Search

Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup
@  cragwex : (15 September 2014 - 10:22 AM) Asking For T & P
@  NeverGiveUp : (14 September 2014 - 01:19 PM) Got Denial Letter From Va On Friday, Having Surgery For Hip This Friday Need Advice
@  Tbird : (13 September 2014 - 02:39 PM) Thank You Notorious
@  Notorious Kelly : (12 September 2014 - 02:52 PM) Happy To See The Donate Button For Hadit. No Pressure If You're Struggling But Give If You Can!
@  vet201060 : (11 September 2014 - 11:49 PM) Got The Dea Letter For Pain Killers Today. Interesting To See How This Actually Effects Us Getting Our Meds
@  bad@57 : (11 September 2014 - 07:07 PM) Hello Vets, Had A Very successful Bva Hearing August 20, 2014. Submitting Final Paperwork To Judge For Decision. Wish Me Luck As I Do All!
@  dereekbanks : (11 September 2014 - 12:49 PM) Still No Letter In The Mail, But I Think I Was Denied. Feeling Depressed!
@  dereekbanks : (11 September 2014 - 12:48 PM) Claim Closed On The 8Th, Its 3 Days Later And Ebenefits Still Shows My Same Old Rating.
@  Rotor Head : (11 September 2014 - 06:20 AM) Remember, The 'e' In Ebennies Stands For Entertainment. :blink:
@  ssgtob1 : (11 September 2014 - 05:14 AM) Got Back In, No Change The Last 10 Times I Checked It :(
@  Notorious Kelly : (10 September 2014 - 07:45 PM) Ebenefits Is Back "up" (But I Can't Do Anything In It) ;)
@  carlie : (10 September 2014 - 05:14 PM) Good - They Should Be Helping The Vets In The Virgin Islands - They Should Be Helping All Vets That Can't Earn A Living Due To Something They Experienced On Active Duty.
@  lcurle : (10 September 2014 - 04:37 PM) I Saw On Va.gov That They Are Helping The Homeless Vets In The Us Virgin Islands....im In!
@  lcurle : (10 September 2014 - 04:35 PM) You Must Be A Patient Man To Check It Only Every 10 Minutes, I Hit F5 Every 3 Seconds!
@  ssgtob1 : (10 September 2014 - 12:45 PM) Ebenefits Is Down :( Now I Cant Check It Every 10 Minutes
@  Gastone : (10 September 2014 - 04:25 AM) Heads Up! The 2013 Cbo Report Big Savings By Taxing Comp And Eliminating Iu Past 65 Starting In 2015. Not A Done Deal, Yet! Yrs Of Age.
@  carlie : (09 September 2014 - 06:12 PM) Dereekbanks - No - That Does Not Mean You Were Denied. They Do Not Update Ebenefits On A Daily Basis.
@  dereekbanks : (09 September 2014 - 05:27 AM) Ebenefits Shows My Claim Closed Yesterday, But My Benefit Letter Looks The Same. Does That Mean I Was Denied?
@  dereekbanks : (09 September 2014 - 05:24 AM) Thanks For The Replies!
@  iceturkee : (08 September 2014 - 02:48 PM) I Just Got My Allowance Less Than A Week After The Disapproved Was Changed To Approved

Photo
- - - - -

Been Trying To Get A 100% Id Card..and The Va Is Playing Games

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
36 replies to this topic

#1 leftyf

leftyf

E-3 Seaman

• Seaman
  • PipPipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 12:31 AM

Received this email this evening. I'm so damned confused about what I'm entitled to..and most of the veteran help boards are useless as they use the term ID Card, MWR Card, Commissary & PX card" VA...etc, interchangeably. I've talked to other 100% vets and they got MWR, and it was included on their ID card, as a matter of course, on one ID card, not two.

Are they using two cards now?? If two cards are being issued, how long is the *MWR* card good for?? My only real reason for getting the card is for the MWR priveleges

Any help would be appreciated. I cannot be the only person in the VA system having h*ll getting a simple d*mned ID Card.

Here's their message:
From: Dept of Veterans Affairs <iris_service@mailps.custhelp.com>
To: XXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Subject: [Inquiry: 110121-001748]
Date: 01/24/2011 06:26:10 PM

Recently you requested personal assistance from our on-line support center. Below is a summary of your request and our response.

If this issue is not resolved to your satisfaction, you may reopen it within the next 31 days.

If you wish to update this inquiry, please click on Reply and enter your additional question.

Please do not re-enter your name, file number, social security number or other personal information you have already provided to us in this Inquiry. Please just enter your question or comments.

Thank you for allowing us to be of service to you.

Discussion Thread
Response Via Email (Department of Veterans Affairs) 01/24/2011 06:26 PM
Dear Mr. XXXXXXXXl:

This is in response to your January 21, 2011, inquiry to the Department of Veterans Affairs.

You are only entitled to commissary and exchange store privileges through 100 percent service connected disability. Morale Wellness and Recreation (MWR) benefits are not included with these privileges. We suggest you contact your local base for eligibility criteria for MWR privileges. If you need another commissary letter please respond to this inquiry and provide us with your claim number or Social Security number.

Thank you for contacting us. If you have questions or need additional help with the information in our reply, please respond to this message or see our other contact information below.

Sincerely yours,

E. J. Kruse
National IRIS Response Center Manager
pac

How to Contact VA:

Online:
www.va.gov

By phone:
(800) 827-1000
(800) 829-4833 (TDD hearing impaired)

By fax:
(540) 597-1792

Advertise Here

#2 jbasser

jbasser

Moderator/HadIt.com Elder/SVR Radio Panelist

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6203 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 07:02 AM

Are you Permanent and total? No future exams scheduled, CHamp VA Ect?

If so, then this IRIS is totally wrong.

They specify on the access on the ID card.

J

#3 stillhere

stillhere

E-8 Senior Chief Petty Officer

• Senior Chief Petty Officer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1363 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 08:02 AM

OK I went through this a little when I got my ID, privileges card, ID card or whatever. You need to go to the base where you are planning on using the cards website. Most have a website.

if you are not computer saffy send me the base and I will see what you need for you and post.

I most warn you all bases are different but I agree with you MOST offer the same 3 to 100% disabled Exchange, commissary, and MWR!

#4 leftyf

leftyf

E-3 Seaman

• Seaman
  • PipPipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 09:28 AM

OK I went through this a little when I got my ID, privileges card, ID card or whatever. You need to go to the base where you are planning on using the cards website. Most have a website.

if you are not computer saffy send me the base and I will see what you need for you and post.

I most warn you all bases are different but I agree with you MOST offer the same 3 to 100% disabled Exchange, commissary, and MWR!

I'm currently in Norfolk, VA...and there are a boatload of places to get the ID card. I've talked to the majority of them about getting the card is no problem now that the VA has sent me 3 separate but different letters authorizing PX & commissary privs...and the local VA ain't got a clue.

Thanks, if you find out anything more plese let me know.

#5 stillhere

stillhere

• 1363 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 02:34 PM

I'm currently in Norfolk, VA...and there are a boatload of places to get the ID card. I've talked to the majority of them about getting the card is no problem now that the VA has sent me 3 separate but different letters authorizing PX & commissary privs...and the local VA ain't got a clue.

Thanks, if you find out anything more plese let me know.

Well I am in VA also near Ft. Belvoir I had know problem with the base except when I called the golf club and asked about membership. the person on the phone said I wasn't eligible and I was a little pissed but I went to the website at found I was eligible and my ID card says MWR on it.

I will check a base around Norfolk for you and see why you are getting the run around. And you are right it does not make any sense! the other thing, Virginia just passed tax exemption for 100% vets for their prime residence effective Jan. 1, 2011 but the counties and locals do not have the law yet so again we have to wait!!

What a crock it is being 100% disabled and dealing with that but all the other BS to get the benefits we are entitled too!!

Almost like working a full time damn job!

#6 pete992

pete992

• 1463 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 02:50 PM

Try this

Verifying and Updating DEERS Information

You can verify your DEERS information by contacting your regional TRICARE managed care support contractor, your local TRICARE service center or the nearest uniformed services personnel office (ID card facility). Sponsors or registered family members may make address changes, however, only the sponsor can add or delete a family member from DEERS, and proper documents are required such as a marriage certificate, divorce decree and/or birth certificate. To update your DEERS information:
  • Visit your local uniformed services personnel office or contact the Defense Manpower Data Center Support Office (DSO) at 1-800-538-9552 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 1-800-538-9552 end_of_the_skype_highlighting. You can find the nearest uniformed services personnel office at: http://www.dmdc.osd.mil/rsl/.

#7 leftyf

leftyf

E-3 Seaman

• Seaman
  • PipPipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 02:51 PM

I will check a base around Norfolk for you and see why you are getting the run around. And you are right it does not make any sense! the other thing, Virginia just passed tax exemption for 100% vets for their prime residence effective Jan. 1, 2011 but the counties and locals do not have the law yet so again we have to wait!!

What a crock it is being 100% disabled and dealing with that but all the other BS to get the benefits we are entitled too!!

Any info you can come up with would be appreciated.

#8 Wings

Wings

HadIt.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12762 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 09:12 PM

x
x
x

See Attached Fast Letter

DoD instructed its facilities that “honorably discharged veterans determined by the VA to have a

service-connected disability of no less than 60%, but rated 100% disabled based on individual

unemployability are entitled to MWR, Commissary and Exchange privileges.” This instruction is

still in effect.

Attached Files

#9 broncovet

broncovet

E-9 Master Chief Petty Officer

• Master Chief Petty Officer
  • 3639 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 10:11 PM

In my area, at my nearby military base, the id card people require a "special" letter from the Regional Office to get your id cards....a RO decision wont do. (More unnecessary government paperwork). Thats the bad news. The good news, at the local VA hospital, there is a "special VARO" representative that wrote out a letter for me on the spot and handed it to me. In other words, he was a VARO employee, stationed at the local VAMC, authorized to do this.

This seems to be one of those "hidden" benefits like someone posted. In other words it is available, but not advertised by the VA, so only a select few know that they can go to this guy and get a letter almost like driving the 4 hours to the RO.

If you do have to write to your RO for this letter, you may try sending it to your VARO "eligibility determination" department.

Like other VA departments, this seems to be backlogged. I wrote for my fishing license eligibility about a couple months ago, and still no license. Its like the state government and the VA are working a catch 22 on Vets. 100% P and T Vets can get a "free fishing license" but they have to have a letter from the VA EACH YEAR to get the license. Well, it will probably take a year for the VA to process the eligibility verification and then, you will have to start the process all over because your fishing license is expired. In other words you get into a year long line to wait for a benefit that lasts a year..then you get it and start over. I am going to remember this red tape come election time...the guy thats in there gets his pink slip.

#10 leftyf

leftyf

E-3 Seaman

• Seaman
  • PipPipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 12:24 AM

x
x
x

See Attached Fast Letter

DoD instructed its facilities that "honorably discharged veterans determined by the VA to have a

service-connected disability of no less than 60%, but rated 100% disabled based on individual

unemployability are entitled to MWR, Commissary and Exchange privileges." This instruction is

still in effect.

Thanks, it's stuff like this I'm looking for.

#11 leftyf

leftyf

E-3 Seaman

• Seaman
  • PipPipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 12:27 AM

In my area, at my nearby military base, the id card people require a "special" letter from the Regional Office to get your id cards....a RO decision wont do. (More unnecessary government paperwork). Thats the bad news. The good news, at the local VA hospital, there is a "special VARO" representative that wrote out a letter for me on the spot and handed it to me. In other words, he was a VARO employee, stationed at the local VAMC, authorized to do this.

This seems to be one of those "hidden" benefits like someone posted. In other words it is available, but not advertised by the VA, so only a select few know that they can go to this guy and get a letter almost like driving the 4 hours to the RO.

If you do have to write to your RO for this letter, you may try sending it to your VARO "eligibility determination" department.

Like other VA departments, this seems to be backlogged. I wrote for my fishing license eligibility about a couple months ago, and still no license. Its like the state government and the VA are working a catch 22 on Vets. 100% P and T Vets can get a "free fishing license" but they have to have a letter from the VA EACH YEAR to get the license. Well, it will probably take a year for the VA to process the eligibility verification and then, you will have to start the process all over because your fishing license is expired. In other words you get into a year long line to wait for a benefit that lasts a year..then you get it and start over. I am going to remember this red tape come election time...the guy thats in there gets his pink slip.

I understand...some od my stuff has been hanging around for nearly 10+ years.

#12 deltaj

deltaj

HadIt.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • 732 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 01:37 PM

I understand...some od my stuff has been hanging around for nearly 10+ years.

My husband is a service-connected totally disabled veteran. When my husband went to get his i.d. card from a military base, the individual handling the matter held the rating letter from V.A. up to the light. My husband asked why and that individual explained that the V.A. sends the letter on special paper that is kept locked up and which shows an american eagle watermark. He said to both of us, "Here take a look." We held the V.A. letter and there was an american eagle watermark in the paper that could only be seen when the paper was held up toward light. Could a few of you who have a 100% rating take out the letters V.A. gave you notifying you of the 100% rating verify that what I am saying here is true by looking at your rating letter and holding it up to light. I mention this here because it is possible that the individual who wrote the 100% letter at V.A. didn't use the special watermarked paper.

Edited by deltaj, 30 January 2011 - 01:38 PM.

#13 jbasser

jbasser

• Admin
  • 6203 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 02:58 PM

Under no circumstances are you to take your actual award letter to the ID card issuing place. You are most likely enrolled in Deers and the required documentation is a letter from the VA stating you are a permanent and total disabled veteran. You risk too muck showing the award letter to these folks.

J

#14 allan

allan

Content Contributor

• HadIt.com Elder
  • 13030 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 04:49 PM

I would just like to add that the T&P 100% or TDIU information, can be taken to any military reserve training center in order to get the cards.

#15 leftyf

leftyf

E-3 Seaman

• Seaman
  • PipPipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 04:54 PM

I would just like to add that the T&P 100% or TDIU information, can be taken to any military reserve training center in order to get the cards.

Call first not all units do ID cards.

#16 stillhere

stillhere

• 1363 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 06:41 AM

Well when I first got my letter from the RO for my 100% P/T I made copies of it and took a copy to the base for my card. As J says they will look you up in deers and gave me my card on the spot.

I know nothing about any eagle letterhead paper.

#17 halos2

halos2

• 1488 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 09:15 AM

We called the nearest base to us, and drove down there after making an appointment.(We tried with training centers, but they only used ones in the capital areas as staff are there all weekdays and the reserve training centers near us were only available certain weekends of the month.)
We drove the almost 4 hr drive, showed info to base guard got directed to visitor area for a pass and on to the base identification card area.
Took about 10 minutes total and walked out with our cards. Yes they do list in the Authorized Patronage area of the card Exchange MWR Commissary I took copies of my award letter with me and only had to show it for my base pass. The Sgt even asked if the picture looked ok before she printed the card. The staff were cordial. There were a lot of military members getting new cards and transient one's were also, so they do suggest appointments all the time.
Didn't really find saving sthat day except no tax. We got a new GPS that day though. Still am very grateful for this benefit for the future. I am not familiar with a eagle type letter head either.

#18 leftyf

leftyf

E-3 Seaman

• Seaman
  • PipPipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 02:39 PM

Under no circumstances are you to take your actual award letter to the ID card issuing place. You are most likely enrolled in Deers and the required documentation is a letter from the VA stating you are a permanent and total disabled veteran. You risk too muck showing the award letter to these folks.

J

Why would I already be enrolled in DEERS?

#19 leftyf

leftyf

E-3 Seaman

• Seaman
  • PipPipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 02:46 PM

Yes they do list in the Authorized Patronage area of the card Exchange MWR Commissary

Now we go back to my original question. The VA claims, and docs in response to my original query, seem to confirm, that they only authorize Commissary and PX...where does the authorization for MWS come from? This is the entire problem...I need the MWR in addition to the commissary and PX privileges

Thanks guys for all your responses...I sure know more than when I started.

#20 pete992

pete992

• 1463 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 03:37 PM

DEERS is the military ID card Section.

When you get your I D card, across from your signature and under the status/grade section is the AUTHORIZED PATRONAGE SECTION that should say "EXCHANGE, COMMISSARY, MWR". This is the only military ID card for veterans; it is a DD form 2765.

If you are married and have dependents, they can get cards as well.

Hope this helps

P. S. forgot the card should be Indefinite

Edited by pete992, 02 February 2011 - 03:39 PM.

#21 jbasser

jbasser

• Admin
  • 6203 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 06:25 PM

Deers is a computer based system of former and active military members.

J

#22 Berta

Berta

HadIt.com Elder/SVR Radio Panelist

• SVR
  • 28678 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 09:42 AM

Question John-

"Under no circumstances are you to take your actual award letter to the ID card issuing place"

I was told years ago to bring my award letter (as a widow of 100% SC veteran) to the Reserves Center near Corning. But the center moved.

I still dont have a DEERS card.

The only time I wished I had gotten it was when I went to Lackland for my daughter's USAF graduation.

I brought my husband's DD 214 and 215 and my award letter for DIC as well as his posthumous award letter because the VA when the DD 215 came said e would have to buy the Vietnamese medals.They did send the other ribbons etc.

No one even questioned me at the BX. Maybe because I was with my daughter in full dress uniform?

I could have even bought the Purple Heart for about 50 bucks.But he never got the Purple Heart.

I to was told to make appointment as they have to take my picture.I think the local VA canteen at the local VAMC might have similiar prices to some BXs and PXs on some stuff but they have limited stock.

#23 deltaj

deltaj

HadIt.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • 732 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 04:50 AM

Well when I first got my letter from the RO for my 100% P/T I made copies of it and took a copy to the base for my card. As J says they will look you up in deers and gave me my card on the spot.

I know nothing about any eagle letterhead paper.

I did not say eagle letterhead paper. I said that V.A. uses paper with an eagle watermark hidden in the paper that can only been seen when the paper is held up to light. I also said that paper is used to write rating letters for totally disabled veterans who are service-connected permanently and totally disabled.

#24 jbasser

jbasser

• Admin
  • 6203 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 12:49 PM

Question John-

"Under no circumstances are you to take your actual award letter to the ID card issuing place"

I was told years ago to bring my award letter (as a widow of 100% SC veteran) to the Reserves Center near Corning. But the center moved.

I still dont have a DEERS card.

The only time I wished I had gotten it was when I went to Lackland for my daughter's USAF graduation.

I brought my husband's DD 214 and 215 and my award letter for DIC as well as his posthumous award letter because the VA when the DD 215 came said e would have to buy the Vietnamese medals.They did send the other ribbons etc.

No one even questioned me at the BX. Maybe because I was with my daughter in full dress uniform?

I could have even bought the Purple Heart for about 50 bucks.But he never got the Purple Heart.

I to was told to make appointment as they have to take my picture.I think the local VA canteen at the local VAMC might have similiar prices to some BXs and PXs on some stuff but they have limited stock.

Beta, ask the RO to send you a letter stating that you re eligible for an ID card form 2765. The Folks running the machines dont need to see award letters as the letter shows your income and everything. This is a Violation of the privacy act.

They may want to see a few forms of Identification but you should be OK.

JBasser

#25 Chuck75

Chuck75

HadIt.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • 1435 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 07:43 AM

Now we go back to my original question. The VA claims, and docs in response to my original query, seem to confirm, that they only authorize Commissary and PX...where does the authorization for MWS come from? This is the entire problem...I need the MWR in addition to the commissary and PX privileges

Thanks guys for all your responses...I sure know more than when I started.

MWR is supposedly at the discretion of the base commander. However, I haven't heard of it not being put on the veteran's ID card. It's on mine and my wife's card.

Edited by Chuck75, 14 March 2012 - 07:44 AM.

#26 Chuck75

Chuck75

HadIt.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • 1435 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 07:46 AM

Well I am in VA also near Ft. Belvoir I had know problem with the base except when I called the golf club and asked about membership. the person on the phone said I wasn't eligible and I was a little pissed but I went to the website at found I was eligible and my ID card says MWR on it.

Norfolk - - Do they still have the signs about sailors, dogs, and grass?

#27 Chuck75

Chuck75

HadIt.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • 1435 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 07:51 AM

Around here, you have to file for the tax exemption the tax year before the exemption take effect. The VARO (also in the same state) dated the letter the day before the application deadline, and I received it a couple of days after the deadline had passed.

#28 NJBB62

NJBB62

E-4 Petty Officer 3rd Class

• Second Class Petty Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 10:10 AM

Are you 100% Permanent & Total No future exams scheduled, my ID card has Exchange MWR and Commissary,
also states Status and Grade DAVPRM/E6 Expiration date INDEF and they assign you a number now they do
not use your social security number anymore.

NJ

#29 evandc

evandc

HadIt.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 434 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 01:06 PM

Play hell finding an "Eagle Watermark" on anything I take to anyone. The originals are buried deep in my house. Like you have heard make copies anytime you need apply for bennies. My card expires at death-that's my term & the spouse had five years on her card-I think.

#30 Teac

Teac

• 1158 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 01:09 PM

I guess no one noticed this thread was started over a year ago......

#31 jeff10

jeff10

E-3 Seaman

• Seaman
  • PipPipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 08:13 AM

I have MWR on my card. What exactly does it allow you to do ?

#32 oldranger821

oldranger821

E-3 Seaman

• Seaman
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 10:28 AM

MWR is Moral, Welfare, and recreation. If you google the base or army post that you use. Almost all of them have a MWR section. Bringit up and you will see that you are elidgable to use these services.

#33 jvretiredvet

jvretiredvet

E-6 Petty Officer 1st Class

• Chief Petty Officers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 12:04 PM

FWIW, the "color" of the ID card issued for 100%/TDIU vets is brownish, the same as for AD/Ret dependents.

Unless, of course, the veteran is retired from AD. The current color is for retired military is blue.

I believe the ID cards will be changing, at least for retired military. Also, I understand that Social Security numbers will no longer be entered on any ID cards.

#34 10thFO

10thFO

E-5 Petty Officer 2nd Class

• Chief Petty Officers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 01:26 PM

x x x See Attached Fast Letter

DoD instructed its facilities that “honorably discharged veterans determined by the VA to have a

unemployability are entitled to MWR, Commissary and Exchange privileges.” This instruction is

still in effect.

Okay, I know I'm late to the game here, but I believe this is what I have been looking for. This year I got a letter stating that I was 80% service connected but 100% TDIU, due to unemployability when it came to a new law that the state of Virginia had passed for Veterans that were 100% getting a real estate tax exemption. (in Va. you have to be all or it's nothing, no step down basis in tax relief). So after recieving that I finally got property tax taken care of. I called the VARO today, and asked if i was marked as P&T. Answer was no, but felt I should ask. I have been interested in wether I could get an ID card or not, because Ft. Drum NY actually has a pretty decent MWR program, and I have a cottage up on Lake Ontario, and could use some of their resources there. So if I print out this letter, or call the VARO and inform them that I need one of these letters/form for my PX privileges I would be eligible. That's what I'm reading, but I know the difference between what I read and what the VARO's will approve. Anyone else with experience?

As a secondary issue, my TDIU was back dated to 2004, is there anywhere I can find out about the 10/20 rule for myself and my wife. With the PTSD rating, I can't afford the life insurance rate of over 2K a month, so wondering if I should apply for P&T now, or just wait for year 10 to see what happens. I'd like to see that my son's college is paid for and he will be 8 this summer. So I can't wait for 20 years to hit, in case I pass before then.

#35 JON

JON

• First Class Petty Officer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 08:07 AM

I live in Idaho. When I was granted TDIU, it said nothing about being "permanent" or "no further exams" etc. I called Boise VARO(at the capitol and asked for letters for license plates, fishiing/hunting license, etc. I received several letters addressed to different agencies advising I was "permanent and total TDIU" and eligible for the goodies. I also asked for and received the letter to get the MWR card, which I took to Fairchild AFB, Spokane Wa. and received ID cards for me and the wife. Mine is permanent, hers expires every few years(I guess in case of divorce or whatever). Anyway CALLl your state VARO and if you are eligible, they'll send you the letters without hassle. Remember to ask for everything, fishing/hunting, tax exemption, plates, etc.

#36 desertshield

desertshield

E-3 Seaman

• Seaman
  • PipPipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 09:02 PM

Link to see types of ID cards: http://www.cac.mil/u...rvices-id-card/

#37 militarynurse

militarynurse

• Chief Petty Officers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 07:52 PM

Maybe worth a call: DMDC Support Center (DSC) help desk at one of the following numbers: 1-800-372-7437

I know of a situation where a Veteran's dependent children were being given a hard time because the ID issuing center insisted on using DOD criteria for the kids instead of the VA's criteria for dependent status. Turns out, after the Vet called the DMDC they said the VA had, as an DOD authorized agency to certify status, already put the kids in DEERS. Vet went back to the issuing center with that info and they issued the ID cards on the spot.

Advertise Here