Search

Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  chuck57thSig : (30 October 2014 - 05:51 PM) Sarti07, It's Under (Va Claims And Research) Http://www.hadit.com/forums/topic/59064-Prep-For-Decision-Phaseprovisional-Rating/
@  sarti07 : (30 October 2014 - 02:43 PM) Hello, I Just Posted A Topic About Prep For Decision.. I Have No Idea Where To Find It! Lol
@  carlie : (28 October 2014 - 03:42 PM) Reelnrod - Just Pick A Topic That Corresponds To Your Stuff And Post It
@  reelnrod : (28 October 2014 - 10:11 AM) So, How Do I Post A Topic?
@  Thadine : (28 October 2014 - 08:21 AM) Irrrl
@  Thadine : (28 October 2014 - 08:18 AM) Fishing License
@  Thadine : (28 October 2014 - 08:14 AM) Thadine Quick
@  red : (27 October 2014 - 12:14 PM) Anyone Heard Any Updates On Flying Space A For 100% Disabled Vets?
@  maxwell18 : (27 October 2014 - 10:49 AM) I Did Contact My Congressman Jeff Miller, Let's See What Will Happen
@  maxwell18 : (27 October 2014 - 10:48 AM) @britton
@  Tbird : (27 October 2014 - 04:26 AM) Thank You Larry S For Your Contribution To Our Funding Campaign
@  britton : (26 October 2014 - 07:33 PM) Everyone (Veteran's) Should Recive A Memo From The Dept Of Veterans Affairs ****notification Of Medication Scheduling Change****
@  britton : (26 October 2014 - 07:24 PM) Meds That Are Consider To Be Schedule Ii Narcotic...pain Meds Like Hydrocodone Ectt Ect,,
@  britton : (26 October 2014 - 07:22 PM) As I Understand We Only Can See The Va Dr's Every 28 Days To Renew Our Prescription Meds A New Law Went Into Effect Oct 6Th 2014....i Only See Problems Problems Problems With This...grrrrr
@  maxwell18 : (26 October 2014 - 03:52 PM) This Is Maxwell18 Would The Person Who Contacted Me (Vern2) Please Contact Me Again, I Attemped To E Mail You It Returned No Reply. Thanks
@  Tbird : (26 October 2014 - 05:12 AM) Thank You Maxwell18 For Your Contribution To Our Funding Campaign.
@  Notorious Kelly : (25 October 2014 - 07:53 PM) Max- Contact Your Congressman- Dea Has Got Docs So Cowed They're Afraid To Dispense Tylenol
@  maxwell18 : (25 October 2014 - 07:10 PM) Anybody Having Problems Getting Pain Pills (Norco) Filled Us Navy Base (Nas Whiting Fld Milton Fl). Had A Prescription For 90 Norco Pills For 30 Days, 3 A Day For Pain, Got 30 For 30 Days. That Will Last Me 10 Days. Another Thing That Our Government Is Screwing With Us. I Don't Know What To Do, Don't Want To To The Va, Don't Know What They Will Either. Anybody Goy Any Ideas. 
@  Burt : (25 October 2014 - 10:28 AM) Does Anyone Else Here Wear A Don Joy Armor Knee Brace From The Va?
@  red : (24 October 2014 - 10:10 AM) Any News On Space A Flying?

Photo

Space A Travel For 100% P&t

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 sweettator

sweettator

E-3 Seaman

• Third Class Petty Officers
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Service Connected Disability: 100%
  • Branch of Service: Army

Posted 10 February 2009 - 04:48 PM

I was reading that there is a bill trying to be passed allowing space a travel for disabled vets. Has anyone heard if this bill was passed or may get passed? Also, are we allowed to use billeting on bases or places like Bellows Beach in Hawaii? Vicky

#2 tagandbag

tagandbag

HadIt.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts
  • Service Connected Disability: tdiu
  • Branch of Service: usa

Posted 10 February 2009 - 05:08 PM

Uhm, sweettator are you on planet earth. Never heard anything about disabled vet getting a free ride to the mothersip. Geez, it cost several hundred k, just to get your ashes spread in space. Maybe its a ploy and they will gives a one way ticket into space on a freight spaceship (called ship-o-plenty). to never return to collect any bennys. Think I;ll stay on earth and consolult with major tom. :D

T&B

#3 tssnave

tssnave

E-8 Senior Chief Petty Officer

• Senior Chief Petty Officer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 848 posts
  • Branch of Service: USA

Posted 10 February 2009 - 06:23 PM

T&B,

Not sure if your post is serious or not since you were in the Army but just in case you were serious - I think sweettator meant Space A as in Space Available which is what we all had (whether or not we knew it, I was on a post that had an Air Base next to it) when we were on active duty. We could ride Space A on the Air Force planes if there was a seat available on the plane. Lots of GIs would use it to go over to Germany. The only problem with Space A is that you may get somewhere and not have a flight with any Space A seats on it when you want to get home so you may have to purchase a ticket home.

However, if you are flexible in your departure and return and don't mind riding in a red net seat then Space A travel is a great way to see the world.

Go Army!
TS Snave

Edited by tssnave, 10 February 2009 - 06:25 PM.

#4 jbasser

jbasser

Moderator/HadIt.com Elder/SVR Radio Panelist

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6262 posts
  • Interests:Fishing.
  • Service Connected Disability: 100+
  • Branch of Service: USN

Posted 10 February 2009 - 07:11 PM

Bob filner starrted this one and it died. it never made it to committee.
We can all hope a new version gets passed.

John

#5 LarryJ

LarryJ

Hadit.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • 3214 posts
  • Interests:Veterans Service Officer
  • Branch of Service: USMC

Posted 10 February 2009 - 09:14 PM

Well, I don't exactly know how I did it......but, I guess it is "at the discretion of the Base Commander"....but, the wife and I just went to Las Vegas a couple of months ago on the General's Gulfstream. I was just out at the Fort Worth NAS and Joint Reserve Base and mentioned that I wish we could just leave town for the weekend and the next thing I know this friend of mine has me standing at the counter with this really nice E5. All I had to show 'em was my MWR card and, bingo, the next day (Friday) we took off at 0800 for Nellis AFB and returned at 1800 on Sunday. No net seats on that bird. Wife made me put on a coat and tie.
I could get used to bein' a O8......nice work if you can get it.

#6 Jim MAC

Jim MAC

E-6 Petty Officer 1st Class

• Chief Petty Officers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • Service Connected Disability: 90
  • Branch of Service: USAF

Posted 10 February 2009 - 09:46 PM

I was reading that there is a bill trying to be passed allowing space a travel for disabled vets. Has anyone heard if this bill was passed or may get passed? Also, are we allowed to use billeting on bases or places like Bellows Beach in Hawaii? Vicky

The bill is being put up again this year I read it in this weeks AF time. It is being sponsierd by Sen Daniel Inouye D-Hawaii. The bill he is sponsring is S66 for space avabile flights. You can connect your senators and ask them to sign on. I don't see what the problem is is does not cost the DOD a dime to allow a disabled Vet Space A travel. You will be a priorty six like us ROFS from the miltiray(retired old folks) who are retired. This bill might have a chance this year due to the good senator now being made the chairmen of the apporaptions commitee which overseas all funding for federal agenceys.

Jim

Source Air Force Times
date 16 feb 09 page 6

#7 tagandbag

tagandbag

HadIt.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts
  • Service Connected Disability: tdiu
  • Branch of Service: usa

Posted 11 February 2009 - 08:27 AM

T&B,

Not sure if your post is serious or not since you were in the Army but just in case you were serious - I think sweettator meant Space A as in Space Available which is what we all had (whether or not we knew it, I was on a post that had an Air Base next to it) when we were on active duty. We could ride Space A on the Air Force planes if there was a seat available on the plane. Lots of GIs would use it to go over to Germany. The only problem with Space A is that you may get somewhere and not have a flight with any Space A seats on it when you want to get home so you may have to purchase a ticket home.

However, if you are flexible in your departure and return and don't mind riding in a red net seat then Space A travel is a great way to see the world.

Go Army!
TS Snave

TS,
I was half serious and joking around, I did not see the "a" between space and travel. Sorry sweettator, I guess the jokes on me. As they say smarty, smarty had a party and nobody came. I have a buddy who uses the stand by on military flights and also the military vacation and base facilities. Him and his wife love it and very inexpnsive. Again sorry for the misunderstanding.

T&B

#8 Commander Bob

Commander Bob

E-9 Master Chief Petty Officer

• HadIt.com Elder
  • 1616 posts
  • Service Connected Disability: 120%

Posted 11 February 2009 - 11:56 AM

I have used Space A on many flights, over the years. When I was active in the veterans community, I would fly up to DC for meetings etc. Once, the pilot let me sit in the jump seat, up in the cock pit when he landed at Andrews AFB. What a trip. Great memories.

#9 Pete53

Pete53

Moderator/HadIt.com Elder

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21877 posts
  • Interests:My Family

Posted 11 February 2009 - 07:55 PM

It comes up every two years and always is killed by DOD. Don't pay t get excited by proposed legislation cause most of the time its a scam to make voters happy.

#10 sharon

sharon

HadIt.com Elder/Moderator

• Master Chief Petty Officer
  • 1126 posts
  • Interests:Veterans Advocacy

Posted 11 February 2009 - 09:02 PM

Yes, your are allow to use billeting. All you have to do is show your ID card provided to TDIU and 100% P&T veterans.

#11 RetiredVet

RetiredVet

E-4 Petty Officer 3rd Class

• Second Class Petty Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Service Connected Disability: 100

Posted 07 June 2009 - 03:26 AM

why fly unless going overseas? too many peopel fly and missses the great country we have. or in too big a hurry, but say they are never in a hurry.

lot beteer places to see than hawaii. of all the states hawaii is the biggest tourist trap. but they promote it that way.

#12 Pete53

Pete53

Moderator/HadIt.com Elder

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21877 posts
  • Interests:My Family

Posted 07 June 2009 - 05:15 AM

They have been running that one up the flag pole every two years since I noticed in 1991 and it has yet to pass.

#13 Teac

Teac

• 1158 posts
  • Interests:Im really 100%+ 150 more
  • Service Connected Disability: 100+

Posted 07 June 2009 - 11:58 AM

Yes, your are allow to use billeting. All you have to do is show your ID card provided to TDIU and 100% P&T veterans.

Actually, it depends on the military base. Some allow use of the transit quarters others don't. I have used them since I retired and have been turned away from many of them. Fort Gorden comes to mind as one that would not allow a retiree to use the billits. Fort Jackson on the other hand allowed use, but the ones we were assigned to were so worn out and dirty that we moved off base the next day.....

Randolpha AFB has nice transit quarters, complete with a mini kitchen at a very low cost. Ft Sam Houston forget it never happen GI..... too many soldiers not enougth transit quarters....

so as I said it depends on the base.....

AS for space A. It is very hard to find a flight when you need it, when you find one, there seems to be a lot of soldiers , and retirees trying to get on a flight. It is not true that giving space a to 100% or TDIU veterans would not cost the government any more money. These flights burn up fuel somewhat in part to the weight of the cargo, or passengers, and we all know what fuel cost these days. I for one hope that this is one benefit that is not given to 100% or TDIU because as I said there never seems to be enought seats for the retirees and active duty soldiers when we need one. I have spent many a day burning time because I could not get a flight out due to a number of reasons, no available seat being the reason most of the time. ..

#14 LarryJ

LarryJ

Hadit.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • 3214 posts
  • Interests:Veterans Service Officer

Posted 07 June 2009 - 12:11 PM

BTW, most Navy stations have what are called Navy Lodge's.
All of them that I have seen have been less than 5 years old, and very reminiscent of a very nice Best Western Hotel.
There was a concert over in Ft. Worth here a while back, and it was very late when it was over, so I had stopped on our way to the concert to check, and yes, they had several rooms available. So we just stopped there and spent the night instead of driving home. Cost, I believe, was $35.

#15 retiredat44

retiredat44

• 783 posts
  • Interests:Not able to pursue many interests at this time. My health prevents me from doing much. I wish I could go back to hiking, photography, etc..
  • Service Connected Disability: 60%

Posted 12 August 2010 - 10:12 PM

I think I chimned in about Space 'A' in another thread.. a while back..

while i was active duty I flew a lot of Space A. The downside is being stuck at crappy palces for up to 3 days waiting for a flight,, and being bumped.. sometimes there is no lodging and you must hang around a really craphole in misreable weather.. other times, you would gewt going on a huge C-5 with only 5 people.. other times crowded a/c, other times a lear jet with 3 people.. it viried all the time.. back then it was free then, they bumped the price to about $10.00 to Europe.. which included a flight kitchen sack meal..

MY big problem, if I ever get my full benefits , if I get the 100% SC- P%T, is that it would be nice to travel, I am in extremely poor health... I need access to a local VA clinic, hospital within short nitice...

The accomadations can be from nice to craphole..

but hey, the price is usually right!

I wil find out soon if I get my full 100%. But, I can't imagine flying around in my condition,, taking morphine, in sever epain, and chronic fatigue.. but I can dream..
:unsure:

#16 Testvet

Testvet

HadIt.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • 2478 posts
  • Interests:online veterans advocate

Posted 13 August 2010 - 03:55 PM

each military guest house depends on space being available and the rules from the Commanding Officer most allow it a few won't it is always best to call ahead

space A flights will always leave some people jealous active duty retirees etc if they give it to 100% or even TDIU vets then vets that are rated from 10% to 90% will be jealous regardless of how much it cost to fly the plane if it is going from point a to point b and it has empty seats and there is an authorized body that wants a ride on it I could care less who gets it unless someone has a priority travel authorization and the govt says they get the seat it should be first come first served on standby by flights

it's cheaper and more dependable to buy the cheap seats a month ahead of time usually flying space a you spend more money on guest rooms and food in restaurants than you would just buying a seat on a plane I bought my brother a round trip from LA to Atlanta 129 each way he's coming in January he thought about riding the bus so it would be cheaper I asked him how much he thought the bus ticket was and all those meals for 3 days each way the discount plane tickets are a LOT cheaper

#17 Chuck75

Chuck75

HadIt.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • 1458 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 09:37 AM

The use of base MWR facilities by 100% disabled veterans is a "local policy" matter. Availability is another issue. (Lodging and so forth)
Space "A" travel was proposed, and I haven't heard of any decisions. Space "A" availability has always been a problem, even for those on leave with orders.
(Not what you wanted to hear!)
You can use the web to locate phone numbers of various bases and facilities, and some details. http://bellowsafs.com/Default.asp seems to be a place to start

#18 Watchdog311

Watchdog311

E-2 Recruit

• Seaman
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:Former Postal Employee and Labour Activist

Posted 26 January 2013 - 01:48 PM

You got two chumps/moderators at Military.com forum who are tying anchors to this issue, so don't go there.  And they slam Vets looking for help half the time.

There is a new bill.  Contact your Reps to get this out of commitee and signed.  This is what I sent to the Armed Services Committee.  And if you go to Open Congress web site, it will help you contact ALL your Congress reps at once...

"Honorable Chairman Howard P. McKeon

Armed Services Committee

2120 Rayburn House Office Bldg.
Washington, DC 20515

Reference:  H.R.164 Space Availability travel for service connected Permanently Disabled Veterans

Versions of this bill have been floating around the halls of Congress for decades.  I pray that you will move it out of committee
and onto the floor.

Taking care of Disabled Veterans who were not medically retired from their service, yet sustained injuries severe enough to warrant a permanent and total rating is a small benefit to extend to us.  Many of us pine for our days in the Military and traveling to see the wonders of our sacrifices, here and around the world.

The aircraft we would be able to fly on give priority to our Nation’s defense and we would only be occupying seats which would have been left empty.  It is hard to imagine why this has not been enacted before.

Your endorsement and help in passing this legislation would certainly be another accolade you could cite as your support for America’s permanently Disabled Veterans.  And it would be nearly cost-free."

Edited by Watchdog311, 26 January 2013 - 01:58 PM.

#19 guerrette

guerrette

E-2 Recruit

• New User Review
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 07:54 AM

If you wish to support Space A Travel Eligiblity for 100% DAV. Please click on the link below and sign the petition to be forwarded onto our Congressmen/women.

Thanks

http://petitions.mov...vel-eligibility

#20 guerrette

guerrette

E-2 Recruit

• New User Review
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 10:25 AM

After doing more research this morning, I found that an actual bill was brought before the House in June and was passed to amend the Space A Travel Program to include 100% PT SC DAV. :) Woohoo! Now, everyone, get on the horn, emails, websites and write your state Senators telling them how much this would mean for them to pass this bill when it finally comes up for a vote in the Senate. Now is the time to act!

#21 Mikemmlj

Mikemmlj

E-5 Petty Officer 2nd Class

• Chief Petty Officers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts
  • Service Connected Disability: 100
  • Branch of Service: US Army

Posted 07 August 2014 - 09:08 PM

Any update on this?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users