Search

Advertise Here

Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  cragwex : (30 September 2014 - 06:35 AM) Decision & Claims File Dispatch And Pay
@  Tbird : (29 September 2014 - 05:45 PM) Dano Thanks For Your Contribution.
@  artlouis : (29 September 2014 - 04:07 PM) Nehmer Heart Transplant
@  vet201060 : (25 September 2014 - 11:28 PM) Reduced Va Disability Rating????
@  vet201060 : (25 September 2014 - 11:27 PM) Has Anyone Personally Been Reduced, Not Asking If You Know Some But If You Have Been Reduced
@  WVSERVER : (25 September 2014 - 12:16 PM) Test
@  lcurle : (22 September 2014 - 12:49 PM) Ebennies Is Down: Error Code [47]: The System Is Currently Unavailable. Please Try Again Later. If This Problem Continues, You May Contact The Dmdc Support Center (Dsc) At 800-477-8227 For Assistance.
@  Notorious Kelly : (21 September 2014 - 07:04 AM) Thanks, T, And Kudos To Kacy!
@  Tbird : (21 September 2014 - 12:48 AM) Forum Is Back Up And Running. We Lost Some Posts, But Were Able To Restore All The Posts To Sep 17. A Big Thank You To Member Kacy For Volunteering And Getting This Fixed.
@  raptorick : (20 September 2014 - 10:12 PM) Posts After The 17Th Are Missing
@  YellowGTO : (17 September 2014 - 01:37 PM) I Can See Reply's In My Email But When I Click The Link It Says "sorry, We Couldn't Find That!" Anyone Have Any Ideas?
@  cragwex : (15 September 2014 - 10:22 AM) Asking For T & P
@  NeverGiveUp : (14 September 2014 - 01:19 PM) Got Denial Letter From Va On Friday, Having Surgery For Hip This Friday Need Advice
@  Tbird : (13 September 2014 - 02:39 PM) Thank You Notorious
@  Notorious Kelly : (12 September 2014 - 02:52 PM) Happy To See The Donate Button For Hadit. No Pressure If You're Struggling But Give If You Can!
@  vet201060 : (11 September 2014 - 11:49 PM) Got The Dea Letter For Pain Killers Today. Interesting To See How This Actually Effects Us Getting Our Meds
@  bad@57 : (11 September 2014 - 07:07 PM) Hello Vets, Had A Very successful Bva Hearing August 20, 2014. Submitting Final Paperwork To Judge For Decision. Wish Me Luck As I Do All!
@  dereekbanks : (11 September 2014 - 12:49 PM) Still No Letter In The Mail, But I Think I Was Denied. Feeling Depressed!
@  dereekbanks : (11 September 2014 - 12:48 PM) Claim Closed On The 8Th, Its 3 Days Later And Ebenefits Still Shows My Same Old Rating.
@  Rotor Head : (11 September 2014 - 06:20 AM) Remember, The 'e' In Ebennies Stands For Entertainment. :blink:

Photo

Stroke

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
23 replies to this topic

#1 bguerrero

bguerrero

E-3 Seaman

• Seaman
  • PipPipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 06:54 AM

I'm retired from the USMC and also recieving 20% va hypertension/some skin problem. Will, two months ago I had a 2 TIA's which lead up to an acute stroke and since had 5 more TIA's. All in all I've been in and out of the hospital the past 8 weeks. Now thier saying I'm getting complex migraines so bad that my right side becomes weak like a stroke at it last up to 2 -3 hours at a time. Any idea's on the va ratings on this? And advice? I just started to get my medical records in order and will be visiting the San Diegq DAV office this week. I have recovered from the stroke but not 100%. I'm a Letter Carrier for USPS and so for un able to carry mail.

Advertise Here

#2 jbasser

jbasser

Moderator/HadIt.com Elder/SVR Radio Panelist

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6220 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 07:55 AM

Sorry to hear about your strokes.
Being Service conected for HTN is the important point here. The strokes were most likely secondary to that.
As far as rating strokes, they will rate the resuduals after the fact. now since you were hosrptalized for 8 weeks then you should ask for temp 100 percent for the time hospitalized.

I believe your claim will progress quickly. You neeed to go ahead and file it if not already done so.

Hang in there and take it easty and keep the BP under control.

J

#3 Berta

Berta

HadIt.com Elder/SVR Radio Panelist

• SVR
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28717 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 08:10 AM

I think you should apply for SSA disability as well as TDIU.

As Jbasser said- it is highly likely that the SC HBP caused the TIAs and stroke.

Stroke residuals can be totally disabling.

If you cannot work due to this CVA then with medical statement that the SC HBP contributed to or caused the CVA, they should award you TDIU.

You can apply for TDIU on form 21-8940 regardless of what your SC rating is now.

After suffering TIAs and a major CVA my husband (who VA said would be in wheelchair for rest of his life- demanded physical therapy and began to walk fairly normally again-
also he was able to talk again after having paralyzed throat from the CVA.

However his other residuals were so profound that he got inital SSA award (which was changed to SSA for PTSD)
and also the VA rated his stroke residuals incorrectly at 90 % instead of 100.

Your migraines and any memory deficients, visual problems, and any affect to use of your hands and feet for normal propulsion in walking are some of the many residuals a stroke can cause.

It would be good idea to get the Schedule of Raings (here at hadit in separate topic) to assess what residuals they should consider.But it does sound like they should definitely award TDIU to you (the 100% comp rate)
and by all means apply for the temp comp as Jbasser said-

I think my husband's HBP was rated at 10% -long story but I proved that his HBP was undiagnosed and undermedicated and this was what caused his major CVA.

Has VA monitored your HBP medication and changed it at all since the 20% rating?

#4 Pete53

Pete53

Moderator/HadIt.com Elder

• 21841 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 10:22 AM

Welcome to Hadit

#5 bguerrero

bguerrero

E-3 Seaman

• Seaman
  • PipPipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 10:39 AM

Thanks for the reply. I've haven't been seen by the VA since my rating, just by the Naval Hospital through tricare prime. The Base is much closer for me, just 4 miles. I have some on and off numbness on my arm through out the day and slur here and there too. I'm on sick leave now, soon to run out. With these on going TIA's it's hard to go to work. The TIA's seem to occur around a week a part. They don't want you at work like that! They think the stroke has cause me to have the complex migraine which to me is worst cause, with that, there's no way I could do my job!

#6 bguerrero

bguerrero

E-3 Seaman

• Seaman
  • PipPipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 10:55 PM

Just had my C&P Exam last week for the stroke, they confirmed that the the stroke is secondary the the HPN! Just have to wait on the rating. I have some memory lost, slur speech,weakness on my right side, pain in my arm. He ask if I recovered at 100% after the stroke and I told him I only recovered 70% and my doctor said thats what Im left with! I still Have one issue left, with the complex migraine. Have to have that tied in with the Stroke. My Neurologist wrote a letter stating that it is secondary to the stroke.These migraine happens 6-9 times a month and leaves me paralized up to 3 hours at a time. I suppose I'll have another C&P exam for that. I have the DAV in San Diego helping me out with all the paper work! I just hope I get a good rating, Im at 20% now, I got a bad feeling I'll only get another 10%! Any idea's or guess?

#7 bguerrero

bguerrero

E-3 Seaman

• Seaman
  • PipPipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 11:06 PM

On the first claim I had the stroke with the migraine calender log, then the VA sent me another claim for the migraine secondary to the stroke. But they have all the medical records and Doctors statements. Hopefully the rating will include the migraine. I hope it all works out!

#8 Berta

Berta

• SVR
  • 28717 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 06:50 AM

The DAV should have given you this form to fill out and send to them-

VA will not consider TDIU until they rate you at 70%

but there is no reason not to apply for TDIU with any SC %.

The date of their receipt of the form will be the TDIU EED (100% rate) if they award,

On # 18 check Yes and apply for SSA disability benefits.

On # 25 Remarks-tell them you are attaching additional page and tell them any more info they need to consider for TDIU.

Give the DAV rep copy of the TDIU form that you are sending to the VARO.

If the DAV has any question on that- or insists you have to be 70%-
let me know-and they can contact me or vice versa-

The VA might low ball you and deny TDIU first time around- hard to know-
but by filing the form with them and responding to any denials with rebuttal-you are protecting the earliest effective date for TDIU by sending them this form.

TIAs can appear to have minimal damage- a full blown stroke can have numerous disabiling residuals.
My husband was 100% disabled by stroke.

The docs statement of 70 % recovery -with the migraines (most likely due to the HBP and CVA)
might make VA think 30% is enough-
"Hopefully the rating will include the migraine. I hope it all works out!"

I hope so too- did the DAV make sure the migraines were included in the claim.

"They think the stroke has cause me to have the complex migraine which to me is worst cause, with that, there's no way I could do my job!"

I hope a doctor has fully documented that point in your clinical records.

Tricare?
Thats right- I forgot- USMC retiree-

Any chance for CRDP here? If the rating goes higher?

Attached Files

#9 Ricky

Ricky

E-9 Master Chief Petty Officer

• Master Chief Petty Officer
  • 2116 posts

Posted 13 September 2009 - 12:34 AM

Make sure you get the proper rating for the stroke. You should get 100 percent for six months THEN they rate the residuals with a minimum rating of 10 percent. Just make sure when you file the claim you ask for the 100 percent for six months ---- if not they might just forget that portion of it. If you do not mind could I ask what type of stroke you had and what area of the brain did it affect?

#10 bguerrero

bguerrero

E-3 Seaman

• Seaman
  • PipPipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 13 September 2009 - 12:38 AM

Thanks for your input! I guess I'll just have to wait and see!

#11 bguerrero

bguerrero

E-3 Seaman

• Seaman
  • PipPipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 13 September 2009 - 09:33 PM

Make sure you get the proper rating for the stroke. You should get 100 percent for six months THEN they rate the residuals with a minimum rating of 10 percent. Just make sure when you file the claim you ask for the 100 percent for six months ---- if not they might just forget that portion of it. If you do not mind could I ask what type of stroke you had and what area of the brain did it affect?

I had an Ischemic Stroke, acute left lacunar infarct within the basal ganglia. And no, nothing was ask on the claim about 100 percent for six months! DAV handled the claim, so maybe. He didn't mention anything about that to me.

#12 Berta

Berta

• SVR
  • 28717 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 07:07 AM

Lacuna is cavity of loss of brain cells found upon MRI of brain and basal ganglia is the deep grey matter (nerve cell areas). these types of stroke are common to uncontrolled HBP- exactly what my husband had- after many TIAs.

I had to prove his many ER trips prior to major CVA were TIAs.He had been misdiagnosed by the ER and they remained untreated causing residual problems.

I also had to prove his HBP had been mis managed and undermedicated by the VA-causing the Transcient Ischemias (TIAs)

It was the ECHO of his heart they did as well as the Brain MRI that helped me to prove he had many TIAs and undertreated HBP that caused his major CVA.

I assume they gave you a full ECHO test of your heart.?

Strokes begin in many cases due to occlusion of arteries due to a clot that can form in the heart.

Also atherosclerosis (a narrowing of the arteries due to cholestrol,abnormal tryglycerides and /or hyperlipedia or resulting from diabetes )
which can be determined by the ECHO percentages -can lead to stroke.

It is odd you said you felt 70% recovered.
But you also said you cannot perform your job.

Best to let a real doctor determine how recovered you are-so VA cannot low ball your rating.

Make sure the VA knows of all residuals you have-the numbness, any vision problems, the migraines, etc etc.

#13 bguerrero

bguerrero

E-3 Seaman

• Seaman
  • PipPipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 02:11 PM

Lacuna is cavity of loss of brain cells found upon MRI of brain and basal ganglia is the deep grey matter (nerve cell areas). these types of stroke are common to uncontrolled HBP- exactly what my husband had- after many TIAs.

I had to prove his many ER trips prior to major CVA were TIAs.He had been misdiagnosed by the ER and they remained untreated causing residual problems.

I also had to prove his HBP had been mis managed and undermedicated by the VA-causing the Transcient Ischemias (TIAs)

It was the ECHO of his heart they did as well as the Brain MRI that helped me to prove he had many TIAs and undertreated HBP that caused his major CVA.

I assume they gave you a full ECHO test of your heart.?

Strokes begin in many cases due to occlusion of arteries due to a clot that can form in the heart.

Also atherosclerosis (a narrowing of the arteries due to cholestrol,abnormal tryglycerides and /or hyperlipedia or resulting from diabetes )
which can be determined by the ECHO percentages -can lead to stroke.

It is odd you said you felt 70% recovered.
But you also said you cannot perform your job.

Best to let a real doctor determine how recovered you are-so VA cannot low ball your rating.

Make sure the VA knows of all residuals you have-the numbness, any vision problems, the migraines, etc etc.

I had every test done Echo of the heart, MRI,Angiogram. I have no heart problems just atherosclerosis and high cholestrol. I having a hard time performing my job as Letter Carrier for the Post Office. The physical part of it seems to be wearing me out. Like today, had to go home sick due to a migraine. I only have a limited amount of sick leave left!

#14 bguerrero

bguerrero

E-3 Seaman

• Seaman
  • PipPipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 08:14 AM

I just drop off medical records to the VA for the Migraine secondary to the Stroke. During my C&P exam last week for the stroke, he question me about the migraines. Hopefully there won't be another exam. In my records the Neurologist states the migraine's developed from the stroke. My big concern now is my job, with the residuals from the stroke and the migraine flair ups, my employer is not to please. I'm working but on limited duty for now, can't carry my entire route. I don't have a walking route! With this VA math, I'll be lucky to get a 50% rating!

#15 Berta

Berta

• SVR
  • 28717 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 09:36 AM

"I had every test done Echo of the heart, MRI,Angiogram. I have no heart problems just atherosclerosis and high cholestrol."

That is good-an ECHO reveals extent of any serious damage of atherosclerosis in the part where they measure the arteries as to blood flow.

Atherosclerosis in service connected diabetes however is strongly associated with DMII and should be claimed as secondary to DMII.

It is part of a medical trilogy-high cholestrol, high tryglycerides and DMII
impact on heart can combine and cause atherosclerosis.

Part of the hyperlipid hypothesis.
HBP also can cause atherosclerosis.

#16 bguerrero

bguerrero

E-3 Seaman

• Seaman
  • PipPipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 08:16 PM

Got the brown envelope today, not so good news. Got 100% for 6 months for Left cerebral infarction. 0% for Atherosclerosis. They deferred the decicision on the migraine due to that they need more evidence. I'm still being treated by my Neurologist, I'm going to a sleep lab next week! Just another claim to add on to later. My question is, do I get real money for 6 months or is it like the way they pay me the 20% from my retirement check?

#17 sharon

sharon

HadIt.com Elder/Moderator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1126 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 08:35 PM

It will be real money. There is no offset at 100%.

#18 timetowinarace

timetowinarace

E-8 Senior Chief Petty Officer

• Senior Chief Petty Officer
  • 743 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 10:57 PM

I don't really know much about stroke ratings. I feel for you about the migraines though. Mine are terrible. I think you'll fall in the 50% for the migraines.

I'm just thinking out loud here(well okay, with my fingers) but if you feel your still having memory problems you may be able to get that rated also. Berta can chime in if she wants. DC930something is dementia due to stroke I believe. Dementia is memory problems ect. Just a thought.

#19 Ricky

Ricky

E-9 Master Chief Petty Officer

• 2116 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 11:15 PM

Got the brown envelope today, not so good news. Got 100% for 6 months for Left cerebral infarction. 0% for Atherosclerosis. They deferred the decicision on the migraine due to that they need more evidence. I'm still being treated by my Neurologist, I'm going to a sleep lab next week! Just another claim to add on to later. My question is, do I get real money for 6 months or is it like the way they pay me the 20% from my retirement check?

Bq you will get your full retirement plus 100 percent from the VA. If you are claiming the headaches secondary to the stroke they will not rate them until the six months has passed.

#20 bguerrero

bguerrero

E-3 Seaman

• Seaman
  • PipPipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 02:49 AM

Thanks for all the input. I'll have to get down to the DAV Office and go over this with them. Hopefully this money will kick in soon.

#21 Berta

Berta

• SVR
  • 28717 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 06:43 AM

If you fall into the CRSC or CRDP criteria-you will get the full comp.

After the 6 months they have to continue to rate the residuals of the stroke.

Have you applied for SSA yet?

My husband had 1151 stroke which they failed to rate properly -SSA said it was 100% disabling-P & T (CUE pending on that)

his stroke -in April- became directly SCed to his DMII from AO-(still fighting for that rating)

They are still failing to rate this properly and also his residuals-as well as consider him for SMC.

I wish I could help more but even 15 years after his death-= I still have no proper adjudication of the CVA issue.

He never got the 100% for 6 months either.And I have no idea how they handle residuals.

He had 6 ischemic brain infarctions- all misdiagnosed by VA and all ultimately found as caused by DMII.

Some BVA decisions on strokes might help you -and yes-claim all potential secondary residuals conditions.

#22 bguerrero

bguerrero

E-3 Seaman

• Seaman
  • PipPipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 04:52 PM

Checked my bank account this morning and the VA deposit over $12,000.00 into it. I guess 4 months of payments!

#23 halos2

halos2

E-8 Senior Chief Petty Officer

• Senior Chief Petty Officer
  • 1488 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 12:15 AM

Wow, about 4 mths, that was pretty fast for you to get some retro...BTW How are you doing? Any more probs with elevated B/P? What about migrains? Slurred speech? Memory probs? Numbness? Any other complications/ signs & symptoms from the hypertension? What has happen with your job? Hope you are not experiencing any more residuals from initial stroke or probs with TIA's too.

#24 bguerrero

bguerrero

E-3 Seaman

• Seaman
  • PipPipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 08:52 AM

Wow, about 4 mths, that was pretty fast for you to get some retro...BTW How are you doing? Any more probs with elevated B/P? What about migrains? Slurred speech? Memory probs? Numbness? Any other complications/ signs & symptoms from the hypertension? What has happen with your job? Hope you are not experiencing any more residuals from initial stroke or probs with TIA's too.

Same residuals no more TIA's, the Migraines are are now starting to get treated and down to 6 a month. The migraine are not as bad as before, due to the meds I'm taking. I'm still on limited duty at work, I give 1 1/2 hour of my route away to make 8 hours just to make 8 hours. The B/P is under control. Thanks for asking!

Advertise Here