Search

Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup
@  vet201060 : (22 August 2014 - 10:29 AM) Thanks For The Info
@  carlie : (22 August 2014 - 10:03 AM) Vet201060 - No The Vso Does Not Represent The Va. Also - Best To Post Questions To The Board.
@  babyray : (21 August 2014 - 07:15 AM) Dc
@  rootbeer22 : (20 August 2014 - 02:19 PM) Buddy Statements
@  IraqVet : (19 August 2014 - 07:02 PM) Anyone Recieveing Letters From Vfw To Applay For Tricare And Campava Supplimantal Insurance When You Do Not Have 100% Yet....mines Pending But I Wonder If They Know Something I Dont
@  Detonator : (19 August 2014 - 10:51 AM) Insomnia
@  jbasser : (18 August 2014 - 08:29 PM) Folks, Dont Miss The Hadit Radio Show Wed At 1Pm Eastern. The Basser Hour.
@  Thadine : (18 August 2014 - 12:23 PM) Nod
@  carlie : (18 August 2014 - 08:37 AM) Notapb1 - Might Get More Replies If You Post The Questions Into The Forums.
@  notapb1 : (18 August 2014 - 07:26 AM) Looking For Feedback. I Have Applied For Iu. Was Told To Come In For A Psych Eval And Diabetes Clinic. Received A Call From Va They Were Cancelling The Psych Eval As The Doc(?) Who Did It In March(Ptsd Increase) Was Asked For His Opinion And He Was Going To Submit That. This Is The Same Individual Who Told Me Off The Record About Iu And To Contact My Service Officer. Sounds Positive To Me, But I May Be A Little Bias. Thoughts?
@  waltbarb : (16 August 2014 - 08:35 PM) Appeal
@  MarkInTexas : (16 August 2014 - 04:49 PM) Just Testing This "shout" Thing....... Have A Great Weekend Everybody!
@  Notorious Kelly : (16 August 2014 - 04:40 PM) I Reset Firefox And Now Can Read- Probably Kok Issue (Kitties On The Keyboard)
@  Notorious Kelly : (16 August 2014 - 04:25 PM) I Couldn't Read Posts So I Changed Theme To Ipboard Mobile. Now I Can Read And It Says Hadit Custom
@  carlie : (16 August 2014 - 03:32 PM) Raymondb50 - Probably Better To Post Your Question To The Board.
@  carlie : (16 August 2014 - 03:15 PM) Raymondbb50 - What Is It That You Want ?
@  raymondb50 : (15 August 2014 - 09:47 PM) How Do I Change Member Title And Group Info In My Profile?
@  carlie : (15 August 2014 - 08:37 PM) Just Saying Hi To All
@  WoundedWarrior : (14 August 2014 - 08:50 AM) Got Unofficial Word From The Vso - Unofficially Approved For Tdiu, Effective Date 6/3/2014
@  mrmark1999 : (13 August 2014 - 06:23 PM) Ok When You Call The 1800 # You Feel Like They Allways Have Heavy Call Volume

Photo
- - - - -

Has Anyone Here Ever Used A Real Lawyer To Fight The Va?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 retiredat44

retiredat44

E-8 Senior Chief Petty Officer

• Senior Chief Petty Officer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 782 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 05:55 AM

Has anyone here ever used a real lawyer to fight the VA? Was it successful? Did you try the VA service organizations too? etc.. etc..
Thanx..

Advertise Here

#2 71M10

71M10

• 1224 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 07:13 AM

Problem is "real lawyers" want "real money" and the laws and VA regulations specifically insure that "real money" will never be provided to lawyers who take veterans claims.

Since they are not allowed to work on a fee basis( I think the law does or did say $20) until the vet is in appeal status and then they are relegated to a % of the accrued benefits. In rare instances further on in the appeal process (CAVC I think) if the Governments position is found to be unreasonable then payments are available under the equal opportunity for justice act (not positive on the name).

This arrangement has provided VA cover for many years, but I am seeing some very good lawyers and organizations (not your traditional VSOs) begin to get some traction on making VA accountable for its worst infractions.

Your stereotypical "Pit Bull" lawyers don't find enough money or recognition (for thier egos).

Best regards,

Tyler

#3 justrluk

justrluk

• 813 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 07:19 AM

It's sad, really. Makes me want to go to law school just to practice in an area so desperately needed. Would be an excellent use of the Post 9/11.

#4 john999

john999

HadIt.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22189 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 07:57 AM

I have a lawyer who is fighting for me right now on my CUE that goes back to 1971. If there is a chance of a good payday the lawyers are there. You have to file a claim and get a NOD to hire the lawyer. Just do a generic NOD if you plan to get a lawyer and let them take it from there. If there is retro involved and you have a good case I think you can get someone to represent you.

#5 Berta

Berta

HadIt.com Elder/SVR Radio Panelist

• SVR
  • 28595 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 08:34 AM

Carrie Weletz from Bergmann and Moore gave their contact info out on this SVR show available in our SVR archives.

http://www.svr-radio.com/archives.html

She said if the claim was denied but even if the NOD has not been prepared yet, they can assess the claim.

#6 Bonzai

Bonzai

E-6 Petty Officer 1st Class

• Chief Petty Officers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 08:54 AM

I hired a lawyer I found through the National Organization of Veterans Advocates (NOVA) website, and he helped me prepare my NOD. I had all the information gathered, but he really help me organize it and the wording to be used. I won on the NOD and didn't have to go to a hearing. After the win, he didn't charge me a cent because he said my case was a slam dunk and he really didn't do that much to help me. I am not saying all NOVA lawyers would have done the same though.

That being said, I also have the same lawyer for my SSDI case, and we are battling it out tooth and nail with the SSA. We are at level three (Social Security Appeals Council), and my lawyer says he will take my case to District Court if we lose the appeal.

#7 carlie

carlie

Moderator/Admin/HadIt.com Elder/SVR Radio Panelist

• Admin
  • 22009 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 09:59 AM

retired,
You also may want to research the forum below.

http://www.hadit.com...ions-on-s-3421/

#8 LarryJ

LarryJ

Hadit.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3214 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 10:11 AM

...........................and, this site, also, which is a "branch" of legal aide inc.

http://statesidelegal.org/

By-the-way, Jim Strickland is a member of the Board of Directors.

Edited by LarryJ, 20 September 2010 - 10:17 AM.

#9 Chuck75

Chuck75

HadIt.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • 1434 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 12:08 PM

The "service orgs" are often not very effective in obtaining proper veteran's compensation.
Lawyers who are well qualified to do veteran's VA cases, and are good at it don't grow on trees.
That said, my lawyer will be getting a check from the VA for several thousand fairly soon. (And the fight has just begun!)
One original claim was filed within a few months of separation. If I can find the supporting paper, it will be a CUE.
The decision that entitled the lawyer to remuneration was obviously "lo-balled", and for unmentioned reasons, also a potential "CUE".
Let's just say that the VA often ignores law and regulations that favor a veteran's case.

Has anyone here ever used a real lawyer to fight the VA? Was it successful? Did you try the VA service organizations too? etc.. etc..
Thanx..

#10 Testvet

Testvet

HadIt.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2478 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 04:07 PM

since July 2007 veterans have been allowed to hire lawyers to handle their claims once they are denied and the veteran decides to enter the appeals process even at the VARO level they are by law allowed to collect 20% of back pay they secure for their clients the veterans, SSA limits the lawyers in SSD claims to 25% or a maximum of 5300 dollars plus reasonable expenses there are a lot of lawyers that handle VA appeals and more are being trained all the time I have dealt with a NOVA lawyer myself they took my cardiac condition as a pro bono case in July 2007 and within 18 months I had my CAD and hypertension SC as secondary to my PTSD

I would much rather pay a lawyer 20% of whatever back pay there is than keep 100% of nothing from another loss and if they do not see any way for you to win your claim then they will probably decline to represent you they like to be paid for their work just like anyone else they have to see a path to victory not every claim a veterans thinks is a winner is some just can't be proven beyond a reasonable doubt not all claims are legitimate it's just a fact of life

#11 Tomahawk

Tomahawk

E-3 Seaman

• Third Class Petty Officers
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 07:44 PM

Im planning on contacting a lawyer for my appeal. I have found two firms so far in my area that claim to represent veterans for C&P claims. We'll see how it goes.

Advertise Here