Search

Advertise Here

Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Tbird : (22 October 2014 - 05:26 AM) Britton Sent You A Pm
@  britton : (21 October 2014 - 10:05 PM) Tbird, I Sent A Donation To Hadit Via Pay Pal...i Hope You Got It?
@  raven316 : (21 October 2014 - 01:59 PM) Glasses
@  iceturkee : (20 October 2014 - 06:50 AM) Good Luck Plum
@  Notorious Kelly : (19 October 2014 - 06:32 AM) I Wish You All The Best With That, Plum!
@  me.plum : (18 October 2014 - 01:09 PM) Hearing For Bva 11-19 At 8:30 Wow!!! Thanks Everyone!!!
@  Tbird : (18 October 2014 - 12:30 PM) Buckeye46 Thank For Contributing Our Fund Raiser
@  Notorious Kelly : (17 October 2014 - 02:11 PM) Impressive Site, Kimmy. I Bookmarked. Thanks! :)
@  Kimmy : (17 October 2014 - 08:31 AM) I Recently Discover The Site. It Is Very Detailed With Info On Conditions And Ratings.
@  Kimmy : (17 October 2014 - 08:28 AM) Has Anyone Here Been To This Site? Http://www.militarydisabilitymadeeasy.com/
@  Tbird : (17 October 2014 - 08:06 AM) Snake Eyes Thank You For Remembering Us. Congratulations On Your Retro.
@  Snake Eyes : (16 October 2014 - 07:04 PM) Thinking Of Donating A Portion Of My Retro On Next Claim. Smaller Amount Coming Beginning Of November. Thanks For The Good Work!
@  britton : (13 October 2014 - 06:13 AM) Hi There T Bird Shout Backatcha
@  Tbird : (13 October 2014 - 06:04 AM) Britton Ahoy There Matey Give You A Shout Out Back
@  Tbird : (13 October 2014 - 06:00 AM) Thank You Michael M For Your Contribution To Our Funding Campaign
@  Tbird : (13 October 2014 - 05:57 AM) Thank You Elliot K For Your Contribution To Our Funding Campaign
@  Timothy11 : (12 October 2014 - 05:58 PM) Retro Pay
@  britton : (12 October 2014 - 10:10 AM) Hey Everyone!!!......i Give A Shout!!!.......:)
@  Notorious Kelly : (11 October 2014 - 04:18 PM) Hey- There's Britton Right On Top Of The Dealy Bobber!
@  britton : (11 October 2014 - 08:47 AM) Hi Everyone! I Enjoy Reading This Site &please Remember M Fellow Veteran Brothers & Sisters Knowledge Is Power!

Photo
- - - - -

How Does Va Long-term Care Effect Va Compensation?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
19 replies to this topic

#1 Amper Sand

Amper Sand

E-2 Recruit

• Seaman
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 June 2006 - 01:47 PM

Does a totally disabled retiree who is admitted to a VA hospital for permanent long-term nursing care, forfeit some or all of his VA disability compensation or military retirement pay while awaiting death in that facility? :unsure:

Logically it would seem the retiree would not continue to receive VA disability compensation while a patient in a VA nursing home facility -- that his VA compensation would be used to help defray the cost of his care.

Thanking everyone in advance for information. Several vets are curious and can't find a definitive answer.

Advertise Here

#2 Guest_frank_*GuestMember

Guest_frank_*GuestMember
  • Guests

Posted 16 June 2006 - 03:38 PM

Does a totally disabled retiree who is admitted to a VA hospital for permanent long-term nursing care, forfeit some or all of his VA disability compensation or military retirement pay while awaiting death in that facility? :unsure:

Logically it would seem the retiree would not continue to receive VA disability compensation while a patient in a VA nursing home facility -- that his VA compensation would be used to help defray the cost of his care.

Thanking everyone in advance for information. Several vets are curious and can't find a definitive answer.

THE ANSWER IS IN THE VETERANS HANDBOOK 2006, PAGE 14-15, FROM WHAT I AM READING THERE AR SEVERAL NURSING -HOME CARE -VA NURSING HOMES - STATE VETERANS HOMES- CONTRACT NURSING HOMES, IT DOES NOT STATE ANYTHING ABOUT PAYMENTS ONLY YOU MAY HAVE TO PAY A CO-PAY FROM WHAT THEY STATE . I WOULD THINK IF YOU WERE 100% THERE WOULD BE NO CO-PAY FRANK

#3 john999

john999

HadIt.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22262 posts

Posted 16 June 2006 - 03:48 PM

Frank

You have to be at least 70% service connected to get into a VA nursing home for long term care.

#4 Guest_frank_*GuestMember

Guest_frank_*GuestMember
  • Guests

Posted 16 June 2006 - 04:41 PM

Frank
You have to be at least 70% service connected to get into a VA nursing home for long term care.

JOHN YOU ARE RIGHT AND WRONG,READING ON PAGE 14 IN 2006 FEDERAL BENEFITS,YOU ARE RIGHT AFTER 70% IT GOES ON TO SAY OR-WHO REQUIRE NURSING HOME CARE BECAUSE OR A SERVICE CONNECTED DISABILITY TRICKY STATEMENT UNDER THAT STATMENT 10% WOULD MAKE IIT. FRANK

#5 john999

john999

HadIt.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • 22262 posts

Posted 16 June 2006 - 07:58 PM

Frank

Very tricky!!! If you are 100% I think you can avoid that trap and get the care if it is available. I wonder if they would just pay for the home you are in and not send you to a VA home. That I don't want, ever unless I am senile and then I won't care.

#6 Guest_frank_*GuestMember

Guest_frank_*GuestMember
  • Guests

Posted 18 June 2006 - 06:01 AM

Frank

Very tricky!!! If you are 100% I think you can avoid that trap and get the care if it is available. I wonder if they would just pay for the home you are in and not send you to a VA home. That I don't want, ever unless I am senile and then I won't care.

JOHN, I CAN ONLY STATE WHAT I KNOW. MY BROUTHER SERVED 30 YS IN SERVICE, HE HAS BEEN IA A VETERANS HOME,20 YS, HE IS IN MENLO PARK, ABOUT 5 MILES FROM ME.I DO KNOW HE IS GIVING MONEY FOR PERSONAL NEEDS. THIS PLACE IS LIKE A COUNTRY CLUB. WE LIVE IN NEW JERSEY,WE ALSO HAVE A HOME IN BRADENTON,FLORIDE WHERE WE SPEND WINTERS.VA CARE IS VERY BAD IN FLORIDA,
I DON,T TRUST THE FLORIDA PRIVATE DOCTORS AT ALL. NEW JERSE STATE IS VERY GOOD TO VETERANS, I THINK MENLO PARK IS RUN BY THE STATE. SO YOU MAY WANTE TO CHECK YOUR STATE BENIFITS. WHY ARE YOU SO INSTREASTED IN NURSING HOMES DO YOU PLAN TO GO TO SOON? YOU BETTER THINK ABOUT BEING SENILE, THOSE OLD LADIES AND MEN WOULD HAVE A BALL WITH YOU. FRANK

#7 Guest_frank_*GuestMember

Guest_frank_*GuestMember
  • Guests

Posted 18 June 2006 - 06:03 AM

Frank

#8 Guest_frank_*GuestMember

Guest_frank_*GuestMember
  • Guests

Posted 18 June 2006 - 06:34 AM

JOHN, I CAN ONLY STATE WHAT I KNOW. MY BROUTHER, WAS IN SERVICE 30 YS, FOR THL LAST 20 YS,HE IS IN A STATE RUN NURSING HOME. I KNOE HE IS GIVEN MONEY FOR PERSONAL NEEDS.YOU NEED TO CHECK.YOUR STATE BENIFITS,. WHERE MY BROTHER IS IT,S LIKE A COUNTRY CLUB. WE LIVE IN NEW JERSEY. I MUST SAY,ASIDE OF THE ROVA,VETERANS HERE GET TOP CARE. WE HAVE A HOME IN BRADENTON,FLAI WILL NEVER USE THE VA SYSTEM OR DOCTORS IN FLORIDA. WHY ARE YOU SO INTRESTED IN NURSING HOMES? DO YOU PLAN GOING INTO ONE SOON?AND IF YOU WERE SENILE,THOSE OLD LADIES AND MEN WOOULD HAVE A BALL WITH YOU. FRANK

#9 Guest_Dataman_*GuestMember

Guest_Dataman_*GuestMember
  • Guests

Posted 18 June 2006 - 09:20 AM

Good Info.

Frank. Do you need a NEW KEYBOARD? Seems your is stuck in YELLING MODE.

IT"S hard TO READ WHEN YOU TYPE IN ALL CAPS. IF YOU JUST COME FROM a TypeWRITER and NOT JUST USED to the COMPUter this MIGHT HELP!
\
http://pubs.logicale...icle.asp?ID=389 :unsure:

#10 john999

john999

HadIt.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • 22262 posts

Posted 18 June 2006 - 10:30 AM

Frank

My mother was killed by a nursing home in Florida. I took care of two of my relatives who were in nursing homes. I am afraid of them as you might suspect. Even though I have TDIU I still pay for long term insurance for me and my wife. I sued the nursing home that neglected my mother and won half a million for the estate. I know a little about medicade and the "look back" law. If you are not concerned about it you should be I promise you. The national average for a nursing home today is about $60,000 a year. Imagine dealing with the VA over this!

#11 Pete53

Pete53

Moderator/HadIt.com Elder

• 21866 posts

Posted 18 June 2006 - 02:23 PM

I was of the opinion that after 90 days the VA cut your Disability Pay to 10% if you were on the VA's dime at the nursing home. I had heard rumors that if the Veteran was in a home that they could petition the VA to pay the spouse the 90% but it is all very confusing and I would very much like to hear the facts from a Hadit expert.

Also as I feel right now I would rather eat a bullet than go to a nursing home.

#12 john999

john999

HadIt.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • 22262 posts

Posted 18 June 2006 - 05:20 PM

Peter

Hmmm.... I think you need to consider if you spouse is alive or passed on before you take the gaspipe.
It is a realistic consideration. You eat the bullet will your life insurance pay off or do heirs get stuck. I think a nice assisted suicide with all the friends present and being able to say goodbyes would be a nice way to go out. You know if you go to the nursing home that is the end of the line. If you just need help and are not being tube fed it could be OK. In my living will I have no tubes or ventilator jazz. I want my wife to pull the plug if I am going to be brain dead or wear a diaper. All this stuff depends of your general state of health. If I am bad off I want my wife or whoever to do a "DNR" order on me. I told her if it is just an infected hang nail not to kick the plug from the wall. This is why I try to be nice. Take a large dose of Versed and you won't know and you won't care. I sometimes think dogs and cats get a better deal than us humans. They get a shot and it is lights out and then peace.

#13 Berta

Berta

HadIt.com Elder/SVR Radio Panelist

• SVR
  • 28822 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 04:35 PM

1968- the quote you gave -is this from AARP?

Also is there a rigamorale in applying for Long Term Health Care policies?

My tax man said most people never go into a nursing home anyhow -so he didnt advise me to get it.

But that quote you gave does not seem high for what I think these policies entail.

Good question on the VA nursing homes-I have never found a straight answer on what they cost the vet-

I believe a vet has to be at least 60% service connected these days to get into a VA nursing home.But I think many NSC vets were grandfathered in when that became a law.

Does anyone have some info on the VA's nursing home criteria and how that works?

#14 john999

john999

HadIt.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • 22262 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 06:21 PM

I got long term care policies with good companies for five year terms with inflation kickers. It was about 118.00 a month. I got these policies when I and my wife were about 50 years old. The older you get the more expensive, of course. If you have certain types of chronic diseases you won't qualify usually. At leasat half of people will end up in nursing homes. It is now about 50-60 thousans a year. In ten years it will be 75-100 thousand a year for a decent home. This should be part of a financial plan if you have any assets at all you want to pass to kids. The nursing home bill will also make life hard for the other spouse if that person is alive.

#15 Guest_frank_*GuestMember

Guest_frank_*GuestMember
  • Guests

Posted 10 July 2006 - 06:41 AM

hi john, i wonder why you need long term insurance, when tou are 100%,va does pay for nursing homes, my brother has been in one for 15 ys, he is a 30 yr retired veteran. he is in a state home , this place is like a country club, it,s in menlo park nj frank

#16 john999

john999

HadIt.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • 22262 posts

Posted 10 July 2006 - 01:37 PM

Frank

I guess I want options. My mother died through nursing home malpractice. I sued the heck out of them but the damage was done. I am willing to pay for options and that is why I keep my private health insurance. If you get the long term care insurance when you are fairly young it is not that expensive. If you wait then it gets very expensive. If I could be sure of the kind of care I would get then I would go with the VA. I live in Florida so you know there are just millions of vets competing for any kind of care.

#17 Guest_anfrnkie_*GuestMember

Guest_anfrnkie_*GuestMember
  • Guests

Posted 10 July 2006 - 07:28 PM

I got long term care policies with good companies for five year terms with inflation kickers. It was about 118.00 a month. I got these policies when I and my wife were about 50 years old. The older you get the more expensive, of course. If you have certain types of chronic diseases you won't qualify usually. At leasat half of people will end up in nursing homes. It is now about 50-60 thousans a year. In ten years it will be 75-100 thousand a year for a decent home. This should be part of a financial plan if you have any assets at all you want to pass to kids. The nursing home bill will also make life hard for the other spouse if that person is alive.

john,i had a long term policy,but droped it when i got 100% but my wife has one, i feel as i could go into the place my brother is,if i had to all my investments, i have pod,on so if anything happend to me or my wife it,s already set up to go to the children, new jersey has some good state homes for veterans,i don.t knoe about florida. anfrnkie

#18 Guest_anfrnkie_*GuestMember

Guest_anfrnkie_*GuestMember
  • Guests

Posted 10 July 2006 - 07:40 PM

1968- the quote you gave -is this from AARP?

Also is there a rigamorale in applying for Long Term Health Care policies?

My tax man said most people never go into a nursing home anyhow -so he didnt advise me to get it.

But that quote you gave does not seem high for what I think these policies entail.
Good question on the VA nursing homes-I have never found a straight answer on what they cost the vet-

I believe a vet has to be at least 60% service connected these days to get into a VA nursing home.But I think many NSC vets were grandfathered in when that became a law.

Does anyone have some info on the VA's nursing home criteria and how that works?

hi breta i have new name,got a new computor today and for some reason,i could not get on,but this is frank,my friend is in a state nursing home in new jersey, he was in army 30 ys,i know they take a percnnt for home but he does get money as well his penson wasn,t that great,only 950 per month but he retired long ago,this is a state veteran home in menlo park nj very nice he gets excellent care anfrnkie

#19 mssoup1

mssoup1

E-5 Petty Officer 2nd Class

• Chief Petty Officers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 04:16 AM

[font=Arial][size=3]

1968 mentioned in his post of being misdiagnosed and having confused records. It is very important for any veteran, whether they have a claim in or not, to always get a copy of their medical records after each visit and read over them to ensure they are correct. If they are not, then you need to take a copy of them back to your doctor and point out to them the areas that are not correct and have them to correct it. Having the wrong information in a doctors report could/can cause a lot of problems for you in the future.

My husband has received copies of some of his reports, and I do believe that before they were entered into the system, they had my husband mixed up with another veteran. I have even seen things written into a report as though my husband was asked about this, but he never was. I know, I was there with him. So, how did this information get asked and answered in this report.

JMO

mssoup1

#20 Guest_jangrin_*GuestMember

Guest_jangrin_*GuestMember
  • Guests

Posted 11 July 2006 - 08:58 AM

Hi everyone,

We just got our copy of my husbands VAMC records. Well... we requested a copy of ALL his records. Guess what? Some of the records are not there. These are records that are not even a few months old. So we went down in person and requested the missing records by date. They called us and said the additional records were ready. Got there and they still did not supply ALL the records. This time were are faxing the record request.

Everyone needs to not only get a copy of records right away, but also keep a diary or log stating date and who the appt was with and what happened and what was said at that appointment, because by the time you get the record you may forget what took place.

Jangrin :unsure:

Advertise Here