Search

Advertise Here

Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  cragwex : (30 September 2014 - 06:35 AM) Decision & Claims File Dispatch And Pay
@  Tbird : (29 September 2014 - 05:45 PM) Dano Thanks For Your Contribution.
@  artlouis : (29 September 2014 - 04:07 PM) Nehmer Heart Transplant
@  vet201060 : (25 September 2014 - 11:28 PM) Reduced Va Disability Rating????
@  vet201060 : (25 September 2014 - 11:27 PM) Has Anyone Personally Been Reduced, Not Asking If You Know Some But If You Have Been Reduced
@  WVSERVER : (25 September 2014 - 12:16 PM) Test
@  lcurle : (22 September 2014 - 12:49 PM) Ebennies Is Down: Error Code [47]: The System Is Currently Unavailable. Please Try Again Later. If This Problem Continues, You May Contact The Dmdc Support Center (Dsc) At 800-477-8227 For Assistance.
@  Notorious Kelly : (21 September 2014 - 07:04 AM) Thanks, T, And Kudos To Kacy!
@  Tbird : (21 September 2014 - 12:48 AM) Forum Is Back Up And Running. We Lost Some Posts, But Were Able To Restore All The Posts To Sep 17. A Big Thank You To Member Kacy For Volunteering And Getting This Fixed.
@  raptorick : (20 September 2014 - 10:12 PM) Posts After The 17Th Are Missing
@  YellowGTO : (17 September 2014 - 01:37 PM) I Can See Reply's In My Email But When I Click The Link It Says "sorry, We Couldn't Find That!" Anyone Have Any Ideas?
@  cragwex : (15 September 2014 - 10:22 AM) Asking For T & P
@  NeverGiveUp : (14 September 2014 - 01:19 PM) Got Denial Letter From Va On Friday, Having Surgery For Hip This Friday Need Advice
@  Tbird : (13 September 2014 - 02:39 PM) Thank You Notorious
@  Notorious Kelly : (12 September 2014 - 02:52 PM) Happy To See The Donate Button For Hadit. No Pressure If You're Struggling But Give If You Can!
@  vet201060 : (11 September 2014 - 11:49 PM) Got The Dea Letter For Pain Killers Today. Interesting To See How This Actually Effects Us Getting Our Meds
@  bad@57 : (11 September 2014 - 07:07 PM) Hello Vets, Had A Very successful Bva Hearing August 20, 2014. Submitting Final Paperwork To Judge For Decision. Wish Me Luck As I Do All!
@  dereekbanks : (11 September 2014 - 12:49 PM) Still No Letter In The Mail, But I Think I Was Denied. Feeling Depressed!
@  dereekbanks : (11 September 2014 - 12:48 PM) Claim Closed On The 8Th, Its 3 Days Later And Ebenefits Still Shows My Same Old Rating.
@  Rotor Head : (11 September 2014 - 06:20 AM) Remember, The 'e' In Ebennies Stands For Entertainment. :blink:

Photo

Ptsd Exam Wrong?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 Phillies44

Phillies44

E-3 Seaman

• Seaman
  • PipPipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 06:22 AM

I am trying to be patient, but I wanted to know what others thought. Two weeks ago I had my PTSD c&p exam, it was only twenty minutes and he only asked me basic questions. He only asked me two about combat and the rest were about my daily living and mental status. He gave me a DX of Generalized Anxiety Disorder and a GAF of 52. He also put in things I did not say and twisted some things I did say around. He also put that I did not meet the criteria for ptsd. I was wondering how could he come to this conclusion, when he barely saw me for my first ptsd exam? It is almost like he had read my charts and already had a DX for me before he saw me. I feel powerless and wanted to know what do now? Just wait or is there something I could do? Thanks

Advertise Here

#2 Pete53

Pete53

Moderator/HadIt.com Elder

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21841 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 09:57 AM

Who knows how they come up with anything except its pretty well known that VA does not want to grant PTSD claims. Did he connect your anxiety to Service?

Are you working. A 52 GAF is a pretty serious rating in its own right.

Welcome to Hadit

#3 purple

purple

E-8 Senior Chief Petty Officer

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1416 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 10:38 AM

Do you have a copy of your SMRs? Do you know if there exists in there a dx of GAD? Or a dx of PTSD? If there is something written in your SMRs pointing in either direction already that could answer many questions.

As far as GAF scores. I've heard both ways about those....some say the VA uses them, some say the VA employees might use them as lottery numbers, basically they don't mean much. One score by itself might not show much until you show a pattern of consistent scores....but that's just my opinion on what I've noticed over the years...

#4 Phillies44

Phillies44

E-3 Seaman

• Seaman
  • PipPipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 11:52 AM

Who knows how they come up with anything except its pretty well known that VA does not want to grant PTSD claims. Did he connect your anxiety to Service?

Welcome to Hadit

Hello Pete, from what I have read he says nothing about connecting anxiety to the service. But most of my previous VA records state generalized anxiety disorder.And I agree 52 is a low score, but from what I have read on this site that does not matter. No I am not working and have not been working for a while because of these issues. He wrote below my GAF, that veteran has moderate and persistent symptoms of generalized anxiety disorder and is not working. Would this evaluation go towards another mental illness or is it good for nothing now that he says I do not have PTSD? Thanks for your reply.

#5 Phillies44

Phillies44

E-3 Seaman

• Seaman
  • PipPipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 12:04 PM

Do you have a copy of your SMRs? Do you know if there exists in there a dx of GAD? Or a dx of PTSD? If there is something written in your SMRs pointing in either direction already that could answer many questions.

As far as GAF scores. I've heard both ways about those....some say the VA uses them, some say the VA employees might use them as lottery numbers, basically they don't mean much. One score by itself might not show much until you show a pattern of consistent scores....but that's just my opinion on what I've noticed over the years...

Hi purple, I just got your reply and thanks. I do not have anything in my active duty SMR records about mental illness. And I have seen on this site that pretty much means denial. I do have some paperwork I sent to the VA about my reserves days, stating I was on medical hold and they were going to discharge me becasue of my psych meds. Also I wrote to Pete about my VA records DX me with generalized anxiety disorder for most of the past three years. Do these count as a nexus? I have also read about that on GAF scores. Thanks again for your feedback.

#6 john999

john999

HadIt.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22224 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 12:11 PM

You are going to probably need your own doctor opinion to DX PTSD. I think there is no doubt that these VA doctors are tying not to diagnose PTSD. Every PTSD diagnosis is a failure for American Arms. It means the military is discharging soldiers by the thousands with PTSD instead of treating them. I bet the VA is using some strict criteria to diangose PTSD and if you don't hit all the slots you don't get the diagnosis. There have been maybe 40,000 serious physical injuries in the war on terror. If they count all the PTSD injuries that number increases by 150,000. The present and future costs of these wars is astronomical.

#7 Phillies44

Phillies44

E-3 Seaman

• Seaman
  • PipPipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 03:58 AM

Welcome to Hadit

Thanks guys for your replies. The doctor did not even mention PTSD once during the exam. As soon as I walked in his office, because I never had one before, I asked what is this about? His reply was simply, "nerves." But anyway, I do have my VA records that mostly say GAD for three years now, and in 06' in the reserves it says anxiety. As I have been reading and what you guys told me the GAF score doesn't mean much. That score is pretty low on the scale I have read, but I have not been working for some time now, the symptoms just got too heavy. I honestly do not think I have PTSD, anxiety and depression yes. I did not put in a claim for PTSD, I had one in for depression and told the VARO my story and a couple weeks later they sent me a paper to sign and put it on my claim, I do not know what that is about? If you guys have any input on what you think let me know, please. So I guess the best thing to do is forget about the PTSD, I did see combat in 03', but I think I should get a IMO for anxiety? Let me know and thanks again guys for your replies.

#8 Phillies44

Phillies44

E-3 Seaman

• Seaman
  • PipPipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 05:50 AM

You are going to probably need your own doctor opinion to DX PTSD. I think there is no doubt that these VA doctors are tying not to diagnose PTSD. Every PTSD diagnosis is a failure for American Arms. It means the military is discharging soldiers by the thousands with PTSD instead of treating them. I bet the VA is using some strict criteria to diangose PTSD and if you don't hit all the slots you don't get the diagnosis. There have been maybe 40,000 serious physical injuries in the war on terror. If they count all the PTSD injuries that number increases by 150,000. The present and future costs of these wars is astronomical.

Thanks for the replies, I agree from reading the gaf scale 52 is pretty low. I am not working and have not been for awhile, the anxiety and depression just became too heavy, almost out of nowhere. With PTSD, I did not even file for that orginally, I filed for depression. But after I sent in my original claim and wrote a short story for the VARO, I got a letter from the VARO saying they were adding PTSD to my claim and then I had the exam a couple weeks later. I did see combat in 03' so maybe that is why? But when I walked into the psych exam doctors office, I said what is this about? It was my first exam for PTSD and he just said simply,"nerves." I do not know what that was all about? But with my GAD, my VA psych records have been saying GAD and depression for about three years now and for my SMR the only thing I have in there was a record of DX of GAD in 06' when they put me on profile and were trying to medically discharge me for the pysch meds. But I will try to get a IMO for my anxiety and forget about PTSD, since the exam doctor wrote I do not meet the criteria. Thanks again and if you have any more comments that would be great.

Advertise Here