risk in itself! But I just had to have a baby girl...and I was truly bllessed ! She and I almost didn't make it. It was suggested by several Dr's that i do not have any more children, and the chances of being able to carry a baby to term was slim, so I opted to have my tubes tied. Yes...it was the best decision...but knowing that I could never have any more children...sad.
I don't think it's appropriate that people make comments about your "manhood"...thats not fair.
No worries David! It happens, and there is nothing you can do about it!
Cheers! :P

#12 david walker

david walker

• Chief Petty Officers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 10:14 AM

Thanks, I'm so happy you have a daughter.

#13 Nichole

Nichole

E-3 Seaman

• Seaman
  • PipPipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 10:18 AM

Thank You! So am I!
I just wish she knew who I was...I had to leave her when she was 18 months old to serve oversees.
There is 6yrs between my kids. They certainly do complete me! :P

#14 ashbrand29

ashbrand29

E-3 Seaman

• Seaman
  • PipPipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 01:12 PM

Hi,
I am only 24 years old and while on active duty i had a hysterectomy. about a year after being the service i started having problems. the doctor figured out what was wrong. I had Endometriosis. If you have endometriosis, the tissue lining the inside of your uterus (endometrium) grows outside the uterus on your ovaries, fallopian tubes or other pelvic organs. This condition can cause pain or irregular bleeding. When medication or conservative surgery doesn't improve endometriosis, you might need a hysterectomy. I tried everything but nothing worked and the air force was doing everything possible to kick me out but i kept fighting. i ended up having one child but i couldn't have anymore. I was given 2 things to do.... suffer with the pain and get kicked out of the military or have a hysterectomy and stay and feel better. problems was i still have problems i am only 25 and i am going through a really hard time. i ended up getting out of the service when my 4 years was up b/c i just couldn't stand how i got treated. I see you point of view on how you feel but they way i see it you have to get what you can take and i am trying to get everything i can .

ashley
70% service connected

#15 david walker

david walker

• Chief Petty Officers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 01:30 PM

I believe you are very you should get every dime you can get. I think I was misunderstood. My friend had no life treating or serious medical problems (thats what she has lead me to believe). She acts like she optied for the surgery as a form of birth control. May be I'm wrong and I aplogize. Maybe thats her way of covering. I never thought of it before. Thanks

Nicole - I pray you come home soon to be with your daughter. Believe me when I say "she knows who you are". There's no greater sacrafice made than when a mother leaves her child in service of this country. My heart breaks for you and I'm proud to serve with you - God bless you.

#16 Swan

Swan

E-3 Seaman

• Seaman
  • PipPipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 09:15 AM

Hi,
I am only 24 years old and while on active duty i had a hysterectomy. about a year after being the service i started having problems. the doctor figured out what was wrong. I had Endometriosis. If you have endometriosis, the tissue lining the inside of your uterus (endometrium) grows outside the uterus on your ovaries, fallopian tubes or other pelvic organs. This condition can cause pain or irregular bleeding. When medication or conservative surgery doesn't improve endometriosis, you might need a hysterectomy. I tried everything but nothing worked and the air force was doing everything possible to kick me out but i kept fighting. i ended up having one child but i couldn't have anymore. I was given 2 things to do.... suffer with the pain and get kicked out of the military or have a hysterectomy and stay and feel better. problems was i still have problems i am only 25 and i am going through a really hard time. i ended up getting out of the service when my 4 years was up b/c i just couldn't stand how i got treated. I see you point of view on how you feel but they way i see it you have to get what you can take and i am trying to get everything i can .

ashley
70% service connected

Ashley, I am so familiar to your situation b/c I too suffered from endometriosis to the worst extreme while in the Army but I was medically discharged for DJD/osteoarthiritis of the knees. I became pregnant in my tube because the endo was blocking the path of the growing baby so I not only lost my baby but I also lost one of my tubes and my sanity. Talk about depression. Still I got over it and moved on because I still had my other tube that would allow me to have the little girl that I wanted to mirror myself. Unfortunately, my uterus prolapsed completely outside of me and there was NO other alternative than to have it removed. I had a complete hysterectomy removing my uterus because it had fallen and both of my ovaries were removed because the endo completely took over my inner organs.

I can comprehend with all you ladies that are experiencing the multiple problems that arises from a hysterectomy. I went into surgical menopause the day I left the hospital. It was so severe I felt as though I wanted to die. I would love to take the HRT but unfortunately I suffer with fibrocystic breast disease that will only add to the 50% chance of getting breast cancer so my doctor won't prescribe me anything HRT related. Taking hormones relieves a lot of the symptoms associated with menopause but if you have endometriosis the sooner the hormones get back into your system your pain and suffering will return without a doubt! Endometriosis does not have a cure and will lie dormant in your body forever!

David your friend can only receive 50% with SMC K if she had a complete hysterectomy and with a prolapsed uterus I am for sure she still have her ovaries which warrants a 30% SC. She will receive the SMC K for loss of use and the 3 month back pay of 100%. Tell your friend not to be so happy so soon b/c as the other experienced hysterectomy survivors has stated here, It can and will get worse.

Much Love to all my sisters who are going through this horror!

Swan :P

#17 Swan

Swan

E-3 Seaman

• Seaman
  • PipPipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 10:32 AM

I am glad that this post has evolved because I know a lot of my "friends" feel as though my ailment does not warrant the level of disability that I receive. To all who feel the same, please remember that we are women and this is a woman disease and we as women tend to mask our ailments to show that we are of strong nature, even though it might be tearing us apart inside. I constantly look for someone to tell me why! I am not the wife to my husband that I used to be! Sure, intimacy can be obtained after you conquer all the obstacles, but most of the times the obstacles keep you from obtaining intimacy! I've changed and I hate it!!!

Swan

:P

#18 david walker

david walker

• Chief Petty Officers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 02:12 PM

I'm glad I wrote this post. I never understood the severity of a hysterectomy till now. I know a few friends(ladies) who have had a hysterectomy. None have ever been this up front about it. I guess its cause I'm a male. In the future I will be more considerate of them. I can better see now why a woman might try to hide her true feelings.

Thanks for setting me straight, ladies

#19 djfam

djfam

E-2 Recruit

• Seaman
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 09:02 AM

First of all, David, God bless you for seeking out this forum. Understanding of the specifics of female military life is not something we ladies are used to. Thanks!

Next, I would like to ask my military sisters if they might give me some advice on how to proceed. I recently had a hysterectomy (ovaries still in tact) due to the prolapse of my uterus. I worked for over 5 years in the radio repair field. The equipment was all "two-man" lift but there were rarely 2 of us together to lift anything. I began to notice changes after we came back from Desert Storm, usually during PT, when we were running and bouncing around. At first, I mentioned it to the GYNs when I was on active duty but was told it would be years before it would be a problem.

I made it to 42 years old, then it was just too much to deal with. I had to have my uterus removed, bladder and rectal repair. VA actually paid for it all. I want to petition VA to increase my disability but I don't even know where to begin. Do any of you have advice? I start to research and am quickly overwhelmed.

:)

Thanks for listening.

Dorie
20% Service Connected

#20 hupp42

hupp42

E-3 Seaman

• Seaman
  • PipPipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 11:52 AM

I am glad that this post has evolved because I know a lot of my "friends" feel as though my ailment does not warrant the level of disability that I receive. To all who feel the same, please remember that we are women and this is a woman disease and we as women tend to mask our ailments to show that we are of strong nature, even though it might be tearing us apart inside. I constantly look for someone to tell me why! I am not the wife to my husband that I used to be! Sure, intimacy can be obtained after you conquer all the obstacles, but most of the times the obstacles keep you from obtaining intimacy! I've changed and I hate it!!!

Swan

Posted Image

I too am glad that this post has evolved. I currently have an appeal case and attended my c&p exam yesterday. I had high grade dysplasia w/hpv effect and filed for SC for that in July of 08. They flat out denied it being service connected even tho the medical evidence is there... and I appealed of course, requesting DRO review...also adding cervical cancer/hysterectomy related to the hpv. Since Hpv is the leading cause of cervical cancer.
Anyway, I went this morning got the c&p report and his words are "Therefore, per the question posed, this veteran's HPV finding in service is most certainly related to the squamous cell carcinoma of the cervix/hysterectomy."
They removed cervix, uterus and partial of one ovary... why they did that hell only knows but i had a tumor on my ovary and they left part of an ovary UGH... which resulted in a tubo/ovarian abscess that nearly killed me because I thought they took my ovary and I thought it was my appendix. Ultrasound failed to detect an ovary but surgery report says they didn't take it all...SO...I dont know where that leaves me as far as ovaries are concerned.

So my question is if anyone knows... I am currently rated at 80%... 50 for depression, 10 for degenerative disc disease of the Lspine, 10 right knee surgical repair, 10 left knee surgical repair, 10 right hip, 10 left hip, and 10 for jaw dislocation/tmj
How will this affect my rating? and what maybe do I have to look forward to as far as back pay...

I appreciate all help and if that even means reposting on another thread to get some answers.

Thanks!

Advertise Here