Photo
- - - - -

Tinnitus And Secondary Claims

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 ddm39142002navy

ddm39142002navy

E-3 Seaman

• Seaman
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 03:05 PM

I filed a claim for hearing loss, depression and or adjustment disorder and Ed,
I was turned down for every thing but the tinnitus.
I am now claiming the depression secondary to tinntitus that or any mental health issues and Ed all with new evidence and increase in medicine due to my tinnitus excaberating my depression as stated By a VA Doctor who examined me.
What are the odds on me getting tinittus secondary and even thouth I was turned down does the fact that I submitted new evidence go in my favor.

#2 Cavman

Cavman

E-7 Chief Petty Officer

• Senior Chief Petty Officer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 03:26 PM

I think it will be almost impossible, but if for some reason you get it there would be a stampede of vets following suit.

Cavman

#3 carlie

carlie

Moderator/Admin/HadIt.com Elder/SVR Radio Panelist

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22282 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 05:01 PM

[quote name='ddm39142002navy' date='Jan 5 2009, 04:05 PM' post='122733']
I filed a claim for hearing loss, depression and or adjustment disorder and Ed,
I was turned down for every thing but the tinnitus.
Congrats on your Tinnitus claim win.

I am now claiming the depression secondary to tinntitus that or any mental health issues and Ed all with new evidence and increase in medicine due to my tinnitus excaberating my depression as stated By a VA Doctor who examined me.
Good luck on this as I see it as a long shot of a claim - Depression secondary to Tinnitus.
As for a doctor stating anything - the real question is, what EXACTLY did the doctor
put in writing ?

What are the odds on me getting tinittus secondary and even thouth I was turned down does the fact that I submitted new evidence go in my favor.

Tinnitus as secondary ????
Did you intend to post Depression as secondary ??
If so I opinioned above on it.

Good luck with your goals.
carlie

#4 john999

john999

HadIt.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22379 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 05:05 PM

If the VA doctor says tinnitus aggravated your depression and gives a rational for it I think you have a good chance of having depression granted as secondary. That is basically what it takes to win a secondary type claim is a medical opinion. Are there other NSC conditions that could be responsible for your depression? The VA might try to hang their hat on NSC conditions to explain your depression, but your secondary claim sounds good to me. What many or most vets don't know is that any disability can and often does cause depression.