Search

Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup
@  rootbeer22 : (20 August 2014 - 02:19 PM) Buddy Statements
@  IraqVet : (19 August 2014 - 07:02 PM) Anyone Recieveing Letters From Vfw To Applay For Tricare And Campava Supplimantal Insurance When You Do Not Have 100% Yet....mines Pending But I Wonder If They Know Something I Dont
@  Detonator : (19 August 2014 - 10:51 AM) Insomnia
@  jbasser : (18 August 2014 - 08:29 PM) Folks, Dont Miss The Hadit Radio Show Wed At 1Pm Eastern. The Basser Hour.
@  Thadine : (18 August 2014 - 12:23 PM) Nod
@  carlie : (18 August 2014 - 08:37 AM) Notapb1 - Might Get More Replies If You Post The Questions Into The Forums.
@  notapb1 : (18 August 2014 - 07:26 AM) Looking For Feedback. I Have Applied For Iu. Was Told To Come In For A Psych Eval And Diabetes Clinic. Received A Call From Va They Were Cancelling The Psych Eval As The Doc(?) Who Did It In March(Ptsd Increase) Was Asked For His Opinion And He Was Going To Submit That. This Is The Same Individual Who Told Me Off The Record About Iu And To Contact My Service Officer. Sounds Positive To Me, But I May Be A Little Bias. Thoughts?
@  waltbarb : (16 August 2014 - 08:35 PM) Appeal
@  MarkInTexas : (16 August 2014 - 04:49 PM) Just Testing This "shout" Thing....... Have A Great Weekend Everybody!
@  Notorious Kelly : (16 August 2014 - 04:40 PM) I Reset Firefox And Now Can Read- Probably Kok Issue (Kitties On The Keyboard)
@  Notorious Kelly : (16 August 2014 - 04:25 PM) I Couldn't Read Posts So I Changed Theme To Ipboard Mobile. Now I Can Read And It Says Hadit Custom
@  carlie : (16 August 2014 - 03:32 PM) Raymondb50 - Probably Better To Post Your Question To The Board.
@  carlie : (16 August 2014 - 03:15 PM) Raymondbb50 - What Is It That You Want ?
@  raymondb50 : (15 August 2014 - 09:47 PM) How Do I Change Member Title And Group Info In My Profile?
@  carlie : (15 August 2014 - 08:37 PM) Just Saying Hi To All
@  WoundedWarrior : (14 August 2014 - 08:50 AM) Got Unofficial Word From The Vso - Unofficially Approved For Tdiu, Effective Date 6/3/2014
@  mrmark1999 : (13 August 2014 - 06:23 PM) Ok When You Call The 1800 # You Feel Like They Allways Have Heavy Call Volume
@  Notorious Kelly : (13 August 2014 - 06:08 AM) Hi Autumn - Those Links Aren't Working Thru Shoutbox; Maybe In A Regular Post. Thanks!
@  autumn : (12 August 2014 - 05:46 PM) Http://bit.ly/1Ojvi2B : Why Would A Doctor With A Sense Of Integrity And Really Good Medical Quals Want To Work At This Thug Org? Central Office Ties Their Hands Too Boot.
@  autumn : (12 August 2014 - 05:46 PM) Http://hrld.us/1Rohsam : Progress? Only In The Va Thuggery Imagination. How Many Of Us Got Denied On Nonsensical Logic And Now Wait More Years?

Photo
- - - - -

Declared Incompetent What Do I Do?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 Boracay

Boracay

E-3 Seaman

• Third Class Petty Officers
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 02:22 AM

Hello fellow vets,

I been declared incompetent by the VA even though on by exam by the Fee Basis Doctor before the C and P exam said I could handle money. I don't want to have a third party manage my funds and it isn't a option. What steps do I take to not let this happen?

Advertise Here

#2 Berta

Berta

HadIt.com Elder/SVR Radio Panelist

• SVR
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28573 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 06:03 AM

"even though on by exam by the Fee Basis Doctor before the C and P exam said I could handle money."

Did VA mention that when they proposed incompetency?

These proposed incompetency letters have a time limit and should be responded to right away.

Can you prove you have your own checking account with no or very few overdrafts? ( Bank statements would prove that)

Do you have receipts from utilities or taxes or mortgage or car that you paid on time?

If you rent would your rental person sign a statement that they have no problems with getting your rent?

If they are withholding retro until this issue is resolved, can you obtain an independent medical opinion that supports that you are competent?

Do you get SSDI? If so do you get the check for that?

If SSA didn't declare you incompetent and you do get SSDI check with no payee-that is good proof that the VA is wrong.

#3 Pete53

Pete53

Moderator/HadIt.com Elder

• 21792 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 08:36 AM

Appeal the decision and use Berta's post to guide you. Also it is in your best interest to find someone to act for you and not allow the VA to appoint someone.

Having a checking account and making sure that bills are paid timely or on terms should get you off the hook. Your Service Officer should also have some information to help you.

Good Luck

#4 Berta

Berta

• SVR
  • 28573 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 08:45 AM

This case might help you too- to see hpw this veteran overcame the incompetency declaration by VA:

http://www4.va.gov/v...es2/1016976.txt

She was very persistent and it looked to me that one VA doctor's incomepetency opinion was mere speculation.

VA must have clear and convincing evidence to declare a vet incompetent.

#5 Boracay

Boracay

E-3 Seaman

• PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 06:46 PM

"even though on by exam by the Fee Basis Doctor before the C and P exam said I could handle money."

Did VA mention that when they proposed incompetency?

These proposed incompetency letters have a time limit and should be responded to right away.

Can you prove you have your own checking account with no or very few overdrafts? ( Bank statements would prove that)

Do you have receipts from utilities or taxes or mortgage or car that you paid on time?

If you rent would your rental person sign a statement that they have no problems with getting your rent?

If they are withholding retro until this issue is resolved, can you obtain an independent medical opinion that supports that you are competent?

Do you get SSDI? If so do you get the check for that?

If SSA didn't declare you incompetent and you do get SSDI check with no payee-that is good proof that the VA is wrong.

I can prove I have a banking account with over 25,000 dollars in it saved. I have receipts for utilities and rent. I can get the rental person to sign a statement I have no problems getting rent. I don't know if they are holding retro yet. I can obtain a medical opinion from a doctor and a lawyer. SSA declared me incompetent but they said after the edvidence that they are going to change it

#6 Berta

Berta

• SVR
  • 28573 posts

Posted 25 December 2010 - 05:58 AM

If I were you I would send them a 21-4138 form or a letter enclosing copies of this financial information ASAP. Are you still within any timeframe they gave you for a response?

#7 Boracay

Boracay

E-3 Seaman

• PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 25 December 2010 - 05:43 PM

If I were you I would send them a 21-4138 form or a letter enclosing copies of this financial information ASAP. Are you still within any timeframe they gave you for a response?

They sent the letter dated back 10 days ago. It look 7 days to get to me. whats the timeframe I will do that by the way.

#8 Berta

Berta

• SVR
  • 28573 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 06:51 AM

It might be a thirty day response period-I dont know- what does the letter say on that?

#9 Boracay

Boracay

E-3 Seaman

• PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 07:23 PM

It might be a thirty day response period-I dont know- what does the letter say on that?

lol nothing. It just said it is proposed...

#10 Berta

Berta

• SVR
  • 28573 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 07:04 AM

I strongly suggest that you get a hold of a vet rep from your local county or state veterans service agency-they often can make housecalls- and see if there is someone who can help you with this proposed incompetency as well as your A & A claim.

If VA awards you A & A, any retro will be held up until the incompetency issue is resolved.

#11 carlie

carlie

Moderator/Admin/HadIt.com Elder/SVR Radio Panelist

• Admin
  • 22006 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 08:08 PM

Berta,
He's in the Philippines.

He's also posted,
"SSA declared me incompetent but they said after the edvidence that they are going to change it"
I don't find any post saying SSA has now declared him competent to handle his own funds,
so until SSA makes a change this will probably still work against him.

I do know a vet that was declared by SSA competent to manage their finances
yet VBA declared him incompetent and stayed with an appointed fiduciary.
He tried to fight it a couple of years and finally gave up on it.

Advertise Here