Search

Advertise Here

Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  red : (30 September 2014 - 09:13 PM) Any Updates On Space A Flying For 100% P&t Vets?
@  red : (30 September 2014 - 09:09 PM) Space A Flying
@  vmo : (30 September 2014 - 07:23 PM) Sah
@  cragwex : (30 September 2014 - 06:35 AM) Decision & Claims File Dispatch And Pay
@  Tbird : (29 September 2014 - 05:45 PM) Dano Thanks For Your Contribution.
@  artlouis : (29 September 2014 - 04:07 PM) Nehmer Heart Transplant
@  vet201060 : (25 September 2014 - 11:28 PM) Reduced Va Disability Rating????
@  vet201060 : (25 September 2014 - 11:27 PM) Has Anyone Personally Been Reduced, Not Asking If You Know Some But If You Have Been Reduced
@  WVSERVER : (25 September 2014 - 12:16 PM) Test
@  lcurle : (22 September 2014 - 12:49 PM) Ebennies Is Down: Error Code [47]: The System Is Currently Unavailable. Please Try Again Later. If This Problem Continues, You May Contact The Dmdc Support Center (Dsc) At 800-477-8227 For Assistance.
@  Notorious Kelly : (21 September 2014 - 07:04 AM) Thanks, T, And Kudos To Kacy!
@  Tbird : (21 September 2014 - 12:48 AM) Forum Is Back Up And Running. We Lost Some Posts, But Were Able To Restore All The Posts To Sep 17. A Big Thank You To Member Kacy For Volunteering And Getting This Fixed.
@  raptorick : (20 September 2014 - 10:12 PM) Posts After The 17Th Are Missing
@  YellowGTO : (17 September 2014 - 01:37 PM) I Can See Reply's In My Email But When I Click The Link It Says "sorry, We Couldn't Find That!" Anyone Have Any Ideas?
@  cragwex : (15 September 2014 - 10:22 AM) Asking For T & P
@  NeverGiveUp : (14 September 2014 - 01:19 PM) Got Denial Letter From Va On Friday, Having Surgery For Hip This Friday Need Advice
@  Tbird : (13 September 2014 - 02:39 PM) Thank You Notorious
@  Notorious Kelly : (12 September 2014 - 02:52 PM) Happy To See The Donate Button For Hadit. No Pressure If You're Struggling But Give If You Can!
@  vet201060 : (11 September 2014 - 11:49 PM) Got The Dea Letter For Pain Killers Today. Interesting To See How This Actually Effects Us Getting Our Meds
@  bad@57 : (11 September 2014 - 07:07 PM) Hello Vets, Had A Very successful Bva Hearing August 20, 2014. Submitting Final Paperwork To Judge For Decision. Wish Me Luck As I Do All!

Photo
- - - - -

Education For An 18 Year Old Dependant

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
30 replies to this topic

#1 rdnkjeeper

rdnkjeeper

E-5 Petty Officer 2nd Class

• First Class Petty Officer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 09:05 AM

I need to find the form to fill out so I can keep my 18 year old on my claim. She is 18 but still going to school and starts college in the fall. Anyone know where the form is?

Thanks

Advertise Here

#2 JR Reihs

JR Reihs

HadIt.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 11:14 AM

I need to find the form to fill out so I can keep my 18 year old on my claim. She is 18 but still going to school and starts college in the fall. Anyone know where the form is?

Thanks

I hate to say that once 18 they are no longer your VA dependent unless still attending HS........if still attending HS, then the HS will need to verify this in writing on school letterhead.

#3 rdnkjeeper

rdnkjeeper

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 11:26 AM

She was 18 for the last few months of High School and I thought that if they are going to college and living at home they are still your dependant........http://www.vba.va.gov/bln/21/Rates/comp01.htm#FNA. Also when I called the 800 number they said as long as she is still in school and living at home she is....guess I am confused.

#4 Pete53

Pete53

Moderator/HadIt.com Elder

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21841 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 02:49 PM

JR:

You are mistaken if he fills out the right form his daughter will still be paid why over 18 still going to school. At least that is the way it worked for me and my kids as they were all summer babies and did not graduate till they were 18.

At 70% they will actually pay more than they did when under 18. Social Security will pay up to 13 months more if still in school.

Good Luck

#5 rdnkjeeper

rdnkjeeper

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 03:10 PM

Do you happen to know what that form is?

#6 JR Reihs

JR Reihs

HadIt.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 06:56 PM

Guess it is me who is confused as both of mine turned 18 a couple of months before HS graduation and the VA sent letters about both which stated that the HS needed to provide a grad date on school letterhead in order for the VA to pay as a dependent up to the grad date, after the grad date month the VA removed them from compensation.
SS worked the same way unless summer school was related to HS.
They both went on with Ch 35 so I did not look into it further.

#7 pete992

pete992

E-8 Senior Chief Petty Officer

• Senior Chief Petty Officer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1468 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 08:10 PM

Thanks

The correct form should be VA form 21-674 and the school does not have to sign it. I Just filled out part I and part III and send it in.

My daughter turned 18 and was still in high school and had a few months (4) before she graduated and my Voc Rehab counselor helped me fill out this form and I was paid until she graduated.

http://www.vba.va.go...-21-674-ARE.pdf

Hope This Helps.

#8 Wings

Wings

HadIt.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • 12762 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 05:50 PM

x
x
x

Please remember that you NEVER have to fill out the correct VA Form # --as long as your Letter to the VA clearly states your Claim, the VA is responsible for sending you the correct FORM!! Just send them a 1-2 paragraph letter, dated, signed, ssn, etc. ~Wings

Edited by Wings, 18 July 2010 - 05:52 PM.

#9 LarryJ

LarryJ

Hadit.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3214 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 07:35 PM

x
x
x

Please remember that you NEVER have to fill out the correct VA Form # --as long as your Letter to the VA clearly states your Claim, the VA is responsible for sending you the correct FORM!! Just send them a 1-2 paragraph letter, dated, signed, ssn, etc. ~Wings

But, why?
I mean, why not file the correct form to start with?
Heck, they are ALL on the va.gov website, under the "forms" heading.
Fill the correct one out, send it in, and be done with it. Why contribute to the backlog of claims?
Even the Chap 35 peeps are being overloaded and the "okays" on the educational benefits are running way behind.
But, do what ya want to.

just sayin.................

#10 sharon

sharon

HadIt.com Elder/Moderator

• Master Chief Petty Officer
  • 1126 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 09:19 PM

§ 3.57 Child.
(a) General. (1) Except as provided in paragraphs (a)(2) and (3) of this section, the term child of the veteran means an unmarried person who is a legitimate child, a child legally adopted before the age of 18 years, a stepchild who acquired that status before the age of 18 years and who is a member of the veteran's household or was a member of the veteran's household at the time of the veteran's death, or an illegitimate child; and(i) Who is under the age of 18 years; or

(ii) Who, before reaching the age of 18 years, became permanently incapable of self-support; or

(iii) Who, after reaching the age of 18 years and until completion of education or training (but not after reaching the age of 23 years) is pursuing a course of instruction at an educational institution approved by the Department of Veterans Affairs. For the purposes of this section and §3.667, the term “educational institution” means a permanent organization that offers courses of instruction to a group of students who meet its enrollment criteria, including schools, colleges, academies, seminaries, technical institutes, and universities. The term also includes home schools that operate in compliance with the compulsory attendance laws of the States in which they are located, whether treated as private schools or home schools under State law. The term “home schools” is limited to courses of instruction for grades kindergarten through 12.

The form is a 21-674b. You child can stay on you award until age 23 as long as they are still in school.

#11 Wings

Wings

HadIt.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • 12762 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 09:20 PM

But, why?
I mean, why not file the correct form to start with?
Heck, they are ALL on the va.gov website, under the "forms" heading.
Fill the correct one out, send it in, and be done with it. Why contribute to the backlog of claims?
Even the Chap 35 peeps are being overloaded and the "okays" on the educational benefits are running way behind.
But, do what ya want to.

just sayin.................

x
x
x

File a Claim to establish the earliest effectice date!

By all means, find the right VA Form, tell her which one it is, she asked on the 4th of July amd didn't get an answer --that's almost a month's worth of basic rate. ~Wings

#12 Wings

Wings

HadIt.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • 12762 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 09:39 PM

§ 3.57 Child.
(a) General. (1) Except as provided in paragraphs (a)(2) and (3) of this section, the term child of the veteran means an unmarried person who is a legitimate child, a child legally adopted before the age of 18 years, a stepchild who acquired that status before the age of 18 years and who is a member of the veteran's household or was a member of the veteran's household at the time of the veteran's death, or an illegitimate child; and(i) Who is under the age of 18 years; or

(ii) Who, before reaching the age of 18 years, became permanently incapable of self-support; or

(iii) Who, after reaching the age of 18 years and until completion of education or training (but not after reaching the age of 23 years) is pursuing a course of instruction at an educational institution approved by the Department of Veterans Affairs. For the purposes of this section and §3.667, the term “educational institution” means a permanent organization that offers courses of instruction to a group of students who meet its enrollment criteria, including schools, colleges, academies, seminaries, technical institutes, and universities. The term also includes home schools that operate in compliance with the compulsory attendance laws of the States in which they are located, whether treated as private schools or home schools under State law. The term “home schools” is limited to courses of instruction for grades kindergarten through 12.

The form is a 21-674b. You child can stay on you award until age 23 as long as they are still in school.

Thanks Sharon!! ~Wings

#13 pete992

pete992

• 1468 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 10:16 PM

Sharon, on 18 July 2010 - 07:19 PM, said:

§ 3.57 Child.

(iii) Who, after reaching the age of 18 years and until completion of education or training (but not after reaching the age of 23 years) is pursuing a course of instruction at an educational institution approved by the Department of Veterans Affairs. For the purposes of this section and §3.667, the term "educational institution" means a permanent organization that offers courses of instruction to a group of students who meet its enrollment criteria, including schools, colleges, academies, seminaries, technical institutes, and universities. The term also includes home schools that operate in compliance with the compulsory attendance laws of the States in which they are located, whether treated as private schools or home schools under State law. The term "home schools" is limited to courses of instruction for grades kindergarten through 12.

Sharon, here are the two forms, I think the veteran must fill out the VA form 21-674 to get everything set up in the system and then the Veteran can fill out the VA form 21-674b as the school year changes or the semester changes. The Va form 21-674b is just an attendance report and VA must first approve the school even if it is a high school. If I am off/wrong please help me understand.

Thanks

http://www.palomar.e...orms/21-674.pdf

http://www.vba.va.go...21-674b-ARE.pdf

#14 sharon

sharon

HadIt.com Elder/Moderator

• Master Chief Petty Officer
  • 1126 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 11:57 PM

Also remember that Summer is an authorized break and you still get paid for it. If the child is in college, list the expected graduation date. That way you don't have to it every semester. You don't have to redo the form again uless the child changes schools or graduate early.

#15 LarryJ

LarryJ

Hadit.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • 3214 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 10:31 AM

Uhhh, me thinks that we have TWO seperate conversations going on here:

Are we discussing #1. the eligibility of a child under the veteran's "dependents" monthly increase in the veteran's basic disability compensation (the one whereby the VETERAN'S monthly payment is increased due to the existence of a dependent), or are we speaking of #2. the dependent's qualifications under the Chapter 35 Educational Assistance benefit (the one whereby the DEPENDENT(S) receive a monthly payment for their educational expenses)?

IF we are speaking of the Chap 35 benefits, that monthly payment is made directly do the dependent that is enrolled in a recognized program for education AFTER graduation from high school (it can be a college, a tech school, etc.) and it can be for up through the age of 26 (trust me on this one, my son just graduated from his Masters Degree program at the University of Louisiana and he IS 26 and he received his $915 a month while taking a full semester's load, BUT, when during the Summer Semester's when he took, say, only 6 credit hours, they only paid him like 1/2 of the $915.....and, if he took NO clases during the summer, he received $0.00).

So, are we talking about the #1 or the #2?

#16 LarryJ

LarryJ

Hadit.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • 3214 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 10:56 AM

Also remember that Summer is an authorized break and you still get paid for it. If the child is in college, list the expected graduation date. That way you don't have to it every semester. You don't have to redo the form again uless the child changes schools or graduate early.

Well, actually, if you are enrolled in a college or university, that college will have someone in the admissions/scholarship/finance department that will keep track of your student's credit hours, attendance, GPA, etc. and this functionary will be the one that will certify attendance to the VA Chap 35 peeps. And, BTW, the student is the one that will receive the monthly checks, not the veteran. And, they won't receive a check for those months that they are not taking classes (no summer pay unless they are taking summer classes).

just sayin................

#17 pete992

pete992

• 1468 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 11:58 AM

LarryJ
Well, actually, if you are enrolled in a college or university, that college will have someone in the admissions/scholarship/finance department that will keep track of your student's credit hours, attendance, GPA, etc. and this functionary will be the one that will certify attendance to the VA Chap 35 peeps. And, BTW, the student is the one that will receive the monthly checks, not the veteran. And, they won't receive a check for those months that they are not taking classes (no summer pay unless they are taking summer classes).

just sayin................

I think we are talking about two separate different situations.

1. The first is a veteran that has a dependent child that is 18 or older and attending high school/ college or some type of training that lives at home or not and the veteran is not 100% service connected. The form would be VA form 21-674 for VA to approve the training of college or other training and if the dependent child stops attending classes or between semester changes to fill out the VA form 21-647b. The school may or may not complete this form and the veteran is responsible for overpayment. The veteran would receive this entitlement (money).

Note: Depending on the type of training VA may or may not pay for semester breaks.

2. The second is a veteran that has a dependent child that is 18 or older and attending college or some other type of training that lives at home or not and the veteran is 100% P & T service connected. The form would be VA form 22-5490 for VA to approve the training of college or other training and yes the school would complete the certification and the dependent child would receive this entitlement (money). This would be a chapter 35 program.

Note: Depending on the type of training VA may or may not pay for semester breaks.

Hope This Makes Sense

Edited by pete992, 19 July 2010 - 12:01 PM.

#18 LarryJ

LarryJ

Hadit.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • 3214 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 12:11 PM

1. The first is a veteran that has a dependent child that is 18 or older and attending high school/ college or some type of training that lives at home or not and the veteran is not 100% service connected. The form would be VA form 21-674 for VA to approve the training of college or other training and if the dependent child stops attending classes or between semester changes to fill out the VA form 21-647b. The school may or may not complete this form and the veteran is responsible for overpayment. The veteran would receive this entitlement (money).

2. The second is a veteran that has a dependent child that is 18 or older and attending college or some other type of training that lives at home or not and the veteran is 100% P & T service connected. The form would be VA form 22-5490 for VA to approve the training of college or other training and yes the school would complete the certification and the dependent child would receive this entitlement (money). This would be a chapter 35 program.

Hope This Makes Sense

OH, GEEEEZ, my head, it goes round and round and my brain....OUCH....it hurts! This is WAY TOO MUCH thinkin'........let the little shits get a job! :rolleyes:

#19 Wings

Wings

HadIt.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • 12762 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 01:25 PM

1. The first is a veteran that has a dependent child that is 18 or older and attending high school/ college or some type of training that lives at home or not and the veteran is not 100% service connected.

The form would be VA form 21-674 for VA to approve the training of college or other training and if the dependent child stops attending classes or between semester changes to fill out the VA form 21-647b. The school may or may not complete this form and the veteran is responsible for overpayment. The veteran would receive this entitlement (money).

2. The second is a veteran that has a dependent child that is 18 or older and attending college or some other type of training that lives at home or not and the veteran is 100% P & T service connected.

The form would be VA form 22-5490 for VA to approve the training of college or other training and yes the school would complete the certification and the dependent child would receive this entitlement (money). This would be a chapter 35 program.

Hope This Makes Sense

AWESOME!!! Good Work!!!

#20 CHIEF915

CHIEF915

E-3 Seaman

• Seaman
  • PipPipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 06:43 AM

Posted Image Salt Lake VA sent me a letter stating that my comp would go down due to my daughter turning 18. It gave directions to send in a school letterhead from the college she is enrolled in in the fall and her expected graduation date. Sent it in as requested got my brown envolope a month later, the increase, not decrease is effective 1 August 10. Nice increase at that.

#21 rdnkjeeper

rdnkjeeper

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 10:08 AM

I started this topic and I am NOT 100% so the 1st one applies.....Thanks, I have it already in.

#22 Tbird

Tbird

Founder HadIt.com established 1997

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 03:19 AM

Filing as soon as possible is all about your effective date which equals money in your pocket. You can also call the VA 1-800-827-1000 and file an informal claim with them, they will send you the forms you need, but your effective date will be the day the VA 800 number put in the informal claim. Effective Date is very Important.

x

x
x

By all means, find the right VA Form, tell her which one it is, she asked on the 4th of July amd didn't get an answer --that's almost a month's worth of basic rate. ~Wings

#23 Wings

Wings

HadIt.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • 12762 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 09:44 AM

Filing as soon as possible is all about your effective date which equals money in your pocket. You can also call the VA 1-800-827-1000 and file an informal claim with them, they will send you the forms you need, but your effective date will be the day the VA 800 number put in the informal claim. Effective Date is very Important.

Thank you Tbird, For re-stating the obvious! The veteran needs only to properly identify himself and state their claim in writing: on a plain piece of paper. The VA is REQUIRED to provide/forward the necessery FORMS. A mailing address is necessary too. You can use a street addy, PO Box, friend's house, domicilary, etc. You file the claim, first to establish the effective date. ~Wings

#24 retiredat44

retiredat44

• 783 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 02:24 PM

Thanks

my daughter also turned 18 and is starting college in the fall.. she is going through the financial aide officer at the college..
I did call the VA and they told me which forms to download and other info..

also,
SSDI will continue some payments for the child that is between 18 and 24 (I thin..) as long as there is proof provided to SSDI of the dependant contiuing education..

Edited by retiredat44, 21 July 2010 - 02:26 PM.

#25 LarryJ

LarryJ

Hadit.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • 3214 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 04:27 PM

x
x
x

I am going to state the obvious:

WHY didn't YOU tell her? Instead of twisting off on me for not telling her, after all, you were the one that responded to her FIRST and did not tell her.

BTW, the reason that I did NOT respond sooner than this to her enquiry is the simple fact that I've been kinda BUSY, what with trying to help my OTHER veterans that ALSO need help and that have sought ME out to help them.

Sheeeesh, but I'm tired.

Edited by LarryJ, 21 July 2010 - 04:27 PM.

#26 carlie

carlie

Moderator/Admin/HadIt.com Elder/SVR Radio Panelist

• Admin
  • 22155 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 05:59 PM

Just for clarification purposes :

Pete992 posted a link to the OP the same day this topic began.

#27 Wings

Wings

HadIt.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • 12762 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 10:49 PM

I am going to state the obvious:

WHY didn't YOU tell her? Instead of twisting off on me for not telling her, after all, you were the one that responded to her FIRST and did not tell her.

BTW, the reason that I did NOT respond sooner than this to her enquiry is the simple fact that I've been kinda BUSY, what with trying to help my OTHER veterans that ALSO need help and that have sought ME out to help them.

Sheeeesh, but I'm tired.

x
x
x

"my other veterans" lol!

Larry, I did not KNOW which FORMS were the correct ones, so I left that to the professionals. I just know that you gotta fill out all the papers the VA sends you (on time) --but I also know you can write the VA on a plain piece of paper, and then hope the service officers can de-code the handwriting later on down the claims messy history lol! Sorry larry, I am tired too. ~Wings

#28 LarryJ

LarryJ

Hadit.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • 3214 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 11:47 AM

x
x
x

"my other veterans" lol! Yes, believe it or not I have, at last count, 227 veterans that I hold Power of Attorney for, and have filed various claims, etc., for them. I know that you must find that "funny" but, I do not, and it's to them that I owe my primary responsibility, and Hadit.com comes second along with the posters on the hadit board. Funny, maybe, but I'm not laughing.

Larry, I did not KNOW which FORMS were the correct ones, so I left that to the professionals. I just know that you gotta fill out all the papers the VA sends you (on time) --but I also know you can write the VA on a plain piece of paper, and then hope the service officers can de-code the handwriting later on down the claims messy history lol! Sorry larry, I am tired too. ~Wings

#29 carlie

carlie

Moderator/Admin/HadIt.com Elder/SVR Radio Panelist

• Admin
  • 22155 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 01:10 PM

Hey - there is no need for all this.

The OP's post was answered correctly ON THE SAME day the post was made.
Pete992 provided a link to the correct VA Form on July 4 th.

Can't we all just remember we are all volunteers and people choose to answer what
they feel they can add OR NOT ANSWER - it's the volunteers prerogative.

#30 Wings

Wings

HadIt.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • 12762 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 01:12 PM

x
x
x

I'm sorry Larry. 227 Veterans is about 226 too many for me. I can only, barely take care of myself. I come to Hadit.com to maybe, just maybe, possibly -- pass on something of valuable along the way. And I think you missed the point I was sayin: that yes, I agree with you --it is best to send the correct form in the first instance --IF the veteran has a computer and IF the veterans has printer, ink, paper, etc, but I would not discorage a veteran from writing a letter to the best of his or her abilty and mail it to the VA ASAP. This is to establish the effective date of claim. The VA is supposed to send the correct form, it's on them! I don't know what you are SC for, maybe some PTSD, but it dooes sort of mess with our sense of humor. "my veterans" simply means that I am not one of yours lol! I'll try to lighten up a little ;-) ~Wings

#31 renee

renee

E-3 Seaman

• Seaman
  • PipPipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 08:47 PM

how does dea apply to a deceased veteran not rated at 100%?

Advertise Here