Search

Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Tbird : (22 November 2014 - 04:54 PM) Tbird Accepted To 2015 Conference: V-Wise: Another Entrepreneurship Project Of The Whitman School Of Management Http://ow.ly/ej9Qg
@  Tbird : (22 November 2014 - 04:13 PM) Arng11 Thank You For Your Contribution To Our Funding Campaign.
@  britton : (22 November 2014 - 02:57 PM) Thank You Ms T For Starting This Web Site For All Veterans, You Helpd Me And My Family And I'll Be Forever Gratful To You & Hadit.com
@  Tbird : (22 November 2014 - 08:19 AM) Thank You All For Helping With The Funding The Site. It Is Really Helping!
@  Tbird : (22 November 2014 - 08:18 AM) Britton Pm Me And I. Can Check This Out For You
@  britton : (22 November 2014 - 06:44 AM) What Does ''you Missed Your Quota For Postives Votes Today'' Mean??
@  coriemboh : (19 November 2014 - 08:29 AM) Hold Time For Peggy Was Approximately 1 Minute. That Was 17 Minutes Ago. They Really Need To Change This Hold Music.
@  Tbird : (17 November 2014 - 02:42 PM) Stretch Thanks For The Extra Contribution To Our Fundraiser This Month.
@  maxwell18 : (16 November 2014 - 09:04 PM) I Still Have To Bitch About The Navy Hosp Cutting My Meds By 2/3 On My Norco. I Contacted Customer Service Or What Ever You Want To Call It Who In Turn Contacted The Navy Hosp Pensacola Commander Who In Turn Did Nothing. Thanks To All The People That Are Affair Of There Jobs And I Feel That Medical Malpractice Should Come Into Place. I Guess Just Do What Ever They Want To Because They Can, But Don't Give A Sh T For The Vets That Suppose To Being Supporting From All The Military  organizations. This Is Not The Way They Have Been Trained And Promised To Do. 
@  carlie : (16 November 2014 - 11:26 AM) Delayed Onset Tinnitus - Ref To Va Training Letter 10-028 - Link - Http://veteranclaims.wordpress.com/2014/05/06/single-Judge-Application-Va-Training-Letter-10-028-Delayed-Onset-Tinnitus/
@  carlie : (16 November 2014 - 11:03 AM) Here's A Good Tinnitus Link To Check Out From M21-1 Change Dated Jan 10,2014 - Http://veteranclaims.wordpress.com/tag/section-B-Duty-Military-Occupational-Specialty-Mos-Noise-Exposure-Listing-Fast-Letter-10-35-Tinnitus-Hearing-Loss-Vbms-Rating-Decision-Tools/
@  Asiadaug : (16 November 2014 - 02:08 AM) "rolled" Not Ruled! :)
@  Asiadaug : (16 November 2014 - 02:07 AM) Thanks. I Have Seen The Fast Ltr 10-35 And Have Seen Cases Where The Va Has Apparently Agreed That Tinnitus Can Have Delayed Onset. I Did Not In Looking Over The Fast Ltr See Where They Had Ruled 10-028 Into That. And, I Am Not Sure In The Vas Issuance Of ‘policy’ Type Letters How They Might Roll In Previous Instructions Into Newer Ones. Maybe There Is Some Intranet Traceability Capability? I Was Just Curious As There ‘appeared’ To Be Conspicuous Absence Of That 10-028. I Am Assuming 10-028 Was Written In 2010. But It May Be I Should Not Assume Anything.
@  carlie : (15 November 2014 - 05:56 PM) Asiadaug - You Might Be Looking For Fast Letter 10-35, Http://www.hadit.com/forums/topic/40962-Va-Fl-10-35/ Also Check Out This Link To Links For Delayed Onset Tinnitus - They All Refer Back To Fast Letter 10-35, Https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=Chrome-Instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=Utf-8#q=Tinnitus, Delayed Onset, Va Fast Letter
@  Tbird : (15 November 2014 - 07:50 AM) Asiadaug Searched All Over For Va Training Letter 10-028 But No Luck So Far.
@  Asiadaug : (15 November 2014 - 02:12 AM) Several Cases I've Run Across Mention Va Training Letter 10-028 With Apparent Discussion About Delayed Onset Of Tinnitus. I Have Been Unable To Locate That Trng Ltr. Any Suggestions?
@  Tbird : (12 November 2014 - 05:56 PM) Stretch Thanks For Contributing To Our Fundraising Campairg
@  Tbird : (12 November 2014 - 04:01 AM) Atomicwidow Thank Your For Donating To Our Funding Campaign.
@  Tbird : (11 November 2014 - 07:00 AM) Veterans Day 2014 - Veterans Thank You For Your Service And Your Sacrifice.
@  Tbird : (10 November 2014 - 07:19 AM) Semper Fi Marines

Photo
- - - - -

Chronic Encephalomalacia/post-traumatic Encephalopathy

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 RockyA1911

RockyA1911

E-6 Petty Officer 1st Class

• Senior Chief Petty Officer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 27 May 2006 - 06:39 PM

I have a report from the VA neurologist that diagnosed

"Post Traumatic Encephalopathy, this is (more probable than not) as a result of service connected open head injury (chronic encephalomalacia seen on MRI)."

He explained that it is old dried blood, dead or dying neurons, and dead tissue intermingled with live tissue and live neurons of the brain.

I'm trying to find out if this is something that warrants a claim and if so where exactly can I find it in the CFR 38 as rateable?

Is encephalomalacia the same as atrophy? I just found a good link for medical definitions and it said encephalomalacia is "Loss of tissue and/or softening of the brain due to injury, infarction, etc." It said it gets worse over time and with age.

There has to be some way to claim this as softening of the brain is no joking matter and causes increased cognitive disorders with more tissue dying all the time as the years go by.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Semper Fi,

RockyA

Edited by RockyA1911, 27 May 2006 - 07:00 PM.

#2 Hoppy

Hoppy

HadIt.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1529 posts

Posted 27 May 2006 - 09:59 PM

RockyA

Stay on it. He could wind up 100% sooner than you would like. I had a freind with this same condition. I used to go to his doctors appointments with him. His doctor showed me the MRI's. The cognitive loss became very noticable. Short term memory loss was the big problem. He could not remember the last time he ate, took meds etc. He once was a nice dresser. After the symptoms started he would go days without bathing or changing his clothes. Social services came out because a neighbor complained that he was endanger. He did not want to be hospitalized and as long as he could remember where he lived social services would not force hospitalization.

Atrophy just means shrinking. It is pretty much the same as that big word they are using, encephalomalacia. That doctors report should get things rolling. File it with a formal claim, It sounds pretty strong. They could rate it on symptoms of a psychiatric condition due to organic brain injury. The DSM IV has provisions for medical conditions that cause cognitive loss. Get a psychiatric evaluation.

#3 Berta

Berta

HadIt.com Elder/SVR Radio Panelist

• SVR
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29013 posts

Posted 28 May 2006 - 07:22 AM

Ricky- this claim might help you-
this is a ratable condtion according to its affect-

http://www.va.gov/ve...es2/9214657.txt

It states:

"The veteran developed post-traumatic encephalopathy
following an inservice motorcycle accident which resulted in
a closed head injury. A rating board action of December
1986 granted service connection for post-traumatic
encephalopathy and assigned a 30 percent evaluation for this
disorder, effective November 8, 1986. This evaluation has
been confirmed and continued thereafter.

Under the criteria of Diagnostic Code 8045, a 10 percent
evaluation is the maximum assignable for complaints such as
headaches which are recognized as symptomatic of brain
trauma. Ratings in excess of 10 percent require utilization
of Diagnostic Code 9304 for nonpsychotic organic brain
syndrome with brain trauma. According to the criteria of
Diagnostic Code 9304, a 30 percent evaluation is warranted
for post-traumatic encephalopathy with symptoms which result
in definite impairment of social and industrial
adaptability. A 50 percent evaluation warrants
symptomatology which results in considerable impairment of
social and industrial adaptability. A 70 percent evaluation
requires severe impairment of social and industrial
adaptability."

This claim involves secondary conditions due to SC encephalopathy:

http://www.va.gov/ve...es4/9930148.txt

ORDER

An increased 100 percent rating for residuals of
encephalopathy with an anxiety disorder and headaches is
granted.

#4 RockyA1911

RockyA1911

E-6 Petty Officer 1st Class

• Senior Chief Petty Officer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 28 May 2006 - 01:04 PM

Thanks both of you, that helped a lot! Hey Hoppy, I have had the psychiatric, psychology, neurology, and neuropsychology exams and evaluations already. I just put together a formal claim as an additional condition to my now pending claim conditions. I will send it off priority mail Tuesday morning. I have one more C&P exam June 7th for Tinnitus and hopefully I am done and they can get on with adjudicating my claim. I hope this new condition (that the neurologist proved existed since the injury occured in 1972) doesn't start the whole process all over again with the VA as I have been waiting 16 months already and now just awaiting the tinnitus thing. So far I have pending claims with completed exams with diagnosis of:

Skull Loss 4.5 x 4.5 cm
Cognitive Disorder, NOS
Mood Disorder, NOS
Depression, NOS
Chronic PTSD
Disfiguring Scar on head (surgical)
Skin Disorder, NOS
Post-Traumatic Encephalopathy

All of the above with the exception of skin disorder and PTSD are related to already service connected head injury of which I am currently rated at 10% Post concussion residuals. I sure hope they provide an increase of more than the 10% I am currently getting.

The skull loss was claimed in Nov 1976, evaluated and examined by the VA (VA documents as proof from C-File) but there was never an adjudication for it so that one is still considered a 30 year open claim even though it is documented in the same rating decision that awarded 10% for post concussion residuals, left temporal lobe, chronic due to brain trauma.

The VA Neuropsychologist stated that in a social and employment settings he is severly compromised and the civilian psychiatrist stated I am disabled and unemployable as a result of his condition.

Hopefully after the C&P for tinnitus in June I should hear something withing a few months from then, I hope.

Hoppy, I'm not going to get my hopes up as I know what the VA can do as far as rating claims. Two vets with identical conditions can leave one with 10% and the other 100% for the same conditions. Would a 100% be great, you betcha but good things like that never happen to me, but it would be very nice.

Thanks again all for the great info, it really helped me a lot.

Semper Fi,

Rocky

PS: Berta........again and again the name is Rocky not Ricky :^)!