Search

Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  carlie : (28 October 2014 - 03:42 PM) Reelnrod - Just Pick A Topic That Corresponds To Your Stuff And Post It
@  reelnrod : (28 October 2014 - 10:11 AM) So, How Do I Post A Topic?
@  Thadine : (28 October 2014 - 08:21 AM) Irrrl
@  Thadine : (28 October 2014 - 08:18 AM) Fishing License
@  Thadine : (28 October 2014 - 08:14 AM) Thadine Quick
@  red : (27 October 2014 - 12:14 PM) Anyone Heard Any Updates On Flying Space A For 100% Disabled Vets?
@  maxwell18 : (27 October 2014 - 10:49 AM) I Did Contact My Congressman Jeff Miller, Let's See What Will Happen
@  maxwell18 : (27 October 2014 - 10:48 AM) @britton
@  Tbird : (27 October 2014 - 04:26 AM) Thank You Larry S For Your Contribution To Our Funding Campaign
@  britton : (26 October 2014 - 07:33 PM) Everyone (Veteran's) Should Recive A Memo From The Dept Of Veterans Affairs ****notification Of Medication Scheduling Change****
@  britton : (26 October 2014 - 07:24 PM) Meds That Are Consider To Be Schedule Ii Narcotic...pain Meds Like Hydrocodone Ectt Ect,,
@  britton : (26 October 2014 - 07:22 PM) As I Understand We Only Can See The Va Dr's Every 28 Days To Renew Our Prescription Meds A New Law Went Into Effect Oct 6Th 2014....i Only See Problems Problems Problems With This...grrrrr
@  maxwell18 : (26 October 2014 - 03:52 PM) This Is Maxwell18 Would The Person Who Contacted Me (Vern2) Please Contact Me Again, I Attemped To E Mail You It Returned No Reply. Thanks
@  Tbird : (26 October 2014 - 05:12 AM) Thank You Maxwell18 For Your Contribution To Our Funding Campaign.
@  Notorious Kelly : (25 October 2014 - 07:53 PM) Max- Contact Your Congressman- Dea Has Got Docs So Cowed They're Afraid To Dispense Tylenol
@  maxwell18 : (25 October 2014 - 07:10 PM) Anybody Having Problems Getting Pain Pills (Norco) Filled Us Navy Base (Nas Whiting Fld Milton Fl). Had A Prescription For 90 Norco Pills For 30 Days, 3 A Day For Pain, Got 30 For 30 Days. That Will Last Me 10 Days. Another Thing That Our Government Is Screwing With Us. I Don't Know What To Do, Don't Want To To The Va, Don't Know What They Will Either. Anybody Goy Any Ideas. 
@  Burt : (25 October 2014 - 10:28 AM) Does Anyone Else Here Wear A Don Joy Armor Knee Brace From The Va?
@  red : (24 October 2014 - 10:10 AM) Any News On Space A Flying?
@  Tbird : (23 October 2014 - 05:07 PM) Correction Jan 20. 2015 Will Be Hadit.com's 18 Year Anniversary
@  Tbird : (23 October 2014 - 11:38 AM) Jan 20, 2015 Will Be Hadit.com's 19 Year Anniversary, That's Amazing.

Photo

Calcified Granuloma In Lung

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 troyez

troyez

E-3 Seaman

• Seaman
  • PipPipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 12:49 AM

After a chest X-ray for a respiratory infection, and subsequent CT scan, I found out that I have a calcified granuloma in my right lung. I've heard that it is caused by some foreign body that was inhaled into the lung (mold, asbestos, etc.), and that it may or may not be serious. I've had moderate pain in the area for the last 2+ years, but thought it was from an old rib injury. I lived in several different barracks (old) while in the Army, and the last building had black mold growing on all the air ducts, above the dropped ceiling tiles there was asbestos tape on the pipes, and rats infested the building. I am not exaggerating one iota; it was B quad of Schofield Barracks (the old buildings), in case you're wondering. I lived in the barracks the entire 3 yrs I was in the Army, so I breathed whatever was in my room(s). We who lived in the barracks complained to our chain of command about the mold, asbestos, and rats, but our 1SG told us we could always stay in tents instead of the rooms.
Before I was discharged I filmed the black mold on the vents, and did a home mold test on the room, and have kept the tape and the mold test results.
My question is, do I have a case with the VA for calcified granuloma in my lung?
I'm pretty worried about whether it is from asbestos or mold (or rat crap!). Ideas?

#2 Berta

Berta

HadIt.com Elder/SVR Radio Panelist

• SVR
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28856 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 07:54 AM

I would file a claim if I were you.

http://www.mayoclini...anuloma/AN00830

It doesn't sound serious but then again could it cause additional problems? I dont know.

Histoplasmosis - the calcification- can come from mold.

There are many other problems but if you have inservice proof of black mold exposure ( which made me ill once-that stuff is awful) you could use the inservice photos as evidence of exposure.

It is possible VA wll try to say that post service exposures to mold etc caused this. I dont know how soon the calcfication would show up in an Z ray.Or after exposure but if you do a little research on the net , it will help you determine if this is a ratable condition and if yo had any other inservice exposures that could cause it.

Even if they award but only at "0' or 10 % if this somehow aggravates any further lung conditions (which I hope you never get) then the SC would have been established for it and VA would have to rate the level of aggravation.

#3 Berta

Berta

HadIt.com Elder/SVR Radio Panelist

• SVR
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28856 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 08:00 AM

This BVA decision gives some rating information for this disability.

http://www4.va.gov/v...es3/0029081.txt

Did you have any bronchial or respiratory problems noted in your SMRs? DO you have those problems now?

A search under your condition at the BVA web site will reveal about 400 claims with this condition noted.

If I were you I would read some of the most recent ones to see what evidence the VA might need.

Edited by Berta, 09 July 2010 - 08:01 AM.

#4 *Bergie*

*Bergie*

E-7 Chief Petty Officer

• Content Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 549 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 12:19 PM

After a chest X-ray for a respiratory infection, and subsequent CT scan, I found out that I have a calcified granuloma in my right lung. I've heard that it is caused by some foreign body that was inhaled into the lung (mold, asbestos, etc.), and that it may or may not be serious. I've had moderate pain in the area for the last 2+ years, but thought it was from an old rib injury. I lived in several different barracks (old) while in the Army, and the last building had black mold growing on all the air ducts, above the dropped ceiling tiles there was asbestos tape on the pipes, and rats infested the building. I am not exaggerating one iota; it was B quad of Schofield Barracks (the old buildings), in case you're wondering. I lived in the barracks the entire 3 yrs I was in the Army, so I breathed whatever was in my room(s). We who lived in the barracks complained to our chain of command about the mold, asbestos, and rats, but our 1SG told us we could always stay in tents instead of the rooms.
Before I was discharged I filmed the black mold on the vents, and did a home mold test on the room, and have kept the tape and the mold test results.
My question is, do I have a case with the VA for calcified granuloma in my lung?
I'm pretty worried about whether it is from asbestos or mold (or rat crap!). Ideas?

You really need to stay on top of this, it is something that cuold be caused by any number of things none of which are good. You will probably need a biopsy to determine the exact cause, for this they will do a bronchoscopy. I recommend you ask for a referal to pulmonology, they are the ones whowill do the bronch. If you don't mind would you keep me posted of the outcome.
Bergie