Search

Advertise Here

Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  britton : (23 October 2014 - 08:14 AM) I Got It Tbird Thank You
@  Tbird : (22 October 2014 - 05:26 AM) Britton Sent You A Pm
@  britton : (21 October 2014 - 10:05 PM) Tbird, I Sent A Donation To Hadit Via Pay Pal...i Hope You Got It?
@  raven316 : (21 October 2014 - 01:59 PM) Glasses
@  iceturkee : (20 October 2014 - 06:50 AM) Good Luck Plum
@  Notorious Kelly : (19 October 2014 - 06:32 AM) I Wish You All The Best With That, Plum!
@  me.plum : (18 October 2014 - 01:09 PM) Hearing For Bva 11-19 At 8:30 Wow!!! Thanks Everyone!!!
@  Tbird : (18 October 2014 - 12:30 PM) Buckeye46 Thank For Contributing Our Fund Raiser
@  Notorious Kelly : (17 October 2014 - 02:11 PM) Impressive Site, Kimmy. I Bookmarked. Thanks! :)
@  Kimmy : (17 October 2014 - 08:31 AM) I Recently Discover The Site. It Is Very Detailed With Info On Conditions And Ratings.
@  Kimmy : (17 October 2014 - 08:28 AM) Has Anyone Here Been To This Site? Http://www.militarydisabilitymadeeasy.com/
@  Tbird : (17 October 2014 - 08:06 AM) Snake Eyes Thank You For Remembering Us. Congratulations On Your Retro.
@  Snake Eyes : (16 October 2014 - 07:04 PM) Thinking Of Donating A Portion Of My Retro On Next Claim. Smaller Amount Coming Beginning Of November. Thanks For The Good Work!
@  britton : (13 October 2014 - 06:13 AM) Hi There T Bird Shout Backatcha
@  Tbird : (13 October 2014 - 06:04 AM) Britton Ahoy There Matey Give You A Shout Out Back
@  Tbird : (13 October 2014 - 06:00 AM) Thank You Michael M For Your Contribution To Our Funding Campaign
@  Tbird : (13 October 2014 - 05:57 AM) Thank You Elliot K For Your Contribution To Our Funding Campaign
@  Timothy11 : (12 October 2014 - 05:58 PM) Retro Pay
@  britton : (12 October 2014 - 10:10 AM) Hey Everyone!!!......i Give A Shout!!!.......:)
@  Notorious Kelly : (11 October 2014 - 04:18 PM) Hey- There's Britton Right On Top Of The Dealy Bobber!

Photo
- - - - -

Can I Change Va Hospitals?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
15 replies to this topic

#1 11B1P

11B1P

E-2 Recruit

• Seaman
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 12:54 PM

MY FIRST TIME POSTING! I'm in NC and I'm about the same distance to Fayetteville as to Durham. Both cities have VA hospitals, but I can only go to Fayettville. I am a vietman vet, at 60 percent and I receive medical care for AO related cancer surgery. From what I've been able to research and observe, Fayetteville is poorly rated as far as its quality of healthcare. I have been told I cannot change locations. Is this true? If I can, how do I go about it? Thank you--

Advertise Here

#2 Testvet

Testvet

HadIt.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2478 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 01:40 PM

I don't knpw the rules about it but I live 10 miles from Dorn VA in Columbia and I still go to Charlie Norwood in Augusta Ga 70 miles away I don't ask for travel pay as I choose to do this but I have excellent doctors in Augusta and I hated all the docs I met when I tried to chage to Dorn they were rude, wanted to cut medications for no reason, one doc told me if I didn't let them to a heart cath on me all I would ever get from them again was an aspirin I asked them to get a copy of the heart cath Augusta had done on me the month before and I was not real keen on having anyone poking around in my heart I have only one good artery left so I quit trying to get my appts at Dorn and I just keep all my appts in Augusta no one has never told me I can't do it

#3 Bigred122

Bigred122

E-5 Petty Officer 2nd Class

• Chief Petty Officers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 02:03 PM

MY FIRST TIME POSTING! I'm in NC and I'm about the same distance to Fayetteville as to Durham. Both cities have VA hospitals, but I can only go to Fayettville. I am a vietman vet, at 60 percent and I receive medical care for AO related cancer surgery. From what I've been able to research and observe, Fayetteville is poorly rated as far as its quality of healthcare. I have been told I cannot change locations. Is this true? If I can, how do I go about it? Thank you--

Like Testvet stated there is no rules against changing VAMCs.Each hospital has certain ways and procedures they prefer.Like Testvet, my previous VAMC would not change my medications no matter what.Now they had better all around programs than my current hospital. But my current health program was a life and death situation that required a med change. So I moved, the VAMC changed my meds and my health in that area is better.But my latest VAMC have no cardiologist on staff. So it's sort of a pain we are forced to put up with. I will have to move again if I choose to better my health at the bigger hospital.Unfortunately my two VAMCs are 500 miles apart. So unless it's a specialized treatment that you require and both hospitals don't have it available, the choice is up to you where you go.I only recommend that you get the last couple of years records before you move and give the new hospital a copy. That way they can immediately continue your treatments.Even umongst themselves they are slow to get records from each other.Good luck with what ever way YOU CHOOSE to go.Mike

#4 retiredat44

retiredat44

E-8 Senior Chief Petty Officer

• Senior Chief Petty Officer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 03:20 PM

I want to move, when I get my appeals through I want to move to a smaller community away from the city,, and need to be close to a VA hospital... about one hour away will be ok... but I don't know which hopitals have the care I am used to in San Diego... I would like to move into the Pacific Northwest... so I guess my choices are Oregon, Washington, Nevada,, etc... I just want cooler weather and slow lifestyle, for my last few remaining years... I need to find out if they all offer the same care I need.. my needs are mostly Intestinal disease, pain, spine... neurology.. eyes... I need to leave the crazy lunatic rat race...

I know there are direcotires with locations shwoing where the VA clinics and hospitals are,, just not sure if they all have the same care...

one thing about San Diego VA, they share doctors with University of California San Diego Medical center ..
some of my doctors work at both...

specialities they are in: intestinal diseases, pancreas disease, liver disease..

#5 Bigred122

Bigred122

E-5 Petty Officer 2nd Class

• Chief Petty Officers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 06:16 PM

I want to move, when I get my appeals through I want to move to a smaller community away from the city,, and need to be close to a VA hospital... about one hour away will be ok... but I don't know which hopitals have the care I am used to in San Diego... I would like to move into the Pacific Northwest... so I guess my choices are Oregon, Washington, Nevada,, etc... I just want cooler weather and slow lifestyle, for my last few remaining years... I need to find out if they all offer the same care I need.. my needs are mostly Intestinal disease, pain, spine... neurology.. eyes... I need to leave the crazy lunatic rat race...

I know there are direcotires with locations shwoing where the VA clinics and hospitals are,, just not sure if they all have the same care...

one thing about San Diego VA, they share doctors with University of California San Diego Medical center ..
some of my doctors work at both...

specialities they are in: intestinal diseases, pancreas disease, liver disease..

The Portland VAMC works with the Oregon Health and Science University ( they share the same pill hill) they do alot of research and transplants in the areas you mentioned and more.The only problem is that they are a full service hospital which means they treat every Vet whether they have just a cold or a life threatening issue. So they are always busy.Portland is far from being a small town. Check out the web site Aspire that someone just posted recently on this site. It is for comparing the different hospitals against each other.It will show their ratings, problems and areas that they specialize in. The OIG site is good for checking out some of the smaller VAMC like White City,oregon, Walla Walla washington and how they did on their inspections. Only info not available to us is their screwups, we could use that against them.lol Boise is the only one that I wouldn't recommend to anyone.They have down sized so much, I don't know what they treat anymore, but azzholes by azzholes.They pump out alot of colonoscopies. No cardiologist,they just retired my ex primary who was their last internalist. They got into big trouble a few years ago in their prostectics dept. So they have to go outside the system if you need anything. They deny most things and the stuff they approve takes forever to get. As soon as my claim gets finished, I'm moving back to Portland area.Just don't let them mess with your meds.They have had to many people abuse them and kill them selves and now their afraid to prescribe anything.mike

#6 11B1P

11B1P

E-2 Recruit

• Seaman
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 07:29 PM

thanks for all the replies so far-but i'm still uncertain as to if I can switch VMAC'c without authority. I asked at a local va clinic, and they said no! I could only change if there was a specialty I needed that was not available at Fayetteville. Has anyone ever changed VMAC's just because they felt it would provide better healthcare? I appreciate any responses.

#7 carlie

carlie

Moderator/Admin/HadIt.com Elder/SVR Radio Panelist

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22175 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 08:37 PM

thanks for all the replies so far-but i'm still uncertain as to if I can switch VMAC'c without authority. I asked at a local va clinic, and they said no! I could only change if there was a specialty I needed that was not available at Fayetteville. Has anyone ever changed VMAC's just because they felt it would provide better healthcare? I appreciate any responses.

VA Health Eligibility Home

Might be an answer here:

http://www.va.gov/healtheligibility/

OR - Ask VA a question by computer

https://iris.custhelp.com/

#8 Notorious Kelly

Notorious Kelly

• 1218 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 05:17 AM

I travel the country and change VA's all the time; it's an unfortunate requirement because of the compartmentalized regions.

Each time you must go thru Enrollment to get a PCP assigned and come in for an appointment.

Example: I was enrolled in Phoenix, and went to clinic in Yuma, Arizona.

Yuma falls under the Tucson VA, so I had to be enrolled by them to be seen in Yuma.

No one has ever given me grief about changing VA's; just that I have to "Enroll".

I would just go to the VA you want to be seen at and enroll.

Good luck! :smile:

#9 Philip Rogers

Philip Rogers

HadIt.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • 3928 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 06:51 AM

You can choose any VAMC you want but can only receive travel pay to your nearest one. You merely need to go to the new VAMC and go thru the eligibility process there.

pr

#10 justrluk

justrluk

• 824 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 07:40 AM

Test -

I go to the SAME hospital, ask for travel, and get it. I get paid for the drive to my closest facility offering the same service, but it's at least something. I'd ask if I were you!

#11 wdroberson

wdroberson

E-4 Petty Officer 3rd Class

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 07:55 AM

[quote name='11B1P' timestamp='1311125392' post='251372'] 

Edited by wdroberson, 09 October 2011 - 12:54 PM.

#12 jbasser

jbasser

Moderator/HadIt.com Elder/SVR Radio Panelist

• Admin
  • 6241 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 08:08 AM

I would change in a Heartbeat. Duram VA is associated with Duke. That means the docs and residents are some of the best.

Mapquest your address to each location and note any mileage differences.

J

#13 carlie

carlie

Moderator/Admin/HadIt.com Elder/SVR Radio Panelist

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22175 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 09:13 AM

I travel the country and change VA's all the time; it's an unfortunate requirement because of the compartmentalized regions.

Each time you must go thru Enrollment to get a PCP assigned and come in for an appointment.

Example: I was enrolled in Phoenix, and went to clinic in Yuma, Arizona.

Yuma falls under the Tucson VA, so I had to be enrolled by them to be seen in Yuma.

No one has ever given me grief about changing VA's; just that I have to "Enroll".

I would just go to the VA you want to be seen at and enroll.

Good luck! :smile:

Kelly,

You should not need to keep reapplying.

Tell them you want your status as this - Benefits on the Go.

Benefits on the Go

VA enrollment allows health care benefits to become portable throughout the entire VA system. Enrolled veterans who are traveling or who spend time away from their primary treatment facility may obtain care at any VA health care facility across the country without the worry of having to reapply.

#14 Notorious Kelly

Notorious Kelly

• 1218 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 08:03 AM

Kelly,

You should not need to keep reapplying.

Tell them you want your status as this - Benefits on the Go.

Benefits on the Go

VA enrollment allows health care benefits to become portable throughout the entire VA system. Enrolled veterans who are traveling or who spend time away from their primary treatment facility may obtain care at any VA health care facility across the country without the worry of having to reapply.

Thanks, Carlie! :smile:

#15 faofficer

faofficer

E-3 Seaman

• Seaman
  • PipPipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 09:13 AM

it is easy to move from one va to another. They can retrieve your information from other facilities after you register. As long as your information is up to date they can pull you info after you provide: full name, bday, ssn, mother's maiden name, whether or not you have a sc condition, and place of birth. People travel back and forth between florida during the winter and indiana in the summer. They have no trouble.

If you moved you can go to va.gov and find a facility. just enter your zip code and the closest facilities will populate and their mileage from your zip.

#16 Testvet

Testvet

HadIt.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • 2478 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 10:25 AM

with their 6 dollar offsets I doubt I would get much if any since I am 10.6 miles from Dorn and I am too lazy to go stand in that long line to try and get a dollar of two or be told I get nothing I am not into rocking the boat unless it is really worthwhle which I will do after they put in the AICD and since I can't walk much more than 10-20 feet without losing my breath and having to sit down to get my breath back I am going to ask my primary care doc and my cardiac doc to write in the treatment notes that I have basically lost the use of my legs as being mobile and see if I can't get the auto allowance, the house allowance and the mortgage insurance and for A&A now that will be worth arguing about that is a lot of heavy money benefits I have a 10% ejection fraction and and in end stage congestive heart failure so I will start the claims hoping I get them done before I expire so Mrs Testvet can keep the claim alive to get the benefits that we should have obtained while I was still alive.

Advertise Here