Search

Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  arng11 : (26 November 2014 - 11:30 AM) Everyone Enjoy The Holidays And Be Safe.
@  eagle1012004 : (26 November 2014 - 10:10 AM) Have A Happy Thanksgiving All!!!
@  Tbird : (22 November 2014 - 04:54 PM) Tbird Accepted To 2015 Conference: V-Wise: Another Entrepreneurship Project Of The Whitman School Of Management Http://ow.ly/ej9Qg
@  Tbird : (22 November 2014 - 04:13 PM) Arng11 Thank You For Your Contribution To Our Funding Campaign.
@  britton : (22 November 2014 - 02:57 PM) Thank You Ms T For Starting This Web Site For All Veterans, You Helpd Me And My Family And I'll Be Forever Gratful To You & Hadit.com
@  Tbird : (22 November 2014 - 08:19 AM) Thank You All For Helping With The Funding The Site. It Is Really Helping!
@  Tbird : (22 November 2014 - 08:18 AM) Britton Pm Me And I. Can Check This Out For You
@  britton : (22 November 2014 - 06:44 AM) What Does ''you Missed Your Quota For Postives Votes Today'' Mean??
@  coriemboh : (19 November 2014 - 08:29 AM) Hold Time For Peggy Was Approximately 1 Minute. That Was 17 Minutes Ago. They Really Need To Change This Hold Music.
@  Tbird : (17 November 2014 - 02:42 PM) Stretch Thanks For The Extra Contribution To Our Fundraiser This Month.
@  maxwell18 : (16 November 2014 - 09:04 PM) I Still Have To Bitch About The Navy Hosp Cutting My Meds By 2/3 On My Norco. I Contacted Customer Service Or What Ever You Want To Call It Who In Turn Contacted The Navy Hosp Pensacola Commander Who In Turn Did Nothing. Thanks To All The People That Are Affair Of There Jobs And I Feel That Medical Malpractice Should Come Into Place. I Guess Just Do What Ever They Want To Because They Can, But Don't Give A Sh T For The Vets That Suppose To Being Supporting From All The Military  organizations. This Is Not The Way They Have Been Trained And Promised To Do. 
@  carlie : (16 November 2014 - 11:26 AM) Delayed Onset Tinnitus - Ref To Va Training Letter 10-028 - Link - Http://veteranclaims.wordpress.com/2014/05/06/single-Judge-Application-Va-Training-Letter-10-028-Delayed-Onset-Tinnitus/
@  carlie : (16 November 2014 - 11:03 AM) Here's A Good Tinnitus Link To Check Out From M21-1 Change Dated Jan 10,2014 - Http://veteranclaims.wordpress.com/tag/section-B-Duty-Military-Occupational-Specialty-Mos-Noise-Exposure-Listing-Fast-Letter-10-35-Tinnitus-Hearing-Loss-Vbms-Rating-Decision-Tools/
@  Asiadaug : (16 November 2014 - 02:08 AM) "rolled" Not Ruled! :)
@  Asiadaug : (16 November 2014 - 02:07 AM) Thanks. I Have Seen The Fast Ltr 10-35 And Have Seen Cases Where The Va Has Apparently Agreed That Tinnitus Can Have Delayed Onset. I Did Not In Looking Over The Fast Ltr See Where They Had Ruled 10-028 Into That. And, I Am Not Sure In The Vas Issuance Of ‘policy’ Type Letters How They Might Roll In Previous Instructions Into Newer Ones. Maybe There Is Some Intranet Traceability Capability? I Was Just Curious As There ‘appeared’ To Be Conspicuous Absence Of That 10-028. I Am Assuming 10-028 Was Written In 2010. But It May Be I Should Not Assume Anything.
@  carlie : (15 November 2014 - 05:56 PM) Asiadaug - You Might Be Looking For Fast Letter 10-35, Http://www.hadit.com/forums/topic/40962-Va-Fl-10-35/ Also Check Out This Link To Links For Delayed Onset Tinnitus - They All Refer Back To Fast Letter 10-35, Https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=Chrome-Instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=Utf-8#q=Tinnitus, Delayed Onset, Va Fast Letter
@  Tbird : (15 November 2014 - 07:50 AM) Asiadaug Searched All Over For Va Training Letter 10-028 But No Luck So Far.
@  Asiadaug : (15 November 2014 - 02:12 AM) Several Cases I've Run Across Mention Va Training Letter 10-028 With Apparent Discussion About Delayed Onset Of Tinnitus. I Have Been Unable To Locate That Trng Ltr. Any Suggestions?
@  Tbird : (12 November 2014 - 05:56 PM) Stretch Thanks For Contributing To Our Fundraising Campairg
@  Tbird : (12 November 2014 - 04:01 AM) Atomicwidow Thank Your For Donating To Our Funding Campaign.

Photo

My Journey To Get A Psd - Ptsd Service Dog

• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#1 Tbird

Tbird

Founder HadIt.com established 1997

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • GooglePlus:+TbirdHadIt
  • Service Connected Disability: 100
  • Branch of Service: USN

Posted 10 March 2011 - 06:31 AM

As some of you may know my sweet little pug Etta James passed away Sept 29, 2010. It's been a difficult mourning process for me and as the immobilizing grief started to ease I felt a deep loneliness. I thought about another dog, however I'm not at the point in my life where a puppy is a good solution for me nor is a shelter dog.

I thought a lot about my little Etta and began to realize I needed not just a pet but also a partner who could help me with my PTSD. Looking back over the years I could see how my Etta helped me do that from nightmares to strange noises she was always there to reassure me and just seemed to naturally learn when she needed to clown and when she needed to cuddle. I thought about how unlikely it would be to find another dog like that.

However, not wanting to give up I started researching breeds and came across information on service dogs for veterans with PTSD, I read a bunch and watched a lot of videos. I talked to my psychologist and to my psychiatrist about it, both agreed it would be good for me. I called the VA to find out about it, I looked on the internet, I had a bit of a hard time finding information on anything in my area.

With some luck I found a place in my area that does train PTSD service dogs, I called my PTSD clinic nurse manager and she had heard of the organization and they had a good reputation. So I took a deep breath and called them, they were very helpful and kind. I completed my application and mailed it in yesterday. So we will see what happens. My psychiatrist has to fax them a form confirming I have a diagnosis of PTSD and hopefully they will do that sooner rather than later. The application process takes time, I've completed the first step. If my application is accepted then they will schedule a home visit. When a dog is a available I must attend a two week training session which is to train me on how to work with the dog and to develop a bond between me and my new best friend.

If you want to read about the organization that I went through their website is here http://supportdogs.org/ If you want to watch some videos about PTSD dogs you can find some here http://ow.ly/4bz6n

I'll post back here to let you know whether my application is accepted or not. Wish me luck!

#2 halos2

halos2

E-8 Senior Chief Petty Officer

• Senior Chief Petty Officer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1488 posts
  • Interests:Vets advocate.
  • Service Connected Disability: 100%
  • Branch of Service: usaf

Posted 10 March 2011 - 06:46 AM

Good Luck Tbird. I know it is near the 6 month mark since you lost your dear Etta James. People who are not pet lovers do not realize how these are really our family members. My dog goes all over with me except on a recent plane ride. I didn't want him to be in with the luggage in his crate/kennel. So he stayed at my daughters for a few days. He missed me as much as I did him too!! Had to call him on the phone so he could hear my voice. Ha ha.

#3 carlie

carlie

Moderator/Admin/HadIt.com Elder/SVR Radio Panelist

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22280 posts
  • Interests:I enjoy researching and debate of claims for
    Clear and Unmistakable Error (C&UE).
  • Service Connected Disability: 100+
  • Branch of Service: USA

Posted 10 March 2011 - 07:16 AM

T,
This part sounds great !

"Our Psychiatric Service Dogs act as a grounding mechanism for someone with PTSD and can provide a sense of security and empowerment for the individual."

#4 Pete53

Pete53

Moderator/HadIt.com Elder

• 21895 posts
  • Interests:My Family

Posted 10 March 2011 - 08:44 AM

I had good luck with pets helping me deal with agoraphobia. For some reason first McKensie, than Sasha and now Sydney all Goldens help me travel and are constantly with me. None was trained as a Service dog but I have used them as my service dog.

Its been since 1991 and on my third dog with no problems so far. Not one time have the dogs been aggressive other than to bark at people who try to approach them when they are in the car. We have had other dogs but these were the ones that helped me.

The only real accommodations that I have had to make is that we don't go anywhere when its over 90 degrees. When we have traveled and stayed at motels we have checked about dogs.

Dogs are very social and mine love to go out with me and Mrs Pete. If they see me put on a coat they run to the garage.

Just watching TV with a dog can be relaxing.

#5 Notorious Kelly

Notorious Kelly

• 1260 posts
  • Branch of Service: USAF

Posted 10 March 2011 - 10:03 AM

TBird,

I'm glad to see you starting the process.

We all look forward to hearing about meeting your new best friend!
:smile:

#6 vmo

vmo

E-6 Petty Officer 1st Class

• Chief Petty Officers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts
  • Branch of Service: USMC

Posted 10 March 2011 - 10:41 AM

Sorry to hear about your pug. My (our) pug is 8 and her name is "Ruby". She likes to wrestle with our cat "Jasper". Wife works away from home each day. All 3 children gone away college/2-graduated. All day long and some nights, just Ruby and I. What great company. On my worst days dealing with depression-----I feel her warm head upon my knee. She likes what I eat, we watch the same movies, never argue, and nap together. My wife says, "Ruby is the other woman in my life". I am sure another pet will sooth your soul. Good luck with your decision.

#7 LarryJ

LarryJ

Hadit.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3214 posts
  • Interests:Veterans Service Officer

Posted 10 March 2011 - 11:29 AM

T-bird.........you will be blessed.
and loved.
I think that what we wish for will come true, and there is a dear friend of yours waiting to meet you.

LarryJ

NancyJ, Harley, Jo-Jo, Whizzer, Lola, Lucy, Gracie, Kinkey and Gizmoe (My Support Group(ies))!

#8 Tbird

Tbird

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 04:57 AM

All my forms have been filed. Next an in person interview. Wish me luck.

#9 admiral7

admiral7

E-4 Petty Officer 3rd Class

• Second Class Petty Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • Interests:fishing,poker
  • Branch of Service: Navy

Posted 25 March 2011 - 05:47 AM

All my forms have been filed. Next an in person interview. Wish me luck.

Good Luck T-Bird! wish you all the best.:rolleyes:

#10 Pete53

Pete53

• 21895 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 08:24 AM

Wow you are on your way. I think a service dog would be a large comfort to you.

Pete

#11 westcoastlv

westcoastlv

E-5 Petty Officer 2nd Class

• Second Class Petty Officers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 09:16 AM

I think a service dog would be a wonderful addition to your life. We have a dog, or shall I say my husband has a dog. Although he's not a service dog, he enriches my husbands life dramatically. I wonder if the VA would pay to train our dog as a service dog? That would be great for veterans that already have dogs, but the dogs are not disciplined enough to be considered 'in service'.

#12 Tbird

Tbird

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 05:02 AM

May 18th I go in for my interview. They will give me a tour of the facility. I will meet some of the dogs and do a short test to see how I handle the dogs, then a personal interview. After that I wait to see if they approve me. If they approve then I wait for a dog to become available it can take up to a year. But all good things are worth waiting for. So far so good.

#13 Chu Lai69

Chu Lai69

• First Class Petty Officer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  • Interests:Baseball, reading and learning in this great forum. Fighting the Fight. Never Chieu Hoi
  • Service Connected Disability: 260%

Posted 31 March 2011 - 08:23 PM

May 18th I go in for my interview. They will give me a tour of the facility. I will meet some of the dogs and do a short test to see how I handle the dogs, then a personal interview. After that I wait to see if they approve me. If they approve then I wait for a dog to become available it can take up to a year. But all good things are worth waiting for. So far so good.

Remember your own words Tbird! "But all good things are worth waiting for. So far so good" Be patient you will soon greet your new found friend and house mate. All good things happen to good people who keep the faith. Remember my salute. Respect, honor, and the Love of your fellow comrades will help keep you sane until SPOT gets there LOL Hang tight!! I think its a wonderful idea!!

#14 Tbird

Tbird

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 03:31 AM

Thank you Chu Lai, perhaps the next time we have coffee, I will have a new friend with me wouldn't that be nice :)

Remember your own words Tbird! "But all good things are worth waiting for. So far so good" Be patient you will soon greet your new found friend and house mate. All good things happen to good people who keep the faith. Remember my salute. Respect, honor, and the Love of your fellow comrades will help keep you sane until SPOT gets there LOL Hang tight!! I think its a wonderful idea!!

#15 john999

john999

HadIt.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • 22330 posts
  • Interests:VA law and history of the Blues
  • Branch of Service: Army

Posted 01 April 2011 - 06:38 AM

This could start a real trend! A PTSD dog would be great since many PTSD suffers have a hard time going out in public by themselves.

#16 hedgey

hedgey

E-7 Chief Petty Officer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts
  • Interests:100% IU P&T - 70% for PTSD + a few other 10%'s. 80% schedular
  • Branch of Service: usa

Posted 02 April 2011 - 12:07 PM

Tbird, I'm so happy this is happening for you! Wishing you so much good luck :)

I talked to my therapist about it... he'd never heard of it, but after showing him all the stuff I'd printed off the Internet, he said he didn't think it would be good for me. He said that people with SD's are very frequently approached by strangers with questions and comments, and he didn't think the attention would help me.

When he put it like that, the thought of people coming up to me to ask if they could pet my dog, what's he for?, etc.... too scary! I'd rather stay as invisible as possible....

But I met a lady at the Trauma Recovery Program who had one, and he brought her so much comfort... I hope they accept your application and it works out for you, Tbird!!

#17 Tbird

Tbird

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 06:18 AM

Thank you Hedgey. I am somewhat concerned about that myself, however, weighing out the good from the bad took me a long time. I have been reading how to navigate those types of encounters. I am apprehensive about this aspect of having a service dog, however after long thought I still think the good out weighs the bad. I certainly do understand your concerns and they are valid, I hope that it works out for me.

Tbird, I'm so happy this is happening for you! Wishing you so much good luck :)

I talked to my therapist about it... he'd never heard of it, but after showing him all the stuff I'd printed off the Internet, he said he didn't think it would be good for me. He said that people with SD's are very frequently approached by strangers with questions and comments, and he didn't think the attention would help me.

When he put it like that, the thought of people coming up to me to ask if they could pet my dog, what's he for?, etc.... too scary! I'd rather stay as invisible as possible....

But I met a lady at the Trauma Recovery Program who had one, and he brought her so much comfort... I hope they accept your application and it works out for you, Tbird!!

#18 Bonzai

Bonzai

• Chief Petty Officers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 341 posts
  • Interests:Staying current with news, Helping others and volunteering when I can, Avid reader of Science Fiction & Fantasy, NCAA Football, Cooking, and Spoiling my Grandson!

Posted 03 April 2011 - 06:55 AM

From The Pink Panther Strikes Again -

Clouseau: Does your dog bite?

Hotel Clerk: No.

Clouseau: [bowing down to pet the dog] Nice doggie.

[Dog barks and bites Clouseau in the hand]

Clouseau: I thought you said your dog did not bite!

Hotel Clerk: That's not my dog.

#19 Tbird

Tbird

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 04:16 AM

My interview for a PTSD service dog. It seemed to go ok. Those dogs are so smart they are amazing. They can even help me with my balance which sometimes is a bit off. It will be a week or two before I find out if I am approved and if I am then it's about a year wait to get a dog and then two weeks of intensive team training. I'll let you know what happens. Fingers crossed.

#20 Bonzai

Bonzai

• Chief Petty Officers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 341 posts
  • Interests:Staying current with news, Helping others and volunteering when I can, Avid reader of Science Fiction & Fantasy, NCAA Football, Cooking, and Spoiling my Grandson!

Posted 19 May 2011 - 06:05 AM

Wishing for the best Tbird! I didn't realize that it took so long to get one.

#21 carlie

carlie

• Admin
  • 22280 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 09:04 AM

Tbird,

I surely hope you are approved and that it takes much less

time than usual to get your helper buddy : -)

#22 halos2

halos2

• 1488 posts
  • Interests:Vets advocate.
  • Branch of Service: usaf

Posted 24 June 2011 - 03:00 AM

Have you heard anything about this yet T=bird??

My interview for a PTSD service dog. It seemed to go ok. Those dogs are so smart they are amazing. They can even help me with my balance which sometimes is a bit off. It will be a week or two before I find out if I am approved and if I am then it's about a year wait to get a dog and then two weeks of intensive team training. I'll let you know what happens. Fingers crossed.

#23 Tbird

Tbird

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 05:59 AM

I am going for a second interview at the end of this month. Hopefully I will know something soon. My back up plan is to get a doggie if this doesn't work out for me. My little pug Etta James passed away in Sept 2010 and I think it is time for a new buddy. If the support dog plan doesn't work out I will have to give some thought on what kind of breed I should get next. I'm not sure I could get another pug. I prefer to get a pure breed dog rather than a mutt only because I like as few surprises as possible. Behavioral or health problems showing up are not something that would be easy for me to cope with. I took a cat in several years ago she was a darling calico I named Eartha Kitty, she had feline leukemia we had a wonderful couple of years together the three of us, but it was heart wrenching to let her go.

Have you heard anything about this yet T=bird??

#24 Pete53

Pete53

• 21895 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 08:53 AM

I suggest that you consider a dog from the working dog group. I am partial to golden retrievers, but labs and any dog is great but a service dog trained can prevent a lot of problems. I am also partial to female dogs. We have two not always feasible but most dogs are very social and with two they have companionship also.

Anyway good luck on your interview.

#25 Wings

Wings

HadIt.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • 12762 posts
  • Interests:US Constitution

Posted 30 June 2011 - 10:52 PM

x
x
x

Good Luck Tbird!! I hope you get the dog you need!! ~Wings

#26 terrysturgis

terrysturgis

HadIt.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 08:59 AM

Terry, I have a 5 pound Pom/Shitzu mix. 5 pounds means small poop, a bag of high dollar dog food last for 3 months. He goes every where I go, when he gets tired I can carry him and he does not take up the whole bed. Been my life saver. His name is Sam, (Small Angry Mutt) the only Harley rider he likes is me.
The dogs we had prior to Sam was a pair of Chinese Shar Pei's. Had them for 13 years. When they passed I said, "no way will I get another dog'. Don't tell Sam, I don't want to hurt his feelings. Terry

#27 carlie

carlie

• Admin
  • 22280 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 09:56 AM

Tbird,

Click here :

#28 Papa

Papa

• 903 posts
  • Interests:God, Family and Country!

Posted 01 July 2011 - 11:33 AM

Loved it Carlie. I don't know what I would do without my Bootsie. 10 Pounds of love and devotion. When I'm having trouble sleeping she will curl up against my back, lick me on the ear. She knows. Boostsie is a mini-dokie. She never leaves my side. Good luck T-Bird. Once you get your dog, please make sure that it is trained appropriately. My Mom purchased a dog for her handicapped Grandson, with intention of getting the dog trained. Of coursed, they did not. Now, all they had was a 200 pound eating machine, and the couch became his home :biggrin:

Papa

#29 Tbird

Tbird

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 04:31 AM

:) Thank you Carlie. I remember this song from old Doris Day movies when I was a kid, I watched the video and was surprised that I still remember most of the words. True so true, what will be, will be.

Tbird,

Click here :

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=xZbKHDPPrrc

#30 Tbird

Tbird

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 11:42 AM

Well I'm going to be a mom :) Got the letter approving me for PSD dog. I'm so hopeful and happy. It can take up to a year to place you with a dog but I am approved and just waiting. This is a wonderful day and for it to happen on Independence Day weekend is a good sign I think.

#31 Commander Bob

Commander Bob

E-9 Master Chief Petty Officer

• HadIt.com Elder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1616 posts
  • Service Connected Disability: 120%

Posted 02 July 2011 - 11:52 AM

All my forms have been filed. .... Wish me luck.

Your new PTSD pooch, will be a lucky dog, Tbird.

Best wishes to you and your new found friend.

C.B.

Edited by Commander Bob, 02 July 2011 - 11:52 AM.

#32 Pete53

Pete53

• 21895 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 12:13 PM

Congrats and a lucky dog has found a good home.

#33 Papa

Papa

• 903 posts
  • Interests:God, Family and Country!

Posted 02 July 2011 - 08:26 PM

Best to you and that lucky dog. Maybe you should name him/her "Firecracker" or "Liberty" :rolleyes:

Papa

#34 hedgey

hedgey

E-7 Chief Petty Officer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts
  • Interests:100% IU P&T - 70% for PTSD + a few other 10%'s. 80% schedular
  • Branch of Service: usa

Posted 19 July 2011 - 12:08 PM

Yay!!! Just plain "Yay!!!!"

:D

#35 carlie

carlie

• Admin
  • 22280 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 12:18 PM

Tbird -
They are all hoping - to get YOU !

Attached File  SD waiting for Tbird.jpg   33.28KB   5 downloads

#36 sharon

sharon

HadIt.com Elder/Moderator

• Master Chief Petty Officer
  • 1126 posts
  • Interests:Veterans Advocacy

Posted 19 July 2011 - 04:36 PM

Name the dog TBird. That way people will think you are talking to yourself. Just think of the converstation... Stop Tbird, Sit Tbird, Roll over Tbird LOL. Congratulations!

#37 Tbird

Tbird

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 01:20 AM

Good one Sharon :) The dog will have a name when I get him/her and will be between 1 1/2 and 2 years old and fully trained. Just waiting for the call.

Name the dog TBird. That way people will think you are talking to yourself. Just think of the converstation... Stop Tbird, Sit Tbird, Roll over Tbird LOL. Congratulations!

#38 usmcgirl

usmcgirl

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • Service Connected Disability: 70%

Posted 28 August 2011 - 06:25 PM

Tbird.....did you ever get your Service dog?

#39 Tbird

Tbird

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 03:47 AM

Not yet, it can take up to a year to place a dog with a veteran. By next summer I should have a new buddy.

Tbird.....did you ever get your Service dog?

#40 usmcgirl

usmcgirl

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • Service Connected Disability: 70%

Posted 29 August 2011 - 05:27 AM

that's great! i am sooo excited and happy for you! It truly is going to change your life! I am not sure where you live but I went through www.canine-angels.net and they trained my dog, Beans, to be a bona fied service dog. - they don't usually do that but after hearing my case and seeing the dog and what not they took it and made it happen. I can't tell you how much it has helped me get through the day. Rick, the master trainer, is unbelievable. They work with Rolling Thunder and a bunch of Vet associations and local associations around our area. The dogs truly blow me away. Beans went from an out of control nut case to being a well behaved lady.... going with me everywhere, bringing me everything, meds, papers, putting dishes in the sink...you name it. along with the normal - sit, stay, heel, lay down,paw, take, bring, give, come. She got her license in about 3 months and everyday is reinforcement and more training to get her to the next level. A PTSD dog is a dog that does tasks but above that will provide comfort and be there for your moods and anxiety. Beans does all of that. When I have panic attacks she puts her head at my knees and nuzzles me till its over. For my nightmares she puts her face and paws on my chest and I know they aren't real. It truly is amazing to say the least. You can read about some of our journey on the canine page (cause i know Rick hasn't updated it in a while lol) if you like along with other Vets that are in the process and the dogs that are currently in training to become service dogs.

Recent blog entries on this topic

Photo

By Tbird in Tbird - Founder HadIt.com Blog, on 02 March 2013 - 07:38 AM

Source: My Journey To Get A Psd - Ptsd Service Dog

Read Full Entry →

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users