Advertise Here

Photo

Ptsd Score?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
21 replies to this topic

#1 Angelo Hurtado

Angelo Hurtado

E-4 Petty Officer 3rd Class

• Second Class Petty Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 12:57 AM

i got my medical records in and it says that above 50 is positive for a military member to have ptsd...i scored a 73, is this real bad?

Advertise Here

#2 Pete53

Pete53

Moderator/HadIt.com Elder

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21759 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 01:09 AM

Its good for a claim but that is a screen for it and it's not likely they will use it.

#3 Angelo Hurtado

Angelo Hurtado

• PipPipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 02:31 AM

So go ahead with submiting the claim pete?

#4 Pete53

Pete53

• 21759 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 08:00 AM

Have you finished your other claims and do you intend to ask for TDIU 100%. If it were me and I could prove the stressor I would file the PTSD. If not ask for depression or another comorbid condition.

Before doing anything you should lay out your ratings, when you got them and how long since granted.

#5 Angelo Hurtado

Angelo Hurtado

• PipPipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 09:58 AM

I do intend to go for tdiu, intially i was rated 50% for

right shoulder strain with tendinosis of the supraspinatus and biceps tendons and superior labral tear 20%

cervical spine strain 20%

lumbosacral spine strain with anterior wedging of t11 and t12 vertebral bodies 10%

left ankle sprain and tendinitis with status post surgical reconstruction and avulsion of the left great toe extensor hallucis longus ( this is what got me discharged since i now walk with a cane) 10%

tinnitus 10%

scar 10%

scar 10%

these were all rated as i got out and i recieved my letter in january (i was discharged in nov) at that time i had submitted my sleep apnea which got approved a month or 2 later for 50%

i was diagnosed with ptsd in june, everything is easily connected since the stressor is what caused EVERYTHING else also and my middle east tours are documented.. I need to get everything submitted before nov (my 1 year mark out) to have it all retroed back to the day i got out but without being able to drive long distances i have to rely on my wife and her days off are usually when my vso isnt in so it kinda sucks.. Thanks again pete uve been such a huge help since the day i joined this forum

#6 john999

john999

HadIt.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • 22163 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 10:08 AM

You have combat awards for middle east tours?

#7 Angelo Hurtado

Angelo Hurtado

• PipPipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 11:43 AM

Yes i do

#8 carlie

carlie

Moderator/Admin/HadIt.com Elder/SVR Radio Panelist

• Admin
  • 21929 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 12:04 PM

Yes i do

Angelo,
What are the combat awards you have for middle east tours ?
Thanks,
carlie

#9 john999

john999

HadIt.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • 22163 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 02:51 PM

If you have combat awards the VA will concede your stressors. You don't have to prove that such and such event happened on a certain date. Usually, if you don't have combat awards then you have a greater burden to verify stressors.

#10 Angelo Hurtado

Angelo Hurtado

• PipPipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 03:16 PM

I have the iraq campaign medal and a unit accomedation where the write up is for missions complete in iraq...but my stressor has nothing to do with my tours, i never had an issue with ptsd when i was with the teams, the dr found that i never had a problem with it until i was in my accident which almost took my life..which is heavily documented because it was the reason i got discharged

#11 carlie

carlie

• Admin
  • 21929 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 03:25 PM

I have the iraq campaign medal and a unit accomedation where the write up is for missions complete in iraq...but my stressor has nothing to do with my tours, i never had an issue with ptsd when i was with the teams, the dr found that i never had a problem with it until i was in my accident which almost took my life..which is heavily documented because it was the reason i got discharged

I do not think the Iraq Campaign Medal shows proof of being a combat vet.
Maybe someone else will chime in on the Unit Accomendation.
jmho,
carlie

#12 Angelo Hurtado

Angelo Hurtado

• PipPipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 03:37 PM

I do not think the Iraq Campaign Medal shows proof of being a combat vet.
Maybe someone else will chime in on the Unit Accomendation.
jmho,
carlie

its not the one everyone gets, its the one for spending time in country...im not worried about proving my being a combat vet because my case was handled faster than normal since i was one..i just hope not being diagnosed until after i got out doesnt hurt me

#13 sharon

sharon

HadIt.com Elder/Moderator

• Master Chief Petty Officer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1126 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 04:16 PM

The combat medals are approved by congress not the VA. In time they will add more medals. Contact your congressman and make a request.

#14 john999

john999

HadIt.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • 22163 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 05:20 PM

If your PTSD comes from a vehicle wreck then your combat status does not count unless it had something to do with your tour in Iraq such as wrecking you vehicle under fire. What Carlie is saying is that you probably need to see if you have CIB or CAB which is proof of combat with the enemy if you ever wanted to go that route.

#15 carlie

carlie

• Admin
  • 21929 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 05:35 PM

If your PTSD comes from a vehicle wreck then your combat status does not count unless it had something to do with your tour in Iraq such as wrecking you vehicle under fire. What Carlie is saying is that you probably need to see if you have CIB or CAB which is proof of combat with the enemy if you ever wanted to go that route.

John,
I was getting more information on the question you had asked him,
"You have combat awards for middle east tours?"

At this time I don't think from what's been posted that a stressor would be conceded by the awards he has, but that is moot as he states the PTSD is related to vehicle accident.

Angelo,
I would file your claim for the PTSD.
What was the circumstance of your vehicular accident?

carlie

#16 Pete53

Pete53

• 21759 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 07:59 PM

Angelo Hurtado

File the claim a car wreck that almost took your life is for many a stressor that is acceptable to establish the dx with the symptoms of course,

Can you list some of the symptoms you have now from PTSD?

In 1961 I was in a head on wreck that almost killed me so I can certainly understand what it is like. I looked really bad and they told my Mom that I had passed When I woke up I had temporary amnesia and could not remember how or when or anything else prior to the accident. I did not even know who my family was.

#17 Angelo Hurtado

Angelo Hurtado

• PipPipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 09:27 PM

Thats the situation, i never had a problem with what was done while in combat until i almost had my life taken...my accident was almost 2 years after a did my last tour in the middle east...the dr states that my ptsd is caused by something traumatic that almost took my life causing my problems with taken others... I have flash back dreams, shakes, insomnia, homicidial thoughts. Being in big crowds stresses me beyond my limits not to mention being paranoid all the time.

Im new to all this so reading up on it has beem my friend lol, the way the dr explained it to me that as a person u can only handle so much until uve reached ur breaking point...some have higher thresholds then others and just because my tours didnt bother me THEN didnt mean i was always safe from ptsd.

I was busting my ass to get a job but due to my injuries and the ptsd and sleep apnea it has been damn near impossible, ive filed with ssdi and have a good feeling about it but for iu im worried...my vso feels maybe it may not be "enough" to get it.

#18 Pete53

Pete53

• 21759 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 11:18 PM

Most VSO's and even to some extent here try to downplay a win cause its a struggle but in you case with the evidence and hopefully your Doc will help I think that you should get TDIU and even if you don't get PTSD right away you still could get it for your other ratings if you can demonstrate that you can't work. Social Security could really help you.

Good Luck and don't give up.

#19 Angelo Hurtado

Angelo Hurtado

• PipPipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 11:06 PM

Thanks for the motivation pete like i said before it helps alot

#20 carlie

carlie

• Admin
  • 21929 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 11:57 AM

Thats the situation, i never had a problem with what was done while in combat until i almost had my life taken...my accident was almost 2 years after a did my last tour in the middle east...the dr states that my ptsd is caused by something traumatic that almost took my life causing my problems with taken others... I have flash back dreams, shakes, insomnia, homicidial thoughts. Being in big crowds stresses me beyond my limits not to mention being paranoid all the time.

Angelo,
Were you still on active duty when this accident occured ?
carlie

#21 Angelo Hurtado

Angelo Hurtado

• PipPipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 12:22 PM

I was, its what got me discharged..i was on shore duty :)

#22 bufloguy

bufloguy

E-5 Petty Officer 2nd Class

• First Class Petty Officer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 12:37 PM

The accident even though it happened while you were on shore leave is a stressor for PTSD, and it sounds like it's been documented, so you should have the basis for a good PTSD claim.

Advertise Here