Search

Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup
@  carlie : (30 August 2014 - 06:27 PM) Vet211060 - I Guess They're Not That Shameful After All : - ) Congrats On Some Positive Adjudication
@  vet201060 : (30 August 2014 - 04:24 PM) Dav Sent Letter Saying I Am 100% Effective Oct 2013
@  MarkInTexas : (30 August 2014 - 12:35 PM) Wish There Was A "like" Button For Some Of These Comments.......
@  MarkInTexas : (30 August 2014 - 12:26 PM) Amen To That!
@  vet201060 : (28 August 2014 - 09:55 PM) Va Is So Shameful!!
@  artlouis : (27 August 2014 - 11:36 AM) Code 7019
@  vet201060 : (26 August 2014 - 11:41 PM) Damn Post It Notes
@  vet201060 : (26 August 2014 - 11:41 PM) True That
@  Asiadaug : (26 August 2014 - 07:46 PM) I Have Yet To Deal With Any Piece Of Va That Isn't A Dysfunctional Mess...ebenefits, Claim Filing, Billing...and To Think Our Tax Dollars Are Used To Perpetuate That Calamity!
@  carlie : (26 August 2014 - 05:39 PM) notorious kelly - loved your shout ! ! !
@  GlassRose1500 : (26 August 2014 - 03:40 PM) Would Someone Add Smc Housbound Plus Smc A&a Regular And One Smc K For Me? I Can't Seem To Do That Math!
@  Notorious Kelly : (26 August 2014 - 03:12 PM) Ebenefits Is Not A Thermometer In The Rectum Of Your Claim; It Is A Post-It Note That May Or Not Be Updated Or Accurate. Try Not To Obsess ;)
@  mcassidy : (26 August 2014 - 01:25 PM) Osa
@  Jaluluah11B : (26 August 2014 - 10:05 AM) My Reconsideration Finally Showed Up On Ebenefits As A New Claim.  gathering Evidence.  [font=Arial][size=3]Automated 5103 Notice Response Needed. [/size][/font]
@  vet201060 : (26 August 2014 - 10:00 AM) Went From Pending Decision Approval To Review Of Evidence Today, I Need To Stop Looking At It. Drives You Crazy Waiting
@  GlassRose1500 : (25 August 2014 - 09:30 PM) @coriemboh I Get My Best Claim Advice Here, But My Dav Guy Gets The Best Intel Once The Claim Is Filed
@  coriemboh : (25 August 2014 - 08:57 PM) The Average Processing Time Is 9 Months More Or Less. Every Time I Call The 800#, I Get A Different Answer. Goe, Roe....make Up Your Mind!
@  coriemboh : (25 August 2014 - 08:56 PM) I Just Want To Know Ballpark Figure Of How Much Longer My Claim Will Take. The Bills Are Piling Up. Adds To My Anxiety And Depression. Sure Wish I Could Tell Bill Collectors The Same Things Va Tells Me!
@  coriemboh : (25 August 2014 - 08:54 PM) @glassrose1500-No, I Don't. I Put In For Representation A Few Days Ago, But I'm Sure That End Won't Pan Out Until The Claim Is Closed.
@  GlassRose1500 : (25 August 2014 - 12:11 PM) Would Appreciate Feedback On My Smc Draft - Posted In The Smc Section! Tkx!

Photo

Gaf Score 55

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

#1 Papa

Papa

E-8 Senior Chief Petty Officer

• Senior Chief Petty Officer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 903 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 04:41 PM

Maybe someone can clear domething up for me that even an old country boy can understand. I received a GAF score of 55 and was given 30%. I keep reading on Hadit that if you are working you will get less!! Whats the difference? If you got a GAF score of 55, should you not get the same rating whether one is working or not? It is still 55. I was wondering if the VA gives different ratings for Veterans who have lost a leg that works vs a Veteran who does not work. I understand that there are a lot of variables, but it does not seem fair.

Papa

Advertise Here

#2 purple

purple

E-8 Senior Chief Petty Officer

• Banned
  • 1416 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 04:47 PM

GAF scores don't mean squat (imho). Especially just one GAF score. It's a mere snapshot of how you are doing at one specific point in time. The VA (or any doc) should assign a GAF score at each visit and then average them out over a period of time for a real picture.

Too much emphasis is being placed on these scores. The real emphasis needs to be placed on the hard evidence in your medical records.

Sorry....but I feel like a broken record on the issue of GAF scores.

#3 mrkman12

mrkman12

E-3 Seaman

• Third Class Petty Officers
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 05:46 PM

Have been seeing VA haha for 2 years now,
1st gaf=39 lasted 4 months.
2nd gaf=40 lasted 1 year.
3rd gaf=35 going 2 months.

I have to agree with purple, now that I am beginning to understand this process.
microism, is the new word in question? Microism allow hahas' a semi-accurate picture of your overall cognitive functioning level... Wish I knew how it worked, guess that is why they are the experts in the world of hahaha....mark B)

#4 sharon

sharon

HadIt.com Elder/Moderator

• Master Chief Petty Officer
  • 1126 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 09:52 PM

GAF scores don't mean squat (imho). Especially just one GAF score. It's a mere snapshot of how you are doing at one specific point in time. The VA (or any doc) should assign a GAF score at each visit and then average them out over a period of time for a real picture.

Too much emphasis is being placed on these scores. The real emphasis needs to be placed on the hard evidence in your medical records.

Sorry....but I feel like a broken record on the issue of GAF scores.

4.126 Evaluation of disability from mental disorders.
(a) When evaluating a mental disorder, the rating agency shall consider the frequency, severity, and duration of psychiatric symptoms, the length of remissions, and the veteran's capacity for adjustment during periods of remission. The rating agency shall assign an evaluation based on all the evidence of record that bears on occupational and social impairment rather than solely on the examiner's assessment of the level of disability at the moment of the examination.

(B) When evaluating the level of disability from a mental disorder, the rating agency will consider the extent of social impairment, but shall not assign an evaluation solely on the basis of social impairment.

© Delirium, dementia, and amnestic and other cognitive disorders shall be evaluated under the general rating formula for mental disorders; neurologic deficits or other impairments stemming from the same etiology (e.g., a head injury) shall be evaluated separately and combined with the evaluation for delirium, dementia, or amnestic or other cognitive disorder (see 4.25).

(d) When a single disability has been diagnosed both as a physical condition and as a mental disorder, the rating agency shall evaluate it using a diagnostic code which represents the dominant (more disabling) aspect of the condition (see 4.14).

#5 Pete53

Pete53

Moderator/HadIt.com Elder

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21808 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 11:13 PM

I know a Veteran who ordered an expensive IMO cause he got a 49 GAF cause his lame ass VSO said a 49 was not good enough. It not only cost the Vet money it cost him time cause he got 100% even with the 49 GAF cause the Doc would not change it.

The GAF is only a part of the evaluation and I am afraid that to many here are putting entirely to much into what their GAF is instead of proving up their case

Most Docs will not deliberately take on another Doc something that is often forgotten

#6 Philip Rogers

Philip Rogers

HadIt.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3879 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 05:05 AM

The late Alex Humphrey, Esq, used to post here that he could get any vet w/a gaf of 50 or below, TDIU or 100%.

pr

#7 Pete53

Pete53

Moderator/HadIt.com Elder

• 21808 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 05:55 PM

Alex Humpfrey was a wizzard and I bet he culled more cases than many think. He was hardcore and I still miss him. I am not up to taking his email out of my contact list I just can't do it.

#8 Patrick428

Patrick428

E-5 Petty Officer 2nd Class

• First Class Petty Officer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 11:09 PM

I am a former C and P examiner and a Clinical Psychologist with two tours in Vietnam with Marine Force Recon. I am 100% P and T and SSDI. I will clarify what a GAF score means in an evaluation. A GAF scores is much like your blood pressure it never stays the same through the day. You may have a GAF of 35 in the morning then have one of 55 in the afternoon. I will debate the importance of a GAF score as it is a predictor of behavior over a period of time. Going into a C and P with just one evaluation will not generate the rating you will get. But a veteran who has been in treatment for a long period of time has a longitudinal record of GAF scores. There are 10 parts to a C and P examination and GAF is one of them. The one that counts the most is if the examiner also diagnoses one with PTSD or what other mental health disorder one has.

Your history especially military history and combat awards go a long way as does the GAF score. Then it is the severity specifier on Axis I and the severity rating on Axis IV that will allow the raters to make an appropriate rating.

Patrick

#9 jbasser

jbasser

Moderator/HadIt.com Elder/SVR Radio Panelist

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6184 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 06:03 AM

Maybe someone can clear domething up for me that even an old country boy can understand. I received a GAF score of 55 and was given 30%. I keep reading on Hadit that if you are working you will get less!! Whats the difference? If you got a GAF score of 55, should you not get the same rating whether one is working or not? It is still 55. I was wondering if the VA gives different ratings for Veterans who have lost a leg that works vs a Veteran who does not work. I understand that there are a lot of variables, but it does not seem fair.

Papa

VA comp is based on a premise that it actually compensates you for the amount of money your disability would cause you to lose in the Manufacturing environment,
That is why the percentages are used.

J

#10 carlie

carlie

Moderator/Admin/HadIt.com Elder/SVR Radio Panelist

• Admin
  • 22054 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 06:58 AM

I am a former C and P examiner and a Clinical Psychologist with two tours in Vietnam with Marine Force Recon. I am 100% P and T and SSDI. I will clarify what a GAF score means in an evaluation. A GAF scores is much like your blood pressure it never stays the same through the day. You may have a GAF of 35 in the morning then have one of 55 in the afternoon. I will debate the importance of a GAF score as it is a predictor of behavior over a period of time. Going into a C and P with just one evaluation will not generate the rating you will get. But a veteran who has been in treatment for a long period of time has a longitudinal record of GAF scores. There are 10 parts to a C and P examination and GAF is one of them. The one that counts the most is if the examiner also diagnoses one with PTSD or what other mental health disorder one has.

Your history especially military history and combat awards go a long way as does the GAF score. Then it is the severity specifier on Axis I and the severity rating on Axis IV that will allow the raters to make an appropriate rating.

Patrick

Patrick,
It's great to see you posting and helping claimants.
Truly appreciate your input.
carlie

#11 darkhorse

darkhorse

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 09:19 PM

Along with GAF do cognitive problems play a part in the rating decision for mental disorders? I scored below 1st percentile for all the short and long term memory tests in psych exam and examiner said my memory problems are part of my total disability picture. He didn't say whether my memory problems are related to my mental disorder so now i'm worried.

dh

Edited by darkhorse, 21 September 2009 - 09:20 PM.

#12 out_here04

out_here04

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 03:38 AM

The GAF is only a part of the evaluation and I am afraid that to many here are putting entirely to much into what their GAF is instead of proving up their case

i agree with pete. i got my 100 percent total for anxiety/depression (although not permanent) and don't have a clue what my gaf scores have been, ever.

#13 out_here04

out_here04

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 03:55 AM

I keep reading on Hadit that if you are working you will get less!! Whats the difference? If you got a GAF score of 55, should you not get the same rating whether one is working or not? It is still 55. I was wondering if the VA gives different ratings for Veterans who have lost a leg that works vs a Veteran who does not work. I understand that there are a lot of variables, but it does not seem fair.

Papa

i also agree with papa's general line of thought about it not seeming fair about working and/or going to school with mental vs physical disabilities with va. i guess it's in the wording:

va: you are granted 100 percent for (insert mental disability) because you (have these symptoms that PREVENT you from working --see, we don't give bennies if you can soldier on, soldier, because you are mental, get it? men--tul) so don't let us catch you, no way, no how.

vs

va: you are granted 100 percent for (insert physical disability) because you (have these symptoms that you could possibly, who knows, overcome and work) so knock yourself out, vetrun.

also:

jbasser (nice boat, btw) said:

"VA comp is based on a premise that it actually compensates you for the amount of money your disability would cause you to lose in the Manufacturing environment,
That is why the percentages are used."

so, i guess a men-tul-ly disabled vetrun can only be expected to earn up to what va hands out as compunsashun, and be damned glad you get at least that because they sure are doing their damnedest to shut out as many as possible. a physically disabled vetrun, like oh say max clelland (and i'm no expert on him) can claim 100 percent and take on all kinds of speaking/congressional roles and make as much as he can and va can't touch him? damifino

Advertise Here