Photo
- - - - -

Peripherial Neuropathy Ratings Code

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
21 replies to this topic

#1 Philip Rogers

Philip Rogers

HadIt.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3692 posts

Posted 14 August 2010 - 12:20 PM

Could someone please post the ratings code number that PN is rated under? Thanks!

pr

#2 johnjjr

johnjjr

E-5 Petty Officer 2nd Class

• Chief Petty Officers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 14 August 2010 - 12:55 PM

PR,

Part 4 subpart 4.124a PN codes start at 8205 thuu8540

#3 Berta

Berta

HadIt.com Elder/SVR Radio Panelist

• SVR
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28053 posts

Posted 14 August 2010 - 12:59 PM

I found a 2010 PN BVA decision that coded the PN as:

Lower extremity PN 8521

Upper extremity PN 8512

#4 Berta

Berta

• SVR
  • 28053 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 07:34 AM

I sure didn't mean to appear to question the info John posted.

We see PN a lot that is rated under the 2 DCs I posted.

However I went to the Schedule of ratings that he posted and it seems there can be many causes of nerve impingement or disability which may or may not be PN but service connectable as secondary to something else. As within this BVA decision.

http://www4.va.gov/v...es2/1017670.txt

If the diagnosis is clearly PN the VA will probably use one or both of the above codes I posted but the info John gave us certainly caused me to think about how severe a nerve iompingement could be and if claimed as PN but it isnt PN, then VA could deny the PN claim and overlook that the vet has a secondary nerve impingement that is causing more disability.

#5 retiredat44

retiredat44

E-8 Senior Chief Petty Officer

• Senior Chief Petty Officer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 762 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 07:38 AM

those diagnosed with Peripherial Neuropathy , I would like to hear what caused it, was it from active duty, what are your symptoms, what percentage were you assigned totoal or per limb?

thanx..

I have it, but have not gotten back my C&P exams yet..
It appears these diseases are so damned comlicated,, I have no clue about this stuff..

IMHO

#6 johnjjr

johnjjr

• Chief Petty Officers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 10:11 AM

Berta,

My PN is rated under 8520 for lower and 8516 for upper. Seems they have a different code for each nerve or group of nerves involved.

#7 CHIEF915

CHIEF915

E-3 Seaman

• Seaman
  • PipPipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 06:41 AM

those diagnosed with Peripherial Neuropathy , I would like to hear what caused it, was it from active duty, what are your symptoms, what percentage were you assigned totoal or per limb?

thanx..

I have it, but have not gotten back my C&P exams yet..
It appears these diseases are so damned comlicated,, I have no clue about this stuff..

IMHO

Diabettes and 10% per limb

#8 Berta

Berta

• SVR
  • 28053 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 07:25 AM

John - i always learn something new here and your post sure enlightened me.

You are right as to the affected nerve groups. I need to look into the rating schedule on all that.

This info you gave us could help many here to get the proper ratings for any nerve involvements like PN. THANKS!!!!!!

#9 retiredat44

retiredat44

E-8 Senior Chief Petty Officer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 762 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 08:39 AM

I failed the test where you walk on your toes and heels.. my limbs are in pain, burning. weakness. I suffer from edema swelling, and of course I tremble and shake with tremors.. and cannot hold balance without the aide of a cane..
I cannot say the diagnosis until my c&p results are released.

that why I am curious what symptoms people have.. and what they feel..

I sort of understand the diabetes (which they say I do not thave..),, as you can have loss of feeing, edema,,, etc..

how they assign it to 1,2,3,4 limbs.. that's where confusing starts...

Edited by retiredat44, 16 August 2010 - 08:51 AM.

#10 johnjjr

johnjjr

• Chief Petty Officers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 09:35 AM

Chief,
Did they rate you using the bilateral factor for the PN?

#11 CHIEF915

CHIEF915

E-3 Seaman

• Seaman
  • PipPipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 01:48 PM

Chief,
Did they rate you using the bilateral factor for the PN?

To be honest with you, I'm not sure. My letter stated 10% both upper extremities and 10% both lower extremities. the PN was added in with PTSD at the same time and took me up to 100% schedular P & T from 90%. So I never looked into the bilateral as I was at 100 now and happy.

#12 johnjjr

johnjjr

• Chief Petty Officers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 02:08 PM

Cool. Don't matter how you get there as long as there you're there.

#13 Philip Rogers

Philip Rogers

HadIt.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3692 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 03:07 PM

I was curious cuz I've just been diagnosed w/PN, in both feet, and was trying to figure out if that'll raise my DB-II rating or if it will be a separate rating.

pr

#14 johnjjr

johnjjr

• Chief Petty Officers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 04:22 PM

PR,

Although DM II can cause PN, PN won't raise your DM II rating. They are rated separately. When you get rated for the PN, make sure they use the bilateral factor, if justified.

#15 COOL BREEZE

COOL BREEZE

E-7 Chief Petty Officer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 11:25 AM

Could someone please post the ratings code number that PN is rated under? Thanks!

pr

I would like to know that answer as well. VA foot doctor told me I have that as well. how was it diagnosed? By me describing symptoms! I was then prescribed 600 mg of gabaten daily. Now I wonder how the VA is going to rate this as they couldn't do a nerve study.

#16 johnjjr

johnjjr

• Chief Petty Officers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 01:09 PM

PR & CB,

The rating code for PN in feet can be found in Title 38, Part 4, 4.124a - Neurological conditions and convulsive disorders,
starting at 8520 and ending at 8540.

Hope this helps.

#17 johnjjr

johnjjr

• Chief Petty Officers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 01:28 PM

Cool Breeze,
I'm rated w/severe PN in both hands and both feet. I take 200 mg topiramate per day which seems to control the pain.
When you go for your PN C & P exam the Doc will probably do a sock and glove test and a vibration test. I was tested at the VAMC, using their
out-dated equipment and got a mild DX. After waitng 6 months to get an appt with a pvt neurologist, his modern equipment showed severe PN all
around. If you can afford it, see a pvt neurologist for a dx and submit that with your claim.

JMHO

Edited by johnjjr, 16 September 2010 - 01:29 PM.

#18 COOL BREEZE

COOL BREEZE

E-7 Chief Petty Officer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 02:07 PM

Cool Breeze,
I'm rated w/severe PN in both hands and both feet. I take 200 mg topiramate per day which seems to control the pain.
When you go for your PN C & P exam the Doc will probably do a sock and glove test and a vibration test. I was tested at the VAMC, using their
out-dated equipment and got a mild DX. After waitng 6 months to get an appt with a pvt neurologist, his modern equipment showed severe PN all
around. If you can afford it, see a pvt neurologist for a dx and submit that with your claim.

JMHO

What was your rating for this? THe foot clinic at the VA during a routine visit said I had that. Thats why I included this on my current huge claim which is at the decision stage. THe doctor at the comp exam rolled something around my foot, put down I had PN in in my feet as well. I have been on 600 mg for this issue for about a year. I am currently rated 0% for foot pain, so I don't know where this is going to wind up. My feet are always on fire, burning sensation , tingling, medicine don't help. It just makes me sleepy along with all the blood pressure medicine I take. I heard all you get is for this is 10% bilaterally.

#19 john999

john999

HadIt.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • 21828 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 04:45 PM

They rate you on each limb. I got 10% on hands and feet. The truth is there is no objective test for PN that is conclusive. It is subjective to some extent. If you have more than 10% from the VA then you have it bad. It starts hands and feet and moves toward the trunk. Most people get it from DMII, but some get idiopathic type which means they don't know why you have it.

#20 COOL BREEZE

COOL BREEZE

E-7 Chief Petty Officer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 05:06 PM

They rate you on each limb. I got 10% on hands and feet. The truth is there is no objective test for PN that is conclusive. It is subjective to some extent. If you have more than 10% from the VA then you have it bad. It starts hands and feet and moves toward the trunk. Most people get it from DMII, but some get idiopathic type which means they don't know why you have it.

So, I guess if they rate for this, that will be another 10% on the new claim. However, I was given a 0% for just regular feet, I wonder if this will be rated separately, or as PN.

#21 johnjjr

johnjjr

• Chief Petty Officers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 06:58 PM

Cool Breeze,
As I stated before, I have severe PN in both feet and hands. I am rated at 40% bilaterally for my feet, 30% for my left hand (dominant) and 20% for my right hand. These are the highest ratings you can get without marked muscle atrophy. My pvt neurologist conducted emg/ncv studies which confirmed the presence of severe PN and the VA accepted his DX over their own neurologist. When they grant your claim, make sure they use the bilateral factor if justified.

#22 COOL BREEZE

COOL BREEZE

E-7 Chief Petty Officer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 04:46 PM

The Va didn't include any rating, or info on this claim- that was just completed it was left out completely out-really baffled. Maybe because I couldn't do the shock test.