Photo
- - - - -

Why Do I Have To Enroll In Every State I Go To

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
18 replies to this topic

#1 Notorious Kelly

Notorious Kelly

E-8 Senior Chief Petty Officer

• Senior Chief Petty Officer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 989 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 08:31 PM

Any VA can look at my records on the computer.

But- in every state I go to, the VA says I have to "enroll" to get care (if you don't want to spend a shift in the ER).

Enrollment is a weeks or months-long process where you have to be assigned to a team, then have appointments for NP, Dr or whatever before getting appointments for specialty clinics or other care.

Additionally, the Arizona VA said I'll need to bring 2009 tax return. Does a 100% disabled vet need to do this?

Why is it so complicated?

#2 sharon

sharon

HadIt.com Elder/Moderator

• Master Chief Petty Officer
  • 1126 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 08:38 PM

VA enrollment also allows health care benefits to become completely portable throughout the entire VA health care system. Enrolled Veterans who are traveling or who spend time away from their primary treatment facility may obtain care at any VA health care facility across the country without the worry of having to reapply. Veterans with a service-connected condition may receive treatment for that condition even in a foreign country (see Foreign Medical Program).

http://www4.va.gov/h...thCareOverview/

I would copy this from their web site and take it to the hospital and hold their feet to the fire.

#3 Notorious Kelly

Notorious Kelly

• 989 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 08:38 AM

Thanks, Sharon.

Montana required a local address so I had to pay for a P.O. Box while I was up there and make special trips back to Butte to check it.

They need to all get on the same page fer chrissakes.

#4 faofficer

faofficer

E-3 Seaman

• Seaman
  • PipPipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 09:39 AM

The reason is simply the privacy act. VHA facilities cannot view your record until you register in their network. If you provide full legal name, birth day, full ssn, place of birth, sc rating, mother's maiden name, and city of birth the registration staff can begin to pull your data. Once you do they can retrieve your information via remote data. They may ask for additional information because the system slowly pulls your information. This is actually the same at private hospitals where you fill out a registration form the first time you visit. If you go to St. Mary's Hospital in California, you would still have to register at St. Mary's Hospital in another state.

If you are not staying their for an extended period you do not have to complete an intake appointment. Just ask to be treated as an unassigned walk-in. Individuals with scheduled appointments will be given preference, but they would work you in. Yes intakes are typically 6-8 weeks out because they are 1hr instead of 30 min blocks.

Edited by faofficer, 08 January 2012 - 09:53 AM.

#5 faofficer

faofficer

E-3 Seaman

• Seaman
  • PipPipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 09:51 AM

A local address is not required. Were they going to have narcotics mailed that were not in their pharmacy?

#6 jbasser

jbasser

Moderator/HadIt.com Elder/SVR Radio Panelist

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6132 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 10:07 AM

Kelly, you have just given me an idea for a Radio Show.

This seems to be a growing topic as more veterans travel about this country.

In reality when we become part of the VA system, we have to go through a means test. Then they issue an ID card,

What they should do is use that ID card at any VA,

The FIOA and HIPPA are just excuses as the VA is considered one entity and there is electronic data available within the VA's entities.

Actually this is mere red tape that needs to be streamlined. I believe I can inquire about it at a higher level which I plan to do.

Hang in there traveling man. Folks like you and Terry Sturgis inspire me as you have the ability to travel.

Basser

#7 Notorious Kelly

Notorious Kelly

• 989 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 08:09 AM

Thanks, Basser.

Travelin is slowin down as the truck & I have more maintenance issues Posted Image I'm taking it in this morning for a lil fix.

Really wanted to hear anniversary show but it's tough for me to catch em.
I'm transitioning to Medicare more for care. Just got CPAP supplies mailed right to me with no hassle. Sure, there's a little copay but less than the diesel burned & frustration jumping thru hoops.

A couple issues for traveling vets are getting meds mailed and obtaining care at a VA hospital.
I use a mail forwarder service if I'm on the move and then pay them to ship meds where I'm at.
They also scan my mail so I can read it online.
http://www.earthclassmail.com/ if anyone is interested.
If I'm renting a place for months then I can use that address.

CBOC's (local clinics) won't take walk-ins, so your only option is to go to ER at hospital.
People familiar with that know it will be all day to be seen if you're not dying.

Feel free to post or PM me if anyone has traveling questions.

Have fun!

kelly

#8 john999

john999

HadIt.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21856 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 09:47 AM

Try getting dental care at various VAMC's on a walk-in basis. I bet they guard that service like Ft Knox. So much for "seamless care" through out the VA health care system. I bet they are guarding their individual budgets and discouraging traveling vets from dipping into their money pot. I have lived in the same place for 25 years and VA has managed to get my address screwed up at least three times.

John

#9 VADDS

VADDS

E-3 Seaman

• Third Class Petty Officers
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 01:45 PM

Every VA Medical Systemn has to manage its own budget. A large percentage of its budget is based on the number of veterans it treats, and the level of care provided. When a vet moves from one System to another, the gaining system does what it needs to do so that it is reimbursed for the care provided. If the vet is transferring primary care to the new system, the initial exam with a new PCP is a "vesting" exam.

As a VA provider, I can't access a vet's medical data from other VA Systems until that vet enrolls for care in my system. As a veteran and VA patient, I want to keep it that way.

Even to walk-in to a VA dental clinic for urgent care, the vet needs to enroll in the System of the dental clinic. By doing so, the System will receive some reimbursement for the emergency care. Having a PCP assigned, and having avesting exam is NOT required to access VA dental care.

#10 carlie

carlie

Moderator/Admin/HadIt.com Elder/SVR Radio Panelist

• Admin
  • 21716 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 02:13 PM

VA enrollment also allows health care benefits to become completely portable throughout the entire VA health care system. Enrolled Veterans who are traveling or who spend time away from their primary treatment facility may obtain care at any VA health care facility across the country without the worry of having to reapply. Veterans with a service-connected condition may receive treatment for that condition even in a foreign country (see Foreign Medical Program).

http://www4.va.gov/h...thCareOverview/

I would copy this from their web site and take it to the hospital and hold their feet to the fire.

Ditto on sharon's post.
The VAMC's need to get it together and implement the above with consistency.
There should be absolutely no difficulties for a veteran to access their VA health care
benefits anywhere in the USA.
Last year I was on the road - out of my home state - was transported by ambulance to the
nearest VAMC - and that VAMC - ER, did not want to provide services - BS on that.
In regards to- "the gaining system does what it needs to do so that it is reimbursed for the care provided."
IMO - This should not have any negative effect a veteran receiving their medical care in a timely manner,
irregardless of what type of care and where they are needing to access medical care and services.
Provide the medical services needed and let the VA figure out the dollars and doughnuts in the background.
The vet should not have to be concerned at all with the responsibilities of the VA Medical System, in managing their budget.
JMHO

#11 jbasser

jbasser

• Admin
  • 6132 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 02:31 PM

Every VA Medical Systemn has to manage its own budget. A large percentage of its budget is based on the number of veterans it treats, and the level of care provided. When a vet moves from one System to another, the gaining system does what it needs to do so that it is reimbursed for the care provided. If the vet is transferring primary care to the new system, the initial exam with a new PCP is a "vesting" exam.

As a VA provider, I can't access a vet's medical data from other VA Systems until that vet enrolls for care in my system. As a veteran and VA patient, I want to keep it that way.

Even to walk-in to a VA dental clinic for urgent care, the vet needs to enroll in the System of the dental clinic. By doing so, the System will receive some reimbursement for the emergency care. Having a PCP assigned, and having avesting exam is NOT required to access VA dental care.

Sounds like a personal problem to me. Next.

#12 VADDS

VADDS

E-3 Seaman

• Third Class Petty Officers
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 08:03 PM

Sounds like a personal problem to me. Next.

And the problem is?

#13 JT24usn

JT24usn

E-7 Chief Petty Officer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 08:32 PM

Ditto on vadds. Really all you need when you go to a new Va is you social and date of birth. That will pull all information from the prior Va. They then should be able to access the medical records. No dd214 should be needed. No income information should be needed unless means test is due. Again only thing needed is San and Dob. Sorry you had a rough one.

Edited by T8r, 09 January 2012 - 08:35 PM.

#14 jbasser

jbasser

• Admin
  • 6132 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 08:49 PM

VAdds, sorry for the poke. I didnt mean anything negative.

As a veteran and former adminstrator for the VA the points of contact for a traveling veteran to get care at another facility is just another case of putting budget over patient care.
The Veteran does not care an should be concerned about the budget process as they just want to see the Doctor.

The VA can easily streamline the process very easy as we all have ID cards with barcodes that links us to our home VA's.

That card can be scanned and all treatment monies owed can be debited from the Home VA Budget without a load of red tape. But that is too easy for a big organization to comprehend.

Just think, If we streamlined the VA system, it would be amazing how many GS 4 Know it all's could be transferred into other areas like claims at the regional offices as more budget would be available for patient care. This would also promote those folks to higher grades as a quality of life increase.

Anyone ever heard the term putting the veteran first? It is time to act on that philosiphy and not just repeat meaning less words.

That is what quality assurance is all about.

#15 trailblazer

trailblazer

E-5 Petty Officer 2nd Class

• First Class Petty Officer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 11:50 PM

I don't think so. The va talks a big talk about their health care system beinng the best but I have found a lot of faults with it. Their record system dosen't keep up with the veterans like they say it does. Next time you go to the va show them your va ID card and give them your last four digits of your social security#. That should be all the info you need to stop the BS. If this don't work go to the advocate and express your thoughts in a way he or she can understand at the elementary level.

#16 carlie

carlie

Moderator/Admin/HadIt.com Elder/SVR Radio Panelist

• Admin
  • 21716 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 12:59 AM

.Next time you go to the va show them your va ID card and give them your last four digits of your social security#. That should be all the info you need to stop the BS. If this don't work go to the advocate and express your thoughts in a way he or she can understand at the elementary level.

trailblazer,
The above is really not even a possibility when you arrive at a VAMC - ER by ambulance -
you're laid out on a stretcher - it's 2:00 AM and there is only a skeleton crew of staff available.
Patient advocates office is an acre away and doesn't open up for several more hours.

#17 Notorious Kelly

Notorious Kelly

• 989 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 07:50 AM

A significant factor in my frustration is perception: I think of the VA like a national bank.

If I've gone through all the procedures to open an account at Example Bank, then I can go to any branch nationwide and obtain the same service as if I was at my home branch.

The VA is Advertised as being like Example Bank, but the Administration of it is actually compartmentalized and this isn't explained to the veteran.

Plus- the Traveling Veteran option has never been offered to me by any of the worker bees at nearly a dozen VA facilities I've approached for care, even though I explained to them that I'm a full-time traveler.
Bank employees are quick to suggest account options that may better suit my style, which requires employees to be informed.

Just a little more on the subject.

Edited by Notorious Kelly, 11 January 2012 - 07:53 AM.

#18 faofficer

faofficer

E-3 Seaman

• Seaman
  • PipPipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 05:39 PM

The integrated system is not setup in that manner, but it would greatly improve things for the patients and the staff if it were. There is a Master Patient Index that VISN's can obtain information. However, they cannot see your information until you register. The registration (eligibility) staff can access the MPI using the Register Once option, but they cannot do that without your full name, ssn, and dob. The card, last name and last four won't work until they access the MPI to pull your record. The MPI will not work unless there is sufficient information to identify a record. If they have a scanner, the card may work since that information is stored on the card. You do not have to complete an application, especially if you are not staying in the area the Register Once option will retrieve your remote data. It is the primary facility that is responsible for updating your information. However, if you will be there a period of time it may be helpful to load a temporary address in case prescriptions need mailed.

#19 john999

john999

HadIt.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • 21856 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 06:50 PM

I can use my ATM card almost any place in the world that has an ATM. I bank at a credit union that is a tiny fraction of the size of the VA. My VA I.D. is not as good as my ATM where I put in my card and get real money in 60 seconds in London or Hong Kong. Everyone accepts my Visa Card. The difference being that banks are important in the world money system and vets are on the fringe of the USA health care system. A whole lot more money needs to be spent caring for vets if the VA is every going to be the "World's Best Medical System". If I get sick on the other side of the USA and I show the private hospital my medicare and Blue Cross I will get ER care. I may be fighting with them down the road over bills, but I get care. It seems that if I go to the VA in some other state I may not get care. I am reminded that vets are still second class citizens.

John