Photo
- - - - -

Son Is Turning 18 Still In High School

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
29 replies to this topic

#1 Testvet

Testvet

HadIt.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2478 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 02:50 PM

I have got the letter from CHAMPVA about if he wats to continue coverage then he needs to submit his college information, 2 things

he does not graduate from high school until the end of May because of the school district is Ga he didn't start school until he was 6

will they stop his payment in Feb or wait until June I have explained to him that he has to go thru the VARO to get his Chapter 35 benefits I can't do it he has to

SSD won't stop his check until he graduates in June how does the VA handle cases like this and what do I need to do if they should keep paying the benefits for a child until he graduates or do they terminate at 18 regardless of high school status?

I just don't understand this all new to me....anyone else been thru this yet?

#2 pete992

pete992

E-8 Senior Chief Petty Officer

• Senior Chief Petty Officer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1406 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 03:07 PM

VA stopped my with dependent pay in Feb. When my daughter turned 18. Since we do not live in the same state, I found out what school she went to and I sent VA the information and they paid me until she graduated. I was just awarded 100% P & T and she had to fill out the chapter 35 application I sent her at her college veterans affairs office.

#3 Testvet

Testvet

HadIt.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • 2478 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 03:49 PM

VA stopped my with dependent pay in Feb. When my daughter turned 18. Since we do not live in the same state, I found out what school she went to and I sent VA the information and they paid me until she graduated. I was just awarded 100% P & T and she had to fill out the chapter 35 application I sent her at her college veterans affairs office.

Thanks I appreciate it better I tell them now rather than wait until they cut it off and we end up fighting with them to get paid from Feb -May thank you

#4 LarryJ

LarryJ

Hadit.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • 3214 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 03:49 PM

I have got the letter from CHAMPVA about if he wats to continue coverage then he needs to submit his college information, 2 things

he does not graduate from high school until the end of May because of the school district is Ga he didn't start school until he was 6

will they stop his payment in Feb or wait until June I have explained to him that he has to go thru the VARO to get his Chapter 35 benefits I can't do it he has to

SSD won't stop his check until he graduates in June how does the VA handle cases like this and what do I need to do if they should keep paying the benefits for a child until he graduates or do they terminate at 18 regardless of high school status?

Call the VA at 1-888-442-4551 or get on the 'net at www.gibill.va.gov, talk to the Education Officer. Explain what is going on. It happens all the time.
They'll talk to you, even it is your son who is "officially" applying for the DEA benefit. They have been very helpful to me, personally, where my son is concerned. He is in his final year of his graduate degree program. He just go a notice last week, they are giving the students a little "raise" believe it or not.

#5 Testvet

Testvet

HadIt.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • 2478 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 06:38 PM

Call the VA at 1-888-442-4551 or get on the 'net at www.gibill.va.gov, talk to the Education Officer. Explain what is going on. It happens all the time.
They'll talk to you, even it is your son who is "officially" applying for the DEA benefit. They have been very helpful to me, personally, where my son is concerned. He is in his final year of his graduate degree program. He just go a notice last week, they are giving the students a little "raise" believe it or not.

sounds like you have been thru this all then thanks do you know if any scholarships will affect the benefits from the VA he is supposed to get, or do they send the checks during the school year to him how does the summer work if he goes to summer school do they compensate that or just regular semesters? We are lucky that here in South Carolina he is supposed to get tuition free admittance to any college that is paid for by the state like any of the USC campuses or any other eduation facilities we live like 10 min from USC here in Columbia so he won't have to pay to live in the dorms that will save a ton of money we have a pool house apt so we won't cramp his life style (much anyway)

#6 steve&pat

steve&pat

E-4 Petty Officer 3rd Class

• Second Class Petty Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 07:01 PM

We just went thru that again on the third daughter. She was also home schooled also= but her birthday fell so she had turned 18 before she graduated. So filled out the paperwork thru the county serviice officer---- BUT REMEMBER at 18 THE VA NOW HAS TO PAY $@200. and some DOLLARS now for that child untill she graduates. We had to correct them and then got the back pay--- She didnt want to wait so she took the STATE GED AND GOT recomended by the state of MINN> and graduated early last July.
Here in MINN. you need to be okayed to take the GED TEST before age 19.

STEVE & PAT

#7 Testvet

Testvet

HadIt.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • 2478 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 07:50 PM

We just went thru that again on the third daughter. She was also home schooled also= but her birthday fell so she had turned 18 before she graduated. So filled out the paperwork thru the county serviice officer---- BUT REMEMBER at 18 THE VA NOW HAS TO PAY $@200. and some DOLLARS now for that child untill she graduates. We had to correct them and then got the back pay--- She didnt want to wait so she took the STATE GED AND GOT recomended by the state of MINN> and graduated early last July.

STEVE & PAT

I don't have a VSO my agent is a lawyer on record so I guess I need to go into the RO myself next week and see what I have to file, it is about 10 minutes from the house I haven't been in to the new office any way lol I haven't been to the RO since the BVA hearing last Feb it has been such a nice peaceful year the first one in a decade oh well my son is worth it thanks

#8 Pete53

Pete53

Moderator/HadIt.com Elder

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21601 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 10:01 PM

Back when my kids turned 18 still a few months from Graduation I had to fill out a form that included the School info and the VA actually started paying more money.

#9 navydoc2

navydoc2

E-7 Chief Petty Officer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 10:17 PM

I just filled out paperwork for my daughter for school and it took all of about a month. They just had to verify that she was in school and I was set.

#10 Testvet

Testvet

HadIt.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • 2478 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 11:04 PM

Back when my kids turned 18 still a few months from Graduation I had to fill out a form that included the School info and the VA actually started paying more money.

sounds good to me rofl it will last until May then he graduates around the 28th May

#11 Testvet

Testvet

HadIt.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • 2478 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 11:06 PM

I just filled out paperwork for my daughter for school and it took all of about a month. They just had to verify that she was in school and I was set.

Thanks I think my ex can call SS and get his support continued until May also since he doesn't graduate until then, since she is getting that check I will let her figure that mess out....if I am lucky she might let him call me for Xmas.....

#12 LarryJ

LarryJ

Hadit.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • 3214 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 11:08 PM

sounds like you have been thru this all then thanks do you know if any scholarships will affect the benefits from the VA he is supposed to get, or do they send the checks during the school year to him how does the summer work if he goes to summer school do they compensate that or just regular semesters? We are lucky that here in South Carolina he is supposed to get tuition free admittance to any college that is paid for by the state like any of the USC campuses or any other eduation facilities we live like 10 min from USC here in Columbia so he won't have to pay to live in the dorms that will save a ton of money we have a pool house apt so we won't cramp his life style (much anyway)

Naw, TV, they can get as many/much scholarship money as they can, it won't affect the $925 monthly stipend from the VA chap 35 DEA payments.
My son is in his graduate degree program, next semester will be his last, he'll graduate in the spring. He teaches a couple of classes (associate professorship), the college (University of Louisiana) pays him $700 a month for that, plus he has a full academic scholarship (tuition, room and board, books, fees) AND the School of Music also pays him for recording (his degree is in Music Media with a minor in Classical Guitar) the bands/orchestra/etc., so, heck, he's making out like a Champ!
I told him that he's making more money GOING TO SCHOOL than what he'll be able to make when he graduates and that he should just stay there and take his doctorate degree............but, he's kinda tired of going to school he says!

#13 LarryJ

LarryJ

Hadit.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • 3214 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 11:16 PM

Thanks I think my ex can call SS and get his support continued until May also since he doesn't graduate until then, since she is getting that check I will let her figure that mess out....if I am lucky she might let him call me for Xmas.....

Ya know, I had a wife like that, once.
She did everything she could to keep me from them, and them from me.
That worked until they got mature enough to think for themselves.
One's a doc, the other an RN (married to a doc, a pediatrician, she says he comes in handy at home.........they've got FIVE pedi's.....I tell her that I know what is causing that, and I'm NOT EVEN a doctor...................to which she replies "DAAAAAD!"). I keep encouraging them to keep in touch with their mother, now. B)

#14 Testvet

Testvet

HadIt.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • 2478 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 11:55 PM

Ya know, I had a wife like that, once.
She did everything she could to keep me from them, and them from me.
That worked until they got mature enough to think for themselves.
One's a doc, the other an RN (married to a doc, a pediatrician, she says he comes in handy at home.........they've got FIVE pedi's.....I tell her that I know what is causing that, and I'm NOT EVEN a doctor...................to which she replies "DAAAAAD!"). I keep encouraging them to keep in touch with their mother, now. B)

Thanks for the laugh I am grateful that I only had kids with wife #2 all 3 are from her, the other 4 marriages had no children I got fixed after I divorced her, the doc that did the snip and burn asked was I sure I wanted to stop being "productive" what would happen if one of the 3 kids I have died wouldn't I want to have another one?

I asked why, they aren't like a set of china you break one and buy another, if something happened to one of them, it's not like they can be recreated and I would just have to hope nothing that bad happens to them but I was allergic to the possibility getting hit with more child support payments Child support 1000 a month cut and burn a one time payment of 400 that is easy math to me 400 once or get drunk make a mistake and get a woman pregnant and damn here comes another child support payment coming no thanks once was enough

obviously I believe in love and marriage I just wish I didn't have to go thru so many to find the "right one" rofl #5 and current one married after I became disabled and had left the post office and without any type of retirement so she stuck with me broke and sick so I know she didn't marry me for my money I didn't have any rofl now that I get SSD and VA I know she ain't leaving ............I am a kept man I keep giving her the checks and she keeps me

#15 Testvet

Testvet

HadIt.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • 2478 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 12:04 AM

Naw, TV, they can get as many/much scholarship money as they can, it won't affect the $925 monthly stipend from the VA chap 35 DEA payments.
My son is in his graduate degree program, next semester will be his last, he'll graduate in the spring. He teaches a couple of classes (associate professorship), the college (University of Louisiana) pays him $700 a month for that, plus he has a full academic scholarship (tuition, room and board, books, fees) AND the School of Music also pays him for recording (his degree is in Music Media with a minor in Classical Guitar) the bands/orchestra/etc., so, heck, he's making out like a Champ!
I told him that he's making more money GOING TO SCHOOL than what he'll be able to make when he graduates and that he should just stay there and take his doctorate degree............but, he's kinda tired of going to school he says!

good deal then thanks many young people today think they should be able to move out from home and instantly have the same type lifestyle you provided them they tend to forget we all started out with a 1 or 2 bedroom apt an older car and a low paying job and after time we got a better job, then we bought a new car and now we have payments, then we marry and buy a starter home, then along come the kids and you move from the starter home when they get more of them kids and older 4-6 and buy a bigger home so the kids can have a yard and a good neighborhood so by the time the kids finish school and see us living in the nice old home with all their "normal lifestyle" and they now expect to be able to buy a house like we have and of course keep the car you own that you bought them for high school so they wouldn't wreck your car etc you know the rest

I have a step daughter that seems to have this idea she can graduate from a community college with a LPN degree and make as much as an RN she is nuts.....but she is "smarter" than I am yea right lol

#16 deltaj

deltaj

HadIt.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • 731 posts

Posted 28 November 2009 - 01:33 AM

STEVE & PAT

I think benefits for a school age child still in high school are paid after a veteran completes a Request for Approval of School Attendance form. This benefit is paid at a much higher rate than a child less than 18. The veteran who posted the original question needs to call V.A. about benefits for a school age child and obtain the proper form from V.A. for this. The issue here is just continuation of CHAMPVA benefits for the child beyond age 18 but its also increased compensation to the veteran for a school age child. The veteran can call CHAMPVA at 1-800-733-8387 about what proof of school attendance is needed to continue CHAMPVA benefits beyond age 18.

Edited by deltaj, 28 November 2009 - 01:35 AM.

#17 deltaj

deltaj

HadIt.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • 731 posts

Posted 28 November 2009 - 07:50 AM

If your son turns 18 in February V.A. will stop his payment. You need to call VARO and ask them to send you a Request for Approval of School Attendance Form so you can get benefits on this school age child beyond 18 until that school age child graduates from high school. Benefits for a school age child beyond age 18 are paid at a much higher rate than normal Additional Compensation for Dependents.

#18 Testvet

Testvet

HadIt.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • 2478 posts

Posted 28 November 2009 - 09:35 AM

If your son turns 18 in February V.A. will stop his payment. You need to call VARO and ask them to send you a Request for Approval of School Attendance Form so you can get benefits on this school age child beyond 18 until that school age child graduates from high school. Benefits for a school age child beyond age 18 are paid at a much higher rate than normal Additional Compensation for Dependents.

thank you I will Monday morning

#19 navydoc2

navydoc2

E-7 Chief Petty Officer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 28 November 2009 - 09:56 AM

Could this be something that is back dated? If a child has already graduated, but child turned 18 five months before graduation.

#20 Pete53

Pete53

• 21601 posts

Posted 28 November 2009 - 11:24 AM

navydoc

Yes

#21 Testvet

Testvet

HadIt.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • 2478 posts

Posted 28 November 2009 - 12:48 PM

navydoc

Yes

they don't pay benefits while the kids go to college do they? I am asking because because like I said my son graduates from high school and I think wants to move here and go to USC which is about 10 minutes from my home we have a pool house that he can use as a studio apt.

I know he can keep his CHAMPVA coverage as long as he is going to college but I don't know about things like college kids used to be able to keep their base ID cards until they graduate from college or maximum of age 26

|I know he can get Chapter 35 benefits for college but I don;t understand how summer school works if he goes does he keep getting paid or if he takes the summer off they stop the check from June - Sep? College here started at the end of August and ends in May. Does the VA pay their tuition on top of the monthly checks or are the college kids expected to pay for tuition, books and the rest of it from the checks they get monthly?

I know a lot of questions but this is a first for me I know when I went to school on the GI Bill the VA paid the tuition seperately from the checks they sent me every month how do they deal with that on Chapter 35 or do they? It's all greek to me thanks Mike

#22 Pete53

Pete53

• 21601 posts

Posted 28 November 2009 - 09:24 PM

Actually they can and it is a choice cause the Chapter 35 only pays for 44 months and not many finish school in less than 48 and some more.

#23 navydoc2

navydoc2

E-7 Chief Petty Officer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 28 November 2009 - 09:28 PM

They pay you 240 a month while they are in school, of course they have to verify that they are in school.

#24 Testvet

Testvet

HadIt.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • 2478 posts

Posted 28 November 2009 - 11:53 PM

They pay you 240 a month while they are in school, of course they have to verify that they are in school.

my sons girlfriend told me tonight he is thinking about going in the Army, I was hoping he would wait until after college he doesn't have to replay my mistakes I joined the Army and went to college after I got out and was working full time because I stayed in 9 years active duty, and when I got out in 82 I already had the 2 girls Kevin wasn't born until much later in life he is one of those so called desert storm babies my "little souvenoir" when I came home in May 1991 we went to Disneyworld and 9 months later here came Kevin Feb 92 I had the old GI Bill so they paid my tuition and I got a check for about 700 a month I worked nights and went to school during the days I was glad when I finished college though....

Thanks for the help

#25 deltaj

deltaj

HadIt.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • 731 posts

Posted 29 November 2009 - 12:05 AM

Could this be something that is back dated? If a child has already graduated, but child turned 18 five months before graduation.

Pete, Based on 38 CFR 3.667 (a) it would say that it is possible if a claim is received within one year of a child's 18th birthday.

#26 deltaj

deltaj

HadIt.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • 731 posts

Posted 29 November 2009 - 12:07 AM

Pete, Please see 38 CFR 3.667 (a) which states you must file your claim within one year of the child's 18th birthday. I think, however, that you should file it before entitlement ceases (i.e. befothe date the child graduates from high school.) In terms of checks for the minor child(ren) of a veteran after the child's 18th birthday, the benefit doesn't automatically continue. I seem to remember there's some sort of SSD form which has to be completed by the school or parent or both the school and parent to get the child's benefit continued. Call Social Security about this.

Edited by deltaj, 29 November 2009 - 07:51 AM.

#27 deltaj

deltaj

HadIt.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • 731 posts

Posted 29 November 2009 - 12:15 AM

Please see 38 CFR 3.667 (a) which states that a claim must be received within one year of the child's 18th birthday. The claim form as far as I know is a Request for Approval of School Attendance but discuss this with V.A. I don't recall whether part of this form has to be completed by the school. One caution on the form is that when V.A. states end of term I think they are talking about the end of the school year not the semester but talk to V.A. about this.

#28 deltaj

deltaj

HadIt.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • 731 posts

Posted 29 November 2009 - 12:26 AM

they don't pay benefits while the kids go to college do they? I am asking because because like I said my son graduates from high school and I think wants to move here and go to USC which is about 10 minutes from my home we have a pool house that he can use as a studio apt.

I know he can keep his CHAMPVA coverage as long as he is going to college but I don't know about things like college kids used to be able to keep their base ID cards until they graduate from college or maximum of age 26

|I know he can get Chapter 35 benefits for college but I don;t understand how summer school works if he goes does he keep getting paid or if he takes the summer off they stop the check from June - Sep? College here started at the end of August and ends in May. Does the VA pay their tuition on top of the monthly checks or are the college kids expected to pay for tuition, books and the rest of it from the checks they get monthly?

I know a lot of questions but this is a first for me I know when I went to school on the GI Bill the VA paid the tuition seperately from the checks they sent me every month how do they deal with that on Chapter 35 or do they? It's all greek to me thanks Mike

A veteran cannot receive Additional Compensation for Dependents on a school age child receiving chapter 35 and because of this, sometimes a veteran can get hit with an overpayment if V.A. has accidentally continued payments to the veteran for that school age child. Chapter 35 payments to the student stop when the student is not enrolled in college and V.A. always pays in June for college attendance in May, a month behind. As far as I know CHAMPVA is not continued for summer until after verification of enrollment is received from the college in the subsequent fall but this needs to be discussed with CHAMPVA at 1-800-733-8387. I suggest you have your talk to V.A. education at 1-888-GIBILL1 about how to obtain an advance payment to help cover books and tuitionon chapter 35, which is a benefits for dependents of permanently and totally service connected disabled veterans.

#29 LarryJ

LarryJ

Hadit.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • 3214 posts

Posted 29 November 2009 - 08:02 AM

Pete, Based on 38 CFR 3.667 (a) it would say that it is possible if a claim is received within one year of a child's 18th birthday.

My son was 25 when I was awarded 100% P&T. He filed for his chap 35 benefits at that time. They gave him a choice as to what date he wanted to be his "effective date", either his enrollment date, or the date that I was awarded 100% P&T (the date that he became eligibile for chap 35), or, the date of the letter informing him of his 45 months eligibility for the chap 35 bennys, or the date that I had FILED for TDIU.
It was confusing. I had to spend several hours with a caculator to determine which would be the best for him.

If he continues to attend classes during the summer, then the VA benefits office at USC will let the VA know and they will continue to pay thru out the summer, as is determined by his class load........is he taking enough to be considered "full"-time, etc.

Edited by LarryJ, 29 November 2009 - 08:06 AM.

#30 Pete53

Pete53

• 21601 posts

Posted 29 November 2009 - 11:41 AM

Thanks Delta I guess it may have been different in the 90's