Search

Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Tbird : (22 November 2014 - 04:54 PM) Tbird Accepted To 2015 Conference: V-Wise: Another Entrepreneurship Project Of The Whitman School Of Management Http://ow.ly/ej9Qg
@  Tbird : (22 November 2014 - 04:13 PM) Arng11 Thank You For Your Contribution To Our Funding Campaign.
@  britton : (22 November 2014 - 02:57 PM) Thank You Ms T For Starting This Web Site For All Veterans, You Helpd Me And My Family And I'll Be Forever Gratful To You & Hadit.com
@  Tbird : (22 November 2014 - 08:19 AM) Thank You All For Helping With The Funding The Site. It Is Really Helping!
@  Tbird : (22 November 2014 - 08:18 AM) Britton Pm Me And I. Can Check This Out For You
@  britton : (22 November 2014 - 06:44 AM) What Does ''you Missed Your Quota For Postives Votes Today'' Mean??
@  coriemboh : (19 November 2014 - 08:29 AM) Hold Time For Peggy Was Approximately 1 Minute. That Was 17 Minutes Ago. They Really Need To Change This Hold Music.
@  Tbird : (17 November 2014 - 02:42 PM) Stretch Thanks For The Extra Contribution To Our Fundraiser This Month.
@  maxwell18 : (16 November 2014 - 09:04 PM) I Still Have To Bitch About The Navy Hosp Cutting My Meds By 2/3 On My Norco. I Contacted Customer Service Or What Ever You Want To Call It Who In Turn Contacted The Navy Hosp Pensacola Commander Who In Turn Did Nothing. Thanks To All The People That Are Affair Of There Jobs And I Feel That Medical Malpractice Should Come Into Place. I Guess Just Do What Ever They Want To Because They Can, But Don't Give A Sh T For The Vets That Suppose To Being Supporting From All The Military  organizations. This Is Not The Way They Have Been Trained And Promised To Do. 
@  carlie : (16 November 2014 - 11:26 AM) Delayed Onset Tinnitus - Ref To Va Training Letter 10-028 - Link - Http://veteranclaims.wordpress.com/2014/05/06/single-Judge-Application-Va-Training-Letter-10-028-Delayed-Onset-Tinnitus/
@  carlie : (16 November 2014 - 11:03 AM) Here's A Good Tinnitus Link To Check Out From M21-1 Change Dated Jan 10,2014 - Http://veteranclaims.wordpress.com/tag/section-B-Duty-Military-Occupational-Specialty-Mos-Noise-Exposure-Listing-Fast-Letter-10-35-Tinnitus-Hearing-Loss-Vbms-Rating-Decision-Tools/
@  Asiadaug : (16 November 2014 - 02:08 AM) "rolled" Not Ruled! :)
@  Asiadaug : (16 November 2014 - 02:07 AM) Thanks. I Have Seen The Fast Ltr 10-35 And Have Seen Cases Where The Va Has Apparently Agreed That Tinnitus Can Have Delayed Onset. I Did Not In Looking Over The Fast Ltr See Where They Had Ruled 10-028 Into That. And, I Am Not Sure In The Vas Issuance Of ‘policy’ Type Letters How They Might Roll In Previous Instructions Into Newer Ones. Maybe There Is Some Intranet Traceability Capability? I Was Just Curious As There ‘appeared’ To Be Conspicuous Absence Of That 10-028. I Am Assuming 10-028 Was Written In 2010. But It May Be I Should Not Assume Anything.
@  carlie : (15 November 2014 - 05:56 PM) Asiadaug - You Might Be Looking For Fast Letter 10-35, Http://www.hadit.com/forums/topic/40962-Va-Fl-10-35/ Also Check Out This Link To Links For Delayed Onset Tinnitus - They All Refer Back To Fast Letter 10-35, Https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=Chrome-Instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=Utf-8#q=Tinnitus, Delayed Onset, Va Fast Letter
@  Tbird : (15 November 2014 - 07:50 AM) Asiadaug Searched All Over For Va Training Letter 10-028 But No Luck So Far.
@  Asiadaug : (15 November 2014 - 02:12 AM) Several Cases I've Run Across Mention Va Training Letter 10-028 With Apparent Discussion About Delayed Onset Of Tinnitus. I Have Been Unable To Locate That Trng Ltr. Any Suggestions?
@  Tbird : (12 November 2014 - 05:56 PM) Stretch Thanks For Contributing To Our Fundraising Campairg
@  Tbird : (12 November 2014 - 04:01 AM) Atomicwidow Thank Your For Donating To Our Funding Campaign.
@  Tbird : (11 November 2014 - 07:00 AM) Veterans Day 2014 - Veterans Thank You For Your Service And Your Sacrifice.
@  Tbird : (10 November 2014 - 07:19 AM) Semper Fi Marines

Photo

Ptsd Increase

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
17 replies to this topic

#1 sandboxsquid

sandboxsquid

E-3 Seaman

• Third Class Petty Officers
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 11:02 AM

I'm currently at 30% for PTSD, and I'm ready to file for an increase. Nightmares have gotten worse, insomnia is the norm, intrusive thoughts throughout the day, bouncing from job to job, realtionship with the wife is getting rockier by the day, etc. (you get the picture) My question is will another C&P exam need to be performed? I am currently receiving counseling from a VA social worker twice monthly and have a VA shrink dispensing the meds, so my file would be an open book for them to review. Any info you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

#2 Pete53

Pete53

Moderator/HadIt.com Elder

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21895 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 12:20 PM

Yes they will probably do another C&P exam if they intend to increase it. No C&P usually means no increase.

#3 bob barker

bob barker

E-3 Seaman

• PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 01:29 PM

Yes they will probably do another C&P exam if they intend to increase it. No C&P usually means no increase.

what about if the request for increase is within 30 days of your rating?

#4 john999

john999

HadIt.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • 22327 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 03:06 PM

If you are serious about an increase you should get an independent medical opinion that should state that your PTSD has gotten worse. The IMO needs access to your VA medical records. He does not need your SMR's since you have already been SC'ed for PTSD. What you want to show is that your PTSD symptoms have gotten worse and that you are more disabled than you were when you got 30% rating. You should get a copy of the VA PTSD Exam format, and what the differences between a 30%, 50% and 70-100% ratings are for the VA. Your VA doctor is not interested in helping you get more compensation. He just treats you. You have to connect the dots to show you have gotten worse. If you depend just on the VA you may be at 30% for many years to come.

#5 mobie16r

mobie16r

E-6 Petty Officer 1st Class

• Senior Chief Petty Officer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 03:57 PM

You dont necessary have to have a C&P to get a increase for PTSD.If you got a IMO and a VA pyschiartist write a letter that your ptsd syptoms have worsen and you are being treated you can get a increase.ITs all about evidence that you get from a medical professional.
mobie

#6 sharon

sharon

HadIt.com Elder/Moderator

• Master Chief Petty Officer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1126 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 09:04 PM

what about if the request for increase is within 30 days of your rating?

If you have medical evidence, then ask for a reconsideration.

#7 Pete53

Pete53

• 21895 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 11:02 PM

That's different cause you already had a C&P

#8 Philip Rogers

Philip Rogers

HadIt.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3972 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 05:52 AM

sandboxsquid - I don't recall your award date but why would you request an increase over a appeal(NOD) of the original award?? They'll probably do another C&P, if it's been a yr or more since the previous exam. You should read the ratings criteria to see what level of award you meet. Remember you need not meet all the criteria at a particular percentage to receive that award.

pr

I'm currently at 30% for PTSD, and I'm ready to file for an increase. Nightmares have gotten worse, insomnia is the norm, intrusive thoughts throughout the day, bouncing from job to job, realtionship with the wife is getting rockier by the day, etc. (you get the picture) My question is will another C&P exam need to be performed? I am currently receiving counseling from a VA social worker twice monthly and have a VA shrink dispensing the meds, so my file would be an open book for them to review. Any info you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

#9 Bill (USAF Retired)

Bill (USAF Retired)

E-4 Petty Officer 3rd Class

• Second Class Petty Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 07:17 AM

I got an increase from 30% to 50% (the 30% was major depressive disorder, the 50% was depression plus PTSD) without a C&P. I was overwhelmed with worsening symptoms, and when suicidal thoughts entered the picture I got my (behind) over to my local VAMC for obvious reasons. Increase was the last thing on my mind; I needed help.

They took my concerns seriously and saw me immediately (yes, and had me under constant observation too). I was seen by a psychologist (who diagnosed PTSD based on my previous C&P plus new symptoms) and a psychiatrist who concurred. The psychiatrist point blank said to file for an increase and prescribed me three additional medications. He also noted some marks under my eyes, told me they were xanthomata (indicators of high cholesterol) and ordered bloodwork on me.

The stressor was already a matter of record (medal, SMR and VA medical records). I did the online claim the next day, and they upgraded me 10 weeks later.

Short version: No C&P and I still got an upgrade per evidence of record. Your mileage may vary.

#10 sandboxsquid

sandboxsquid

E-3 Seaman

• PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 10:50 AM

It has been over a year since my award, and I went through my C&P originally back in early 2008. My stressors, medals, and all things connected are already a matter of record as well, so I think I'm just going to fillout the online claim as well. If I have to go through another C&P exam, so be it.

#11 john999

john999

HadIt.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • 22327 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 11:02 AM

The online claim thing is for new claims I believe. For an increase all you have to do is write a letter to your VARO and tell them you request a higher rating because your disability has gotten worse. You need evidence to show it has gotten worse, but you don't have to reinvent the wheel.

#12 Philip Rogers

Philip Rogers

HadIt.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3972 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 12:48 PM

I just remembered, if you are requesting an increase, the VA is required to give you a C&P. Also, there used to be CAVC case law that may help you get around the one yr NOD thing. It had to do w/something like the assumption that the claimant was seeking the highest rating possible and if it wasn't awarded it was automatically considered appealed, or something like that. Someone else may be able to quote the case.

pr

#13 Pete53

Pete53

• 21895 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 02:42 PM

No matter how you have to ask or nothing will happen.

Good Luck

#14 john999

john999

HadIt.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • 22327 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 04:15 PM

You have to ask for it. However, I think if you are entitled to a benefit the VA is supposed to consider a grant even if you don't ask for it because it is inferred by the reg that Phil parphrased. In reality you have to ask or 99% of the time you don't get, but this might be the basis of an appeal. For instance, if you can't work due to an SC condition the VA is supposed to consider IU even if you don't ask for it.

#15 cachanilla73

cachanilla73

• PipPipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 07:56 AM

My husband got 10 % ptsd the first time, but it was obvious to me and his family that his problem was higher... he is getting counseling at the Veterans Center and seing a phsyc. at VA hospital, both agree his ptsd is around 40 to 50 %.... He filed for an increase, he sent the opinion from both profesionals plus the list of medicines prescribed by the phsyc as new evidence, and he still got the letter for his C & P exam...

#16 Victor_C3

Victor_C3

E-3 Seaman

• Seaman
  • PipPipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 10:07 AM

I was rated at 30% the first time around in September 08. In April I got into some trouble at work and they suspended me. I got re-evaluated in June 09 for 70%. I just lost my job in October 09 because of my PTSD and I put in a request for IU and I'm waiting for that. I feel my symptoms are worse now than they were in June 09 and I'm hoping that I get another C&P.

For the 30%-70% jump I submited a new claim and stated that my symptoms were getting worse. They scheduled another C&P. I had the same person examining me the second time around as I did the first time. The person even remembered me! I'm sure that helped. The biggest thing that I think helped to secure my jump was the fact that I actually had lost a significant ammount of time at work because of my PTSD. And, well, the suicide and violent thoughts helped too.

Best of luck!

#17 john999

john999

HadIt.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • 22327 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 10:12 AM

Squid

The way these ratings for mental health issues usually go is 10-30% first claim. You appeal with more evidence and maybe they bump you up to 50%. If you are not working due to PTSD then the VA bumps you up to 70-100%. This usually takes a few years unless you are totally incapacitated by the PTSD. If you are working it is hard to get more than 50%, but that sets the table for a higher rating. Getting a decent rating from the VA is a job. You have to work at it. It sounds like you are working at it. Keep going to the VA and complain your head off about your symptoms.

#18 cachanilla73

cachanilla73

• PipPipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 11:31 AM

This is interesting.... my husband is 10% ptsd. He filed for an increase, the VA already took a look at his medical records, his psychiatric told him, his C&P is on feb 2010... My husband works for the va hospital, he has been transfered to differents shifts and sections because He doesn't get along with his coworkers and superiors ( same with 14 jobs He has held since 2001 ).... last march He was forced to step down his work leader position to a regular housekeeping worker, He took it because He was afraid they will denie unemployment. He didn't submit this letter with the increase petition... since his claims (fibromylagia, apnea, tinnitus, low back, Gulf War Syndrome, sinnus ) already are in the post determination team He was told not so send the letter unless He is denied an increase.... any imput will be greatly appreciate it.....