Photo

Am I Missing Something

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
16 replies to this topic

#1 robert51

robert51

E-5 Petty Officer 2nd Class

• First Class Petty Officer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 11:45 PM

Thinking of moving to arizona as its on sale..... looked up bennies for 100% disabled vets... one hand it says if your 100% disabled VA you dont have to pay property tax's on house you live in.... but if you make to much money your not allowed to take this bennie.. so what is to much 14,000 a year so if your 100% you dont have to pay tax but if your 100% you make to much money ... confusing or am i just to dumb to read between the lines ???

#2 *Bergie*

*Bergie*

E-7 Chief Petty Officer

• Content Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 549 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 02:19 AM

Thinking of moving to arizona as its on sale..... looked up bennies for 100% disabled vets... one hand it says if your 100% disabled VA you dont have to pay property tax's on house you live in.... but if you make to much money your not allowed to take this bennie.. so what is to much 14,000 a year so if your 100% you dont have to pay tax but if your 100% you make to much money ... confusing or am i just to dumb to read between the lines ???

The money received from VA disability is untaxable/unclaimed income that does not have to be reported.
Bergie

#3 Tbird

Tbird

Founder HadIt.com established 1997

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 04:39 AM

This can get confusing for example we have real estate tax credit in my state, I have to check a box saying that I get VA benefits at 100% but I only list income from Social Security and that is the only income they count.

On the other hand about 2 years ago I had to file bankruptcy, they couldn't take any of my VA money, but they did count it as income to figure out what I would have to pay. I had to file a Chapter 13 and pay each month for 3 years, this is my last year. Yeah!

I imagine if they had not counted my VA my payments would have been lower, but they say it's legal to do it that way. So what you gonna do. I just pay it and hopefully this year will go by fast and I'll be all done with them.

I would call the office that handles this AZ and get the skinny from them.

#4 robert51

robert51

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 06:30 AM

But when you look at the Arizona web site it says.... LIST ALL INCOME from all sources

#5 Tbird

Tbird

Founder HadIt.com established 1997

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 06:51 AM

Call and talk to a real person and ask.

But when you look at the Arizona web site it says.... LIST ALL INCOME from all sources

#6 stillhere

stillhere

E-8 Senior Chief Petty Officer

• Senior Chief Petty Officer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1367 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 11:59 AM

This can get confusing for example we have real estate tax credit in my state, I have to check a box saying that I get VA benefits at 100% but I only list income from Social Security and that is the only income they count.

On the other hand about 2 years ago I had to file bankruptcy, they couldn't take any of my VA money, but they did count it as income to figure out what I would have to pay. I had to file a Chapter 13 and pay each month for 3 years, this is my last year. Yeah!

I imagine if they had not counted my VA my payments would have been lower, but they say it's legal to do it that way. So what you gonna do. I just pay it and hopefully this year will go by fast and I'll be all done with them.

I would call the office that handles this AZ and get the skinny from them.

Tbird, I had this happen to be recently in Virginia.

I put in for disability exemption for real estate taxes and when I filled out the paper work it only asked for SS payments and railroad I think? Anyhow did not put VA payments down. They called me and said they have to include ALL INCOME and that included my VA. With that added in and the wife's we made to much!?

Will not have to do that in Virginia now because they just passed an amendment to the Virginia constitution exempting all 100% P&T vets without regard to income! looking forward to not having to pay taxes!!

This is a great benefit finally in a state that lives and breathes military!

Edited by stillhere, 29 December 2010 - 02:53 PM.

#7 johnjjr

johnjjr

• Chief Petty Officers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 12:51 PM

stillhere,
Got my fingers crossed on that too. BUT it still has to be passed by the general assembly in January before it becomes law. Found that out when I inquired last week at the county clerk's office as to how to go about filing for the exemption. One more hoop to jump through.

#8 john999

john999

HadIt.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22380 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 04:18 PM

These are state laws and differ from state to state. In Florida where I live you must be P&T to get the property tax exemption.

#9 stillhere

stillhere

• 1367 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 02:51 PM

stillhere,
Got my fingers crossed on that too. BUT it still has to be passed by the general assembly in January before it becomes law. Found that out when I inquired last week at the county clerk's office as to how to go about filing for the exemption. One more hoop to jump through.

John the clerk is BSing you the amendment was passed by both houses before it was placed on the ballot! The only thing the different county governments need is how to handle the claims! The law passed and signed by the governor and then passed by referendum to amend the constitution clearly states Jan 1, 2011 as to the date it goes into effect.

Now my clerk did say that they probably will not have the operational part done until March but I have contacted my lender and asked them to waive any further escrow payment to my account based on this. I am refusing to send them anymore escrow money accept for insurance! Why should I send them money to earn interest on when it is going to be returned to me without interest??

The lender is doing some kind of investigation into it now and said they will get back to me. I just made my last two payments for the year minus any escrow because my taxes for half the year have been paid!

Trust me they don't like me much but the law is the law! I'll sue if they damage my credit or anything else and they know that.

I have a VA loan on the property so they better watch out if they want to keep their rating.

#10 robert51

robert51

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 01:27 AM

has anyone did anything toward property taxes in arizona....??? even if you cut out your va money they still want a income below 13,200 a year to include you and the wife .... my ss is 1,200 a month to looks like they will tell me no...

#11 Pete53

Pete53

Moderator/HadIt.com Elder

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21902 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 06:18 AM

Texas grants full exemption for 100% no income restrictions. What is nice about Texas is you can find almost or a combination of types of climates from Mountains to Oceans. No State Income Tax either not that it matters to me as I really don't have to file Income Tax return.

#12 Commander Bob

Commander Bob

E-9 Master Chief Petty Officer

• HadIt.com Elder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1616 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 07:08 PM

Texas grants full exemption for 100% no income restrictions. What is nice about Texas is you can find almost or a combination of types of climates from Mountains to Oceans. No State Income Tax either not that it matters to me as I really don't have to file Income Tax return.

Texas has come a long way in the last few years...

Florida sounds sweet too.

Cmdr. Bob

Attached Files

#13 robert51

robert51

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 01:39 AM

so has any one gotten a tax break in arizona and if so how..

#14 stillhere

stillhere

• 1367 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 11:18 AM

John the clerk is BSing you the amendment was passed by both houses before it was placed on the ballot! The only thing the different county governments need is how to handle the claims! The law passed and signed by the governor and then passed by referendum to amend the constitution clearly states Jan 1, 2011 as to the date it goes into effect.

Now my clerk did say that they probably will not have the operational part done until March but I have contacted my lender and asked them to waive any further escrow payment to my account based on this. I am refusing to send them anymore escrow money accept for insurance! Why should I send them money to earn interest on when it is going to be returned to me without interest??

The lender is doing some kind of investigation into it now and said they will get back to me. I just made my last two payments for the year minus any escrow because my taxes for half the year have been paid!

Trust me they don't like me much but the law is the law! I'll sue if they damage my credit or anything else and they know that.

I have a VA loan on the property so they better watch out if they want to keep their rating.

Well John, I must apologize and take the egg off my face!!

You were definitely right on this one! I just checked the Virginia legislature and the amendment has been added to the constitution but the county is still waiting for the LAW to be written on how to apply it.

I am still fighting with my mortgage holder and even the VA home loan guy said he can not help.

just another situation where the gov promises one thing and takes their on damn time with it. I even contacted my legislature and asked for help and he made a remark about millionaire vets! I told him that any 100% vet that made it as a millionaire was better than any legislature and should get the benefit too!!

#15 johnjjr

johnjjr

• Chief Petty Officers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 12:47 PM

stillhere,

No need to apologize and Idon't see any egg. The law is on the books. The key word is "Operational". The legislature will probably hem and haw for the next year or so on how to implement the law.(Or until they figure a way to recoup the lost revenue from passage of this law.) As to the millionaire remark, I would have told him: "I could buy you for what you are actually worth, but I would go bankrupt trying to sell you for what you think you're worth." If you remember any high school chemistry or biology, the human body isn't worth all that much. But these pompous a&# politicians seem to think they own the world.

#16 stillhere

stillhere

• 1367 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 10:10 AM

stillhere,

No need to apologize and Idon't see any egg. The law is on the books. The key word is "Operational". The legislature will probably hem and haw for the next year or so on how to implement the law.(Or until they figure a way to recoup the lost revenue from passage of this law.) As to the millionaire remark, I would have told him: "I could buy you for what you are actually worth, but I would go bankrupt trying to sell you for what you think you're worth." If you remember any high school chemistry or biology, the human body isn't worth all that much. But these pompous a&# politicians seem to think they own the world.

below is an email answer from my Virginia state senator:

The tax exemption will take effect immediately when the Governor signs Senator Puller's SB 987. I imagine that will take place some time in late February.

Thank you,

Sean Holihan
Legislative Aide
Sen. George Barker

Senator Barker,

I would appreciate it very much if you could give me an update as to when the tax exemption for 100% disabled veterans will be available.

I live in Fairfax county.

Robert, as far as Arizona have you contacted your state tax relief agent for your county? If you do not believe that the state has the right to count your VA benefits as income I would also speak to or email your state legislature.

#17 bobbyq

bobbyq

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 06:26 PM

I live in AZ and I filed for exemption and got it. Doesn't mean nada, I still end up paying the property tax. It is a very complex situation, the woman I contacted did not know anything about it and she worked there, she told me just fill it out and submit it. OK...........Got the exemptsion and I still pay................?????????? I do not know what is happening.