Photo

Looking For A Great Attorney For A Chapter 31 Denial Case

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 RickyO

RickyO

E-2 Recruit

• Seaman
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 11:13 AM

Anyone have one?

I've had it with these bureaucrats the VA hires. Especially the non-Veterans, who have know clue what we are talking about.
The one they assigned me isn't a Vet, understands VA double-speak, but has absolutely no common sense.
I sent my complaint to the Director's office in Washington, and they forwarded it back to the idiots.
I was Infantry in Vietnam, wounded, and did my job. This is what I took shrapnel for.

I need a good lawyer who has some experience fighting the VA.

p.s. Here's how they see us. I've heard this more than once from VA staff: "You get a disability for a scar." My response: Yea bitch, I have a scar. I also spent 6 months before that, sleeping in rice paddies, being sucked dry by leeches, in monsoon rains and wet for months at a time, with crotch of my fatiques rotted out, with puss oozing from sores on my feet, wondering when the next round of sniper fire would come in, looking for trip wires and false bottom pits with pungie stakes, and really not caring much about tomorrow because I wasn't sure I would make it out of today. But you're right, it's only a scar; one that occurred when shrapnel ripped through my skin, through the muscle, and came to rest somewhere in side. This why someone was wiping your ass when you were 18 months old, and would have no memory of it all." By the way, I'm 60% disabled, have been out of work for years and am trying to resurrect myself in the job market. I've gone ahead with training, going thousands in debt, and while the VA sees me as unworthy, four local agencies have been able to pitch a few dollars here and there.

Screw the VA. I'm setting every recruit I meet straight. If they are going into the service for the benefits, rethink it.

#2 Pete53

Pete53

Moderator/HadIt.com Elder

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21902 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 05:44 PM

Ricky:

Have you asked for TDIU? Have you filed for Social Security?

Good Luck on getting a job.

#3 JR Reihs

JR Reihs

HadIt.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 09:54 PM

Ricky,

If the Va has denied you Voc rehab......you should use it to your advantage for a IU claim.

#4 RickyO

RickyO

E-2 Recruit

• Seaman
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 08:37 AM

Okay, I'm new at this.

What is an IU and a TDIU?

#5 Philip Rogers

Philip Rogers

HadIt.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4002 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 02:51 PM

RickyO - IU is individual unemployability and TDIU is total disability based on individual unemployability, which currently pays $2673 a month for a single vet.

pr

Okay, I'm new at this.

What is an IU and a TDIU?

Edited by Philip Rogers, 11 April 2009 - 02:51 PM.

#6 RickyO

RickyO

E-2 Recruit

• Seaman
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 04:42 PM

That's not my goal.

My goal is to get back to work.

My goal also is to get this totally screwed up VA to understand they are suppose to be helping the Vet, not putting up arcane reasons why he or she 'might' fail.

30 years, and nothing's changed. The VA is still the Veterans worst enemy.

#7 john999

john999

HadIt.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22380 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 08:26 PM

Take the TDIU. This is a hell of a time to try and get a job even if you are trained. If you do go through voc rehab how old will you be when you get done? Is anyone going to want to hire you? Think about it. If you get TDIU it lasts for a lifetime. No pension I know pays that good. Most companies don't even offer pensions now days, and you can't live on SSA when you get to be 65.

#8 Cruinthe

Cruinthe

E-5 Petty Officer 2nd Class

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 04:07 PM

First off, if you were infantry and you have the CIB, you should be 100% T&P, no if's and's or but's. With a PH tossed in for good measure, there is absolutely no logical reason you would not be 100% with SSDI. I wont bother asking who is handling your claim, I dont want to be banned for expressing an opinion here, regardless of how true it may be.

As far as being turned down for C.31, look at the paperwork and see if says you are unsuitable for the program due to an issue of post-graduation employability. If anything says that, or something like it, the VA just handed you 100% by saying they dont want to waste C.31 cash on you because they question your ability to get and keep a job...thus INDIVIDUAL UNEMPLOYABILITY!

Lastly, since you are 60%, my opinion is you should look into the Independent Living Program. In all likelyhood, you will reach 100%, so ILP is more suited to your needs. Im having great fun with the ILP program myself, so if you need some pointers, shoot me a message. On a good note, keep in mind that the first step to getting into ILP is getting DENIED VocRehab.

Anyone have one?

I've had it with these bureaucrats the VA hires. Especially the non-Veterans, who have know clue what we are talking about.
The one they assigned me isn't a Vet, understands VA double-speak, but has absolutely no common sense.
I sent my complaint to the Director's office in Washington, and they forwarded it back to the idiots.
I was Infantry in Vietnam, wounded, and did my job. This is what I took shrapnel for.

I need a good lawyer who has some experience fighting the VA.

p.s. Here's how they see us. I've heard this more than once from VA staff: "You get a disability for a scar." My response: Yea bitch, I have a scar. I also spent 6 months before that, sleeping in rice paddies, being sucked dry by leeches, in monsoon rains and wet for months at a time, with crotch of my fatiques rotted out, with puss oozing from sores on my feet, wondering when the next round of sniper fire would come in, looking for trip wires and false bottom pits with pungie stakes, and really not caring much about tomorrow because I wasn't sure I would make it out of today. But you're right, it's only a scar; one that occurred when shrapnel ripped through my skin, through the muscle, and came to rest somewhere in side. This why someone was wiping your ass when you were 18 months old, and would have no memory of it all." By the way, I'm 60% disabled, have been out of work for years and am trying to resurrect myself in the job market. I've gone ahead with training, going thousands in debt, and while the VA sees me as unworthy, four local agencies have been able to pitch a few dollars here and there.

Screw the VA. I'm setting every recruit I meet straight. If they are going into the service for the benefits, rethink it.

#9 hawkfire27

hawkfire27

E-5 Petty Officer 2nd Class

• Chief Petty Officers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 19 December 2009 - 11:22 PM

Hi RickyO

I know 100% is not what you want. My husband didn't want it either. BUT!

He gets the 100% rate from VA and with that he got 100% SSD (Social Security Disability)

Through the ILS (Independant Living Services) program provided by the VA, they taught him to be a jeweller as weel, as a "hobby". He uses this to fill in his time, just like a job, he sells little bits here and there and set up his own small (tiny) business, but gives most away as gifts. (Yes he does pay tax on what he sells)

So it's worked out quite well. Sometimes you just gotta go with the flow. He tried getting a job for over a year, no one wanted to hire him. The only people who really do is Civil Service or the VA... I guess you could try that!

Good Luck