Search

Help fund HadIt.com. Please note HadIt.com is NOT a non-profit, there is no tax deduction for helping to fund HadIt.com Veteran To Veteran LLC

We have been very lucky since 1997 in being able to fund the site from advertising and my own pocket. Unfortunately my pockets are empty and revenue for the site is down. So if you want to help keep the site funded please use the button below and help fund the site.

Advertise Here

Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  cragwex : (15 September 2014 - 10:22 AM) Asking For T & P
@  NeverGiveUp : (14 September 2014 - 01:19 PM) Got Denial Letter From Va On Friday, Having Surgery For Hip This Friday Need Advice
@  Tbird : (13 September 2014 - 02:39 PM) Thank You Notorious
@  Notorious Kelly : (12 September 2014 - 02:52 PM) Happy To See The Donate Button For Hadit. No Pressure If You're Struggling But Give If You Can!
@  vet201060 : (11 September 2014 - 11:49 PM) Got The Dea Letter For Pain Killers Today. Interesting To See How This Actually Effects Us Getting Our Meds
@  bad@57 : (11 September 2014 - 07:07 PM) Hello Vets, Had A Very successful Bva Hearing August 20, 2014. Submitting Final Paperwork To Judge For Decision. Wish Me Luck As I Do All!
@  dereekbanks : (11 September 2014 - 12:49 PM) Still No Letter In The Mail, But I Think I Was Denied. Feeling Depressed!
@  dereekbanks : (11 September 2014 - 12:48 PM) Claim Closed On The 8Th, Its 3 Days Later And Ebenefits Still Shows My Same Old Rating.
@  Rotor Head : (11 September 2014 - 06:20 AM) Remember, The 'e' In Ebennies Stands For Entertainment. :blink:
@  ssgtob1 : (11 September 2014 - 05:14 AM) Got Back In, No Change The Last 10 Times I Checked It :(
@  Notorious Kelly : (10 September 2014 - 07:45 PM) Ebenefits Is Back "up" (But I Can't Do Anything In It) ;)
@  carlie : (10 September 2014 - 05:14 PM) Good - They Should Be Helping The Vets In The Virgin Islands - They Should Be Helping All Vets That Can't Earn A Living Due To Something They Experienced On Active Duty.
@  lcurle : (10 September 2014 - 04:37 PM) I Saw On Va.gov That They Are Helping The Homeless Vets In The Us Virgin Islands....im In!
@  lcurle : (10 September 2014 - 04:35 PM) You Must Be A Patient Man To Check It Only Every 10 Minutes, I Hit F5 Every 3 Seconds!
@  ssgtob1 : (10 September 2014 - 12:45 PM) Ebenefits Is Down :( Now I Cant Check It Every 10 Minutes
@  Gastone : (10 September 2014 - 04:25 AM) Heads Up! The 2013 Cbo Report Big Savings By Taxing Comp And Eliminating Iu Past 65 Starting In 2015. Not A Done Deal, Yet! Yrs Of Age.
@  carlie : (09 September 2014 - 06:12 PM) Dereekbanks - No - That Does Not Mean You Were Denied. They Do Not Update Ebenefits On A Daily Basis.
@  dereekbanks : (09 September 2014 - 05:27 AM) Ebenefits Shows My Claim Closed Yesterday, But My Benefit Letter Looks The Same. Does That Mean I Was Denied?
@  dereekbanks : (09 September 2014 - 05:24 AM) Thanks For The Replies!
@  iceturkee : (08 September 2014 - 02:48 PM) I Just Got My Allowance Less Than A Week After The Disapproved Was Changed To Approved

Photo
- - - - -

Nod/dro Processing Time?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
17 replies to this topic

#1 diablogun

diablogun

E-4 Petty Officer 3rd Class

• Second Class Petty Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 06:08 PM

Hi all,

I filed my NOD at the Phoenix VARO with a date of March 10, 2009, and am wondering how long you all have waited for a SOC after this point. My case is pretty clear cut and should result in a favorable outcome, but one can never be certain.
I would love to hear from you all how long it took in your experiences; I know that some have had a nightmare experince, but I would appreciate all outcomes. I have sent several IRIS inquiries but don't know how long my chances are for resolution. Thank you in advance :-)

Advertise Here

#2 Pete53

Pete53

Moderator/HadIt.com Elder

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21831 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 07:08 PM

You might do an Iris Inquiry or ask your VSO to look on the computer.

#3 Berta

Berta

HadIt.com Elder/SVR Radio Panelist

• SVR
  • 28678 posts

Posted 26 September 2009 - 06:33 AM

You could check them out as to their workload on their Morning Reports-

http://www.vba.va.go.../mmwr/index.asp

These are the weekly stats on the status of every RO workload.

The info can be difficult to interpret-

It is almost impossible to say how long a DRO review could take.
Filed NOD early 2005,got DRO review late 2005-but DRO couldnt read.(I assume that because all of my medical evidence was ignored)- Raised hell and got another DRO review,early 2006- my rep was there-he presented my IMOs to DRO, but DRO still didn't know how to read (she told the rep she didn't know how to read independent medical opinions).She got a VA opinion and somehow could read that.
Transferred to BVA in 2006, got an award April 2009.The BVA can read.

The best thing you can do-=because no one knows how long a claim will take to get to a DRO is to make sure you were able to comply with any evidence the VCAA letter requested and then check to make sure they have this evidence.

In the 6 years plus my claim took at VA - I had 6 years plus to gather more and more evidence.My feeling (after past experiences with my other claims) was even if a rater or DRO only considered one single piece of my evidence-each piece I sent to them was solid enough to award the claim.

My IMOs were the best evidence of all however- and they were continually ignored by the VA.

My neighbor filed a claim at same VARO in 2006 and in 8 months got an award letter.

I didnt even get a proper VCAA letter.

As the BVA web site reveals many many remands occur because VAROs fail to send a proper VCAA letter and response form to the claimant.It has happened so often that it must be a deliberate act on VA's part.

Without the VCAA letter stating exactly what evidence they need- the vet doesnt have a clue as to what evidence to send to them.

If they fail to list a Response form with the VCAA letter and fail to send it-
the VA has stalled countless claims because then they can deny and tell the vet they failed to respond- to the letter the VA failed to send them to respond with.

I have griped to H VAC and to the Sub Committee last year about this and told them that even my POA reps tried to pressure me to believe my VCAA letter was proper.
The BVA clearly saw it wasn't.

Any improper VCAA letter is highly prejudicial to any claimant and has caused thousands of VCAA remands at the BVA.

Things have perhaps changed.The remands over VCAA violations have decreased considerably as it appears at the BVA web site in the last year.

Check your VCAA letter ,make sure you responded to it and make sure you tried to comply with the evidence they requested in the letter.As miserable as it is to wait for a DRO review- this gives us time to secure more evidence.

Edited by Berta, 26 September 2009 - 06:37 AM.

#4 diablogun

diablogun

• PipPipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 26 September 2009 - 07:47 AM

That is some good information you posted. Looking at the SOC column on a weekly basis, it looks like they may be doing 50 a week or so.

I will die if I have to wait as long as you for resolution on something that is so obvious :-) 6 years is insane.

#5 myround0

myround0

E-5 Petty Officer 2nd Class

• First Class Petty Officer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 26 September 2009 - 07:48 AM

I filed an NOD in January of '09, and it was processed in February of '09, at the Regional office in Waco. My wife received a phone call in Aug. '09 stating they would review my case during that month. In Sept. I received a phone call from the VA asking martial questions. To date (Sept 26) I have yet to receive anything else.

#6 diablogun

diablogun

• PipPipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 26 September 2009 - 08:40 AM

It sound slike you are getting close then; I wish I was :-)

#7 vmo

vmo

E-6 Petty Officer 1st Class

• Chief Petty Officers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 10:00 AM

Hi all,

I filed my NOD at the Phoenix VARO with a date of March 10, 2009, and am wondering how long you all have waited for a SOC after this point. My case is pretty clear cut and should result in a favorable outcome, but one can never be certain.
I would love to hear from you all how long it took in your experiences; I know that some have had a nightmare experince, but I would appreciate all outcomes. I have sent several IRIS inquiries but don't know how long my chances are for resolution. Thank you in advance :-)

I filed NOD requesting
DeNovo review by DRO. Did not request hearing. Filed 4/08, decision 9/09, partial grant. I was impressed by the detailed listing of evidence, exams, etc., by the DRO. However, I do not agree with his/her decision--I feel my rating is still low-balled. *Ironic: the detailed listing of evidence was in more detail and more accurate than the prior BVA decision it pertained to in 2007. I get the impression that may be someone in the VARO is at least trying to do a better job.

#8 Papa

Papa

E-8 Senior Chief Petty Officer

• Senior Chief Petty Officer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 903 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 10:21 AM

My NOD is in Houston :) . I was told at least one year for completion, I wish mine was in Waco :angry:

Ken

#9 Jayg

Jayg

E-7 Chief Petty Officer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 466 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 10:51 AM

I filed an NOD in January of '09, and it was processed in February of '09, at the Regional office in Waco. My wife received a phone call in Aug. '09 stating they would review my case during that month. In Sept. I received a phone call from the VA asking martial questions. To date (Sept 26) I have yet to receive anything else.

I'm going through Waco too. Had a dro hearing in Mrch. I just finished with tests a couple weeks ago. I just found out last week a decision has been made. Waiting to find out what that is (but expect I know the answer.).

#10 broncovet

broncovet

E-9 Master Chief Petty Officer

• Master Chief Petty Officer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3639 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 11:58 AM

The "time frame" is going to be exactly what the Regional Office thinks it should be, no more, no less. They have no set schedule and RO's often take full advantage of this fact. Veterans have strict deadlines, and are not allowed a single day's leeway. If you have sent a NOD in 1 year and 1 day after your RO decision, you will know what I mean. I have heard of one Veteran receiving benefits in as little as 7 months, I also know a Veteran who put in his claim in 1973 with no successful resolution yet. An "Average" is probably in between those extremes, if I were to venture a guess, I would say 1-2 years. My claim took 7 years, including appeals. The famous "six month" processing time that the RO claims does not include appeal times, and, since the majority of claims are denied the first time, I think this 6 month number is "spin" while the average actual time for a Veteran to obtain benefits is about 3 years, with 2 years being a minimum for appeals.
Personally, I think this is all backwards. I think the Veteran should NOT be on a strict timetable, while the Regional Office should have a strict limit on processing time..probably 90 days. Social Security does their claims within 90 days, so why cant the VA?

#11 darkhorse

darkhorse

E-5 Petty Officer 2nd Class

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 01:33 PM

SS doing their claims in 90 days is a very lenient number. Mine took over year 1/2.

dh

Social Security does their claims within 90 days, so why cant the VA?

#12 diablogun

diablogun

• PipPipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 07:48 PM

I am afraid you are right. I am just hoping it will only take them 1 year to fix a mistake a child could have figured out. Ugh, this wait is horrible for something that is so obvious and not open to interpretation...

#13 Papa

Papa

E-8 Senior Chief Petty Officer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 903 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 08:14 PM

I have to go through the NOD process because my DAV SO ask for my doctor's name and phone number. Hence, for some reason thed VA only used some old medical records dated to 1982 for my DMII claim. They apparently clould not call the doctor for the correct documents, and I should have noticed the error. Now, I will have to wait and wait and wait........................ :)

Papa

#14 diablogun

diablogun

• PipPipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 08:18 PM

Papa, that sucks, but I'll be waiting with you forever as well :-)

#15 carlie

carlie

Moderator/Admin/HadIt.com Elder/SVR Radio Panelist

• Admin
  • 22133 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 09:23 AM

Hi all,

diablogun,
I am sitting here looking at a Supplemental Statement of the Case, (SSOC)
that is dated February 26, 2005 and from the St. Petersburg RO.

It states,

"This is in further reference to the appeal you have filed from our decision
on your claim for benefits.
It is not a decision on the appeal you have initiated.
It is a Supplemental Statement of the Case which contains changes or
additions to the original Statements of the Case sent to you on June 17, 2002
and August 12, 2003.
A previous Supplemental Statement of the Case was sent on August 12, 2003.
We are giving you a period of 60 days to make any comment you wish
concerning the additional information."

This can all get very confusing.

jmho,
carlie

#16 john999

john999

HadIt.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • 22212 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 10:13 AM

It is sad to file a claim, and then wait for 18 months to get a low ball rating, and then spend a couple more years getting it right if you are lucky. You can get caught up in the BVA,Remand,VARO,BVA cycle for decades. I think if the VA granted me everything I asked for I would faint. They either cheat you on the rating, or the effective date. The majority of vets use a broken down VSO to do their claim, and what a mistake that is when the VSO advises them not to appeal because they might lose what they have. When I got 70% my DAV VSO advised me not to appeal, and ask for IU. What an idiot. I just used them as a mail drop. I have ignored everything they have ever told me since that time.

#17 diablogun

diablogun

• PipPipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 10:36 AM

That is true, I also never listen to the non-advice from my VSO. I haven't even talked to him for 1 year. To me 6 months sounds like an absolute maximum they should take to process an appeal to the DRO. Years is just stupid and unreasonable.

#18 diablogun

diablogun

• PipPipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 10:37 AM

It may just be me but that letter makes no sense. I have had to correct the Phoenix VARO on many occasions with their insane mistakes, and this was before the appeal. I am hoping I don't have to go to the BVA to fix their rating mistake.

Advertise Here