Advertise Here

Photo
- - - - -

Sarcoidosis

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 KamiKappa B

KamiKappa B

E-3 Seaman

• Third Class Petty Officers
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 12:19 PM

I separated from the Marines December of 2003, OIF Vet, was there at the kickoff of that event. September of 2008 I noticed swollen lymph nodes in my neck/jaw area. After a biopsy that lead to a collapsed lung I was notified by the VA (I had to contact them to find out) that I have sarcoidosis. The doctor told me that she was seeing an increase in cases of sarcoidosis in servicemembers coming back from Iraq. My question is: Even though 5 years had passed since I separated from the military, can my sarcoidosis be considered service connected? I did a little research on this site and noticed something about it being considered "presumptive." Can someone please break this down to me in something other than just a lot of medical jargon. I have a difficult time sometimes trying to understand what things mean. Any help is appreciated.

Kappa

Advertise Here

#2 jbasser

jbasser

Moderator/HadIt.com Elder/SVR Radio Panelist

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6167 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 01:52 PM

I read it as presumptive conditions is 1 year.And the disease must be compensable.
There are also time limits on service.

J

#3 john999

john999

HadIt.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22162 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 02:38 PM

Did you have any symptoms in service? Is there anything in your SMR's to suggest you had health problems?

#4 KamiKappa B

KamiKappa B

E-3 Seaman

• PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 02:43 PM

The closest thing I have to anything respitory is that I am SC rated 10% for sinusitis/rhinitis.

#5 john999

john999

HadIt.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • 22162 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 03:35 PM

The longer you wait to file a claim after service the harder it gets in most cases except if there is a presumption like AO claims. If you don't have evidence in your SMR's it gets even harder. The VA is great at saying " vets SMR's are silent on this issue". The VA is an adversarial system. You have to prove by medical evidence that your disability is connected to your service.

#6 Berta

Berta

HadIt.com Elder/SVR Radio Panelist

• SVR
  • 28469 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 07:42 AM

This claim might help you deternmine what the VA will need as evidence-- were you exposed to any type of burn pits in Iraq? ANy other types of chemicals? What was your MOS?

http://www.va.gov/ve...es2/0715885.txt

This was a PGW vet but still -if you can prove exposure to anything in service that could have caused your sarcoidosis-
along with the respiratory condition you also have documented now- your claim could be granted.It probably wont be easy-but NOTHING is impossible -
would the doc you mentioned be willing to write an IMO for you?

"In May 2006, the veteran underwent a VA Respiratory
Examination. The examiner noted that his findings were
suggestive of sarcoidosis, but a definite diagnosis would
require observation over time and possible invasive testing.
He added that the etiology of sarcoidosis is unknown, but the
contents of smoke from burning oil wells could contain
factors responsible for this condition. In September 2006,
the examiner provided further clarification noting that the
veteran's respiratory signs and symptoms are more likely than
not due to exposure to burning oil, suffered in Iraq, which
contained numerous, noxious chemicals capable of causing
permanent respiratory damage. He added that this was true
whether or not the definitive diagnosis is sarcoidosis and
that such exposure may well initiate the inflammatory cascade
that creates sarcoidosis and may also do direct damage to
lung parenchyma and airway mucosa so as to result in the same
symptoms. Based on the examiner's opinion, service
connection for a respiratory disability, to include
sarcoidosis, is warranted. 38 U.S.C.A. 5107; Gilbert, 1
Vet. App. at 54.

Duties to Notify and Assist

The Veterans Claims Assistance Act of 2000 (VCAA) describes
VA's duty to notify and assist claimants in substantiating a
claim for VA benefits. 38 U.S.C.A. 5100, 5102, 5103,
5103A, 5107, 5126; 38 C.F.R. 3.102, 3.156(a), 3.159,
3.326(a). Because of the favorable outcome in this case, any
failure of VA to fully comply with the VCAA is harmless
error.

ORDER

Entitlement to service connection for a respiratory
disability, to include sarcoidosis, is granted."

#7 KamiKappa B

KamiKappa B

E-3 Seaman

• PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 09:00 AM

Bertha,

I was told by my primary care and mental health doctors at the VA that they no longer could do IMO's. I assume it's the same with the doc that was telling me about sarcoidosis. I believe I have an appointment coming up and hopefully I will be able to ask her then about the IMO.
I DID come across a journal that I kept covering the time from when we were on ship, up to us being in Baghdad. In this journal is an entry specifically talking about burning of feces and animal carcasses in our immediate area. I wrote it as sort of a poem. There's a lot of unmentionable stuff in there. Do you think that it may help in any way? Thanks for your help.

#8 Berta

Berta

HadIt.com Elder/SVR Radio Panelist

• SVR
  • 28469 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 09:20 AM

It could possibly help-but I am not sure if this type of burning would cause your condition- did you note any buddys in the journal with any contact info?

These two links might help: the first one is the VBN forum and sarcoidosis vets there might have email addys in their profiles- there could be an OIF OEF vet there-

http://vets.yuku.com...sis.html <br />

http://www.nlm.nih.g...arcoidosis.html

this is a general description and the causes of your disability.

It could be worth your while to consider getting an IMO from outside the VA but they can be expensive.
Often it is the onkly way some claims can succeed.

You need to establish the inservice nexus.
that is proven exposure to something in service that as likely as not could have caused the sarcoidosis.

What was your inservice MOS?

#9 KamiKappa B

KamiKappa B

E-3 Seaman

• PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 09:30 AM

My apologies Berta,

My MOS was 3521, Motor Transport mechanic. So i spent a lot of time crawling in, around, and underneath a lot of vehicles. No, I didn't mention any other people by name in the journal, just "this guy" or "the corpsman." Thank you for your help.

Kappa

#10 vmo

vmo

E-6 Petty Officer 1st Class

• Chief Petty Officers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 10:56 PM

KammiKappa B,

I too, have sarcoidosis. However, I am not s/c for it.
You may want to obtain and review a copy of:

DEPARTMENT OF VETERANS AFFAIRS
UNDER SECRETARY FOR HEALTH'S INFORMATION LETTER "SARCOIDOSIS"
IL 10-2005-011, MAY 27, 2005.
JONATHAN B. PERLIN, MD,PHD, MSHA, FACP.
UNDER SECRETARY FOR HEALTH

*I have a copy of this letter. Possibly, I believe the UNDER SECRETARY has issued more current letters since this one. However, I am technologically challenged--not having a scanner. Possibly "Berta" or some other has the means to obtain this letter for you. If not, PM me with an address or fax number and I will get a copy to you.

Semper Fi, Mack!!

VMO

#11 mgbemt

mgbemt

E-2 Recruit

• Seaman
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 04:08 PM

I separated from the Marines December of 2003, OIF Vet, was there at the kickoff of that event. September of 2008 I noticed swollen lymph nodes in my neck/jaw area. After a biopsy that lead to a collapsed lung I was notified by the VA (I had to contact them to find out) that I have sarcoidosis. The doctor told me that she was seeing an increase in cases of sarcoidosis in servicemembers coming back from Iraq. My question is: Even though 5 years had passed since I separated from the military, can my sarcoidosis be considered service connected? I did a little research on this site and noticed something about it being considered "presumptive." Can someone please break this down to me in something other than just a lot of medical jargon. I have a difficult time sometimes trying to understand what things mean. Any help is appreciated.

Kappa

I was also in Iraq in 2003. I was with the 101st and in vicinity of that big Sulfur fire near Q West/ Mosul. I hear more and more coming to light about us getting respiratory disorders.

Advertise Here