Search

Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup
@  carlie : (30 August 2014 - 06:27 PM) Vet211060 - I Guess They're Not That Shameful After All : - ) Congrats On Some Positive Adjudication
@  vet201060 : (30 August 2014 - 04:24 PM) Dav Sent Letter Saying I Am 100% Effective Oct 2013
@  MarkInTexas : (30 August 2014 - 12:35 PM) Wish There Was A "like" Button For Some Of These Comments.......
@  MarkInTexas : (30 August 2014 - 12:26 PM) Amen To That!
@  vet201060 : (28 August 2014 - 09:55 PM) Va Is So Shameful!!
@  artlouis : (27 August 2014 - 11:36 AM) Code 7019
@  vet201060 : (26 August 2014 - 11:41 PM) Damn Post It Notes
@  vet201060 : (26 August 2014 - 11:41 PM) True That
@  Asiadaug : (26 August 2014 - 07:46 PM) I Have Yet To Deal With Any Piece Of Va That Isn't A Dysfunctional Mess...ebenefits, Claim Filing, Billing...and To Think Our Tax Dollars Are Used To Perpetuate That Calamity!
@  carlie : (26 August 2014 - 05:39 PM) notorious kelly - loved your shout ! ! !
@  GlassRose1500 : (26 August 2014 - 03:40 PM) Would Someone Add Smc Housbound Plus Smc A&a Regular And One Smc K For Me? I Can't Seem To Do That Math!
@  Notorious Kelly : (26 August 2014 - 03:12 PM) Ebenefits Is Not A Thermometer In The Rectum Of Your Claim; It Is A Post-It Note That May Or Not Be Updated Or Accurate. Try Not To Obsess ;)
@  mcassidy : (26 August 2014 - 01:25 PM) Osa
@  Jaluluah11B : (26 August 2014 - 10:05 AM) My Reconsideration Finally Showed Up On Ebenefits As A New Claim.  gathering Evidence.  [font=Arial][size=3]Automated 5103 Notice Response Needed. [/size][/font]
@  vet201060 : (26 August 2014 - 10:00 AM) Went From Pending Decision Approval To Review Of Evidence Today, I Need To Stop Looking At It. Drives You Crazy Waiting
@  GlassRose1500 : (25 August 2014 - 09:30 PM) @coriemboh I Get My Best Claim Advice Here, But My Dav Guy Gets The Best Intel Once The Claim Is Filed
@  coriemboh : (25 August 2014 - 08:57 PM) The Average Processing Time Is 9 Months More Or Less. Every Time I Call The 800#, I Get A Different Answer. Goe, Roe....make Up Your Mind!
@  coriemboh : (25 August 2014 - 08:56 PM) I Just Want To Know Ballpark Figure Of How Much Longer My Claim Will Take. The Bills Are Piling Up. Adds To My Anxiety And Depression. Sure Wish I Could Tell Bill Collectors The Same Things Va Tells Me!
@  coriemboh : (25 August 2014 - 08:54 PM) @glassrose1500-No, I Don't. I Put In For Representation A Few Days Ago, But I'm Sure That End Won't Pan Out Until The Claim Is Closed.
@  GlassRose1500 : (25 August 2014 - 12:11 PM) Would Appreciate Feedback On My Smc Draft - Posted In The Smc Section! Tkx!

Photo
- - - - -

Attention: Nine New Gulf War Presumptive Illnesses!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
18 replies to this topic

#1 LarryJ

LarryJ

Hadit.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3214 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 12:53 PM

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
March 18, 2010

VA Recognizes “Presumptive” Illnesses in Iraq, Afghanistan

Decision Simplifies Application for Disability Pay

WASHINGTON – Secretary of Veterans Affairs Eric K. Shinseki today announced the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) is taking steps to make it easier for Veterans to obtain disability compensation for certain diseases associated with service in the Persian Gulf War or Afghanistan. This will be the beginning of historic change for how VA considers Gulf War Veterans’ illnesses.

Following recommendations made by VA’s Gulf War Veterans Illnesses Task Force, VA is publishing a proposed regulation in the Federal Register that will establish new presumptions of service connection for nine specific infectious diseases associated with military service in Southwest Asia during the Persian Gulf War, or in Afghanistan on or after September 19, 2001.

“We recognize the frustrations that many Gulf War and Afghanistan Veterans and their families experience on a daily basis as they look for answers to health questions, and seek benefits from VA,” said Secretary Shinseki.

The proposed rule includes information about the long-term health effects potentially associated with the nine diseases: Brucellosis, Campylobacter jejuni, Coxiella burnetii (Q fever), malaria, Mycobacterium tuberculosis, Nontyphoid Salmonella, Shigella, Visceral leishmaniasis and West Nile virus.
For non-presumptive conditions, a Veteran is required to provide medical evidence that can be used to establish an actual connection between military service in Southwest Asia or in Afghanistan, and a specific disease.

With the proposed rule, a Veteran will only have to show service in Southwest Asia or Afghanistan, and a current diagnosis of one of the nine diseases. Comments on the proposed rule will be accepted over the next 60 days. A final regulation will be published after consideration of all comments received.

The decision was made after reviewing the 2006 report of the National Academy of Sciences (NAS), titled, “Gulf War and Health Volume 5: Infectious Diseases.” The 2006 report differed from the four prior reports by looking at the long-term health effects of certain diseases determined to be pertinent to Gulf War Veterans.
The 1998 Persian Gulf War Veterans Act requires the Secretary to review NAS reports that study scientific information and possible associations between illnesses and exposure to toxic agents by Veterans who served in the Persian Gulf War.

Because the Persian Gulf War has not officially been declared ended, Veterans serving in Operation Iraqi Freedom are eligible for VA’s new presumptions. Secretary Shinseki decided to include Afghanistan Veterans in these presumptions because NAS found that the nine diseases are prevalent in that country.
Noting that today’s proposed regulation reflects a significant determination of a positive association between service in the Persian Gulf War and certain diseases, Secretary Shinseki added, “By setting up scientifically-based presumptive service connection, we give these deserving Veterans a simple way to get the benefits they have earned in service to our country.”

Last year, VA received more than one million claims for disability compensation and pension. VA provides compensation and pension benefits to over 3.8 million Veterans and beneficiaries. Presently, the basic monthly rate of compensation ranges from $123 to $2,673 to Veterans without any dependents.
Disability compensation is a non-taxable, monthly monetary benefit paid to Veterans who are disabled as a result of an injury or illness that was incurred or aggravated during active military service.

For more information about health problems associated with military service during operations Desert Shield, Desert Storm, Iraqi Freedom and Enduring Freedom and related VA programs go to www.publichealth.va.gov/exposures/gulfwar/ or go to www.va.gov for information about disability compensation.

Advertise Here

#2 chr49

chr49

E-5 Petty Officer 2nd Class

• Chief Petty Officers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 01:06 PM

Larry J
Thanks for posting this important release.

#3 LarryJ

LarryJ

Hadit.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • 3214 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 03:24 PM

Larry J
Thanks for posting this important release.

no problema'

#4 vperl

vperl

• Chief Petty Officers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 04:21 PM

According to the TWO Tier system of claims settlement, Vietnam vets are on the bottom of this new pile.....
The youngsters get first whack at the system......

are the proposed rules published as of today or next week?

Hmmmmmmmm.

guess what? the day the new gulf war presumptive are announced,,,,, the VA
yes the VA publishes the Proposed rules on the federal registary....

Well, I never saw that comming.......... kick me in the face and call me Nancy

Edited by vperl, 18 March 2010 - 04:25 PM.

#5 LarryJ

LarryJ

Hadit.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • 3214 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 04:23 PM

According to the TWO Tier system of claims settlement, Vietnam vets are on the bottom of this new pile.....
The youngsters get first whack at the system......

are the proposed rules published as of today or next weeK?

Hmmmmmmmm.

You read the posting. Now you know as much as I do.

#6 vperl

vperl

• Chief Petty Officers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 04:33 PM

You read the posting. Now you know as much as I do.

guess what the proposed rules are posted..... on thefederal regiastry now...the same day announced.....

can I say screw the RVN guys real loud

#7 Philip Rogers

Philip Rogers

HadIt.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • 3882 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 04:59 PM

vperl - they've been screwin' us all along. Sad but not much we can do about it, this late in the game. Statiscally there are only about a third of us left, so it doesn't matter much to anyone. Just try to enjoy what time we have left!!! Life's gettin' short! jmo

pr

#8 vperl

vperl

• Chief Petty Officers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 05:09 PM

:)

vperl - they've been screwin' us all along. Sad but not much we can do about it, this late in the game. Statiscally there are only about a third of us left, so it doesn't matter much to anyone. Just try to enjoy what time we have left!!! Life's gettin' short! jmo

pr

And they never even offered a reach******

#9 jhilly

jhilly

E-3 Seaman

• Third Class Petty Officers
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 06:37 AM

What is meant by proposed rules on the federal registry? I had a lot of these symptoms while I was deployed to Iraq and for some time after I returned. I still have joint and muscle pain.

Is there anything I can do about compensation now, six years later?
James

#10 bergin c/o

bergin c/o

E-4 Petty Officer 3rd Class

• Second Class Petty Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 08:24 AM

since it has been so long since the gulf war would brucellosis still show up in a blood test. how would you prove you had it?

#11 Berta

Berta

HadIt.com Elder/SVR Radio Panelist

• SVR
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28634 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 08:52 AM

"Brucellosis is an infectious disease caused by the bacteria of the genus Brucella. These bacteria are primarily passed among animals, and they cause disease in many different vertebrates. Various Brucella species affect sheep, goats, cattle, deer, elk, pigs, dogs, and several other animals. Humans become infected by coming in contact with animals or animal products that are contaminated with these bacteria. In humans brucellosis can cause a range of symptoms that are similar to the flu and may include fever, sweats, headaches, back pains, and physical weakness. Severe infections of the central nervous systems or lining of the heart may occur. Brucellosis can also cause long-lasting or chronic symptoms that include recurrent fevers, joint pain, and fatigue."

"Brucellosis is diagnosed in a laboratory by finding Brucella organisms in samples of blood or bone marrow. Also, blood tests can be done to detect antibodies against the bacteria. If this method is used, two blood samples should be collected 2 weeks apart."

http://www.cdc.gov/n...ucellosis_g.htm

I feel any GW, Iraq,Afganistan veteran with these symptoms should claim the brucellosis as well as claim they have a qualifying chronic disability.(explained here in other topics regarding GW illnesses).

The symptoms for some of these new presumptives are almost the same as those for service connectable chronic qualifying disabilities n the Persian Gulf War regulations.

The idea of presumption in these proposed regs-as I understand them- is that the conditions in SW Asia were so condusive to parasites and infectious diseases that all GW,Iraq,and Afganistan incountry veterans are presumed top have been exposed to
etiologies that could cause these illnesses and with a diagnosis of one of the new 9 presumptives and with proof of SW Asia service, they should gain service connection for the residuals of these diseases.

Edited by Berta, 29 June 2010 - 08:54 AM.

#12 bergin c/o

bergin c/o

• PipPipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 04:36 PM

sorry i am still confused by this. do we apply for service conection because we displayed the symtoms would it still show up in a blood test. i say this only because they are giving me such a hard time over service connecting my arthritis now, would they just deny me service connection for brucellosis because i was never givin a blood test when i got out for it .sorry to sound so lost just wanted to know how to service connect it.

#13 LarryJ

LarryJ

Hadit.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • 3214 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 05:06 PM

"Also, blood tests can be done to detect antibodies against the bacteria."

This is the "operative" sentence concerning the ability for them to detect whether you do have, or have had, or have been exposed to, the disease.
This diagnosis is arrived at after two positive tests for the antibodies.
So, they can determine if you are qualified to receive compensation simply by performing the tests.

just sayin...............

#14 *Bergie*

*Bergie*

E-7 Chief Petty Officer

• Content Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 549 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 05:13 PM

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
March 18, 2010

VA Recognizes "Presumptive" Illnesses in Iraq, Afghanistan

Decision Simplifies Application for Disability Pay

WASHINGTON – Secretary of Veterans Affairs Eric K. Shinseki today announced the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) is taking steps to make it easier for Veterans to obtain disability compensation for certain diseases associated with service in the Persian Gulf War or Afghanistan. This will be the beginning of historic change for how VA considers Gulf War Veterans' illnesses.

Following recommendations made by VA's Gulf War Veterans Illnesses Task Force, VA is publishing a proposed regulation in the Federal Register that will establish new presumptions of service connection for nine specific infectious diseases associated with military service in Southwest Asia during the Persian Gulf War, or in Afghanistan on or after September 19, 2001.

"We recognize the frustrations that many Gulf War and Afghanistan Veterans and their families experience on a daily basis as they look for answers to health questions, and seek benefits from VA," said Secretary Shinseki.

The proposed rule includes information about the long-term health effects potentially associated with the nine diseases: Brucellosis, Campylobacter jejuni, Coxiella burnetii (Q fever), malaria, Mycobacterium tuberculosis, Nontyphoid Salmonella, Shigella, Visceral leishmaniasis and West Nile virus.
For non-presumptive conditions, a Veteran is required to provide medical evidence that can be used to establish an actual connection between military service in Southwest Asia or in Afghanistan, and a specific disease.

With the proposed rule, a Veteran will only have to show service in Southwest Asia or Afghanistan, and a current diagnosis of one of the nine diseases. Comments on the proposed rule will be accepted over the next 60 days. A final regulation will be published after consideration of all comments received.

The decision was made after reviewing the 2006 report of the National Academy of Sciences (NAS), titled, "Gulf War and Health Volume 5: Infectious Diseases." The 2006 report differed from the four prior reports by looking at the long-term health effects of certain diseases determined to be pertinent to Gulf War Veterans.
The 1998 Persian Gulf War Veterans Act requires the Secretary to review NAS reports that study scientific information and possible associations between illnesses and exposure to toxic agents by Veterans who served in the Persian Gulf War.

Because the Persian Gulf War has not officially been declared ended, Veterans serving in Operation Iraqi Freedom are eligible for VA's new presumptions. Secretary Shinseki decided to include Afghanistan Veterans in these presumptions because NAS found that the nine diseases are prevalent in that country.
Noting that today's proposed regulation reflects a significant determination of a positive association between service in the Persian Gulf War and certain diseases, Secretary Shinseki added, "By setting up scientifically-based presumptive service connection, we give these deserving Veterans a simple way to get the benefits they have earned in service to our country."

Last year, VA received more than one million claims for disability compensation and pension. VA provides compensation and pension benefits to over 3.8 million Veterans and beneficiaries. Presently, the basic monthly rate of compensation ranges from $123 to $2,673 to Veterans without any dependents.
Disability compensation is a non-taxable, monthly monetary benefit paid to Veterans who are disabled as a result of an injury or illness that was incurred or aggravated during active military service.

For more information about health problems associated with military service during operations Desert Shield, Desert Storm, Iraqi Freedom and Enduring Freedom and related VA programs go to www.publichealth.va.gov/exposures/gulfwar/ or go to www.va.gov for information about disability compensation.

The word presumptive is a joke for Gulf War vets, I just got denied on 3 presumptives. Not sure how to proceed yet, but what good is it to recognize a condition if the VARO continues to deny benefits. All I can say is that I never had diarrhia last for 7 years, or migraine headaches, or joint pain, never, until I came back from Iraq. And what a slap in the face to see them identify additional presumptives when the VARO continues to deny vets claims.
JMO,
Bergie

#15 LarryJ

LarryJ

Hadit.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • 3214 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 05:27 PM

The word presumptive is a joke for Gulf War vets, I just got denied on 3 presumptives. Not sure how to proceed yet, but what good is it to recognize a condition if the VARO continues to deny benefits. All I can say is that I never had diarrhia last for 7 years, or migraine headaches, or joint pain, never, until I came back from Iraq. And what a slap in the face to see them identify additional presumptives when the VARO continues to deny vets claims.
JMO,
Bergie

Bergie, I feel your pain. NO, I REALLY DO feel your pain. And, I know how frustrated you are. NO, I REALLY DO know how frustrated you are (I deal with the VA on a daily basis, and, remember, I TO am a disabled veteran....so, I DO KNOW).
Now, having said that, I, unfortunately, have not been keeping up with your struggles with the VA. And, I apologize for that.
I'll ask a couple of question, if you don't mind?
Do you have diagnosis for your disability(s)? And, do you have medical nexus opinion connecting your current disability(s) to your service, or continuity of treatment going back to your service (or the 12 months following your discharge, etc. yada, yada)?
I know, I know, they are SUPPOSED to make the connections, due to these supposedly being PRESUMPTIVE illnesses..................but, that does not change the fact that you are dealing with the VA.........you gotta take them by the hand and lead them down the right paths.
If you would like, and you don't feel like going into this here.........then you can always contact me via PM, and I'll try to help you however I can. Okay?

#16 *Bergie*

*Bergie*

E-7 Chief Petty Officer

• Content Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 549 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 08:58 PM

Bergie, I feel your pain. NO, I REALLY DO feel your pain. And, I know how frustrated you are. NO, I REALLY DO know how frustrated you are (I deal with the VA on a daily basis, and, remember, I TO am a disabled veteran....so, I DO KNOW).
Now, having said that, I, unfortunately, have not been keeping up with your struggles with the VA. And, I apologize for that.
I'll ask a couple of question, if you don't mind?
Do you have diagnosis for your disability(s)? And, do you have medical nexus opinion connecting your current disability(s) to your service, or continuity of treatment going back to your service (or the 12 months following your discharge, etc. yada, yada)?
I know, I know, they are SUPPOSED to make the connections, due to these supposedly being PRESUMPTIVE illnesses..................but, that does not change the fact that you are dealing with the VA.........you gotta take them by the hand and lead them down the right paths.
If you would like, and you don't feel like going into this here.........then you can always contact me via PM, and I'll try to help you however I can. Okay?

LJ,
Thanks for the offer, I will PM you in the near future to discuss my options.
Thanks,
Bergie

#17 bergin c/o

bergin c/o

• PipPipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 06:38 AM

thank you for all your help.

#18 cocolady

cocolady

E-2 Recruit

• Seaman
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 06:56 PM

Hello Everyone,
I am new to this site. I am a Gulf War Veteran and I am suffering seriously from Fribromylaga. Anyone on this site a Gulf War Veteran and suffering from Fribromyalgia? It is very painful and some serious energy loss since my return from the Gulf War which was nearly 20 years ago. Anyone one this site has the same problem? If, so, are you having a hard time getting any disability compensation for it?

cocolady

#19 Berta

Berta

HadIt.com Elder/SVR Radio Panelist

• SVR
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28634 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 09:03 AM

There are awards at the BVA web site for this condition:

http://www4.va.gov/v...es4/0928506.txt

A non veteran friend of mine has this disability and it is often misunderstood and very painful.We might have some vets here who have it and can respond.

Advertise Here