Photo
- - - - -

How Long Does Voc Rehab Take

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
17 replies to this topic

#1 Cm Burns

Cm Burns

E-5 Petty Officer 2nd Class

• Chief Petty Officers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 11:24 AM

once you go the the breifing and are found to be entitled for it what or how long does it take to get set up at the school.

what is the protocal. i am signed up at a tech school i just dont know what happens after that.

thanks

#2 Cm Burns

Cm Burns

• Chief Petty Officers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 07:13 PM

bump

#3 Dot09

Dot09

E-7 Chief Petty Officer

• Senior Chief Petty Officer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 414 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 02:16 PM

Post Removed

Edited by Dot09, 02 January 2012 - 07:50 AM.

#4 Cm Burns

Cm Burns

• Chief Petty Officers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 09:06 AM

can i get some more detailed info for voc rehab. like timeline info ect. I will have my entitlement appt on the 17th can you give me an idea once we do hat apt what happens. HE told me to bring in my info for job exploration which I will have and my dd214. Please advise

#5 JR Reihs

JR Reihs

HadIt.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 521 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 11:09 AM

CM,

It has been a long time since I went through Voc Rehab, but it was quick( within 2 weeks) once I was found eligible. You also need to talk to a counselor at the Tech School that knows about the VA programs in case they drag their feet on payment to the School, also take any papers from the school to show your starting date and hourly count to your VA appointment.

Voc Rehab is the best program going IMO, I wasn't even allowed to buy a pencil....I would just go get what I needed at the book store and sign a receipt. Keep your grades in check and your enrollment up to date along with appointments with the VA Rehab.......things go smooth, or at least they used to.

#6 navydoc2

navydoc2

E-7 Chief Petty Officer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 02:13 PM

I became eligible for VocRehab in Sept 06, and was in school for the next semester. Like JR says it is usually pretty quick once you have done the interview and testing. I think all thats next is you turning in your program of study, as long as its approved you will get a letter from them telling you how much you are going to receive each month based on your hours of study. I don't know if you are aware of this but you also are eligible for dental care while you are in school. Good Luck. I agree with JR it is a great program and a great opportunity for vets.

/doc

#7 john999

john999

HadIt.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21816 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 03:22 PM

It is a good deal for the government as well. If they can rehab a vet who is getting 70% to where he can now work and make good money then they will not have to pay him 100% one day and support his wife and kids forever. If you get a job making 100,000 bucks a year that is a lot better than compensation, and the government gets taxes.

#8 Cm Burns

Cm Burns

• Chief Petty Officers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 04:42 PM

I have been to the testing I meet with my counselor on the 17th. If I have my class schedule and all that from school I am wondering what's next and how long does it take for you sub allowance to start after u start school. I start on the 22nd. We will be doing my plan on wed. If I need a camera will the get it and a cp for me. How is that covered. they dont give you much info. they are very vague here.

#9 Cm Burns

Cm Burns

• Chief Petty Officers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 04:45 PM

Shouldn't take too much longer.. Make sure you apply for the Post 911 too, because this August you will have the choice of picking the better pay of the two. You only need them to say you qualify.

how do you know which one you've applied for. my ap just said voc rehab.

#10 halos2

halos2

E-8 Senior Chief Petty Officer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1488 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 05:38 PM

Took a couple of weeks to be awarded and around 5-6 weeks for a check to arrive. Much quicker than any claim or retro. Mine was different as I already had some degrees and did a volunteer job and was paid to do that for some months, the best thing was my dental was completely covered. Even after experience and $$ stopped the dental was completed and took almost 2 years.

#11 Cm Burns

Cm Burns

• Chief Petty Officers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 05:58 PM

When you say awarded do u mean determine to be entitled. He already said he was finding me eligable just got to go there and do the orientation. Im in ga are they slower or faster. I know the apt was quicker

#12 USNDW

USNDW

• First Class Petty Officer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 09:02 PM

A lot of what you are asking is really dependent on how the VR&E office where you are going to handles business. Once they submit your information that you are in school and attending, you will probably get your allowance between 4-8 weeks. 5-6 weeks as mentioned below is about the norm, but some are quicker & some are slower.

Being eligible means you fit the disability rating and assessment necessary to get into a program. The entitlement is the payment that starts after you begin school. The camera & computer are again, up to the VR&E office you are going through. Some are very liberal, I heard of a Veteran getting a Mac from one, and I have heard VR&E counselors say No to computer requests. If your schooling requires a computer & a camera, you are probably not going to have any problem.

Maybe you should hold off some of your questions for the 17th when you meet with your counselor, because we can all give you guesstimates, but those are just guesses.

Good luck with your program

#13 Cm Burns

Cm Burns

• Chief Petty Officers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 12:22 PM

Thnx for all he help. I do appreciate it all. I will let you guys know how things go.

#14 Cm Burns

Cm Burns

• Chief Petty Officers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 11:20 AM

i was found entitled today but school says they are swamped and have not caught up in admissions. I dont know what to do. My voc rehab guy says he had to have that to move forward. we did the exploration already his is all I m waiting on.

I assume the progress does not start until they get the acceptance letter.

please let me know if you guys know what the next few steps are.

please help.

#15 JR Reihs

JR Reihs

HadIt.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 521 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 09:20 PM

See if your school has a VA person on campus...........YOU really need to get to know this person in order to keep things on track. Do not let the school BS you on the admission crap.......Have them fax your info to the Rehab counselor and let them sort it out.

Your in and that is all that matters, the funds will come.

#16 Cm Burns

Cm Burns

• Chief Petty Officers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 02:26 PM

I reapplied for Voc Rehab on the 15th of july

was scheduled for an appintment the 2nd but got the letter on the 6th

had my orientation on the 17th and was found to be entitled due to me not working since 2006

registered for school on the 17th and got my acceptance letter...

on the 18th today took my reg info to my counselor and he gave me the doc authorizing payment of all books tuition and every thing else I needed.

He also told me I will get my sustinance to help with cost and I am entitled to any medical dental and optical i need.

this has been my timeline so far. i will let you know when i get my first sustinance check. it takes like 3 weeks to get travel pay from coming to voc hab apts I can tell you that.

#17 Cm Burns

Cm Burns

• Chief Petty Officers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 04:26 PM

how does voc rehab pay the stipen my counselor did not tell me. Also how is it paid... i mean for each month for the monthly or what is there somewhere i can read about this

#18 Pete53

Pete53

Moderator/HadIt.com Elder

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21600 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 07:51 PM

They send a check or to your bank account