Photo
- - - - -

Dav Transportation

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

#1 chucknewcomb

chucknewcomb

E-4 Petty Officer 3rd Class

• Second Class Petty Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 09:34 AM

I have a question If I have DAV take me to my appointments am I still entitled to the travel pay

#2 Bonzai

Bonzai

E-6 Petty Officer 1st Class

• Chief Petty Officers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 09:45 AM

I have a question If I have DAV take me to my appointments am I still entitled to the travel pay

No. If you are caught, then they can suspend your checks, charge you with trying to defraud the Government, etc... DAV vans are free, so why would you get travel pay?

#3 Philip Rogers

Philip Rogers

HadIt.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3692 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 10:46 AM

No, you are not entitled to receive travel pay if you use the DAV van. Additionally, you are not supposed to receive travel pay if you car pool w/another person/vet. Only the person who's vehicle is being used is entitled to travel pay. The VA wants you to turn in offending vets for defrauding the travel pay section.

pr

#4 Pete53

Pete53

Moderator/HadIt.com Elder

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21601 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 01:31 PM

Read the voucher that you sign it tells you what is expected.

#5 chucknewcomb

chucknewcomb

E-4 Petty Officer 3rd Class

• Second Class Petty Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 09:01 PM

well thats kinda what i figured I have never used the DAV van as of yet but I was considering it as my vechile starting to act up and I am afraid it might break down on me

ok another question I think i read somewhere or heard form someone that DAV dont transport for mental health I dont understand how that could be true but I figure one of you will tell me it aint

#6 Bonzai

Bonzai

E-6 Petty Officer 1st Class

• Chief Petty Officers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 10:35 PM

well thats kinda what i figured I have never used the DAV van as of yet but I was considering it as my vechile starting to act up and I am afraid it might break down on me

ok another question I think i read somewhere or heard form someone that DAV dont transport for mental health I dont understand how that could be true but I figure one of you will tell me it aint

That sounds like a rumor to me. When I rode one in South Dakota, I never had a problem, nor was I asked what my SC'ed condition was. Maybe there are DAV chapters who refuse to transport MH clients, but I haven't heard of one. Your best shot is to give your local chapter a call, and find out from them.

#7 Philip Rogers

Philip Rogers

HadIt.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • 3692 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 03:44 AM

I agree w/Bonzai, sounds like a rumor. I, personally wouldn't ride w/them unless I had no other choice. First off, you're stuck at the VA until they're ready to leave.

pr

#8 hawkfire27

hawkfire27

E-5 Petty Officer 2nd Class

• Chief Petty Officers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 06:45 PM

ONe thing that I don't like about the DAV transport is that although you can not claim travel if you car pool with another veterans, the DAV is entitled to recieve travel pay for every veteran they give a ride to.

i.e. van has 8 veterans return, then DAV recieves 8 sets of travel pay.

Sound pretty lucritive to me, an annoying that once again there is one rule for the veterans and one rule for everyone else.

#9 faofficer

faofficer

E-3 Seaman

• Seaman
  • PipPipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 10:05 AM

There is no travel pay when riding the DAV shuttle van. The van driver is a volunteer and thus does not receive pay either. The vans are typically donated by the VFW.

At most facilities you would receive a "meal ticket" similar to the one provided to volunteers. It would be redeemed with whatever local restaurant has the contract.

#10 faofficer

faofficer

E-3 Seaman

• Seaman
  • PipPipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 10:08 AM

I have never heard a DAV shuttle refuse to transport due to a MH issue. A wheelchair condition may prevent a ride if the vehicle is not equipped with a lift.

#11 carlie

carlie

Moderator/Admin/HadIt.com Elder/SVR Radio Panelist

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21714 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 10:38 AM

I have never heard a DAV shuttle refuse to transport due to a MH issue. A wheelchair condition may prevent a ride if the vehicle is not equipped with a lift.

test post reply

#12 evandc

evandc

HadIt.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 434 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 08:30 PM

"The vans are typically donated by the VFW"

Why would VFW donate vans to DAV? Think this must be a misprint or something. Cause our DAV Chapter spent long time raising money for a van & all we had to do was ask the VFW. I'm confused here..HELP me understand..

#13 jbasser

jbasser

Moderator/HadIt.com Elder/SVR Radio Panelist

• Admin
  • 6131 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 09:05 PM

Ever been to a VFW or AL post. Quite staggering isnt it.

I mean you walk in with a certain swagger and walk out with a definate stagger.

The DAV has a very strong association with Ford so they get the vans at huge discounts with monies donated.

BAsser