Photo

How To Fast-Track Any Va Claim..........especially Ptsd

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
18 replies to this topic

#1 LarryJ

LarryJ

Hadit.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3214 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 04:22 PM

Get ALL your ducks in a row.
Get set up with the VA Medical Center, get your VA ID card (fill out form 10-10EZ). See your Primary Care Physician and tell them of the problems that you are having and get set up for treatment for these problems. In other words, establish a record of treatment. And get copies of this treatment. Especially important if you are being treated for PTSD at your local VA facility, you MUST get VA diagnosis for your PTSD.
Get all your Service Medical Records and get your service records showing where you were (especially pertinent to PTSD and Agent Orange). IF any of your service records show any treatment or any indication leading to the reason for your claim, get it copied to send (never, ever send originals).
Get any of your private medical treatment records if they pertain to your claim and will assist in the awarding thereof.
Get VA Form 21-526EZ (download it from the VA.gov website). Read it throughly and COMPLETELY before filling out any of the little blanks. Then, when you KNOW that you understand what they want and what you have and that you have all the info that they want.........FILL IT OUT and SEND IT IN!
You will have turned in a FULLY DEVELOPED CLAIM and it will be fast tracked.
I just had one of my veterans that was awarded 70% PTSD within 29 days.

www.vba.va.gov/pubs/forms/VBA-21-526EZ-ARE.pdf

#2 carlie

carlie

Moderator/Admin/HadIt.com Elder/SVR Radio Panelist

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22282 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 06:30 PM

Larry,
GREAT JOB !

#3 Notorious Kelly

Notorious Kelly

E-8 Senior Chief Petty Officer

• Senior Chief Petty Officer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1293 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 10:18 AM

Great info, Larry.

Best thing is to give it All to them up front.

Great advice!
:smile:

#4 clw4514

clw4514

E-5 Petty Officer 2nd Class

• First Class Petty Officer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 12:34 PM

Get ALL your ducks in a row.
Get set up with the VA Medical Center, get your VA ID card (fill out form 10-10EZ). See your Primary Care Physician and tell them of the problems that you are having and get set up for treatment for these problems. In other words, establish a record of treatment. And get copies of this treatment. Especially important if you are being treated for PTSD at your local VA facility, you MUST get VA diagnosis for your PTSD.
Get all your Service Medical Records and get your service records showing where you were (especially pertinent to PTSD and Agent Orange). IF any of your service records show any treatment or any indication leading to the reason for your claim, get it copied to send (never, ever send originals).
Get any of your private medical treatment records if they pertain to your claim and will assist in the awarding thereof.
Get VA Form 21-526EZ (download it from the VA.gov website). Read it throughly and COMPLETELY before filling out any of the little blanks. Then, when you KNOW that you understand what they want and what you have and that you have all the info that they want.........FILL IT OUT and SEND IT IN!
You will have turned in a FULLY DEVELOPED CLAIM and it will be fast tracked.
I just had one of my veterans that was awarded 70% PTSD within 29 days.

www.vba.va.gov/pubs/forms/VBA-21-526EZ-ARE.pdf

*GREAT* advice....thats what i did w/ mine and it was approved extremely quick. TDIU - not so much. been at the rating board since 27 oct and they just put hands on it this past tues. oh well, still quick by VA standards ;)

#5 pigdriver

pigdriver

• Second Class Petty Officers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 01:57 PM

Right on brother larryJ, you are absolutely 100% correct. I received a great deal of help from our Brother and Sister Veterans' on this site, without that help I wonder where the claim would be, somewhere in space perhaps.

#6 johnjjr

johnjjr

• Chief Petty Officers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 02:16 PM

As usual, you are right on with you're advice, Larry. Although I didn't join til 2009, I've been reading Hadit since early 2006. With the information gleaned from this site, I filed my first claim Dec 6,2006. Ducks in a row and solid evidence have brought me to 100% P&T in 4 years. I think though that the best piece of advice I got from hadit is; "YOU ARE YOU'RE OWN BEST ADVOCATE".

#7 Deltawife

Deltawife

E-3 Seaman

• Third Class Petty Officers
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 05:34 PM

Once again, this is something NO one has told my husband. He has applied for an increase in his PTSD and had 2 appts. with C & P. He's currently rated for 50% PTSD and 10 % hearing. (This was awarded to him through a Veterans Rep Office in Tulare Ca. in 2002.)
He has kept every appointment with the VA in Fresno and under the care of a primary care physician and psychologist since then.

In May of 2010 we heard gunshots outside our home. Gary ran toward the gunfire. He saw our neighbor fall from being shot. He turned him on his side so he would not choke on his blood and held pressure on his wounds. When the police arrived, they told him it was not considered a crime scene and to leave the victim alone. Erik, the victim, died.
As you can well imagine, the smell of blood and the whole incident has mentally disabled my husband. He is unable to work. We are filing for TDIU next week on Feb 3rd at his next appointment.

Gary was NEVER evaluated for his wounds. He was a gunner in Vietnam and shot down 3 times. (Has 3 purple hearts, silver star and bronze star for valor.) He also has shrapnel in his arm and it does give him pain.
Is this something he should apply for? Also, I know my next question should be in a different forum....BUT, does it sound like he should apply for CUE as well?
If you have any questions please ask....We are Desperate for help for him.
Also, please forgive me if I'm not asking correctly about all of this...I am just trying to help my husband and am new to all this VA information.
Thank you!

#8 stillhere

stillhere

• 1367 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 07:08 AM

Once again, this is something NO one has told my husband. He has applied for an increase in his PTSD and had 2 appts. with C & P. He's currently rated for 50% PTSD and 10 % hearing. (This was awarded to him through a Veterans Rep Office in Tulare Ca. in 2002.)
He has kept every appointment with the VA in Fresno and under the care of a primary care physician and psychologist since then.

In May of 2010 we heard gunshots outside our home. Gary ran toward the gunfire. He saw our neighbor fall from being shot. He turned him on his side so he would not choke on his blood and held pressure on his wounds. When the police arrived, they told him it was not considered a crime scene and to leave the victim alone. Erik, the victim, died.
As you can well imagine, the smell of blood and the whole incident has mentally disabled my husband. He is unable to work. We are filing for TDIU next week on Feb 3rd at his next appointment.

Gary was NEVER evaluated for his wounds. He was a gunner in Vietnam and shot down 3 times. (Has 3 purple hearts, silver star and bronze star for valor.) He also has shrapnel in his arm and it does give him pain.
Is this something he should apply for? Also, I know my next question should be in a different forum....BUT, does it sound like he should apply for CUE as well?
If you have any questions please ask....We are Desperate for help for him.
Also, please forgive me if I'm not asking correctly about all of this...I am just trying to help my husband and am new to all this VA information.
Thank you!

Why don't you copy and paste the above and start your own thread. You will get more advise that way. i do not want to answer your question in Larry's thread but will when you have your own.

#9 Deltawife

Deltawife

E-3 Seaman

• PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 07:20 AM

Why don't you copy and paste the above and start your own thread. You will get more advise that way. i do not want to answer your question in Larry's thread but will when you have your own.

Help! I just tried and it shows all the html stuff! I didn't realize each thread belonged to a certain person....so sorry

#10 Deltawife

Deltawife

E-3 Seaman

• PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 07:42 AM

Good Lord...now I have it in 3 places How do I delete? I know I'm driving you guys and gals nuts...I'm a newbie and thought I knew forums....apparently NOT...ADmins please delete my multiple messages that are duplicates...It's early here. I haven't slept and I have no business trying to be online...going back to bed! TYSVM

#11 Berta

Berta

HadIt.com Elder/SVR Radio Panelist

• Podcast Crew
  • 29167 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 08:06 AM

"Is this something he should apply for?"

YES- residuals of a GSW can include muscular involvement, as well as scar ratings.

I answered your other question in another forum-forget where-

this is not a CUE issue- CUEs are not "applied for"

He will need evidence that warrants an increase of his PTSD rating.

Does he receive SSDI disability benefits and if so what for?

#12 Gridsmasher11

Gridsmasher11

E-4 Petty Officer 3rd Class

• PipPipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 10:29 AM

Larry, great advice....I just sent my packet in under this program last week...Naturally I sent it certified with a return reciept..Wouldn't want it to get lost.....Included in the packet is nearly a years worth of treatment notes (copies) from my VA phsychiatrist and my primary care doc all with the diagnosis of PTSD on them and highlighted by me...Now I am just waiting to see what happens.........Grid

#13 LarryJ

LarryJ

Hadit.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3214 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 03:42 PM

Larry, great advice....I just sent my packet in under this program last week...Naturally I sent it certified with a return reciept..Wouldn't want it to get lost.....Included in the packet is nearly a years worth of treatment notes (copies) from my VA phsychiatrist and my primary care doc all with the diagnosis of PTSD on them and highlighted by me...Now I am just waiting to see what happens.........Grid

I hope you have as good a result as I've been seeing with this "program". Please let us know when you have a decision.
ljp

#14 Gridsmasher11

Gridsmasher11

• PipPipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 06:55 AM

I used the Fully developed claim program for my latest PTSD claim...The RO recieved my paperwork on 4 Feb , I had a C&P in late March ...I recieved a letter from the DAV on 18 April stating that I had been rated at 70% for PTSD with MDD...Haven't recieved the official VA notification yet........So, in less than 3 months I filed and was approved using this program..............grid

#15 Pete53

Pete53

Moderator/HadIt.com Elder

• 21901 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 07:09 AM

Grid:

That is wonderful news. If you are not working you should ask for TDIU 100% and also Social Security if you are under 65.

#16 Berta

Berta

HadIt.com Elder/SVR Radio Panelist

• Podcast Crew
  • 29167 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 07:51 AM

WOW_ I sure call that one a FAST Track claim!

Pete is right. Did they defer the TDIU issue or are you still employed?

Then again-you haven't gotten their official award letter yet but best to start checking the mail or your checking account if you have direct deposit.

I would think they owe you some retro from the filing date.

Edited by Berta, 22 April 2011 - 07:52 AM.

#17 john999

john999

HadIt.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • 22379 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 08:47 AM

That is fast track on PTSD claim. It used to be that many got hung up on stressor verification for months if not years. Larry really condensed the process down to a T. It should be like that for claims and not a wait and see process that goes on for years with VA stumbling all over the place. When I filed my mental claim I had a letter from the Vet Center head couselor and the VA just ignored it and gave me some other DX. All I was interested in was getting the percentage, so it did not matter that much, but it still bugs me how they did it. I see it is much improved.

#18 Papa

Papa

• 903 posts

Posted 24 April 2011 - 09:05 PM

Maybe, I have screwed up my PTSD claim. I was given an initial C&P exam with a QTC Doctor that is very well known here in San Antonio. He only spent about 15 minutes with me, and I ask him was that enough time. He said that he has spent so much time with Vietnam Veterans that it does not take him very long to Dx for PTSD. The VA granted me 30%. Some months after that I got a letter stating that they wanted to reevaluate me for PTSD. The exam was in Oct 2010. Another Doctor did the exam and spent more time with me, and the one part that I believe the VA is having an issue with is that she clearly states in her report that the PTSD is the cause of my over eating and my obesity. I have a feeling that they did not like that statement, but it was their Doctor, not mine. I just can not understand why they can not rate my PTSD and other claims seperate from each other. I have proven and they have accepted my stressor, and when I did the fast track for my Parkinsons, I actually sent them my orders to Vietnam, and my plane tickets (went commercial) and my orders back to the states, and the manifest (Flying Tiger Back). I did not even ask for this latest PTSD exam, it was the VA's ideal, and after the exam (by their Doctor) it may have back fired on them, and they just do not like it.

Papa

#19 Gridsmasher11

Gridsmasher11

• PipPipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 06:55 AM

Thanks to everyone here.....I am still employed so I do not think that I will get TDUI at this time...I am just grateful that they finally granted my PTSD claim.....Am also thankful for this wonderful site.I couldn't have done this without you folks out there and the great help and guidance that you provide........grid