Search

Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  chuck57thSig : (30 October 2014 - 05:51 PM) Sarti07, It's Under (Va Claims And Research) Http://www.hadit.com/forums/topic/59064-Prep-For-Decision-Phaseprovisional-Rating/
@  sarti07 : (30 October 2014 - 02:43 PM) Hello, I Just Posted A Topic About Prep For Decision.. I Have No Idea Where To Find It! Lol
@  carlie : (28 October 2014 - 03:42 PM) Reelnrod - Just Pick A Topic That Corresponds To Your Stuff And Post It
@  reelnrod : (28 October 2014 - 10:11 AM) So, How Do I Post A Topic?
@  Thadine : (28 October 2014 - 08:21 AM) Irrrl
@  Thadine : (28 October 2014 - 08:18 AM) Fishing License
@  Thadine : (28 October 2014 - 08:14 AM) Thadine Quick
@  red : (27 October 2014 - 12:14 PM) Anyone Heard Any Updates On Flying Space A For 100% Disabled Vets?
@  maxwell18 : (27 October 2014 - 10:49 AM) I Did Contact My Congressman Jeff Miller, Let's See What Will Happen
@  maxwell18 : (27 October 2014 - 10:48 AM) @britton
@  Tbird : (27 October 2014 - 04:26 AM) Thank You Larry S For Your Contribution To Our Funding Campaign
@  britton : (26 October 2014 - 07:33 PM) Everyone (Veteran's) Should Recive A Memo From The Dept Of Veterans Affairs ****notification Of Medication Scheduling Change****
@  britton : (26 October 2014 - 07:24 PM) Meds That Are Consider To Be Schedule Ii Narcotic...pain Meds Like Hydrocodone Ectt Ect,,
@  britton : (26 October 2014 - 07:22 PM) As I Understand We Only Can See The Va Dr's Every 28 Days To Renew Our Prescription Meds A New Law Went Into Effect Oct 6Th 2014....i Only See Problems Problems Problems With This...grrrrr
@  maxwell18 : (26 October 2014 - 03:52 PM) This Is Maxwell18 Would The Person Who Contacted Me (Vern2) Please Contact Me Again, I Attemped To E Mail You It Returned No Reply. Thanks
@  Tbird : (26 October 2014 - 05:12 AM) Thank You Maxwell18 For Your Contribution To Our Funding Campaign.
@  Notorious Kelly : (25 October 2014 - 07:53 PM) Max- Contact Your Congressman- Dea Has Got Docs So Cowed They're Afraid To Dispense Tylenol
@  maxwell18 : (25 October 2014 - 07:10 PM) Anybody Having Problems Getting Pain Pills (Norco) Filled Us Navy Base (Nas Whiting Fld Milton Fl). Had A Prescription For 90 Norco Pills For 30 Days, 3 A Day For Pain, Got 30 For 30 Days. That Will Last Me 10 Days. Another Thing That Our Government Is Screwing With Us. I Don't Know What To Do, Don't Want To To The Va, Don't Know What They Will Either. Anybody Goy Any Ideas. 
@  Burt : (25 October 2014 - 10:28 AM) Does Anyone Else Here Wear A Don Joy Armor Knee Brace From The Va?
@  red : (24 October 2014 - 10:10 AM) Any News On Space A Flying?

Photo
- - - - -

Psychiatric Service Animals

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 maryriver

maryriver

E-3 Seaman

• Seaman
  • PipPipPip
  • 9 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 03:31 PM

I was told that my psychiatric service dog is not the same as a service dog and not allowed in the VA medical center at Seattle. The police said Shinsecki had ordered this. Does anyone know about this? The police also said the Americans with Disability Act does not apply to the VA.

I have tried for hours now to find a way to call Shinsecki's office to inquire but can't find any number other than 827-1000 and when I finally called that the woman told me to google it!! What's up with that??? :P

#2 john999

john999

HadIt.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22270 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 03:37 PM

I think that the newspapers would like to hear about that little bit of discrimination. This is why they put a retired general in charge of the VA because he is used to giving and following dumb orders. It is good to have a Yes Man in charge of the VA.

#3 purple

purple

E-8 Senior Chief Petty Officer

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1416 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 04:26 PM

Sounds like another case of VA (wanna be) Police over-stepping their bounds. Try calling the ADA Office and letting them know what you were told, have them put a call in to the Chief of the Seattle VAMC and I'd bet that all will be well.

I also agree that the media needs to hear about this!!

#4 carlie

carlie

Moderator/Admin/HadIt.com Elder/SVR Radio Panelist

• Admin
  • 22213 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 05:31 PM

maryriver,
There is a big difference in Guide Dogs (Service Dogs) and Therapy Dogs.
I've done a shout out to someone I know that is very well versed on this issue
and I will get back to you on this.
For now here is a link regarding ADA.

http://www.vetdogs.org/

carlie

Edited by carlie, 04 August 2009 - 05:41 PM.
sp

#5 BoonDoc

BoonDoc

E-5 Petty Officer 2nd Class

• Chief Petty Officers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 05:45 PM

Is your service animal certified and with the service animal "uniform" that is to be worn while on duty?
I had a therapy dog, wasn't cert. but you couldn't tell Me, or Her that She wasn't my therapy dog! Most stores, and my CBOC saw it differently, had to have the certification as a working service animal.

BoonDoc

maryriver,
There is a big difference in Guide Dogs (Service Dogs) and Therapy Dogs.
I've done a shout out to someone I know that is very well versed on this issue
and I will get back to you on this.
For now her is a link regarding ADA.

http://www.vetdogs.org/

carlie

#6 LarryJ

LarryJ

Hadit.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3214 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 06:37 PM

"ALRIGHT, MUTT, GET YOUR PAWS IN THE AIR AND BACK UP SLOWLY TOWARDS ME! YEAH, THAT'S RIGHT, ALL FOUR OF 'EM, IN THE AIR!"

Edited by LarryJ, 04 August 2009 - 06:38 PM.

#7 maryriver

maryriver

E-3 Seaman

• Seaman
  • PipPipPip
  • 9 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 12:15 PM

I was told that my psychiatric service dog is not the same as a service dog and not allowed in the VA medical center at Seattle. The police said Shinsecki had ordered this. Does anyone know about this? The police also said the Americans with Disability Act does not apply to the VA.

I have tried for hours now to find a way to call Shinsecki's office to inquire but can't find any number other than 827-1000 and when I finally called that the woman told me to google it!! What's up with that??? :P

#8 maryriver

maryriver

E-3 Seaman

• Seaman
  • PipPipPip
  • 9 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 12:35 PM

I am begining to understand that some of the problem is the way we talk about this subject.

First off, I have discovered that the ADA does NOT apply to federal agencys - but the U.S. Rehabilitation Act of 1973 "prohibits discrimination on the basis of disability in programs conducted by Federal agencies, in programs receiving Federal financial assistance, in Federal employment, and in the employment practices of Federal contractors". And in Jan of 09 congress added language that makes all of the ADA and the Rehabilitation Act virtually the same PLUS they added language that clearly makes mental health disabilities equal with physical ones as far as these two laws go.

Second, the way we name the professional dogs confuses people. Service or therapy or companion psychaitric ..... there are only two catagories either the dog is a pet or it is a service dog. Some pets are trained to visit nicely with folks who are living in nursing homes and the like. These dogs are pets.

Service animals are trained to provide a service ....and here is a web site that helps us see the types of service acknowledged by the laws: http://www.psychdog.org/tasks.html

So now that I have answered my own question :P I have set up a meeting with folks from Senator Murrays office and we will see if thay can get through the police mentality B)

TKS and I hope this helps others too

Semper Fi

#9 Pete53

Pete53

Moderator/HadIt.com Elder

• 21877 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 01:00 PM

Good!!!

I am thinking of training my young golden to go with me to visit places I have a strong aversion too.

I researched it also and I think that our VA has posted in a couple of spots that service dogs are authorized

#10 Bigdan

Bigdan

E-3 Seaman

• Seaman
  • PipPipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 08:53 AM

If you want Secretary Eric Shinseki's number it is (202) 461-4800. Maybe he can get you the answer you are looking for? :rolleyes: