Photo

Automatic 100%

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
16 replies to this topic

#1 ZenArcher

ZenArcher

E-4 Petty Officer 3rd Class

• Second Class Petty Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 06:15 PM

Veterans diagnosed with ALS now receive an automatic 100% rating.

http://www.gpo.gov/f.../2010-15169.pdf

#2 LarryJ

LarryJ

Hadit.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3214 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 06:27 PM

........ah, yeah.......it's a "proposed" rule that has not been enacted yet............and, it states in the "proposal" that any veteran WITH SERVICE-CONNECTED ALS should receive 100%.
And, I know that for some of us that term "service-connected" does NOT mean anything but years of hassle and denials. I'm SURE, though, that the VA would NEVER drag their feet when it comes to hurrying up and paying 100% disability to some veteran with a FATAL disease........................as long as they are "service-connected".....................

I'm sorry, I know that you wanted to post some "good news", and I appreciate that.........I'm just suffering from a terminal case of "realism", acquired from over-exposure to the VA. :blink:

#3 ZenArcher

ZenArcher

• PipPipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 06:47 PM

The rule is active now. It is published in the Federal Register and will remain as Proposed until the comment period is complete.

#4 ZenArcher

ZenArcher

• PipPipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 10:11 AM

I hate to have to say this both for reasons of pride and for vets with ALS but Larry is correct this ruling is not yet in effect. I must say though that in almost all cases I've been involved in thus far the VA has been very responsive to vets with ALS.

#5 Marti

Marti

E-3 Seaman

• Seaman
  • PipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 01:13 PM

Veterans diagnosed with ALS now receive an automatic 100% rating.

http://www.gpo.gov/f.../2010-15169.pdf

Hey Zen
Will it go automatically to 100% if you have only been diagnosed at 30%....and to the time you were diagnosed?

Thanks
Marti

#6 gyrene

gyrene

E-2 Recruit

• Seaman
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 07:44 AM

I'm not trying to stir things up here but the language has me concerned where it mentions the "service connected" aspect of the illness.
Before this language ALS was considered a presumptive illness and now I see the "service connected" language inserted.
Is this a change of course? or lazy language? or of no concern? And why?

#7 Marti

Marti

E-3 Seaman

• Seaman
  • PipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 11:01 AM

So does anyone know if this Proposed Rule is Final.....If so when, or does it go into effect?

Marti

#8 Marti

Marti

E-3 Seaman

• Seaman
  • PipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 07:13 PM

I heard this bill was to be signed this month..has anyone heard different or do they know why it is taking a minute?

Thanks

#9 kydale

kydale

E-3 Seaman

• Seaman
  • PipPipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 09:14 PM

........ah, yeah.......it's a "proposed" rule that has not been enacted yet............and, it states in the "proposal" that any veteran WITH SERVICE-CONNECTED ALS should receive 100%.
And, I know that for some of us that term "service-connected" does NOT mean anything but years of hassle and denials. I'm SURE, though, that the VA would NEVER drag their feet when it comes to hurrying up and paying 100% disability to some veteran with a FATAL disease........................as long as they are "service-connected".....................

I'm sorry, I know that you wanted to post some "good news", and I appreciate that.........I'm just suffering from a terminal case of "realism", acquired from over-exposure to the VA. :blink:

GOOD INFORMATION.
THANK YOU

#10 Marti

Marti

E-3 Seaman

• Seaman
  • PipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 05:34 PM

I just found out today that ZenArcher has passed away from this horrible disease...Oct.14....6 years fighting!

#11 Pete53

Pete53

Moderator/HadIt.com Elder

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21753 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 11:24 PM

God Rest his soul and damn the VA for making Veterans like him fight and worry for such a long time

#12 Berta

Berta

HadIt.com Elder/SVR Radio Panelist

• SVR
  • 28455 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 07:17 AM

That is Horrible.

Ironically that was the anniversary date of my husband's death due to AO.

If he left a surviving spouse by all means have her join hadit and she should go to the DIC forum here and ask for advice.

I will be sure to see her posts there.

I used our search feature for Zen but cannot determine the status of his VA claim in his lifetime.

If it is still in process she can substitute herself as the claimant for retroactive accrued benefits and for a possible DIC benefit award.

He was so happy when the ALS regs came out. This is just terrible news.

#13 justrluk

justrluk

E-8 Senior Chief Petty Officer

• Senior Chief Petty Officer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 11:33 AM

Another tragic loss of wisdom. I really hope (as Berta mentions) that his spouse can log in and get educated when she's had a while to get things settled.

#14 gyrenesmate

gyrenesmate

E-2 Recruit

• New User Review
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 05:32 PM

It is my understanding, Jeff - ZenArcher, was not fighting for his benefits but rather a strong advocate for vets with ALS. I believe he was one of the vets who fought early on for ALS to be presumptive. We have him, among others, to thank for staying with it and getting it done. He was quite a fountain of knowledge regarding VA benefits and ALS. I bet he would have pleased when this was announced:

We are thrilled to report that this morning, the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs published regulations that would increase from 30% to 100% the minimum disability rating automatically provided to all veterans with ALS who qualify for service connected benefits! The rating would be provided regardless of the progression of the disease or whether or not a veteran is totally disabled at the time of their evaluation.

Because the disability rating is used to calculate monthly compensation payments and eligibility for other benefits, this means that veterans with ALS will begin to receive a higher level of benefits much sooner than they otherwise would under the existing regulations, which provide only a 30% minimum rating. It also means that veterans no longer will be forced to have their condition continually re-evaluated in order to receive a higher level of benefits as the disease progresses.

This is a tremendous victory for our military heroes with ALS! The regulation will speed access to benefits, decrease the burden on veterans and their families and help them to receive the compensation and benefits they need when they need them.

#15 carlie

carlie

Moderator/Admin/HadIt.com Elder/SVR Radio Panelist

• Admin
  • 21894 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 07:48 PM

I also just located his obituary to post.
It is also posted under Fallen Comrades - to stay.
http://dailyitem.com...43-McEwensville

"October 15, 2011

Jeffrey P. Faull, 43, McEwensville

MCEWENSVILLE — Jeffrey P. Faull, 43, of McEwensville, Advocate for the ALS Association, passed away Friday, Oct. 14, 2011 in his home after battling ALS for more than five years.

He was born March 20, 1968 in Jackson, Mich., the son of Bonnie Williams Faull, of Mifflinburg and Walter "Spike" and Margaret Faull, of North Carolina. On March 13, 1992 he married Tammy A. Arnold, and had two daughters, Tiffany N. and Breanna R. Faull, all of McEwensville.

A 1986 graduate of Mifflinburg High School, Jeff was a business development manager for SKF USA Inc.

He served in the Navy as a nuclear engineer for nine years, touring on the USS Theodore Roosevelt for four years.

Jeff was a member of the Watsontown American Legion.

Jeff was diagnosed with ALS, Lou Gehrig's Disease, in 2007. In 2008 he spoke as a witness before the House Committee on Veterans Affairs and was successful in making ALS a service-connected disease. On May 11, 2010, after years of hard work, Jeff was awarded the Rasmussen Advocate of the Year award by the ALS Association.

Jeff was a self proclaimed geek who loved computers and technology. He enjoyed watching anime and beating his daughters in every console game.

Along with his wife, daughters and parents, Jeff is survived by his father-in-law, Charles Arnold of Watsontown; brothers–in-law, Mike Arnold, of Watsontown, and Rick and Lory Arnold, of Milton; and sisters-in-law, Judy Arnold, Cathy and Rodney Taggart and Linda and Randy Newton, all of Watsontown.

Family and friends are invited to call from 7 to 9 p.m. Wednesday at Brooks Funeral Home, 124 Main St., Watsontown, where the funeral service will be held at 10:30 a.m. Thursday, with Pastor Amelia A. Shivers, of St. John's United Church of Christ, McEwensville, officiating.

Burial will be in Presbyterian Cemetery, McEwensville.

The family will provide flowers and strongly suggest contributions in Jeff's memory to the ALS Association, Greater Philadelphia Chapter, 321 Norristown Road, Suite 260, Amber, PA 19002 or at www.alsphiladelphia.org."

#16 Pete53

Pete53

Moderator/HadIt.com Elder

• 21753 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 09:25 PM

May ZenArcher RIP through his advocacy he has helped a lot of Veterans.

#17 donna68

donna68

• PipPipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 10:10 PM

ALS is now 100%!
A Fast Letter came out in 2012, making ALS an automatic 100%.
Sorry I dont have access to it online, if anyone can bring it up, I recall its is a FL 12-something...