E-3 Seaman

• Seaman
  • PipPipPip
  • 28 posts
  • Service Connected Disability: 90%
  • Branch of Service: USN

Posted 24 January 2011 - 12:54 AM

Hello,

Been a while since I've posted, and I spent a few hours trying to find the answers to my quesitions tonight.
I do want to extend my thanks to T-bird, Berta, and all the Elders who support this site. Because of you I'm now rated 60% instead of 10%. :biggrin:

Currently, I'm trudging the road toward Voc Rehab approval, and here is the situ.

I finish my Accounting Degree in 8 months.
I applied for VR in Nov to get my masters degree.
Getting a CPA license now requires 150 college credits.
The masters program starts Spring 2012; Fall 2011 in not realistic.

Met with counselor.
Dr. Cleared me for training.
VRC told me to gather ALL the education info for getting a CPA license.
I submitted it, and he's asking for an "Education Plan".
I have to finish my Accounting Degree before getting into the Master Program.
Counselor, says my application can't stay in "one" status to long, and he is asking my permission to "disconnect my claim".

1. What is an "Education Plan"?
2. Should I disconnect my claim, and reapply in 2/3 months?
3. Should I keep it active, and move forward?
4. Is keeping an application in "one status" a real issue for the VRC, and/or me?
5. What's the big deal on time? It's takes a lot of time, and work to prep for Grad School anyway.
6. HOW do I keep this alive, and moving forward?

Again, thank you all for your dedication to helping Vets.
I had many dark nights at sea, and for 5 years after discharge.
Discovering Hadit was like seeing the crack of dawn, and experiencing the calm after a Typhoon in the South Pacific.

Advertise Here

#2 Berta

Berta

HadIt.com Elder/SVR Radio Panelist

• SVR
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28463 posts
  • Interests:tactical warfare student- AMU
    gardening
    fishing
    Oriental home design
    organic cleaning tips
    Capt Adoph Von Shell-interested in any info at all!
    German Commander (WWI)lectured to the US Army after the war on warfare-- PTSD - tactics etc-and Leadership
    The Pullers-Chesty and Lewis (USMC)
    chocolate brownies
    anything at all regarding Vietnam
    the failure of the Maginot Line (WWII)
    Trench warfare
    anything amphibious

Led Zepplin, Bob Dylan, Sting, Al Green, Mozart, Classical guitar,Moog synthesizer, Eminem,Janis Joplin,
    Michael Jackson, Teddy Pendergast, Mongo Santamaria,
    Cal Tjader, Miles Davis, AmerIndian battle chants,
    Hendrix,etc etc etc
    Pho and nuc mam dinners
  • Service Connected Disability: widow of 2 vets, 2 HD each and mother of USAF vet-my daughter

Posted 24 January 2011 - 09:49 AM

I think he means by an Education plan, what yor future goals are as to what the education will mean to you in terms of employment.

Actually it sounds like you have already presented this to him.

"Counselor, says my application can't stay in "one" status to long, and he is asking my permission to "disconnect my claim".

I suggest that you if go to the VA web site and access all of the Voc Rehab info there as I don't think he can support a 'disconnect' with any regulation.

I am a Chapter 35er (DEA)

My Education plan on the app was one sentence.But DEA is different from Voc Rehab.

I told them my Certification was to be sent to the American Military University as, since I was civilian and veteran advocate, I needed to learn warfare tactics and battlefield command as the VA claims process was a paper battlefield.

But in your case -I think the advise you got is questionable.

Sometimes I had to wait out periods of semester time in order to get the next course I needed to take.I did have a delimiting date and it ran out but my award last year has extended it.

In that respect you are presenting a logical reason:

"The masters program starts Spring 2012; Fall 2011 in not realistic."

Do you have a VA counselor at the college?

They as well as the Voc Rehab info at VA main web site might be able to help you here.

Is there anything in your Voc Rehab documents as to any delimiting date?

My husband was Voc Rehab and I dont recall any specific time frame they gave him at all but I could be wrong.

I commend you! College is HARD work!

#3 Berta

Berta

• SVR
  • 28463 posts
    gardening
    fishing
    Oriental home design
    organic cleaning tips
    German Commander (WWI)lectured to the US Army after the war on warfare-- PTSD - tactics etc-and Leadership
    chocolate brownies
    Trench warfare
    anything amphibious

Led Zepplin, Bob Dylan, Sting, Al Green, Mozart, Classical guitar,Moog synthesizer, Eminem,Janis Joplin,
    Hendrix,etc etc etc
    Pho and nuc mam dinners
  • Service Connected Disability: widow of 2 vets, 2 HD each and mother of USAF vet-my daughter

Posted 24 January 2011 - 09:54 AM

Gee there IS an eligibility limiting date:

http://www.vba.va.gov/bln/vre/

However it can be extended as the info states.

Maybe your Voc Rehab guy is concerned over the date limits.

You are now 60% SC however and that alone should possibly warrant an extention of the limiting dates as I understand this VA info on Voc Rehab.

#4 ping jockey

ping jockey

E-3 Seaman

• Seaman
  • PipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 06:56 PM

My Counselors response!!

Any suggestioins??

Mr.,

I am basing my recommendations on your previous email dated 1/15/11.
If you have everything in place and you are ready to go this Spring 2011, I don't see any issue supporting your training at CSUEB.
I receved the clearance from your medical provider allowing you to participate in rehab training.
My understanding is that you have to complete CSUEB requirements, e.g., GMAT, etc prior you entering their programs.
My concern is, your case can only stay in one status for a limited period of time and cannot stay in one status until Fall 2011.
But if you are ready to participate this SP 2011, please provide me with information relevant to your training, specifically, an educational plan from CSUEB.
Please advise.
Thank you.

#5 Berta

Berta

• SVR
  • 28463 posts
    gardening
    fishing
    Oriental home design
    organic cleaning tips
    chocolate brownies
    Trench warfare
    anything amphibious

Hendrix,etc etc etc
    Pho and nuc mam dinners

Posted 27 January 2011 - 04:00 PM

If I were you I would read over 38 CFR Chapter 31. Maybe he is right about the status and lmits on time period.

http://cfr.vlex.com/...hapter-19777874

You will get,at ths site, a pop from a Military lawyer and can ask him/her your question too.

#6 chucknewcomb

chucknewcomb

E-4 Petty Officer 3rd Class

• Second Class Petty Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Service Connected Disability: 30%
  • Branch of Service: army

Posted 19 February 2011 - 12:30 PM

when your counselor asked for a educational plan from csueb. I believe she meant a degree plan. Thats what my counselor wanted and this link goes to what I gave her and she was satisfied with it.my educational plan
  • ping jockey likes this

#7 ping jockey

ping jockey

E-3 Seaman

• Seaman
  • PipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 11:01 PM

when your counselor asked for a educational plan from csueb. I believe she meant a degree plan. Thats what my counselor wanted and this link goes to what I gave her and she was satisfied with it.my educational plan

Hello, T-Bird, Berta, All,

Thanks Chucknewcomb. After running around for a few weeks, I finally got the "Ed Plan", and as you all said; it was the simple Ed Plan sheet's the School uses to develop a plan.

I submitted it to my VRC, and he shot back an email with an OBVIOUS assumption that most people would regard as an attempt to "scuttle" the case. My relatioinship with my VRC is fair, but he's looking for a way out, AND I AM NOT GOING AWAY.

What I'd like to know is how to gracefully request a new Counselor. I'm about to get approved for the program, and once I do I'd like to have a new VRC for the duration. I don't trust this guy, and I need all the help the program has to offer: training, health, submsitance etc.

Any sage words of wisdom would be appreciated.

#8 chucknewcomb

chucknewcomb

• PipPipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 11:22 PM

sorry you are having problems with your counselor I must be one of the lucky ones to get a good one first time I wish you could have the same one as I have but the bad news is she is gonna retire half way through my schooling

make sure they get you a new computer for school
they will give you forms for reimbursement of stuff like printer cartridges, internet service
i get 35 a semester added to my school acct for supplies
just wish i could get transportation covered its 50 miles one way

#9 Pete53

Pete53

Moderator/HadIt.com Elder

• 21753 posts
  • Interests:My Family
  • Service Connected Disability: 100%
  • Branch of Service: USA

Posted 12 April 2011 - 04:32 AM

ping

My advise is if you want to change anything not on your degree plan to talk to your voc rehab councilor. They are very anal about any changes even when it only an elective

#10 Aquabear

Aquabear

• PipPipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  • Service Connected Disability: 20%

Posted 12 April 2011 - 12:26 PM

Your right - DON'T GO AWAY!!! Be strong, dont give up keep trying. I am in Voc Rehab and I now have a great cousleor who has whole heartedly helped me, gotten me extras and truly wants me to succeed.

I have also had terrible counselors, never helped, rude, cold, bitchy but I requested 3 times over many weeks and then FINALLY got a new great counselor! You have to just keep trying, you may have to submit things (ie new counselor request) 2,3,4 times before you get what you want and MAY have to include their managers or go higher if that dosent work. I am proof of that,YOU CAN DO IT- Yeah it's not easy, can suck at times, an make you stress out but with support on here or family, wife,friend,dog whatever keep trying my brother veteran. And good luck.

YES -earlier post said Voc Rehab can get you a laptop and even a printer- you need to speak to a school counselor and have them simly type a letter saying you need a laptop because your SC issues make it hard to use the on campus Compuer lab- it allows you to do your work on your laptop at home wher YOU will be more COMFORTABLE. But make sure you smile to that school counselor/advisor when asking for it, they may feel uncomfortable with writing it as many have never seen this before.

Good luck mi amigo!
PS:you will be less stressed in changing counselors as well so you can focus better on your studies and complating education - put this in ur letter! Make ur letter about this being a necessary positive change but do so being logical, respectful, no foul language but demanding- you are a disabled veteran and have earned these rights, your served, put yourself to protect your country and now you need her to help you succeed!

Edited by Aquabear, 12 April 2011 - 12:30 PM.

#11 rpowell01

rpowell01

E-6 Petty Officer 1st Class

• Senior Chief Petty Officer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts
  • Interests:Trying to deal with my pain. Everyday, all day. Research, research and more research.
  • Branch of Service: Army

Posted 20 April 2011 - 03:08 PM

I am a great example of the eligibility dates on this. I was SC'd back in 1997 but I still am qualified for Vocational Rehab qualifying limit of 12 years. Two reasons; first my SC'd is aggravated by my current position. Here is the story. In 1990 I was certified as a Florida Corrections Officer. It was in 1994 I was discharged for my injuries from active duty. Well I went back into Corrections at that point. In 2002 I took some classes in Information Systems and in 2003 I obtain a nice career change in IT. Well, in 2009 that position was eliminated so I had not choice but to go back in Corrections (believe me that was the last thing I wanted to do because I knew what would happen). Well it is 2011 and because of my current position aggravating my SCd condition the VA Counselor told me they had a Legal Obligation to approve me for Vocational Rehab.

As for disconnecting your claim, you can disconnect it anytime and then activate it again. Once you are approved you are approved from what my counselor stated.

#12 Pete53

Pete53

Moderator/HadIt.com Elder

• 21753 posts
  • Interests:My Family
  • Branch of Service: USA

Posted 20 April 2011 - 03:27 PM

I think that the 12 years runs from when you get service connected.

#13 chucknewcomb

chucknewcomb

• PipPipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 07:33 PM

I think that the 12 years runs from when you get service connected.

there is exceptions to that 12 year rule while you may have lost your gi bill the eligibility for voc rehab can be extended

#14 rpowell01

rpowell01

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts
  • Interests:Trying to deal with my pain. Everyday, all day. Research, research and more research.

Posted 21 April 2011 - 06:47 PM

Veterans are eligible if they:

• Have received, or will receive, a discharge that is other than dishonorable
  • Have a service-connected disability rating of at least 10%, or a memorandum rating of 20% or more from the Department of Veteran Affairs (VA)
  • Apply for Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment (VR&E) VetSuccess services

Basic period of Eligibility

The basic period of eligibility in which VR&E VetSuccess services may be used is 12 years from the latter of the following:

• Date of separation from active military service, or
  • Date the veteran was first notified by VA of a service-connected disability rating.

#15 ping jockey

ping jockey

E-3 Seaman

• Seaman
  • PipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 09:36 PM

Vets, Families, and Friends,

Thanks for your inputs; it's been helpful.
Hopefully this paves a new path for Vets/Families in my wake.
For those discovering this later here's a summary of my experience:

SC at 0% in 1995 upon discharge, and increased to 10% 2002.
2009 applied for Voc-Rehab (Chap 31) at 10% SC........."Deee-NIED" immediately.
2009, found Hadit.com resource, and bumped into old retired Shipmate (Chief) who was now a DAV rep....God send.
He's explained how the process and rating system works in General.
My "POA" (Power of Attorney) was with the VA.....HELLLLOOOO....wrong place for that kind of authority.
Late 2009, transferred my POA to DAV Rep, submitted claims according to his instructions.
September 2010, 9 mos later SC increased to 60% for a condition characterized as "SECONDARY TO A PRIMARY CONDITION".
A SECONDARY TO condition is for "OTHER" bodily systems that are effected by a primary condition.....THIS IS IMPORTANT!!
Reapplied for Voc-Rehab in 2010; as I was about to finish my Accounting Degree. Need 150 College Units now to get a CPA license.
VRC (Voc-Rehab Counselor) had no problems approving me, BUT wanted to CLOSE IT because I wasn't about to START training in 90 days or so.
The University folks were not helpful at first; the Master's Degree Office said "we never heard of an Eduction Plan".
I ran around the University for a month (delay worked to my advantage) trying to find the department that will create an Eduction Plan.
Befriend an English Exchange Student in the Master Degree Office; AND low and behold they HAD examples; JUST like everyone said on HADIT.
I have an appointment May 12, to finalize my Education Plan.

Current Status and issue?????:

I've compiled an Education Plan, sent it to my VRC, and have an appointment May 12, 2011.
The School requires I take the GMAT, and a review course in both Statistics, and College Algebra.
Fulfilling these requirements definitely puts me past the 23 month, and 21 days of Chap 31 Benefits remaining.
There is an alternative (and better program) school that would waive these requirement based on my experience, and 3.76 GPA.
The benefits of this alternative plan are as follows:
I can complete school in 12-18 months instead of 24-30 months (I ONLY have 23 months of benefits left).
I can get back to work SOONER, and the commuting arrangement saves me cost.
Most importantly the commute arrangement accommodates less stress, by permitting me to study or cat nap on the hour long Ferry ride.
What's most important to me is getting started sooner, finishing sooner, and the commute, study, and stress arrangement.

QUESTION:

Should I bring this "ALTERNATIVE PLAN" to my VRC attention before my May 12 appointment?
Should I just compile all the information, and then meet with him to discuss it?
I don't want to derail what I have in the pipeline, and need to gracefully steer this in the other direction.
My thoughts are to notify him immediately so he doesn't do a bunch of work on a plan that is "SECONDARY".

As always, with gratitude to my fellow Vets, and the families who support our troops.

Edited by ping jockey, 23 April 2011 - 09:40 PM.

#16 rpowell01

rpowell01

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 07:27 PM

I would just gather all the information you need that is stated on Va Form 28-8606. My Counselor stated that she has to write out the plan. I took everything to her yesterday and it was approved. Today she emailed me all the contracts I had to signed and I scanned them and sent them back. Now I await for May 2. If the school gets the voucher in time I will start May 2, if not then I will have to wait until July 5. I have trust in my counselor because I found out if you work with them they will bust their butts for you, well mine has so far. Hope it works out for you...

#17 chucknewcomb

chucknewcomb

• PipPipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 10:30 PM

FINALS WEEK help me from pulling my hair out

#18 Kimmy

Kimmy

E-3 Seaman

• Seaman
  • PipPipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Service Connected Disability: 40%
  • Branch of Service: US Army

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:50 AM

I know this response may be late.  But I am a CPA. Please inbox me with any questions.     

#19 john999

john999

HadIt.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • 22161 posts
  • Interests:VA law and history of the Blues

Posted 09 January 2013 - 04:40 PM

The last post on this subject was 2011. Bring us up to date, Kimmy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertise Here