Search

Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  chuck57thSig : (30 October 2014 - 05:51 PM) Sarti07, It's Under (Va Claims And Research) Http://www.hadit.com/forums/topic/59064-Prep-For-Decision-Phaseprovisional-Rating/
@  sarti07 : (30 October 2014 - 02:43 PM) Hello, I Just Posted A Topic About Prep For Decision.. I Have No Idea Where To Find It! Lol
@  carlie : (28 October 2014 - 03:42 PM) Reelnrod - Just Pick A Topic That Corresponds To Your Stuff And Post It
@  reelnrod : (28 October 2014 - 10:11 AM) So, How Do I Post A Topic?
@  Thadine : (28 October 2014 - 08:21 AM) Irrrl
@  Thadine : (28 October 2014 - 08:18 AM) Fishing License
@  Thadine : (28 October 2014 - 08:14 AM) Thadine Quick
@  red : (27 October 2014 - 12:14 PM) Anyone Heard Any Updates On Flying Space A For 100% Disabled Vets?
@  maxwell18 : (27 October 2014 - 10:49 AM) I Did Contact My Congressman Jeff Miller, Let's See What Will Happen
@  maxwell18 : (27 October 2014 - 10:48 AM) @britton
@  Tbird : (27 October 2014 - 04:26 AM) Thank You Larry S For Your Contribution To Our Funding Campaign
@  britton : (26 October 2014 - 07:33 PM) Everyone (Veteran's) Should Recive A Memo From The Dept Of Veterans Affairs ****notification Of Medication Scheduling Change****
@  britton : (26 October 2014 - 07:24 PM) Meds That Are Consider To Be Schedule Ii Narcotic...pain Meds Like Hydrocodone Ectt Ect,,
@  britton : (26 October 2014 - 07:22 PM) As I Understand We Only Can See The Va Dr's Every 28 Days To Renew Our Prescription Meds A New Law Went Into Effect Oct 6Th 2014....i Only See Problems Problems Problems With This...grrrrr
@  maxwell18 : (26 October 2014 - 03:52 PM) This Is Maxwell18 Would The Person Who Contacted Me (Vern2) Please Contact Me Again, I Attemped To E Mail You It Returned No Reply. Thanks
@  Tbird : (26 October 2014 - 05:12 AM) Thank You Maxwell18 For Your Contribution To Our Funding Campaign.
@  Notorious Kelly : (25 October 2014 - 07:53 PM) Max- Contact Your Congressman- Dea Has Got Docs So Cowed They're Afraid To Dispense Tylenol
@  maxwell18 : (25 October 2014 - 07:10 PM) Anybody Having Problems Getting Pain Pills (Norco) Filled Us Navy Base (Nas Whiting Fld Milton Fl). Had A Prescription For 90 Norco Pills For 30 Days, 3 A Day For Pain, Got 30 For 30 Days. That Will Last Me 10 Days. Another Thing That Our Government Is Screwing With Us. I Don't Know What To Do, Don't Want To To The Va, Don't Know What They Will Either. Anybody Goy Any Ideas. 
@  Burt : (25 October 2014 - 10:28 AM) Does Anyone Else Here Wear A Don Joy Armor Knee Brace From The Va?
@  red : (24 October 2014 - 10:10 AM) Any News On Space A Flying?

Photo

Recent Letter

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
14 replies to this topic

#1 rydastar

rydastar

E-3 Seaman

• Third Class Petty Officers
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 06:57 AM

so i have a ptsd claim and heart aschemia going on...my question is...i received a letter from v.a. that states they cannot find my IN SERVICE records for my claim???
Is this a typical letter that goes out? I have NO in service claim records as the ptsd and heart ischemia diagnosis was done a year ago? so they said on the letter that to look else where would be futile.
Is this the END of my claim? or is this a form letter they sent just to inform me , as they said that no other in service records can be found of my claim..its crazy to me, as i didn't have any inservice claim for anything 40 some odd years ago...no one knew about ptsd, or AO!
thanks i was rambling but trying to get my point across.. i hope this is not the end of my claim..

#2 Berta

Berta

HadIt.com Elder/SVR Radio Panelist

• SVR
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28858 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 07:04 AM

I see you are USN.

'I have NO in service claim records as the ptsd and heart ischemia diagnosis was done a year ago?'

Are you considered Blue Water Navy or Brown Water?

Did you have visitation to Vietnam-even for mere minutes?

Is your ship on the Brown Water list?

Does your claim fall into the New PTSD criteria?

If not have they asked for stressor info yet?

Be as detailed as possible on the stressor.

#3 Berta

Berta

• SVR
  • 28858 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 07:07 AM

sorry be as detailed as possible to the VA- you dont need to reveal the stressor here.

The new PTSD criteria is here in our PTSD forum.

In some cases the VA will not consider the MOS and time of stressor etc as consistent with the new regs andwill try to have it verified by Joint Services Records Research Center.

Did your PTSD diagnsis come from a VA MH professional?

#4 Berta

Berta

• SVR
  • 28858 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 07:17 AM

I found a past post your made here.

You said you were on the Mekong Delta in around 68-69. I assume you went into tributaries (Brown Water)

Can you tell me exactly what type of boat or vessel this was and what ship it came from?

#5 Chuck75

Chuck75

HadIt.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1458 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 09:34 AM

Generally, the VA sends out a letter acknowledging a claim. This letter may ask for the world as far as service records, medical records, etc..
What I do know is that your Navy service records were kept at the St. Louis records center. When the VA receives a claim, they normally request those records.
The records center has been known to occasionally say that they don't have records when they actually do have them.

IMPORTANT!
If you have a service connected disability, or claim in progress, the VA likely has the master copy of your records.
It seems that the National Records center sends the ORIGINAL to the VA, not a copy. The Original may eventually be returned by the VA to the records center after a period of inactivity.
(No further claims, no VA actions needed, etc.)
Just to add to the problems, service record custodians have repeatedly claimed that the VA is returning incomplete files, showing that the VA "lost' key records. It also seems that the type of records
often "lost" are those that might be favorable to a claim.
If the VA has somehow "lost" the original copy, completely reconstructing the records is a chancy thing.
"Buddy" Statements may be the only option. This gets difficult after forty or so years have elapsed.
Since you mentioned "brown water" service, you may have been part of what is called the "River Rats". If so there is a web site run by the MRFA that may have some useful information.
http://www.mrfa.org

When I was separated from the Navy in 1969, I was given a copy of the records in my "jacket".
These were not complete, and several problems resulted. I had to do research to determine the number and type of awards that I was entitled to that were not on the original DD214.
This eventually resulted in the issuance of a DD215. All of the records involved were at St. Louis.
I was also able to obtain a copy of my records from ST. Louis before the VA got their grubbys on them. This included some hospital records that were key to proving "feet on ground" well before the VA finally acknowledged
"Brown Water" service was presumptive for A.O. exposure.

Funny thing, records of a potentially "CUE"able claim going back to 1969-70 are no longer in the Original file currently held by the VA.
(I'm still digging to see if I have a readable copy of the VA denial somewhere in a closet full of records.)
Just to complicate matters, my parents passed away some years ago, and we are still sorting those records as well.
So far, we have disposed of uncountable bags of shredded records that are un-needed. After a dozen or so bags, we loose patience, and have to quit for a week or two.

so i have a ptsd claim and heart aschemia going on...my question is...i received a letter from v.a. that states they cannot find my IN SERVICE records for my claim???
Is this a typical letter that goes out? I have NO in service claim records as the ptsd and heart ischemia diagnosis was done a year ago? so they said on the letter that to look else where would be futile.
Is this the END of my claim? or is this a form letter they sent just to inform me , as they said that no other in service records can be found of my claim..its crazy to me, as i didn't have any inservice claim for anything 40 some odd years ago...no one knew about ptsd, or AO!
thanks i was rambling but trying to get my point across.. i hope this is not the end of my claim..

#6 Berta

Berta

• SVR
  • 28858 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 10:33 AM

Great info Chuck-I misunderstood this vet-

I thought he was saying VA said they found no evidence of PTSD or IHD in his service records.

#7 john999

john999

HadIt.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • 22268 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 12:27 PM

This is what VA told Commander Bob about his PTSD claim. No in-service record of PTSD therefore claim denied.

#8 mrs rockman (widow of vet)

mrs rockman (widow of vet)

E-5 Petty Officer 2nd Class

• First Class Petty Officer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 24 April 2011 - 05:47 AM

Rockman filed his claim for his PTSD from Vietman in September 2010. We waited and waited and wondered why VA kept saying he had to prove his inservice. With the new regs, we were very confused. We had filed for his Agent Orange Claims and all that. We did the IRIS thing and got a call from the Nashville RO within 2 days. We did not realize that the VA needed a new release of medical information for this claim, since it was not agent orange related. As soon as we did this, things started moving along. I don't know if this is of any help or not., but it did in our claim.
Mrs. Rockman

#9 rydastar

rydastar

E-3 Seaman

• PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 24 April 2011 - 03:51 PM

ok let me answer this first...thanks for replys,,, yes i was diagnosed last year in n.y. for aschemia, by my cardiologist, i have a stent in place from heart problem approx 5-7 years ago, yes i am river rat, mekong delta 68-69 , my base ship we were attached to was named in new regs. uss benawah..i have been to psychiatrist of myt own and she diag. me as ptsd symptoms gaf. 50%

I see you are USN.

'I have NO in service claim records as the ptsd and heart ischemia diagnosis was done a year ago?'

Are you considered Blue Water Navy or Brown Water?

Did you have visitation to Vietnam-even for mere minutes?

Is your ship on the Brown Water list?

Does your claim fall into the New PTSD criteria?

If not have they asked for stressor info yet?

Be as detailed as possible on the stressor.

#10 rydastar

rydastar

E-3 Seaman

• PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 24 April 2011 - 03:54 PM

yes i was in river squadron 91...ATC (armored troop carrier) , alfa boat, mike boat also...it came from u.s.s. Benawah..

I found a past post your made here.

You said you were on the Mekong Delta in around 68-69. I assume you went into tributaries (Brown Water)

Can you tell me exactly what type of boat or vessel this was and what ship it came from?

#11 john999

john999

HadIt.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • 22268 posts

Posted 24 April 2011 - 04:36 PM

Has the VA diagnosed you with PTSD? That is important now. Do you have combat medal, ribbons or badges? As long as you have proof you were in Vietnam your heart claim should be approved. If you have PTSD DX from the VA with your combat history you should be approved for that condition as well. There have been recent rule changes for PTSD. You must get a PTSD DX from the VA. This is my understanding. Our man here, Larry, has a very good grasp of this rule change. It used to be that you had to verify a stressor for PTSD. I think now if VA says you have PTSD then that is all you need.

#12 rydastar

rydastar

E-3 Seaman

• PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 07:29 AM

Well i have been to a v.a. phys. Ass't and he looked at me and my cardioligist diagnosis with heart problems. Then i went in for a ekg. i do have medals ribbons badges and also its on my dd214 combat ribbon with bronze V and another ribbon also. As i said earlier my private psychiatrist gave me a gaf of ptsd 50% diagnosis. As it stand now NO to your question of a V.A. doctor diagnosing me with ptsd. I am hoping that is the next step in this process ?.
It just seems like they are not getting my health records i sent and someone else is getting my application claim and not putting them together, If that makes sense?
At one time after submitting my health records i got a letter that they lost my records, then later i get this letter that its "futile" to look any further? I am starting to get ready to dump this whole thing. what a runaround. i will wait for there next communication thnough and see if its any different or what the story is. I also read the new rules and at least as i read it i do not need to show or proove my stressor as was the case in the past, As long as i showed i was in country..to me it sounds weird, being on the river for about a year, many fire fights etc. and having to show i was there..man!! any ways thanks for any and all your help and comments, i will keep trying to get this right even though i am getting depressed at the process. i will update as things progress good or bad! outcome..thanks ryd...

Has the VA diagnosed you with PTSD? That is important now. Do you have combat medal, ribbons or badges? As long as you have proof you were in Vietnam your heart claim should be approved. If you have PTSD DX from the VA with your combat history you should be approved for that condition as well. There have been recent rule changes for PTSD. You must get a PTSD DX from the VA. This is my understanding. Our man here, Larry, has a very good grasp of this rule change. It used to be that you had to verify a stressor for PTSD. I think now if VA says you have PTSD then that is all you need.

#13 Berta

Berta

• SVR
  • 28858 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 09:36 AM

Yep- USS Benawah was exposed to AO and your MOS was Brown Water.(ATC)

The ship should be on this list link:
http://www.hadit.com...for-navy-ships/

If it isnt I have other links but having PC problems due to weather and will post links later---

Your PTSD claim and IHD claim should be relatively easy based on what I see here BUT

check out the new PTSD regs here in the PTSD forum- and I need to mention this-

the list of ships providing vessels to inland waterways-Vietnam- has gotten longer over the past year. I dont know if the VA's list is up to date.

Some of the younger Va raters probably wouldn't know an ATC from a fire tug so it pays to give them detailed info on the ATC and the ship it came from as being on the AO ships list.

A printout proving that should be all they need.

"As i said earlier my private psychiatrist gave me a gaf of PTSD 50% diagnosis. " Unfortunately the new regs require a PTSD from a VA MH provider.(This is unfair and is being challenged in court)I dont think you will have any problems however with the PTSD claim - but you should mention the private diagnosis to the C & P doctor.

I think someone at VA saw USN on your IHD claim and just arbitrarily assumed you were Blue Water and thus said no records of PTSD or IHD in service.( how many vets really have PTSD or IHD in their service records-sure not many)

They need it explained to them that your ship was AO presumptive and so was your MOS.

"It just seems like they are not getting my health records i sent and someone else is getting my application claim and not putting them together, If that makes sense?
At one time after submitting my health records i got a letter that they lost my records, then later i get this letter that its "futile" to look any further?"

Boy they are messing up here.

Can you possibly scan and post that letter (cover personal stuff.)

Do you have a vet rep?

#14 rydastar

rydastar

E-3 Seaman

• PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 03:03 PM

i will look for the letter that info was lost,,and scan if ...i dont know about a vet rep? i have someone helping me with this claim and seems to being a great job, i am for lack of a better word, apprehensive ,nervous, etc.LOL but believe me these last comments from you and others has made me feel a lot better..thanks again

Yep- USS Benawah was exposed to AO and your MOS was Brown Water.(ATC)

The ship should be on this list link:
http://www.hadit.com...for-navy-ships/

If it isnt I have other links but having PC problems due to weather and will post links later---

Your PTSD claim and IHD claim should be relatively easy based on what I see here BUT

check out the new PTSD regs here in the PTSD forum- and I need to mention this-

the list of ships providing vessels to inland waterways-Vietnam- has gotten longer over the past year. I dont know if the VA's list is up to date.

Some of the younger Va raters probably wouldn't know an ATC from a fire tug so it pays to give them detailed info on the ATC and the ship it came from as being on the AO ships list.

A printout proving that should be all they need.

"As i said earlier my private psychiatrist gave me a gaf of PTSD 50% diagnosis. " Unfortunately the new regs require a PTSD from a VA MH provider.(This is unfair and is being challenged in court)I dont think you will have any problems however with the PTSD claim - but you should mention the private diagnosis to the C & P doctor.

I think someone at VA saw USN on your IHD claim and just arbitrarily assumed you were Blue Water and thus said no records of PTSD or IHD in service.( how many vets really have PTSD or IHD in their service records-sure not many)

They need it explained to them that your ship was AO presumptive and so was your MOS.

"It just seems like they are not getting my health records i sent and someone else is getting my application claim and not putting them together, If that makes sense?
At one time after submitting my health records i got a letter that they lost my records, then later i get this letter that its "futile" to look any further?"

Boy they are messing up here.

Can you possibly scan and post that letter (cover personal stuff.)

Do you have a vet rep?

#15 Berta

Berta

• SVR
  • 28858 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 05:41 AM

Your ship is also on this AO list from H VAC and posted at the Blue Water Navy Site:

http://www.bluewater...g/shiplist3.pdf