Photo
- - - - -

Fibromyalgia

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
22 replies to this topic

#1 bigoc

bigoc

E-5 Petty Officer 2nd Class

• First Class Petty Officer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 09:15 AM

I was wondering if anyone is rated for Fibromyalgia?  And what was involved in getting it service connected.

#2 Berta

Berta

HadIt.com Elder/SVR Radio Panelist

• Podcast Crew
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29181 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 09:31 AM

Some claims for fibrolyalgia had succeeded at the BVA:

http://www.va.gov/ve...es4/0928506.txt

#3 pete992

pete992

E-8 Senior Chief Petty Officer

• Senior Chief Petty Officer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1496 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 10:09 AM

For any condition to be awarded service connection you would need:

1. A diagnosed condition while in service or symptoms of a condition while in service.

2. A current diagnosed condition.

3. A nexus (a medical opinion) that the diagnosed condition/symptoms while in service are related or were the onset of the current condition.

Conditions Automatically Recognized for Service Connection

Many Gulf War Veterans encountered problems when trying to prove that their difficult-to-diagnose or undiagnosed illnesses were connected to military service. This affected these Veterans' access to disability compensation.

In response, VA asked Congress for the authority to provide compensation benefits to Gulf War Veterans who are chronically disabled by undiagnosed illnesses. The 1994 statute authorizes VA to pay compensation for disabilities that cannot be diagnosed as a specific disease or injury, or for certain illnesses with unknown cause, including chronic fatigue, persistent rashes, hair loss, headaches, muscle pain, joint pain, neurological symptoms, neuropsychological symptoms such as memory loss, respiratory system symptoms, sleep disturbances, gastrointestinal symptoms, cardiovascular symptoms, abnormal weight loss, and menstrual disorders.

#4 pete992

pete992

• 1496 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 10:26 AM

Current rating for fibromyalgia:

Fibromyalgia (fibrositis, primary fibromyalgia syndrome) With widespread musculoskeletal pain and tender points, with or without associated fatigue, sleep disturbance, stiffness, paresthesias, headache, irritable bowel symptoms, depression, anxiety, or Raynaud's-like symptoms:

That are constant, or nearly so, and refractory to therapy ........................................... 40

That are episodic, with exacerbations often precipitated by environmental or emotional stress or by overexertion, but that are present more than one-third of the time .......................................................... 20

That require continuous medication for control.............................................................. 10

#5 kw34

kw34

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 10:38 AM

I have a claim in for it I have been experiencing joint pain and muscle fatigue since about 1996 I did not know what it was until I filed my presumptive claim for skin cancer. I finally recieved a gulf war exam and my PCP prescribed me naproxen 500mg twice a day. I told the doctor at a physical in 2004 and I waviered from push ups in PT and told to walk insted of running. I hope this is enough to show it exsisted in service. The Va must of done a thousand xrays with nothing abnormal. Some days my shoulders and hips hurt so bad I cant sleep my knees have swollen up for no reason and I could bearly walk but nothing showed up on xrays. I will keep you informed gulf war cases are tough to win, despite obvious skin problems I was denied presumptive SC before winning by providing two nexus letters.

#6 windy city

windy city

E-6 Petty Officer 1st Class

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 08:07 PM

I was diagnosed with FMS and recieve 40% for it. Was diagnosed by my VA doctor and also when I had my c&p exam. good luck with your claim.

I was wondering if anyone is rated for Fibromyalgia?  And what was involved in getting it service connected.

#7 bigoc

bigoc

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 08:10 AM

What would be the difference between Fibromyalgia and Undiagnosed illness?  Fibromyalgia does not have a specific cause.  

As I look at it, it seems that Fibromyalgia is the civilian equivalent of Gulf War related mystery diagnoses.  Yet both are rated by the VA.  

What would be the best to pursue if you have similar symptoms?

I have joint pain, joint swelling, wide spread muscle pain, fatigue, neurological symptoms, sleep disturbances, irritable bowel symptoms.  Would and IMO for a diagnosis of Fibromyalgia from a private Doc or a IMO of multi-symptom unknown diagnosis be helpful.  I think private doctors would be hesitant to put something in writing that says "I am treating this patient but I have no known diagnosis."

#8 pete992

pete992

• 1496 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 01:08 PM

A diagnoses from a civilian or a VA doctor with a statement, stating that you have fibromyalgia, Irritable Bowel syndrome, sleep disturbance, wide spread muscle pain and any other condition you have. In order for a doctor to make this statement they must review your medical records or have been treating you for about six months (not sure on the time frame but think it is six months). Fibromyalgia and Irritable bowel syndrome can be rated separately without pyramiding.

#9 carlie

carlie

Moderator/Admin/HadIt.com Elder/SVR Radio Panelist

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22282 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 01:13 PM

What would be the difference between Fibromyalgia and Undiagnosed illness?  Fibromyalgia does not have a specific cause.  

bigoc,
You are correct in that very seldom is there a specific cause
know for a persons diagnosis of fibromyalgia.

Once someone has a diagnosis of fibromyalgia -
they then have a diagnoised illness.
jmho,
carlie

#10 luvHIM

luvHIM

E-7 Chief Petty Officer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 632 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 05:40 PM

Yes, I have sc entitlement for fibromyalgia secondary to AS rated (separately) at 60%.

Received VAMC dx by VA rheumatologist and then(not intenitonally)confirmed by two community rheumatologists, along with C&P examiner.

Edited by luvHIM, 12 October 2009 - 05:42 PM.

#11 pete992

pete992

• 1496 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 05:52 PM

luvhim,

Yes, I have sc entitlement for fibromyalgia secondary to AS rated (separately) at 60%.

Can you please verify your rating? The max for fibromyalgia is currently 40% is it combined with something else?

#12 luvHIM

luvHIM

E-7 Chief Petty Officer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 632 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 06:15 PM

Sorry. Did not state right...I am 40% for the fibromyalgia and 40% for the AS equalling 60% for those two conditiions.

Plus TDIU P&T. So, 100%.

#13 halos2

halos2

• 1488 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 05:52 AM

How did you get the 100% TDIU? How long did it take you to get this? What era did you serve in?[

quote name='luvHIM' date='Oct 12 2009, 07:15 PM' post='170511']
Sorry. Did not state right...I am 40% for the fibromyalgia and 40% for the AS equalling 60% for those two conditiions.

Plus TDIU P&T. So, 100%.
[/quote]

#14 retiredat44

retiredat44

• 785 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 01:25 PM

Interesting I have been diagnosed with this, and just about everything else, Intestinal disease, and all pains everywhere..

The doctors put this in my records a long time ago, but since then more diagnosis's have come been done to explain the pain... but before those, the one catch all diax or Fibromyalgia was used before they found the cause of some of the pain..

Not sure, but I would think the cause would have to be linked to an illness or injury related to the Fibro while on active duty..

If someone gets this later with no relation to active duty, not sure if they would give you benefits for it..

as Fibro is still a catch all for unexplained all over body pain..

but hey! I am just a basket case.. so my case probably will not match other people's illness..
:rolleyes:

#15 bigoc

bigoc

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 03:09 PM

I don't know if you are just a basket case.  I have wide spread pain, joint issues, psoriasis, intestinal, urinary, neurological issues, and sleep apnea and host that i am sure I am forgetting right now.  So there are others with multiple problems.

I am wondering if some of your multitude of symptoms start to get diagnosed or already have a few with diagnosis will that hurt your case for fibromyalgia.  

#16 pete992

pete992

• 1496 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 03:28 PM

Try this web site for more info on fibromyalgia

http://www.medicinen...algia/page2.htm

#17 cachanilla73

cachanilla73

E-4 Petty Officer 3rd Class

• Second Class Petty Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 08:31 AM

My husband is a Gulf War Veteran, He was in combat for several months.... He was diagnosed with fibromyalgia, He was given several medicines until a couple o months the reumathologist prescribed Lyrica, She said she was sorry she couldn't give Him this earlier, but those were the instructions (by who or why she didn't say) and he was sent to acuatic therapy, She told him this therapy will be for life.... His claim for this and other injures are in the post determination team.... any comments will be really appreciated. Thanks....

#18 pete992

pete992

• 1496 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 09:46 AM

As long as he was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia or the symptoms of fibromyalgia in service, it should be fine

hope the best

#19 cachanilla73

cachanilla73

• PipPipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 01:23 PM

Ok, I am confused, the article for fibromyalgia states:

Title 38 laws on Chronic Fatigue, Fibromyalgia, Irritable Bowel Syndrome (unexplained illnesses)

(i) Became manifest either during active military, naval, or air service in the Southwest Asia theater of operations during the Persian Gulf War, or to a degree of 10 percent or more not later than December 31, 2011; and

My husband was diagnosed with fibromyalgia last year, aquatic theraphy didn't work, so why the heck his fibromyalgia claim is DEFERRED????/ HELP

#20 SLEDGE

SLEDGE

E-7 Chief Petty Officer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 02:40 PM

I'm service connected for fibro at 30 percent.

The claim was deferred because that's what they do.

It has nothing to do with the patient, the diagnosis, the medication or the onset date.
They like to stretch things out because the claim dies with the veteran, when the vet dies while pursuing a claim, regardless of the merits of the claim.

It's what they do.

sledge

#21 pete992

pete992

• 1496 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 05:49 PM

cachanilla73
Ok, I am confused, the article for fibromyalgia states:

Title 38 laws on Chronic Fatigue, Fibromyalgia, Irritable Bowel Syndrome (unexplained illnesses)

(i) Became manifest either during active military, naval, or air service in the Southwest Asia theater of operations during the Persian Gulf War, or to a degree of 10 percent or more not later than December 31, 2011; and

My husband was diagnosed with fibromyalgia last year, aquatic theraphy didn't work, so why the heck his fibromyalgia claim is DEFERRED????/ HELP

VA will most likely request another C & P exam

I filed a claim for fibromyalgia in 2006, VA denied my claim and said I was never diagnosed with the disorder. My Dr. diagnosed the disorder again and then I was service connected for it after two C & P exams.

#22 cachanilla73

cachanilla73

• PipPipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 03:05 PM

Thank you everyone for your responses, this is the best way to learn about the rights and benefits veterans have. We have been fighting to get my husband benefits since 2004, and the claims he has win is because all the information from all of You. Thanks.

#23 cachanilla73

cachanilla73

• PipPipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 03:14 PM

VA will most likely request another C & P exam

I filed a claim for fibromyalgia in 2006, VA denied my claim and said I was never diagnosed with the disorder. My Dr. diagnosed the disorder again and then I was service connected for it after two C & P exams.

My husband already has the diagnosis, physical and acuatic therapy failed and the doctor increased the Lyrica dosis, told Him to learn to live with it, (ha, so easy for them to say that ) One VSO told him since he has the diagnosis, and was a Gulf War Vet, and it was before the onset dateline (dic-31-2011) He should of get the claim automatically, but...... here we are, in Limbo againg. I just don't get why the VA didn't schedule a C&P exam, guess they are trying to find a way out... :D

Thanks for you info...