Search

Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  chuck57thSig : (30 October 2014 - 05:51 PM) Sarti07, It's Under (Va Claims And Research) Http://www.hadit.com/forums/topic/59064-Prep-For-Decision-Phaseprovisional-Rating/
@  sarti07 : (30 October 2014 - 02:43 PM) Hello, I Just Posted A Topic About Prep For Decision.. I Have No Idea Where To Find It! Lol
@  carlie : (28 October 2014 - 03:42 PM) Reelnrod - Just Pick A Topic That Corresponds To Your Stuff And Post It
@  reelnrod : (28 October 2014 - 10:11 AM) So, How Do I Post A Topic?
@  Thadine : (28 October 2014 - 08:21 AM) Irrrl
@  Thadine : (28 October 2014 - 08:18 AM) Fishing License
@  Thadine : (28 October 2014 - 08:14 AM) Thadine Quick
@  red : (27 October 2014 - 12:14 PM) Anyone Heard Any Updates On Flying Space A For 100% Disabled Vets?
@  maxwell18 : (27 October 2014 - 10:49 AM) I Did Contact My Congressman Jeff Miller, Let's See What Will Happen
@  maxwell18 : (27 October 2014 - 10:48 AM) @britton
@  Tbird : (27 October 2014 - 04:26 AM) Thank You Larry S For Your Contribution To Our Funding Campaign
@  britton : (26 October 2014 - 07:33 PM) Everyone (Veteran's) Should Recive A Memo From The Dept Of Veterans Affairs ****notification Of Medication Scheduling Change****
@  britton : (26 October 2014 - 07:24 PM) Meds That Are Consider To Be Schedule Ii Narcotic...pain Meds Like Hydrocodone Ectt Ect,,
@  britton : (26 October 2014 - 07:22 PM) As I Understand We Only Can See The Va Dr's Every 28 Days To Renew Our Prescription Meds A New Law Went Into Effect Oct 6Th 2014....i Only See Problems Problems Problems With This...grrrrr
@  maxwell18 : (26 October 2014 - 03:52 PM) This Is Maxwell18 Would The Person Who Contacted Me (Vern2) Please Contact Me Again, I Attemped To E Mail You It Returned No Reply. Thanks
@  Tbird : (26 October 2014 - 05:12 AM) Thank You Maxwell18 For Your Contribution To Our Funding Campaign.
@  Notorious Kelly : (25 October 2014 - 07:53 PM) Max- Contact Your Congressman- Dea Has Got Docs So Cowed They're Afraid To Dispense Tylenol
@  maxwell18 : (25 October 2014 - 07:10 PM) Anybody Having Problems Getting Pain Pills (Norco) Filled Us Navy Base (Nas Whiting Fld Milton Fl). Had A Prescription For 90 Norco Pills For 30 Days, 3 A Day For Pain, Got 30 For 30 Days. That Will Last Me 10 Days. Another Thing That Our Government Is Screwing With Us. I Don't Know What To Do, Don't Want To To The Va, Don't Know What They Will Either. Anybody Goy Any Ideas. 
@  Burt : (25 October 2014 - 10:28 AM) Does Anyone Else Here Wear A Don Joy Armor Knee Brace From The Va?
@  red : (24 October 2014 - 10:10 AM) Any News On Space A Flying?

Photo

Is The Dav There To Help Veterans Or The Va?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
20 replies to this topic

#1 masters101

masters101

E-3 Seaman

• Third Class Petty Officers
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 08:07 PM

I have a simple question and would really appreciate some other veterans thoughts on this matter. Does the DAV work for the Veterans or the VA?

#2 LarryJ

LarryJ

Hadit.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3214 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 08:44 PM

I have a simple question and would really appreciate some other veterans thoughts on this matter. Does the DAV work for the Veterans or the VA?

I am sure that you can, by the way that your post is worded, get some people to unload on the DAV.

But, that's not the purpose of the hadit board.

If, on the other hand, you are really serious, then I'd have to say that the DAV is one of our country's oldest Veterans Service Organizations, and, as such, has been a good advocate for the veterans.

#3 Pete53

Pete53

Moderator/HadIt.com Elder

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21877 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 02:45 AM

I think that the VA uses the DAV to maintain the fiction it has that it is here to help Veterans. Many VSO's are good and can help a Veteran file a claim but after that the Veteran unfortunately is on their own to win the claim.

There are not enough VSO's to handle the claims the VA has open in my opinion. Its really up to the Veteran to interview and select a VSO that they can have confidence in cause the DAV is not responsible for a single claim and that is the rub.

#4 raytaylor

raytaylor

E-3 Seaman

• Seaman
  • PipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 05:25 AM

:D

ihad too do all the leg work on my claims4rys and many many hours on pc and hacit was the best help,u can get annswers here. wish u luck p.s but dav will take all the credit and want u too take and join there club$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$4for life.

#5 Vync

Vync

E-9 Master Chief Petty Officer

• Master Chief Petty Officer
  • 1650 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 06:07 AM

I think that the VA uses the DAV to maintain the fiction it has that it is here to help Veterans. Many VSO's are good and can help a Veteran file a claim but after that the Veteran unfortunately is on their own to win the claim.

This has been my experience too.

#6 alphahec

alphahec

E-4 Petty Officer 3rd Class

• Second Class Petty Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 07:26 AM

Yeah, the DAV told my dad to be happy with 50%...I took hold of his case and he is now 100% plus A/A!!!

#7 masters101

masters101

E-3 Seaman

• Third Class Petty Officers
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 12:48 AM

Good for you.

#8 vmo

vmo

E-6 Petty Officer 1st Class

• Chief Petty Officers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 09:01 AM

I used the DAV before for VA claims assistance and I maintain a Life Membership in a local chapter. The Service Officers for the DAV had/have an ego beyond reproach. For some unjustified reason they believe "they" provide the best claim service and advice. Well, they do not. Oh yes, they do maintain some type of "you scratch my back/I'll scratch yours relationship" with the VARO's. The DAV has been beneficial in assisting with passing needed legislation. However, the claims service they provide---needs revamped and distanced from the VARO. As I have said before: it is the individual doing good work......the organization means little. *I have increased my s/c percentage every time by NOT listening to recommendations given to me by the DAV and AMVETS. Their answer was always: "be satisfied with what you were awarded and go home".

#9 MikeR

MikeR

HadIt.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 10:32 AM

I used the DAV before for VA claims assistance and I maintain a Life Membership in a local chapter. The Service Officers for the DAV had/have an ego beyond reproach. For some unjustified reason they believe "they" provide the best claim service and advice. Well, they do not. Oh yes, they do maintain some type of "you scratch my back/I'll scratch yours relationship" with the VARO's. The DAV has been beneficial in assisting with passing needed legislation. However, the claims service they provide---needs revamped and distanced from the VARO. As I have said before: it is the individual doing good work......the organization means little. *I have increased my s/c percentage every time by NOT listening to recommendations given to me by the DAV and AMVETS. Their answer was always: "be satisfied with what you were awarded and go home".

Once I paid my money I could not get a call back, however I did get someone in DC to look at my last SSOC. They were really shocked at how poorly written the SSOC was and reffered me to an Law Firm under EAJA so maybe it was $250.00 well spent.......maybe.

Mike

#10 john999

john999

HadIt.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • 22268 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 03:53 PM

Maybe the DAV does some good at the national level, but as far as representation on the local level I find them piss poor. I would like to know what the national officer's expense accounts look like? I bet they have some swell parties. They have been great boot lickers traditionally making VA big shots "Disabled Vet of the Year" on a regular basis. Considering we have not had a increase in the basic level of VA compensation in 50 years except for COLA's they have failed us miserably. In 1971 I got $28 dollars a month for a 10% disability. Now it is 40 years later and the rate for 10% is about $150 bucks. All that is due to the COLA and would not pay my electric bill for one month. A vet with a 70% rating is $1200 some odd dollars. That is a joke. We all know a vet with a 70% rating is probably unemployable. What has the DAV to say about this and how loud have they said it? When I got 70% the VA told me not to appeal for IU. I was already on SSD.

#11 Testvet

Testvet

HadIt.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • 2478 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 05:23 PM

my momma told me if I couldn't say anything nice to be quiet hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm time to shut up

#12 pete992

pete992

E-8 Senior Chief Petty Officer

• Senior Chief Petty Officer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1477 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 05:53 PM

I think they are about the same DAV, AL it really doesn't matter. Some don't know enough, some don't care, some are good but extremely rare and if their office is adjacent, upstairs or just in the same building as the Veteran Affairs Office, and then there are problems. They have coffee, smoke breaks, breakfast, lunch and so on with VA employees and confusion sets in. They don't want to stop doing these things with their VA friends and they screw the veterans or allow VA friends to screw the veterans. So the bottom line is to keep close contact with VA and your claims.

I maybe wrong or off, so just ignore me.

JMO

Edited by pete992, 19 March 2010 - 09:01 PM.

#13 Berta

Berta

HadIt.com Elder/SVR Radio Panelist

• SVR
  • 28858 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 08:33 AM

http://www.bva.va.go...s/BVA2009AR.pdf

On page 14 of Chairman Terry's Annual BVA report-you can find the main vet orgs as to how they stack up on awards and remands.

MOPH has a higher rate of allowed claims (awarded) than DAV and the AL-traditionally the top ones- but MOPH also has a smaller amount of claims.

DAV is in my opinion- a wonderful organization and I donate to them faithfully.
Their legislative Service division (the NSOs) is another matter-
for every good NSO they have they might have more than one who doesn't have a clue.

All of the vet orgs are plagued by this problem.The good reps and SOs are overwhelmed and the lousy ones probably simply just need much better training.It takes years to learn all the nuances of VA case law.And the regs change too.

Also it would be great if vet reps and SOs in the main vet orgs could focus on their specific areas of expertise- then these types of claims could be handled solely by them.

Having been a VA claimant for over a decade myself-as widow of a veteran-I learned long ago that the best vet rep I would ever get-is me.

I knew my claims in and out and I knew what evidence I had to obtain.

The DAV even tried to discourage my husband in his lifetime ,as well as me,after he died on the 2 claims he had pending at death.

They both succeeded with no thanks to the DAV rep I had.

However the fact remains that DAV has consistently had a high success rate for claims at the BVA. It all depends on the individual NSO you get.(and having the evidence you need)

Awards,however, are won with medical evidence.

If that is lacking ( or the evidence of an inservice nexus is lacking )then even the best reps and lawyers around cannot help the claim succeed.

#14 QueenB

QueenB

E-2 Recruit

• Seaman
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 05:46 PM

Maybe the DAV does some good at the national level, but as far as representation on the local level I find them piss poor. I would like to know what the national officer's expense accounts look like? I bet they have some swell parties. They have been great boot lickers traditionally making VA big shots "Disabled Vet of the Year" on a regular basis. Considering we have not had a increase in the basic level of VA compensation in 50 years except for COLA's they have failed us miserably. In 1971 I got $28 dollars a month for a 10% disability. Now it is 40 years later and the rate for 10% is about $150 bucks. All that is due to the COLA and would not pay my electric bill for one month. A vet with a 70% rating is $1200 some odd dollars. That is a joke. We all know a vet with a 70% rating is probably unemployable. What has the DAV to say about this and how loud have they said it? When I got 70% the VA told me not to appeal for IU. I was already on SSD.

I am a Certified DAV Service Officer and whoever told you not to put in for unemployability was lazy and did not want to give you one form to fill out for Unemployability. I am bitter towards some NSO because they don't care. I am presently in Philadelphia but I am leaving here this weekend and I am coming to work in the trenches, just like I did here. I will be moving to Tampa to be will my children and find some comrades to help. My NSO here is sad to see me go because I brought them packets with the veterans information to be processed. I apologize for your being mislead. I have more than I can do here but my season is up here. I volunteer my services and perhaps if some of those big wigs were volunteers for real, their passion for helping comrades would be better.

#15 chinavet

chinavet

E-5 Petty Officer 2nd Class

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 07:59 AM

I know this is an old thread but it is relevant to me. I have done pretty much everything by myself with little help from the DAV. That has been especially hard being out of country and in pretty bad shape. I have learned more in 4 weeks of reading here than 9 years of rep work by the DAV.
I have made the excuse for them that they are overworked, but reality is they haven't been at all proactive.

I was told in March that I needed to be evacuated back to the US for care. I am uninsurable and do not have the money for exploratory surgery for crohn's symptoms. DAV said they would call on my case and push AMC and put me in for hardship expediting.

Three calls later over a 4 month speriod and they had not done anything but promised again they would get on it.

I finally called a Senator and the aide asked VA to expedite, but the letter back last week indicates they just ignored him and did not mention his request. DAV said that I should just leave sleeping dogs lie and hope they get done rating soon....

I am always polite, never complain to the DAV and only since being told that my inflammatory bowel stuff could become malignant soon (tole me in Mar) have I become really panicky....

Would a lawyer be any more proactive?

#16 COOL BREEZE

COOL BREEZE

E-8 Senior Chief Petty Officer

• Senior Chief Petty Officer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 09:16 AM

I think I will keep my lips sealed on this post!!!:unsure:

#17 tanker2

tanker2

E-4 Petty Officer 3rd Class

• PipPipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 11:15 AM

this is a personal question....for me after getting shut down by the v.a. back in 1972 with sorry kid thats it thats final. i stumble across a vet telling me about his disability and how this d.a.v organization guy
helped him and his family get benefits. he said it costs nothing . i contacted that guy . all these years of sorry kid were reversed.

#18 westcoastlv

westcoastlv

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 11:48 AM

I think the DAV does what it's supposed to do, help the Vet through the process, especially if they've never done anything like this before. However, the Veteran needs to be informed and educated. I have learned so much from this site and have benefitted from the advice here. Our personal story is that we were unhappy with my husband's rating and were prepared to file a NOD. Our DAV rep advised against it and instead filed for an increase. While we appreciated the reasoning behind it, it just didn't sit right with us. We did in fact end up filing the NOD and feel as if we are on the right track. My husband's DAV rep is a good guy and I think he honestly helps Veterans, but nobody works for you like you. If the Veteran doesn't have the time or desire the take in all of the information out there, then the DAV is where to start, but I think the Veteran will soon realize that the true payoff doesn't happen until he/she gets and stays involved every step of the way.

#19 Testvet

Testvet

HadIt.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • 2478 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 04:29 PM

in May 2007 my DAV rep left and my case was given to the office manager he had worked at the BVA so he was supposed to be one of the "best" I had a active claim for CAD and hypertension on appeal since Dec 2002, his advice to me was to drop the current claim and start over by first filing for a hypertension claim alone that would have been a 10% award and then file a new claim for the CAD, needless to say I revoked his POA and kept my claim on appeal I got lucky and met a NOVA lawyer thru Larry Scott who used to write the VA Watchdog site she took my case pro bono since my denials were prior to the June 2007 date that allowed us to "hire" lawyers she dealt with the DRO and filed the Form 9 to get the case to the BVA and out of the RO, in Feb 2009 we had the BVA hearing in April I got the letter from BVA granting the CAD and hypertension in Jun 2009 I finally got the award letter 60% CAD and 10% hypertension which gave me SMC S as I am also rated at 100% PTSD

I just had a biventricular pace maker put in which should now take me to 100% for the CAD

regardless it's your claim and do not put your entire trust in someone else to find documents, research information etc, if you do it you know it's done many veterans here do not even use VSOs and others just use them as points of contacts to submit paperwork thru most VSOs will not return calls, I have never even had one give me an e mail address to contact them they have hundreds of open cases all the time and we are just not that important to them just my 2 cents

#20 chinavet

chinavet

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 09:50 PM

Happy Veterans Day everyone.

The worst part has been the lack of guidance in my case.
DAV never told me about Buddy Letters or anything that would have smoothed this process.
Do they get consistent training?
Is there a checks and balance system?

I'm grateful for this forum. I've learned a lot.

#21 chinavet

chinavet

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 09:51 PM

Happy Veterans Day everyone.

The worst part has been the lack of guidance in my case.
DAV never told me about Buddy Letters or anything that would have smoothed this process.
Do they get consistent training?
Is there a checks and balance system?

I'm grateful for this forum. I've learned a lot.