Search

Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup
@  cragwex : (15 September 2014 - 10:22 AM) Asking For T & P
@  NeverGiveUp : (14 September 2014 - 01:19 PM) Got Denial Letter From Va On Friday, Having Surgery For Hip This Friday Need Advice
@  Tbird : (13 September 2014 - 02:39 PM) Thank You Notorious
@  Notorious Kelly : (12 September 2014 - 02:52 PM) Happy To See The Donate Button For Hadit. No Pressure If You're Struggling But Give If You Can!
@  vet201060 : (11 September 2014 - 11:49 PM) Got The Dea Letter For Pain Killers Today. Interesting To See How This Actually Effects Us Getting Our Meds
@  bad@57 : (11 September 2014 - 07:07 PM) Hello Vets, Had A Very successful Bva Hearing August 20, 2014. Submitting Final Paperwork To Judge For Decision. Wish Me Luck As I Do All!
@  dereekbanks : (11 September 2014 - 12:49 PM) Still No Letter In The Mail, But I Think I Was Denied. Feeling Depressed!
@  dereekbanks : (11 September 2014 - 12:48 PM) Claim Closed On The 8Th, Its 3 Days Later And Ebenefits Still Shows My Same Old Rating.
@  Rotor Head : (11 September 2014 - 06:20 AM) Remember, The 'e' In Ebennies Stands For Entertainment. :blink:
@  ssgtob1 : (11 September 2014 - 05:14 AM) Got Back In, No Change The Last 10 Times I Checked It :(
@  Notorious Kelly : (10 September 2014 - 07:45 PM) Ebenefits Is Back "up" (But I Can't Do Anything In It) ;)
@  carlie : (10 September 2014 - 05:14 PM) Good - They Should Be Helping The Vets In The Virgin Islands - They Should Be Helping All Vets That Can't Earn A Living Due To Something They Experienced On Active Duty.
@  lcurle : (10 September 2014 - 04:37 PM) I Saw On Va.gov That They Are Helping The Homeless Vets In The Us Virgin Islands....im In!
@  lcurle : (10 September 2014 - 04:35 PM) You Must Be A Patient Man To Check It Only Every 10 Minutes, I Hit F5 Every 3 Seconds!
@  ssgtob1 : (10 September 2014 - 12:45 PM) Ebenefits Is Down :( Now I Cant Check It Every 10 Minutes
@  Gastone : (10 September 2014 - 04:25 AM) Heads Up! The 2013 Cbo Report Big Savings By Taxing Comp And Eliminating Iu Past 65 Starting In 2015. Not A Done Deal, Yet! Yrs Of Age.
@  carlie : (09 September 2014 - 06:12 PM) Dereekbanks - No - That Does Not Mean You Were Denied. They Do Not Update Ebenefits On A Daily Basis.
@  dereekbanks : (09 September 2014 - 05:27 AM) Ebenefits Shows My Claim Closed Yesterday, But My Benefit Letter Looks The Same. Does That Mean I Was Denied?
@  dereekbanks : (09 September 2014 - 05:24 AM) Thanks For The Replies!
@  iceturkee : (08 September 2014 - 02:48 PM) I Just Got My Allowance Less Than A Week After The Disapproved Was Changed To Approved

Photo
- - - - -

Declared Incompetent What Do I Do?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 Boracay

Boracay

E-3 Seaman

• Third Class Petty Officers
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 02:22 AM

Hello fellow vets,

I been declared incompetent by the VA even though on by exam by the Fee Basis Doctor before the C and P exam said I could handle money. I don't want to have a third party manage my funds and it isn't a option. What steps do I take to not let this happen?

Advertise Here

#2 Berta

Berta

HadIt.com Elder/SVR Radio Panelist

• SVR
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28674 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 06:03 AM

"even though on by exam by the Fee Basis Doctor before the C and P exam said I could handle money."

Did VA mention that when they proposed incompetency?

These proposed incompetency letters have a time limit and should be responded to right away.

Can you prove you have your own checking account with no or very few overdrafts? ( Bank statements would prove that)

Do you have receipts from utilities or taxes or mortgage or car that you paid on time?

If you rent would your rental person sign a statement that they have no problems with getting your rent?

If they are withholding retro until this issue is resolved, can you obtain an independent medical opinion that supports that you are competent?

Do you get SSDI? If so do you get the check for that?

If SSA didn't declare you incompetent and you do get SSDI check with no payee-that is good proof that the VA is wrong.

#3 Pete53

Pete53

Moderator/HadIt.com Elder

• 21829 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 08:36 AM

Appeal the decision and use Berta's post to guide you. Also it is in your best interest to find someone to act for you and not allow the VA to appoint someone.

Having a checking account and making sure that bills are paid timely or on terms should get you off the hook. Your Service Officer should also have some information to help you.

Good Luck

#4 Berta

Berta

• SVR
  • 28674 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 08:45 AM

This case might help you too- to see hpw this veteran overcame the incompetency declaration by VA:

http://www4.va.gov/v...es2/1016976.txt

She was very persistent and it looked to me that one VA doctor's incomepetency opinion was mere speculation.

VA must have clear and convincing evidence to declare a vet incompetent.

#5 Boracay

Boracay

E-3 Seaman

• PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 06:46 PM

"even though on by exam by the Fee Basis Doctor before the C and P exam said I could handle money."

Did VA mention that when they proposed incompetency?

These proposed incompetency letters have a time limit and should be responded to right away.

Can you prove you have your own checking account with no or very few overdrafts? ( Bank statements would prove that)

Do you have receipts from utilities or taxes or mortgage or car that you paid on time?

If you rent would your rental person sign a statement that they have no problems with getting your rent?

If they are withholding retro until this issue is resolved, can you obtain an independent medical opinion that supports that you are competent?

Do you get SSDI? If so do you get the check for that?

If SSA didn't declare you incompetent and you do get SSDI check with no payee-that is good proof that the VA is wrong.

I can prove I have a banking account with over 25,000 dollars in it saved. I have receipts for utilities and rent. I can get the rental person to sign a statement I have no problems getting rent. I don't know if they are holding retro yet. I can obtain a medical opinion from a doctor and a lawyer. SSA declared me incompetent but they said after the edvidence that they are going to change it

#6 Berta

Berta

• SVR
  • 28674 posts

Posted 25 December 2010 - 05:58 AM

If I were you I would send them a 21-4138 form or a letter enclosing copies of this financial information ASAP. Are you still within any timeframe they gave you for a response?

#7 Boracay

Boracay

E-3 Seaman

• PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 25 December 2010 - 05:43 PM

If I were you I would send them a 21-4138 form or a letter enclosing copies of this financial information ASAP. Are you still within any timeframe they gave you for a response?

They sent the letter dated back 10 days ago. It look 7 days to get to me. whats the timeframe I will do that by the way.

#8 Berta

Berta

• SVR
  • 28674 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 06:51 AM

It might be a thirty day response period-I dont know- what does the letter say on that?

#9 Boracay

Boracay

E-3 Seaman

• PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 07:23 PM

It might be a thirty day response period-I dont know- what does the letter say on that?

lol nothing. It just said it is proposed...

#10 Berta

Berta

• SVR
  • 28674 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 07:04 AM

I strongly suggest that you get a hold of a vet rep from your local county or state veterans service agency-they often can make housecalls- and see if there is someone who can help you with this proposed incompetency as well as your A & A claim.

If VA awards you A & A, any retro will be held up until the incompetency issue is resolved.

#11 carlie

carlie

Moderator/Admin/HadIt.com Elder/SVR Radio Panelist

• Admin
  • 22128 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 08:08 PM

Berta,
He's in the Philippines.

He's also posted,
"SSA declared me incompetent but they said after the edvidence that they are going to change it"
I don't find any post saying SSA has now declared him competent to handle his own funds,
so until SSA makes a change this will probably still work against him.

I do know a vet that was declared by SSA competent to manage their finances
yet VBA declared him incompetent and stayed with an appointed fiduciary.
He tried to fight it a couple of years and finally gave up on it.

Advertise Here