Search

Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  carlie : (28 October 2014 - 03:42 PM) Reelnrod - Just Pick A Topic That Corresponds To Your Stuff And Post It
@  reelnrod : (28 October 2014 - 10:11 AM) So, How Do I Post A Topic?
@  Thadine : (28 October 2014 - 08:21 AM) Irrrl
@  Thadine : (28 October 2014 - 08:18 AM) Fishing License
@  Thadine : (28 October 2014 - 08:14 AM) Thadine Quick
@  red : (27 October 2014 - 12:14 PM) Anyone Heard Any Updates On Flying Space A For 100% Disabled Vets?
@  maxwell18 : (27 October 2014 - 10:49 AM) I Did Contact My Congressman Jeff Miller, Let's See What Will Happen
@  maxwell18 : (27 October 2014 - 10:48 AM) @britton
@  Tbird : (27 October 2014 - 04:26 AM) Thank You Larry S For Your Contribution To Our Funding Campaign
@  britton : (26 October 2014 - 07:33 PM) Everyone (Veteran's) Should Recive A Memo From The Dept Of Veterans Affairs ****notification Of Medication Scheduling Change****
@  britton : (26 October 2014 - 07:24 PM) Meds That Are Consider To Be Schedule Ii Narcotic...pain Meds Like Hydrocodone Ectt Ect,,
@  britton : (26 October 2014 - 07:22 PM) As I Understand We Only Can See The Va Dr's Every 28 Days To Renew Our Prescription Meds A New Law Went Into Effect Oct 6Th 2014....i Only See Problems Problems Problems With This...grrrrr
@  maxwell18 : (26 October 2014 - 03:52 PM) This Is Maxwell18 Would The Person Who Contacted Me (Vern2) Please Contact Me Again, I Attemped To E Mail You It Returned No Reply. Thanks
@  Tbird : (26 October 2014 - 05:12 AM) Thank You Maxwell18 For Your Contribution To Our Funding Campaign.
@  Notorious Kelly : (25 October 2014 - 07:53 PM) Max- Contact Your Congressman- Dea Has Got Docs So Cowed They're Afraid To Dispense Tylenol
@  maxwell18 : (25 October 2014 - 07:10 PM) Anybody Having Problems Getting Pain Pills (Norco) Filled Us Navy Base (Nas Whiting Fld Milton Fl). Had A Prescription For 90 Norco Pills For 30 Days, 3 A Day For Pain, Got 30 For 30 Days. That Will Last Me 10 Days. Another Thing That Our Government Is Screwing With Us. I Don't Know What To Do, Don't Want To To The Va, Don't Know What They Will Either. Anybody Goy Any Ideas. 
@  Burt : (25 October 2014 - 10:28 AM) Does Anyone Else Here Wear A Don Joy Armor Knee Brace From The Va?
@  red : (24 October 2014 - 10:10 AM) Any News On Space A Flying?
@  Tbird : (23 October 2014 - 05:07 PM) Correction Jan 20. 2015 Will Be Hadit.com's 18 Year Anniversary
@  Tbird : (23 October 2014 - 11:38 AM) Jan 20, 2015 Will Be Hadit.com's 19 Year Anniversary, That's Amazing.

Photo
- - - - -

Question About Cholesterol And Heart Conditions

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

#1 Shalia

Shalia

E-3 Seaman

• Seaman
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 11:49 AM

I have a question on behalf of my boyfriend.

When he was in the Army 15 years or so ago, he was diagnosed with high cholesterol, and given a minimum dose of a statin. When he got out, he was told cholesterol was hereditary and he didn't qualify for VA compensation.

Since then, however, he's had two heart attacks, and the doctors have told him that inadequate treatment of his cholesterol problem when it was found are likely responsible. I'm trying to find out if that would qualify him for VA benefits or not? Is there a way to find out? You guys are always so smart here I figured I'd ask. =)

Thanks!

Shalia

#2 jerrbilly

jerrbilly

E-6 Petty Officer 1st Class

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 12:18 PM

The VA is partly wrong on this. I have high cholesterol due to meds I take for my service connected condition. I made sure my doctor documented this in my records in case I have a heart attach or develop cardiovascular disease. I found out the VA will not service connect just for high cholesterol but will for conditions caused by high lipids.

In his case, if he has in his records somewhere that his parents have high cholesterol he won't get service connected since it would be hereditary in his situation. If he had another condition at the time of diagnosis of high lipids and you suspect this might have been causing the high lipid condition then you might have a case. In all general sense though, If you don't have an underlying condition that's causing the high lipids then it's a long shot at best.

Hope this helps,

Jerr

I have a question on behalf of my boyfriend.

When he was in the Army 15 years or so ago, he was diagnosed with high cholesterol, and given a minimum dose of a statin. When he got out, he was told cholesterol was hereditary and he didn't qualify for VA compensation.

Since then, however, he's had two heart attacks, and the doctors have told him that inadequate treatment of his cholesterol problem when it was found are likely responsible. I'm trying to find out if that would qualify him for VA benefits or not? Is there a way to find out? You guys are always so smart here I figured I'd ask. =)

Thanks!

Shalia

#3 Shalia

Shalia

E-3 Seaman

• Seaman
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 12:53 PM

Well, if it's not medication related (and it isn't), is there a way to prove that inadequate care of a genetic condition while in resulted in major issues later? His cholesterol when tested was over 400. They gave him the minimum dose of a statin drug, and sent him to Desert Storm. Had he been adequately taken care of at the time, the heart attacks might not have happened. Or at least not when still in his 20's.

Thanks again for any clarification. He's trying to figure out if he should try and apply or not.

#4 jerrbilly

jerrbilly

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 02:07 PM

Straight up, if you think you need to file, file but this is going to be hard claim to win if you're claiming it was due to inadequate care.

You will have to get a professional opinion stating that the inadequate care (minimum dose of statin) led to later heart attacks (complications)

What did they say caused the heart attacks?

Jerr

Well, if it's not medication related (and it isn't), is there a way to prove that inadequate care of a genetic condition while in resulted in major issues later? His cholesterol when tested was over 400. They gave him the minimum dose of a statin drug, and sent him to Desert Storm. Had he been adequately taken care of at the time, the heart attacks might not have happened. Or at least not when still in his 20's.

Thanks again for any clarification. He's trying to figure out if he should try and apply or not.

#5 Shalia

Shalia

E-3 Seaman

• Seaman
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 03:34 PM

Straight up, if you think you need to file, file but this is going to be hard claim to win if you're claiming it was due to inadequate care.

You will have to get a professional opinion stating that the inadequate care (minimum dose of statin) led to later heart attacks (complications)

What did they say caused the heart attacks?

Jerr

Exactly that... inadequate care of cholesterol at the time. They said he was a ticking time bomb. =/

Thanks!

#6 jerrbilly

jerrbilly

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 04:10 PM

Well, the thing is when I started on Pravastatin they gave me a very small dose because of the possible side-effects. Then, after about three months, I was boosted up to normal dosage.

You will have to prove to the VA that his heart complications wouldn't have occured with proper dosage. This will be hard to do since his condition was genetic.

This is a hard case. I'm not telling you to not file but this will be a long shot.

Jerr

Exactly that... inadequate care of cholesterol at the time. They said he was a ticking time bomb. =/

Thanks!

#7 john999

john999

HadIt.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22267 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 04:38 PM

Did your boy friend continue to take statins after he was diagnosed? You know if you are diagnosed with something like high blood pressure and then are SC'ed for heart disease the VA will resiste making the high blood pressure SC because it was found before the heart disease. This is their mindset so imagine how they will gook at you trying to prove heart attacks happened because a vet was diagnosed 15 years ago with high cholesterol. If he had chest pains or some other cardiovascular condition while he was in service that would be another matter.

#8 poolguy11550

poolguy11550

HadIt.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 10:26 PM

1. Inadequate treatment while in-service would most likely fall under the Feres doctrine. This means that your SOL towards a claim.

2. High cholesterol is not a medical condition. Truth be told, nobody understands the relationship of high cholesterol and heart disease. Statics show a link between high cholesterol and certain conditions related to heart disease. The Same is true for HIV and AIDS, statics show a link but science has yet to prove the relationship. There are accepted theories, but unproven none-the-less.

So, I can tell you now, that VA's stance toward this claim will be that high cholesterol is not a medical condition and heart disease can even occur in people with normal cholesterol.

I agree with John, what other symptoms of possible heart disease my have been noted during service? You have to connect the high cholesterol to other possible symptoms and you may prove that the objective test for heart disease was the blood test showing high cholesterol supported by the subjected complaints- if documented.

As a sort-of well known fact, most Americans are at one stage or anther in the development of heart disease by time they are in their 20's.

#9 jbasser

jbasser

Moderator/HadIt.com Elder/SVR Radio Panelist

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6262 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 10:44 PM

get your boyfriends service medical records and look at his BP readings in service. If they are high then you can connect the dots from that. ALso get his other medical information, especially during his first year post service. If the BP readings were hifh then is falls under presumptive if the systolic is 160 or higher or diastolic is 100 or higher. (In order to be presumptive it must be compensable according to the regulations).

J

#10 jerrbilly

jerrbilly

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 09:42 AM

I think High Cholesterol is a medical condition. I take medication to lower my bad cholesterol. Anything you have to be treated for is considered a medical condition.

Its not considered a "disabling" medical condition (on its own) and this would be the reason the VA doesn't compensate for it.

Jerr

1. High cholesterol is not a medical condition. Truth be told, nobody understands the relationship of high cholesterol and heart disease. Statics show a link between high cholesterol and certain conditions related to heart disease. The Same is true for HIV and AIDS, statics show a link but science has yet to prove the relationship. There are accepted theories, but unproven none-the-less.

#11 Shalia

Shalia

E-3 Seaman

• Seaman
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 10:08 AM

get your boyfriends service medical records and look at his BP readings in service. If they are high then you can connect the dots from that. ALso get his other medical information, especially during his first year post service. If the BP readings were hifh then is falls under presumptive if the systolic is 160 or higher or diastolic is 100 or higher. (In order to be presumptive it must be compensable according to the regulations).

J

Wait, so high blood pressure is compensatable, but high cholesterol is not? Huh... I'll get him to get the records for that. His blood pressure is sky high now, not sure how it was 15 years ago though. Thanks for the tip!

As to the other questions, he's been on a statin since he was told his cholesterol was high. Taken like prescribed.

#12 john999

john999

HadIt.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22267 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 01:09 PM

I agree that if your boy friend had HBP readings in service this might be the place to start. HBP is compensable and also can be shown to lead to heart disease and other cardiovascular problems like stroke. The SMR's are what you must mine to find something to go on to get SC'ed for the current problems. The more time passes between discharge and a claim the harder it gets.

My brother has high cholesterol and it has been under control for about 20 years. So far he is ok. I have high cholesterol and mine in controlled but I still developed CAD due to DMII. Now I also take blood pressure meds. At present I have lived about 15 years longer than my father who died from heart disease (WWII vet who smoked and had no idea about cholesterol). If your boy friend smokes that is a deadly combination with high cholesterol and HBP. I am sure with his heart problems he does not smoke, but that is a warning to others.

#13 jerrbilly

jerrbilly

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 01:20 PM

I got this from another post:

Hypertensive vascular disease (hypertension and isolated systolic

hypertension):

Diastolic pressure predominantly 130 or more............................................................. 60

Diastolic pressure predominantly 120 or more............................................................. 40

Diastolic pressure predominantly 110 or more, or; systolic pressure

predominantly 200 or more............................................................................
....... 20

Diastolic pressure predominantly 100 or more, or; systolic pressure

predominantly 160 or more, or; minimum evaluation for an

individual with a history of diastolic pressure predominantly 100

or more who requires continuous medication for control......................................... 10

Wait, so high blood pressure is compensatable, but high cholesterol is not? Huh... I'll get him to get the records for that. His blood pressure is sky high now, not sure how it was 15 years ago though. Thanks for the tip!

As to the other questions, he's been on a statin since he was told his cholesterol was high. Taken like prescribed.