Search

Advertise Here

Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Tbird : (22 October 2014 - 05:26 AM) Britton Sent You A Pm
@  britton : (21 October 2014 - 10:05 PM) Tbird, I Sent A Donation To Hadit Via Pay Pal...i Hope You Got It?
@  raven316 : (21 October 2014 - 01:59 PM) Glasses
@  iceturkee : (20 October 2014 - 06:50 AM) Good Luck Plum
@  Notorious Kelly : (19 October 2014 - 06:32 AM) I Wish You All The Best With That, Plum!
@  me.plum : (18 October 2014 - 01:09 PM) Hearing For Bva 11-19 At 8:30 Wow!!! Thanks Everyone!!!
@  Tbird : (18 October 2014 - 12:30 PM) Buckeye46 Thank For Contributing Our Fund Raiser
@  Notorious Kelly : (17 October 2014 - 02:11 PM) Impressive Site, Kimmy. I Bookmarked. Thanks! :)
@  Kimmy : (17 October 2014 - 08:31 AM) I Recently Discover The Site. It Is Very Detailed With Info On Conditions And Ratings.
@  Kimmy : (17 October 2014 - 08:28 AM) Has Anyone Here Been To This Site? Http://www.militarydisabilitymadeeasy.com/
@  Tbird : (17 October 2014 - 08:06 AM) Snake Eyes Thank You For Remembering Us. Congratulations On Your Retro.
@  Snake Eyes : (16 October 2014 - 07:04 PM) Thinking Of Donating A Portion Of My Retro On Next Claim. Smaller Amount Coming Beginning Of November. Thanks For The Good Work!
@  britton : (13 October 2014 - 06:13 AM) Hi There T Bird Shout Backatcha
@  Tbird : (13 October 2014 - 06:04 AM) Britton Ahoy There Matey Give You A Shout Out Back
@  Tbird : (13 October 2014 - 06:00 AM) Thank You Michael M For Your Contribution To Our Funding Campaign
@  Tbird : (13 October 2014 - 05:57 AM) Thank You Elliot K For Your Contribution To Our Funding Campaign
@  Timothy11 : (12 October 2014 - 05:58 PM) Retro Pay
@  britton : (12 October 2014 - 10:10 AM) Hey Everyone!!!......i Give A Shout!!!.......:)
@  Notorious Kelly : (11 October 2014 - 04:18 PM) Hey- There's Britton Right On Top Of The Dealy Bobber!
@  britton : (11 October 2014 - 08:47 AM) Hi Everyone! I Enjoy Reading This Site &please Remember M Fellow Veteran Brothers & Sisters Knowledge Is Power!

Photo
- - - - -

Veterans Affairs Compensated Work Therapy

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
26 replies to this topic

#1 betrayed

betrayed

E-8 Senior Chief Petty Officer

• Senior Chief Petty Officer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Posted 13 June 2006 - 11:00 AM

Why does anyone know about it, info I have found so far is scarce>>>>>>>>>>>>I havae a appt with my voc rehab counselor on friday. I got my official voc rehab not feasible for rehab or to work last week...........so far the only value is it looks pretty much like official va form letter that belongs on the outhouse nail or in the round file..................seriously anyone know anything about the work therapy program?

Advertise Here

#2 Berta

Berta

HadIt.com Elder/SVR Radio Panelist

• SVR
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28822 posts

Posted 14 June 2006 - 07:42 AM

When they say a vet is unfeasible for Voc Rehab they are saying the veteran is unemployable-

This is good evidence to help to support a TDIU claim- especiallyif it says the veteran's service connected disabilities preclude employment-

Edited by Berta, 14 June 2006 - 07:45 AM.

#3 betrayed

betrayed

• 753 posts

Posted 14 June 2006 - 08:20 AM

When they say a vet is unfeasible for Voc Rehab they are saying the veteran is unemployable-

This is good evidence to help to support a TDIU claim- especiallyif it says the veteran's service connected disabilities preclude employment-

Ok, I am not getting your point...........Voc rehab said I was not feasable and unemployable.............the shrink at the hospital says this is not a job, not taxable, but the vet is compensated..........I think its something to get me out of the house and prevent me from being more of a recluse...........

#4 john999

john999

HadIt.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • 22262 posts

Posted 14 June 2006 - 09:02 AM

I think it is good as long as it does not impact future ability to get TDIU. I hope the doctor is not going to try and say you are much improved after this therapy and rule out TDIU or a higher rating. If you are unemployable you should be getting TDIU. 100% has many benefits besides the check.

#5 betrayed

betrayed

• 753 posts

Posted 14 June 2006 - 09:31 AM

I think it is good as long as it does not impact future ability to get TDIU. I hope the doctor is not going to try and say you are much improved after this therapy and rule out TDIU or a higher rating. If you are unemployable you should be getting TDIU. 100% has many benefits besides the check.

I've talked to many people, and IU will not do a thing for me, it will offset my retirement check and no CDRP for another 3 years............it would cut my x wifes 50% big time, but just piss her off and make her come after me..........I have to try and get 100% the hard way.........

#6 john999

john999

HadIt.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • 22262 posts

Posted 14 June 2006 - 10:14 AM

Good point! Don't be an over-achiever! Even if you feel prett good try and $%$$ up every once in a while.

#7 betrayed

betrayed

• 753 posts

Posted 14 June 2006 - 03:54 PM

Good point! Don't be an over-achiever! Even if you feel prett good try and $%$$ up every once in a while.

I dont get it ....................what are ya trying to tell me

#8 john999

john999

HadIt.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • 22262 posts

Posted 14 June 2006 - 06:12 PM

What I am trying to tell you is that you don't want to give the VA any reason to think that your disability has improved. You performance in this program is probably going to be used as evidence of the severity of your disability. This is my thinking on it. Maybe Alex or someone who really knows more about this program would have a better idea about it. I just think that any time you are doing anything with the VA that involves compensation I would watch out. I actually like the idea of work therapy but you don't want them to use that to reduce your compensation. I am suspicious of the VA by nature. Are you getting SSDI or any other disability compensation?

#9 wayne

wayne

E-3 Seaman

• Seaman
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 15 June 2006 - 06:17 AM

John999,

I agree with you 100%!!!!!! ANYONE considering this program BEWARE!!!! You know how tricky and low down Mr. Buyer is. Could be one of his underhanded tricks!!

WAYNE

#10 Guest_DON20906_*GuestMember

Guest_DON20906_*GuestMember
  • Guests

Posted 15 June 2006 - 02:41 PM

CWT is not VocRehab. It has nothing to do with C&P. CWT is for severly and chronically mentally ill , ETOH and drug dependent veterans being treated by VA in hospitals to try to restore them to a minimal level of social functioning by teaching basic skills like getting up in the morning and not going postal on staff and coworkers. CWT vets work in hospital food service and housekeeping for the most part. A veteran being considered for CWT has far more serious issues than unemployablity because of service-connected disabilities. In fact SC status doesn't factor in at all except in determining Priorty Group status and eligibility for medical care.

Why does anyone know about it, info I have found so far is scarce>>>>>>>>>>>>I havae a appt with my voc rehab counselor on friday. I got my official voc rehab not feasible for rehab or to work last week...........so far the only value is it looks pretty much like official va form letter that belongs on the outhouse nail or in the round file..................seriously anyone know anything about the work therapy program?

#11 john999

john999

HadIt.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • 22262 posts

Posted 15 June 2006 - 02:52 PM

How would getting this compensated work therapy affect get SSDI benefits. I am a mental case for the last 35 years. I would love some work, but I physically can't do it. So much for that. I will just let my hair and beard grow until I am just a ball of fur. Maybe I can get help then.

#12 betrayed

betrayed

• 753 posts

Posted 15 June 2006 - 04:35 PM

I will just let my hair and beard grow until I am just a ball of fur. .

we think alike!

All I know is the shrink says it would be good for me...................if it puts a little $$ in my pocket then cool because they sure are short changing my whole dam compensation benifits...........I am still waiting to hear about my SSDI. I had a meeting with a staffer from my congressmans office, I gave them a copy of my appeal with a point by point blow of every mistake the VA has made (and they made allot). They asked me what I wanted................I blew a cork

here is my email verbatim

"Stuart you asked me what I want, also you asked me what I wanted back in February (I still havenít figured out if you blew me off or didnít send me a copy of the letter "YOU WERE GONNA WRITE") ..............................

Penni, yesterday you stated you want? And I stated a meeting with the director of the VA Regional Office in Detroit, an answer to my 6-week-old letter requesting that meeting.

Please listen to the following if you do listen to any thing else........

What I want is to be treated with dignity and respect that I earned after 28 years of active duty. What I want is the benefits the under CFR 38 which I am entitled to..............this is not an if, a but if or, a how come. These are benefits that under the laws of this country I am entitled to.............and because of the incompetence of the Detroit VARO I am being wrongfully denied these benefits. Everyday that I am denied more and more food is taken out of my family's mouth. Everyday my stress-meter goes up one more notches and my health meter drops two more notches. It is as if the VA is playing a waiting game, pay him or wait and see if he dies, maybe we can save a little $$$..........And by the way in my case there is no back pay for retirees.

I want my meeting as I requested. I also want Congressman Rogers to know of my situation and the asinine crap that is coming out of that Detroit Office. I recently received a form letter from the VA, the letter was directed at vets in 5 states, all the Midwest, and it went on to say that if you lived in one of these 5 states you had rights.............seems like if you live in one of those 5 states you have a better chance of the VA screwing up your claim for benefits.....................Then it went on to make political excuses.........you guys know the type, excuse for everything under the sun.

Bottom line is incompetence.........I worked with GS Civil Servants, I hired them, never fired one, its to hard......................but yet I believe that with my case alone there is ample justification to fire a few civil servants.

Back to what I want.....................I want the system fixed, I donít other vets still going through this same crap in 20 years................ Congressman Rogers needs to know what is happening in the Detroit Office. I just got a letter yesterday about the 26+ million disabled vets whose personal information had been stolen...........

So bottom line I want Stuart to get me my meeting...........and I want Mike Rogers to say to that Man in Detroit "what the hell are you guys doing here?"

Stuart while on the phone you told me you had not read what I gave Penni,

Penni did you read it......................

The most it would take you to read it is 20 minutes, Am I not worth the time?

If I am wasting my time with you, or maybe you guys look at it as I am wasting your time please let me know...I have been turned down by everyone I have asked for help, including Livingston County Veterans Office. However I did get advice and help from Oakland County Veterans Service Office...................

Someday, somehow I will find someone to listen to me. Perhaps Fox Newsí Ruth to the Rescue?"

They still have not responded to my email.............gee maybe someone will listen before I run a muck and end up going postal on staff and coworkers

DON20906
CWT is not VocRehab. It has nothing to do with C&P. CWT is for severly and chronically mentally ill , ETOH and drug dependent veterans being treated by VA in hospitals to try to restore them to a minimal level of social functioning by teaching basic skills like getting up in the morning and not going postal on staff and coworkers.

Don tell me what you know about it...............I told my VOC REHAB Counselor in a email and she told me she didnt think it was for me, or I would like it...........I meet with her tomorrow..............

#13 Guest_DON20906_*GuestMember

• Guests

Posted 15 June 2006 - 05:40 PM

I don't know about SSDI but CWT earnings don't count against IU or the unemployability factor in 100% schedular ratings for mental conditions, but it's not permanent. Between the VDBC and the hard look to be taken at IU, everything's on the table. In addition to CWT, VA has a study of Sheltered Supported Employment Initiatives underway right now and one of the topics under consideration is the effects of receipt of disability compensation on employment seeking. Sheltered Supported Employment has been very effective in local mental health programs.

VA's focus in mental health is changing from maintenance to recovery and reintegration. Same as the rest of the psychosocial helping professions. See: http://www.mentalhea...rts/reports.htm. That means the objective is to help CMI/SMI veterans get well, not by reinforcing maladaptive behaviors with open-ended compensation.

If by getting help, you mean getting to a schedular 100%, wouldn't you feel better if you could bootstrap yourself into some meaningful occupation and get rid of your dependence on VA? I am a consumer of mental health services myself, and I'd take a job shovelling shit into a windtunnel rather than allow my self-esteem to slide into that crapper. That's just me, though. :unsure:

Ever heard of a guy named Dr. Fred Frese? He did it. I've met him. Quite a character; totally schiz and crazier than a shithouse rat. He was a LT in the Marine Corps guarding the wire at Guantanamo back in the 60s when he reported to his superior officer that the Cubans were sending him messages through the air into his helmet. Next thing he knew he was locked up on the 14th floor at Bethesda. For a very long time. Now he's world class shrink who is huge in the recovery model movement and gets called on by VA, NIMH and others as a consultant. Check his bio out at http://www.fredfrese.com/.

How would getting this compensated work therapy affect get SSDI benefits. I am a mental case for the last 35 years. I would love some work, but I physically can't do it. So much for that. I will just let my hair and beard grow until I am just a ball of fur. Maybe I can get help then.

#14 john999

john999

HadIt.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • 22262 posts

Posted 15 June 2006 - 07:48 PM

Don

I am 56 and have 5 other VA disabilities besides mental stuff. I won't be bootstraping myself anywhere. I have a workers compensation file a mile long. Who would take someone like me? That is laughable. I retired on disability from the post office and I was making 50 grand a year. This was because I could not work not because I wanted a free ride. You VSO types are really part of the problem with your weird ideas about bootstraping. You sound like the VA. No one here that is tdiu or 100% is going to be going back to work anytime soon. Good God Man, do you think any of us wanted to be disabled? I was doing just fine and now I have had two unsucessful surgeries and a third coming up. Bootstraping, are you crazy? Now I know that the VSO's and the VA have the same mindset and we disabled vets will surely get screwed. Ask the other 100% vets here about bootstraping???

#15 Guest_DON20906_*GuestMember

• Guests

Posted 16 June 2006 - 04:24 AM

One thing I believe in is individual differences. One person's catastrophe is another's challenge to be overcome. Psychologists call it compensation. Fred's a good example of the latter.

I have my own demons to deal with. They'd have me living under a highway bridge but I choose not to let them win. Mind over matter.

Don

I am 56 and have 5 other VA disabilities besides mental stuff. I won't be bootstraping myself anywhere. I have a workers compensation file a mile long. Who would take someone like me? That is laughable. I retired on disability from the post office and I was making 50 grand a year. This was because I could not work not because I wanted a free ride. You VSO types are really part of the problem with your weird ideas about bootstraping. You sound like the VA. No one here that is tdiu or 100% is going to be going back to work anytime soon. Good God Man, do you think any of us wanted to be disabled? I was doing just fine and now I have had two unsucessful surgeries and a third coming up. Bootstraping, are you crazy? Now I know that the VSO's and the VA have the same mindset and we disabled vets will surely get screwed. Ask the other 100% vets here about bootstraping???

#16 john999

john999

HadIt.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • 22262 posts

Posted 16 June 2006 - 10:33 AM

You are a Real Man Don. I am just a standard issue human being. I wish I was a He-Man like you. I lived in a flop house after I got back from the service. I met many mentally disabled veterans. I escaped that fate through no help from the VA. Some of the people I met while on skid row were friends of mine who could not escape the damage done to them. They could not control their rage or drug habits they got in RVN. They are all probably dead now. Maybe they are buried in veterans graveyards.

#17 Guest_DON20906_*GuestMember

• Guests

Posted 16 June 2006 - 12:00 PM

I'm also standard issue, not a he-man. I just prefer to attribute human beings, as individuals, the free will to change their directions in life when the chips are down. That's why I like stories like Fred Frese's. Maybe I'm naive. I saw what was down the road for me on my past course and just decided I didn't want to go there. Jails, institutions and death, if you get that code.

You are a Real Man Don. I am just a standard issue human being. I wish I was a He-Man like you. I lived in a flop house after I got back from the service. I met many mentally disabled veterans. I escaped that fate through no help from the VA. Some of the people I met while on skid row were friends of mine who could not escape the damage done to them. They could not control their rage or drug habits they got in RVN. They are all probably dead now. Maybe they are buried in veterans graveyards.

#18 john999

john999

HadIt.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • 22262 posts

Posted 16 June 2006 - 01:27 PM

Don

Now you work for an institution that being one of the Veteran Service Organizations. I worked for an institution, the Post Office. We had plenty of criminals and nut cases but they were running the joint.

#19 youngparkie

youngparkie

E-3 Seaman

• Seaman
  • PipPipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 June 2006 - 04:30 PM

I am one of those 100% vets and while the thought of being usefull to society is like nervona. I am realistic about my ability to do that. Don it states that in your bio on the left of your post that you are 10% if that is incorrect then disregard this but, there is more than just 80 numbers beyween 10 and 100%. For myself being 60% physco and 50% parkinsons and 100% TDIU at the age of 37 I would love to be able to pull the bootstraps on ( hell I would love to be able to make love to my wife ) but some things are not meant to be. Being told that i could no longer works was a very bitter pill but one that must be swallowed. After several years I manage to keep that pill down the last thing I personally need is someone telling me wouldnt it be nice to work again. It would be nice to make a time machine and go back to where it all began do it all over again but alas while more likely that wont happen either.
Just my opinion take it for what its worth. I am glad I have the ability to make it one day at a time. I get the code,
Chris

#20 rogus

rogus

E-4 Petty Officer 3rd Class

• Seaman
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 16 June 2006 - 05:07 PM

I agree with youngparkie. I'm only 43 and would LOVE to fill useful again. But along with my psych problems that they haven't been able to treat succesfully for over 14 years my insides are so messed up that I can't even mow my grass without spending the rest of the day being sick. Hell just being outside when the temp is over 80 and I'll become psysically ill. During the summer I'm a prisoner in my own home. And I used to make 50K.

#21 john999

john999

HadIt.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • 22262 posts

Posted 16 June 2006 - 07:56 PM

If I could go back in time I never would have gone to work for the USPS then I would not have to have rotator cuff surgery two times. Working for the feds in whatever capacity as a soldier or civil service has just about killled me. I can't walk without pain. I can't sit without pain. When I get up in the morning I usually have pain bad enough to send me to the narcotics. This sucks but I can't go back. I can't mow my yard. I can't paint my door. I can't cut the bushes. Both shoulders are out now and hurt all the time.

#22 Tbird

Tbird

Founder HadIt.com established 1997

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 17 June 2006 - 06:07 AM

i worked at compensated work therapy for a year it was good for me got me out of the house and around people again, gave me some structure which i needed. i made a nickel for each envelope i stuffed. it seemed to have no impact on my claim. i don't know if this would be the same for you, but i wanted to put my two cents in, since i've been there done that.

Ok, I am not getting your point...........Voc rehab said I was not feasable and unemployable.............the shrink at the hospital says this is not a job, not taxable, but the vet is compensated..........I think its something to get me out of the house and prevent me from being more of a recluse...........

#23 betrayed

betrayed

• 753 posts

Posted 17 June 2006 - 06:30 AM

When I get up in the morning I usually have pain bad enough to send me to the narcotics.

first place I go every morning is to the safe and my pills

I can't walk without pain. I can't mow my yard. I can't paint my door. I can't cut the bushes. Both shoulders are out now and hurt all the time.

I was supposed to have a cervical fusiopn of three disk, but know the heart catherization has pretty much killed any surgery for what they tell me for at least nine months. so I imagine my meds will be increased a few times.................

#24 betrayed

betrayed

• 753 posts

Posted 17 June 2006 - 06:33 AM

it was good for me got me out of the house and around people again, gave me some structure which i needed.

Thats what I need, my voc rehab counselor told me about a program the purple heart organization is looking for people in the ILP program who are housebound.....................................................................k
inda took me back when she refered to me in that sense. I told my wife and she said thats a good description of you :unsure:

#25 john999

john999

HadIt.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • 22262 posts

Posted 17 June 2006 - 03:07 PM

Compensated work therapy......sounds OK. Who do I ask about it? How do I get it? I don't know if I could do it considering the shape I am in.

#26 betrayed

betrayed

• 753 posts

Posted 22 June 2006 - 08:39 AM

Compensated work therapy......sounds OK. Who do I ask about it? How do I get it? I don't know if I could do it considering the shape I am in.

Ask your VA Shrink to refer you, thats what mine did

#27 john999

john999

HadIt.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • 22262 posts

Posted 22 June 2006 - 10:20 AM

FLH

Thanks maybe I will do that.

Advertise Here