Photo

Neuropsychological Testing

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 scali71

scali71

E-2 Recruit

• Seaman
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 03:34 PM

I have neuropsychological testing scheduled for tomorrow. What can I expect to happen? Is this a written test?

#2 Pete53

Pete53

Moderator/HadIt.com Elder

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21601 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 04:39 PM

Welcome to Hadit. I don't know the answer but I would say not to worry and consider any questions to mean how is it like when you are home and not how you are feeling at the exam.

#3 Wings

Wings

HadIt.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • 12762 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 09:09 PM

x
x
x

It may be a long test, so bring some orange juice and snacks! You are lucky to have been scheduled for neuropsyche testing, it's expensive ---which means you must already have substantial evidence of impairment or they VA would not waste the money. Concentrate on your disability and report all of your symptoms, especially those that negatively impact your daily life at home and work. Speak and write slowly and honestly, and if something is very important to you, ask them to please write that in their notes. If you don't understand their questions, don't pretend you do --ask them to explain it to you. If you have any current medical evidence that you want added to your VA medical record, make a copy and bring it to your exam. Good luck and God Bless. ~Wings

#4 Humble18C

Humble18C

E-3 Seaman

• Seaman
  • PipPipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 09:38 AM

I recently had my C&P/Neuro and I am clueless. The doctor told me I had a GAF of 40 with "major depression". I asked about the TBI and she stated I have one which has led to PTSD and major depression. I can't help but think the TBI claim will be lost in the shuffle so to speak.

#5 Berta

Berta

HadIt.com Elder/SVR Radio Panelist

• SVR
  • 28050 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 08:41 AM

She said the TBI led to the PTSD ?

That doesn't quite make medical sense.

A TBI is a physical trauma to the brain.But can impact on emotional health.

Maybe she meant the incident that caused the TBI also gave you PTSD and in that case, it would make sense.

Try to keep these as 2 separate issues in the claim as they should be rated separately.

"I can't help but think the TBI claim will be lost in the shuffle so to speak." I see what you mean but maybe this will go OK.

If you get a copy of the actual C & P results that will give you a leg up on how they are handling this claim.

The doc did verify the TBI and you do have the PTSD diagnosis and the stressor (the TBI incident itself would most likely be a stressor -IED, accident ,etc.)

Do you have in service documentation of proof of the TBI event ?

Edited by Berta, 10 July 2010 - 08:44 AM.

#6 AtRisk

AtRisk

E-2 Recruit

• Seaman
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 06:48 PM

I guess I was extremely lucky. They rated me 100% unemployable in less than 90 days. The majority is Brain Injury and PTSD (70%). I got hurt in the line of duty as an MP and had(have still alot) amnesia. It affects me pretty bad still.

#7 Pete53

Pete53

Moderator/HadIt.com Elder

• 21601 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 09:34 AM

Congrats on winning your claim

#8 autumn

autumn

E-6 Petty Officer 1st Class

• Senior Chief Petty Officer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 08:41 PM

hey,

i was going to start a new topic but see this one is titled what i would titlttle it.

i requested a neuropsychological evaluation due to my stuttering, harder time pulling words out my brian for complete sentences, lessening of verbal expressiveness, etc.

this mostly due to ms, depression/mood disorder(secondary to ms)

i have no idea if thise witll be beneficial or detrimental to me (knowing the va). but, no one at va wants to write what and why i have these issues so i asked for this exam to check it out.

i see "wings" below explain some of this type of testing, anyone know other stuff about it? schedulaer did say to bring snack/meds/water due to it is like 4 hours long or so. i'll have to take meds just ot sit 4 hours and the stress of just being at a VA will increase.

ok, i'm rampbling, sorry. just trying to get heads up of what to expect if any folks here know.

thanks

#9 Wings

Wings

HadIt.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • 12762 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 09:45 PM

hey,

i was going to start a new topic but see this one is titled what i would titlttle it.

i requested a neuropsychological evaluation due to my stuttering, harder time pulling words out my brian for complete sentences, lessening of verbal expressiveness, etc.

this mostly due to ms, depression/mood disorder(secondary to ms)

i have no idea if thise witll be beneficial or detrimental to me (knowing the va). but, no one at va wants to write what and why i have these issues so i asked for this exam to check it out.

i see "wings" below explain some of this type of testing, anyone know other stuff about it? schedulaer did say to bring snack/meds/water due to it is like 4 hours long or so. i'll have to take meds just ot sit 4 hours and the stress of just being at a VA will increase.

ok, i'm rampbling, sorry. just trying to get heads up of what to expect if any folks here know.

thanks

x
x
x

It's been many years since I gave the neuro-psychological tests to military patients, so I am not sure which tests are status quo anymore. The younger vets tested for TBI will know! I do know that a simple battery (series) of simple tasks would include intelligence, memory, problem solving, etc. Do not try to hide your difficulties --its to your advantage to reproduce the symptoms you are having problems with at home and work. ~Wings

#10 autumn

autumn

E-6 Petty Officer 1st Class

• Senior Chief Petty Officer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 08:14 PM

x
x
x

It's been many years since I gave the neuro-psychological tests to military patients, so I am not sure which tests are status quo anymore. The younger vets tested for TBI will know! I do know that a simple battery (series) of simple tasks would include intelligence, memory, problem solving, etc. Do not try to hide your difficulties --its to your advantage to reproduce the symptoms you are having problems with at home and work. ~Wings

ok, thanks for reply. i'll see how it goes. too used to being shot in foot via VA when i do the right thing. thanks