Search

Advertise Here

Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  britton : (21 October 2014 - 10:05 PM) Tbird, I Sent A Donation To Hadit Via Pay Pal...i Hope You Got It?
@  raven316 : (21 October 2014 - 01:59 PM) Glasses
@  iceturkee : (20 October 2014 - 06:50 AM) Good Luck Plum
@  Notorious Kelly : (19 October 2014 - 06:32 AM) I Wish You All The Best With That, Plum!
@  me.plum : (18 October 2014 - 01:09 PM) Hearing For Bva 11-19 At 8:30 Wow!!! Thanks Everyone!!!
@  Tbird : (18 October 2014 - 12:30 PM) Buckeye46 Thank For Contributing Our Fund Raiser
@  Notorious Kelly : (17 October 2014 - 02:11 PM) Impressive Site, Kimmy. I Bookmarked. Thanks! :)
@  Kimmy : (17 October 2014 - 08:31 AM) I Recently Discover The Site. It Is Very Detailed With Info On Conditions And Ratings.
@  Kimmy : (17 October 2014 - 08:28 AM) Has Anyone Here Been To This Site? Http://www.militarydisabilitymadeeasy.com/
@  Tbird : (17 October 2014 - 08:06 AM) Snake Eyes Thank You For Remembering Us. Congratulations On Your Retro.
@  Snake Eyes : (16 October 2014 - 07:04 PM) Thinking Of Donating A Portion Of My Retro On Next Claim. Smaller Amount Coming Beginning Of November. Thanks For The Good Work!
@  britton : (13 October 2014 - 06:13 AM) Hi There T Bird Shout Backatcha
@  Tbird : (13 October 2014 - 06:04 AM) Britton Ahoy There Matey Give You A Shout Out Back
@  Tbird : (13 October 2014 - 06:00 AM) Thank You Michael M For Your Contribution To Our Funding Campaign
@  Tbird : (13 October 2014 - 05:57 AM) Thank You Elliot K For Your Contribution To Our Funding Campaign
@  Timothy11 : (12 October 2014 - 05:58 PM) Retro Pay
@  britton : (12 October 2014 - 10:10 AM) Hey Everyone!!!......i Give A Shout!!!.......:)
@  Notorious Kelly : (11 October 2014 - 04:18 PM) Hey- There's Britton Right On Top Of The Dealy Bobber!
@  britton : (11 October 2014 - 08:47 AM) Hi Everyone! I Enjoy Reading This Site &please Remember M Fellow Veteran Brothers & Sisters Knowledge Is Power!
@  hmcquade : (10 October 2014 - 02:21 PM) @ari Have Ms

Photo
- - - - -

Cancel Disability Compensation

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
13 replies to this topic

#1 Signal6

Signal6

E-4 Petty Officer 3rd Class

• Second Class Petty Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 08:50 AM

is it possible to cancel my disability compensation for certain conditions? And if so, would it be possible to request it again later in life? I know this will generate a lot of question as to why I would want to do this, etc, and I appreciate everyones concerns, but there is a personal reason why I am considering this and do not want to disclose it.

Thanks

Advertise Here

#2 jbasser

jbasser

Moderator/HadIt.com Elder/SVR Radio Panelist

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 09:27 AM

Any reason to do this would be extremely foolish.

Can you tell us the reason you are even contemplating it.

J

#3 dsgsr

dsgsr

E-5 Petty Officer 2nd Class

• First Class Petty Officer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 09:36 AM

is it possible to cancel my disability compensation for certain conditions? And if so, would it be possible to request it again later in life? I know this will generate a lot of question as to why I would want to do this, etc, and I appreciate everyones concerns, but there is a personal reason why I am considering this and do not want to disclose it.

Thanks

Maybe you could privately contact one of the Hadit.com Elders that you feel that you could trust, Tell them the the reason. You never know, they may give you info. that you don't have too give up your compensation for whats going on.

David

#4 brokensoldier244th

brokensoldier244th

E-7 Chief Petty Officer

• Senior Chief Petty Officer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 09:39 AM

I would think that once it is filed for, the cat is out of the bag. If its got something to do with employment, or fighting with your insurance company, I dont' think they have any right to, or access to VA medical records.

#5 broncovet

broncovet

E-9 Master Chief Petty Officer

• Master Chief Petty Officer
  • 3663 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 09:52 AM

I dont know any reason why you could not do as you suggested...or even re apply after you "cancelled" it.

Of course, as was pointed out, just because you can do something, doesnt necessarily mean you want to run out and do it.

However, I am going to assume you have a compelling reason....I will take a wild guess and say you think you may get a certain job, but dont want your potential employer to know, and further feel you would not be eligible for benefits if you got this job.

Everything at the Va is always a risk. If you apply for more benefits, you take the chance that someone looks at your file and says, "Gee, this guy doesnt deserve more, he already has more than he deserves and we will do a reduction".

Of course, you dont need to tell the reason. But, the more clearly you explain your situation, the better the advice you get will be. That is, if you give a "generic" question, you are apt to get a "generic" answer.

#6 brokensoldier244th

brokensoldier244th

E-7 Chief Petty Officer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 10:10 AM

But, if I was to write the RO and say "yada yada, I want this and that disability compensation cancelled....." and then later reapplied, I could see that request as the first reason for a new denial. It also might call into question any other thing you might be rated for, especially residuals. A potential employer (for one example) has does not any more access than what I give them to my health records or anything else, unless they are a federal agency and then they can get them anyway. Courts can get them, I suppose, with the right horsepower, but if it was something like that cancelling disability comp for the condition isn't going to erase it from your treatment records.

If its finanicial, your comp isn't 'income' unless you want it to be, unless you are applying for some form of federal benefits (like food stamps) or you are subject to child support (your disability may be protected from 'attachment' but once it hits your bank account it's jut money, and will be used by the court to set an amount)

I dont know any reason why you could not do as you suggested...or even re apply after you "cancelled" it.

Of course, as was pointed out, just because you can do something, doesnt necessarily mean you want to run out and do it.

However, I am going to assume you have a compelling reason....I will take a wild guess and say you think you may get a certain job, but dont want your potential employer to know, and further feel you would not be eligible for benefits if you got this job.

Everything at the Va is always a risk. If you apply for more benefits, you take the chance that someone looks at your file and says, "Gee, this guy doesnt deserve more, he already has more than he deserves and we will do a reduction".

Of course, you dont need to tell the reason. But, the more clearly you explain your situation, the better the advice you get will be. That is, if you give a "generic" question, you are apt to get a "generic" answer.

#7 navydoc2

navydoc2

E-7 Chief Petty Officer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 10:26 AM

Whatever decision you make is entirely up to you! I'm sure you have thought it out and came to this conclusion. I do agree with the others you may be able to do it, however; trying to get it back may prove difficult. I would also consider that the VA could possibly claim fraud for the time you did receive benefits and try to get that money back.

#8 Notorious Kelly

Notorious Kelly

E-8 Senior Chief Petty Officer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1217 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 01:54 PM

I respect your privacy.

If it is possible and you do it, I'd count on never being able to reverse it.

I wish you well.

#9 Signal6

Signal6

E-4 Petty Officer 3rd Class

• Second Class Petty Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 06:56 PM

Thanks for the all the replies, I think will not do it. It had to do with my pilot license, but I have to report it either way, if I get the payment or not, so cancelling the payment is not an option. Oh well, it was just a thought I had.

#10 john999

john999

HadIt.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22262 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 09:48 AM

Take the compensation because the day you can't work you will be really grateful you have that money coming every month. It is all that keeps most of us afloat.

#11 LarryJ

LarryJ

Hadit.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • 3214 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 08:41 PM

Thanks for the all the replies, I think will not do it. It had to do with my pilot license, but I have to report it either way, if I get the payment or not, so cancelling the payment is not an option. Oh well, it was just a thought I had.

And, if it makes you feel any better let me assure you that they will not "pull" your license unless you are obviously incapable of being pilot-in-command (in which case, I'd think a responsible person (and most pilots ARE responsible people) would be already in the process of giving up their license).
I've got more cards in my wallet than I can keep track of, and that old Beech I've got out in the barn gets used with regularity and I hope I'll still be doing the same ten years from now. I plan on celebrating my 65th (on Friday) trying out my new Garmin GPS system. It's nice when you finally get kids with "disposable income" :biggrin: !

#12 JR Reihs

JR Reihs

HadIt.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 07:16 PM

It's nice when you finally get kids with "disposable income" :biggrin: !

Do tell........I have never heard of that. Kids with "disposable income" Whats the catch? :wacko:

#13 LarryJ

LarryJ

Hadit.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • 3214 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 08:40 PM

Do tell........I have never heard of that. Kids with "disposable income" Whats the catch? :wacko:

Welllll, first of all you must, of course, make sure that they have had the very best of private schooling, then you must, of course, make sure that their college(s) rank up there with, for example, Yale or, at the very least, SMU or Rice. Then, of course, you must make certain that their automobile(s) are of the very latest chic (Mercedes, at least) and that their clothes are purchased at Niemans or, at the very least, The GAP. And, of course, the POST-Graduate degrees must have, at least, summer sessions in Europe.
Then, if you are very lucky, they will, along about the age of THIRTY, become "employed", at which time you MAY be able to, at least, talk them into paying for their OWN car insurance, etc.
And, then, if you are still having a run of good luck, they'll buy you a birthday present (with their "disposable income"). And, all the while, they will keep reminding YOU that THEY have "advanced degrees" (which, of course, YOU don't HAVE, thereby making YOU "less educated and more ill-informed" than they are.).

Little SHITS! "Bout DAMN time they PAID UP"!:rolleyes:

But, WTF do I KNOW? I went to a State-supported "college", on "scholarship"! DUHHHH?

#14 Gulfvet45

Gulfvet45

E-5 Petty Officer 2nd Class

• Chief Petty Officers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 05:12 PM

GET with some one at the NVLSP.org

To do what you want is not wise no matter what. you have the disability even if you are not getting paid for it. so if it was for a job it will not work and you would only lose out in the long run.
You posted on the net it this is here for ever. just like your VA records :angry:

Thanks

Advertise Here