Fire Courage

E-5 Petty Officer 2nd Class

• First Class Petty Officer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • Service Connected Disability: 80%
  • Branch of Service: USN

Posted 18 December 2009 - 09:39 PM

Just curious if anyone has had elevated liver enzymes. Mines have been elevated since I've been going to the VAMC back in 1996. I filed a claim on undiagnosed illness for it but of course it was denied. They've tested me for everything! They have ruled out everything it could possibly be and finally gave it a name. They are now calling it non-alcoholic steatohepatitis of the liver. I've had a liver biopsy at the VAMC and it showed fatty deposits. I have never been a big drinker; just an occassional beer every now and again.

Has anyone had elevated liver enzymes and were you able to connect it to service?

Edited by Fire Courage, 18 December 2009 - 11:17 PM.

#2 yelloownumber5

yelloownumber5

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  • Service Connected Disability: 50%

Posted 19 December 2009 - 02:17 AM

Have they checked your thyroid?

TSH tests are normally what they do but you should see an Endo doc if you have hypothyroid symptoms and for more testing. http://www.nlm.nih.g...icle/000353.htm
your TSH tests can come back normal like mine have for years. If you have many symptoms of hypothyroid keep telling your doctor hopefully even if the tests are "normal" they will get you to an Endo for much more testing....if that is the problem. It is just very much overlooked.

I wouldn't accept the easy answer of "fatty liver". I hope you look into it.
For your claim I cannot help ya with that.

On the side note many PGW Vets have thyroid problems. Lots of neurotoxins there and as well with our fake food and substitutes.

Just curious if anyone has had elevated liver enzymes. Mines have been elevated since I've been going to the VAMC back in 1996. I filed a claim on undiagnosed illness for it but of course it was denied. They've tested me for everything! They have ruled out everything it could possibly be and finally gave it a name. They are now calling it non-alcoholic steatohepatitis of the liver. I've had a liver biopsy at the VAMC and it showed fatty deposits. I have never been a big drinker; just an occassional beer every now and again.

Has anyone had elevated liver enzymes and were you able to connect it to service?

Edited by yelloownumber5, 19 December 2009 - 02:19 AM.

#3 Pete53

Pete53

Moderator/HadIt.com Elder

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21601 posts
  • Interests:My Family
  • Service Connected Disability: 100%
  • Branch of Service: USA

Posted 19 December 2009 - 08:45 AM

Fire Courage:

Do you drink? Elevated SCOT test usually indicate liver damage. No matter what the cause you need to stop drinking till you get a plan of action.

Good Luck

#4 VetsLady

VetsLady

• Chief Petty Officers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts
  • Service Connected Disability: 100+
  • Branch of Service: USMC

Posted 19 December 2009 - 01:27 PM

Fire Courage....

The "itis" means inflammation.....the "stea" is pertaining to fat deposits in the liver.

If you are diabetic, it can cause fatty liver which could elevate your enzymes....Hepatitis will also, certainly they did check for Hepatitis.

You would have to have a "diagnosis" for sc.....fatty liver can be residuals from a few different things.

If you do a google search for gastro disease or fatty liver, it should bring up some articles for you to review.

As yellownumber mentions, you should look into it....maybe it is thyroid related. Best bet, do a little research and see you doctor.

Good luck to you.

Did a quick google serach......for "Fatty Liver and elevated liver enzymes" - came up with this.....

Nonalcoholic steatohepatitis or NASH is a common, often “silent” liver disease. It resembles alcoholic liver disease, but occurs in people who drink little or no alcohol. The major feature in NASH is fat in the liver, along with inflammation and damage. Most people with NASH feel well and are not aware that they have a liver problem. Nevertheless, NASH can be severe and can lead to cirrhosis, in which the liver is permanently damaged and scarred and no longer able to work properly.

NASH affects 2 to 5 percent of Americans. An additional 10 to 20 percent of Americans have fat in their liver, but no inflammation or liver damage, a condition called “fatty liver.” Although having fat in the liver is not normal, by itself it probably causes little harm or permanent damage. If fat is suspected based on blood test results or scans of the liver, this problem is called nonalcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD). If a liver biopsy is performed in this case, it will show that some people have NASH while others have simple fatty liver.

Both NASH and NAFLD are becoming more common, possibly because of the greater number of Americans with obesity. In the past 10 years, the rate of obesity has doubled in adults and tripled in children. Obesity also contributes to diabetes and high blood cholesterol, which can further complicate the health of someone with NASH. Diabetes and high blood cholesterol are also becoming more common among Americans.

I'm not a doctor, you should check with your own physician about this.

Edited by VetsLady, 19 December 2009 - 01:29 PM.

#5 Fire Courage

Fire Courage

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 19 December 2009 - 03:31 PM

Fire Courage:

Do you drink? Elevated SCOT test usually indicate liver damage. No matter what the cause you need to stop drinking till you get a plan of action.

Good Luck

Pete,

Thanks for the response. As stated before, just an ocassional beer every now and again. Which is about a beer every few weeks sometimes longer. I know sailors have been known to drink till they drop, but I have never been a big drinker.

#6 Fire Courage

Fire Courage

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 19 December 2009 - 03:57 PM

Thanks for the response and the info. I'm aware of what NASH is and have been seen in the GI Clinic for some time now(Since 1996). I've gotten lots of info about it from the doctors as well as google searches. Yes, they have ruled out hepatitus and many others. I'm also not a diabetic, although my mom, and grandmother had it and my sister now has it. I'm going to look into possible thyroids though. Thanks yellownumber for that info.

The main reason for my post was to see if anyone else had NASH and was able to connect it to service. I have been searching the net for cases and found one but it was connected secondary to service-connected diabetes mellitus.

Here is the link. http://www4.va.gov/v...les/0320760.txt

Thank God I don't have diabetes and pray I don't get it. But, it may be in my future....

Fire Courage....

The "itis" means inflammation.....the "stea" is pertaining to fat deposits in the liver.

If you are diabetic, it can cause fatty liver which could elevate your enzymes....Hepatitis will also, certainly they did check for Hepatitis.

You would have to have a "diagnosis" for sc.....fatty liver can be residuals from a few different things.

If you do a google search for gastro disease or fatty liver, it should bring up some articles for you to review.

As yellownumber mentions, you should look into it....maybe it is thyroid related. Best bet, do a little research and see you doctor.

Good luck to you.

Did a quick google serach......for "Fatty Liver and elevated liver enzymes" - came up with this.....

Nonalcoholic steatohepatitis or NASH is a common, often "silent" liver disease. It resembles alcoholic liver disease, but occurs in people who drink little or no alcohol. The major feature in NASH is fat in the liver, along with inflammation and damage. Most people with NASH feel well and are not aware that they have a liver problem. Nevertheless, NASH can be severe and can lead to cirrhosis, in which the liver is permanently damaged and scarred and no longer able to work properly.

NASH affects 2 to 5 percent of Americans. An additional 10 to 20 percent of Americans have fat in their liver, but no inflammation or liver damage, a condition called "fatty liver." Although having fat in the liver is not normal, by itself it probably causes little harm or permanent damage. If fat is suspected based on blood test results or scans of the liver, this problem is called nonalcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD). If a liver biopsy is performed in this case, it will show that some people have NASH while others have simple fatty liver.

Both NASH and NAFLD are becoming more common, possibly because of the greater number of Americans with obesity. In the past 10 years, the rate of obesity has doubled in adults and tripled in children. Obesity also contributes to diabetes and high blood cholesterol, which can further complicate the health of someone with NASH. Diabetes and high blood cholesterol are also becoming more common among Americans.

I'm not a doctor, you should check with your own physician about this.

Edited by Fire Courage, 19 December 2009 - 04:00 PM.

#7 VetsLady

VetsLady

• Chief Petty Officers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts
  • Service Connected Disability: 100+
  • Branch of Service: USMC

Posted 19 December 2009 - 06:33 PM

Fire Courage....

Yes, you did mention having dealt with this since '95.

Thanks for the link, I'm going to take a look at it, my husband is sc for DM2 due to AO exposure and does have fatty liver, plus.

Keep us posted on what you find out.....ok?

Thank you.

#8 alphahec

alphahec

E-4 Petty Officer 3rd Class

• Second Class Petty Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • Service Connected Disability: 60%

Posted 19 December 2009 - 07:10 PM

I also have had elevated liver enzymes, since I started taking all the meds they give me at the VA; so check if it is secondary from any medications you are taking.

#9 Fire Courage

Fire Courage

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 19 December 2009 - 09:06 PM

Roger that Vetslady. I'll keep you informed. Thanks

Fire Courage....

Yes, you did mention having dealt with this since '95.

Thanks for the link, I'm going to take a look at it, my husband is sc for DM2 due to AO exposure and does have fatty liver, plus.

Keep us posted on what you find out.....ok?

Thank you.

#10 Fire Courage

Fire Courage

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 19 December 2009 - 09:09 PM

Alphahec,

If you don't mind sharing the info, what kind of meds made your liver enzymes elevate? Did a doctor say that is what cause them to elevate?

I also have had elevated liver enzymes, since I started taking all the meds they give me at the VA; so check if it is secondary from any medications you are taking.

#11 alphahec

alphahec

E-4 Petty Officer 3rd Class

• Second Class Petty Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 20 December 2009 - 07:27 AM

Yeah, he was worried the cholesterol pills might have been doing some damage.

#12 agentx

agentx

E-2 Recruit

• New User Review
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Branch of Service: Army

Posted 04 May 2011 - 09:20 PM

I have elevated enzymes. The VA came back and asked me to tel them what disability condition I am claiming :-(

I have something noted in my active duty record by an Army doctor that says that one Army Doctor prescribed me one medication that risked liver damage at the same time another Army Doctor prescribed me colestrol medicine that could cause liver damage without checking the records and this caused the condition. I have no idea how to claim that. Can anyone help?

#13 Berta

Berta

HadIt.com Elder/SVR Radio Panelist

• SVR
  • 28050 posts
  • Interests:tactical warfare student- AMU
    gardening
    fishing
    Oriental home design
    organic cleaning tips
    Capt Adoph Von Shell-interested in any info at all!
    German Commander (WWI)lectured to the US Army after the war on warfare-- PTSD - tactics etc-and Leadership
    The Pullers-Chesty and Lewis (USMC)
    chocolate brownies
    anything at all regarding Vietnam
    the failure of the Maginot Line (WWII)
    Trench warfare
    anything amphibious

Led Zepplin, Bob Dylan, Sting, Al Green, Mozart, Classical guitar,Moog synthesizer, Eminem,Janis Joplin,
    Michael Jackson, Teddy Pendergast, Mongo Santamaria,
    Cal Tjader, Miles Davis, AmerIndian battle chants,
    Hendrix,etc etc etc
    Pho and nuc mam dinners
  • Service Connected Disability: widow of 2 vets, 2 HD each and mother of USAF vet-my daughter

Posted 06 May 2011 - 05:47 AM

The VA needs to have a current documented disability in order to see if it is service connectable.

Do you have any current diagonosed disablity that could possibly be due to elevated liver enzymes?

I studied this type of blood work result for my past claim.

“Elevated liver enzymes may indicate inflammation or damage to cells in the liver. Inflamed or injured liver cells leak higher than normal amounts of certain chemicals, including liver enzymes, into the bloodstream, which can result in elevated liver enzymes on blood tests.
The specific elevated liver enzymes most commonly found are:
Alanine transaminase (ALT)
Aspartate transaminase (AST)
Elevated liver enzymes may be discovered during routine blood testing. In most cases, liver enzyme levels are only mildly and temporarily elevated. Most of the time, elevated liver enzymes don't signal a chronic, serious liver problem.”
http://www.mayoclini...enzymes/MY00508

--------------------------------------------

BTW-ALT used to be referred to as SGPT (serum glutamic pyruvic transaminase )
and AST used to be SGOT (Serum glutamic oxaloacetic transaminase )
in VA blood work results many years ago.

ALT aspartate aminotransferase
AST aspartate aminotransferase)

There is some association of high AST/ALT levels in undiagnosed and untreated DMII.

I used documentation of that for my DMII claim.

There could be many reason for these high readings and as Mayo says this could be temporary situation and certainly meds might have caused the elevated reading.

Maybe this will help someone- I went over every single blood work test result VA gave my husband and did extensive research to understand what each test value meant.(as well as every single entry in his med recs.That was very hard to do in the pre internet days for my older claims but it sure helped me for my more recent claim because by 2003 I knew the real reason for his demise and the blood work results supported my claim in many ways.

By then VA had stopped using the initials SGPT and SGOT for ALT and AST in blood-chem results but that involved some time for me to clarify that.

Edited by Berta, 06 May 2011 - 05:51 AM.

#14 stormvet

stormvet

E-3 Seaman

• Seaman
  • PipPipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Service Connected Disability: 0

Posted 06 May 2011 - 11:54 AM

It is curious the cholestrol drugs cause this and the VA is quick to put people on them. My cholesrtol was in good shape but triglicerides were a little high so they put me on the cholestral drug. After reading this and looking at research I don't know if I should take that med. I have enough problems as it is. If this could cause liver problems I don't need another problem.

Has this fatty liver shown up in alot of Vets????? That would be interesting to know since NASH only occurs in 2 to 5% of the common population.

#15 rdawg

rdawg

E-7 Chief Petty Officer

• Senior Chief Petty Officer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts
  • Service Connected Disability: 70%
  • Branch of Service: usaf

Posted 06 May 2011 - 01:00 PM

are/were you a mechanic? I had elevated enzymes for years. I quit drinking completely even though the doc said it was not from that. I figured better safe than sorry. went thru the liver biopsy, the whole nine yards. no diagnosis. my private gastro guy told me to lose 20 lbs. I never did lose the weight (he threatened to wire my jaw shut) but after about three years of not being a mechanic they went back down. I think it was the toxic chemicals - benzene, trichloroethylene, zinc chromate, chromium, solvents that I was exposed to as a mechanic.

#16 retiredat44

retiredat44

E-8 Senior Chief Petty Officer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 761 posts
  • Interests:Not able to pursue many interests at this time. My health prevents me from doing much. I wish I could go back to hiking, photography, etc..
  • Branch of Service: USAF

Posted 06 May 2011 - 04:56 PM

mine have, and am in the process of having them service connected,, my liver had problems along with my pancreas disease
I am currently a regualr GI clinic patient, but hav been with the liver clinic too...
at one point they were going to attach a drain tube surgically, but when the levels dropped they decided not to implant a drain tube..

mine was from chemical exposure

Edited by retiredat44, 06 May 2011 - 04:56 PM.

#17 hawkfire27

hawkfire27

• Chief Petty Officers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 244 posts
  • Service Connected Disability: 160%

Posted 06 May 2011 - 07:43 PM

It is weird that they put you on a cholestrol med, when you had high triglycerides, and the simvastatin they put my husband on hasn't touched the triglyceride levels.

Before not taking it I would get a copy of your lab records, and see if the triglyceride levels have changed at all.

Also, for everyone who is taking these medications the VA is required to perform 3 monthly labs to check your liver enzyme readings.

It is curious the cholestrol drugs cause this and the VA is quick to put people on them. My cholesrtol was in good shape but triglicerides were a little high so they put me on the cholestral drug. After reading this and looking at research I don't know if I should take that med. I have enough problems as it is. If this could cause liver problems I don't need another problem.

Has this fatty liver shown up in alot of Vets????? That would be interesting to know since NASH only occurs in 2 to 5% of the common population.

#18 Fire Courage

Fire Courage

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 07:56 PM

mine have, and am in the process of having them service connected,, my liver had problems along with my pancreas disease
I am currently a regualr GI clinic patient, but hav been with the liver clinic too...
at one point they were going to attach a drain tube surgically, but when the levels dropped they decided not to implant a drain tube..

mine was from chemical exposure

I know this is an old post but how did you come out on your claim with the elevated liver enzymes?

#19 justrluk

justrluk

E-8 Senior Chief Petty Officer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 743 posts
  • Interests:My family, gardening, cooking, Sci-fi, techno-geek
  • Service Connected Disability: 90%

Posted 10 April 2012 - 01:43 PM

I've just been diagnosed with this. High triglycerides (650+) and poor cholesterol since having colon removed. Can't tolerate any statins, so I'll be curious to see how this will turn out.

#20 vetswifeIndy

vetswifeIndy

E-3 Seaman

• Third Class Petty Officers
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Interests:God, my wife and adopted 4yr. old little boy. Trying to stay healthy and live as long as I can to raise this little boy.
  • Branch of Service: army

Posted 26 September 2012 - 01:52 PM

I've been reading these post, hope everyone is doing well. My husband had an ultrasound done today due to having elevated liver test results. It showed fatty patches.
I have done some research and fo und a med he is on for his AF called (Amiodarone) can cause liver disease. He has also been on cholesterol meds for years. Is anyone else taking Amiodarone? Wondering how we go about connecting this as a secondary to caused by meds?

Thanks so much for your service,
VetswifeIndy

#21 Pete53

Pete53

Moderator/HadIt.com Elder

• 21601 posts
  • Interests:My Family

Posted 27 September 2012 - 06:17 AM

Does you husband drink? There are other reasons but the most common one is to much drinking. The good thing is that if it is caused by drinking than stopping will help. As far as a link to statin medication I have been taking them since 1995 and no problems with liver but I also know that the chemical cocktails affect people in different ways.

Whatever is causing it needs to be found out as soon as you can.

#22 Berta

Berta

HadIt.com Elder/SVR Radio Panelist

• SVR
  • 28050 posts
  • Interests:tactical warfare student- AMU
    gardening
    fishing
    Oriental home design
    organic cleaning tips
    Capt Adoph Von Shell-interested in any info at all!
    German Commander (WWI)lectured to the US Army after the war on warfare-- PTSD - tactics etc-and Leadership
    The Pullers-Chesty and Lewis (USMC)
    chocolate brownies
    anything at all regarding Vietnam
    the failure of the Maginot Line (WWII)
    Trench warfare
    anything amphibious

Led Zepplin, Bob Dylan, Sting, Al Green, Mozart, Classical guitar,Moog synthesizer, Eminem,Janis Joplin,
    Michael Jackson, Teddy Pendergast, Mongo Santamaria,
    Cal Tjader, Miles Davis, AmerIndian battle chants,
    Hendrix,etc etc etc
    Pho and nuc mam dinners
  • Service Connected Disability: widow of 2 vets, 2 HD each and mother of USAF vet-my daughter

Posted 27 September 2012 - 06:34 AM

"Wondering how we go about connecting this as a secondary to caused by meds?"

If you believe the connection is due to a med he takes for any SC disability, he can file a claim for this as a secondary condition... if this in fact has caused him liver disease at a ratable level.

He will need ,my opinion, a strong IMO that supports the link and that rules out any other etiology.

He could even file a Section 1151 claim as well -but the VA would only award on one of the claims,if his claims are successful.

Statins meds and countless other meds can have significant side affects and cause further problems.

It is good that you are willing to research his meds. But it will take a doctor's opinion to support the nexus.

When you review his meds, see if any are contraindicated by other types of his meds, too.

Pete is right. At this point it is a symptom. The cauedse of the liver disease needs to be determined first and then he can adequately prepare a claim.

#23 vetswifeIndy

vetswifeIndy

E-3 Seaman

• Third Class Petty Officers
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Interests:God, my wife and adopted 4yr. old little boy. Trying to stay healthy and live as long as I can to raise this little boy.
  • Branch of Service: army

Posted 27 September 2012 - 10:55 AM

Pete, "Does your husband drink"? No, he has never been a drinker of alcohol.

Berta: The med he takes for his SC heart condition is Amiodarone. I researched it yesterday and it does have side affects to scarring of the liver which I believe is called NASH.

We have a cardio appt. on the 2nd. I will have plenty of questions for the doc on that day.

Will post what we find out.

I want to say what a blessing it is to be on this site, and have people with your knowledge that is willing to share with others.
I know there must be hours upon hours of researching done to gain this knowledge. Thanks to everyone who shares!

VetswifeIndy

#24 BakerGeckos

BakerGeckos

E-3 Seaman

• Seaman
  • PipPipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 10:31 AM

So I got the reverse of this I have a SC 0% Liver disease which has been called both NAFLD/NASH I have had two biopsy's of the liver one showed Fatty Liver with fibrosis and the other just Fatty Liver. Now The question comes after fighting for years with trying to keep Diabetes under control. I have learned that this may have played a factor in Diabetes does anyone have case evidence I can use that shows NASH/NAFLD can cause Diabetes. I have requested a Eddo consult at the VA to see if I can get a nexus letter for linking DMII to NASH...Just trying to see if there is case law/studies I can link to...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users