Photo
- - - - -

Suspected Overpay Or Pay Error

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
11 replies to this topic

#1 talon

talon

E-2 Recruit

• New User Review
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 05:05 PM

Hello Fellow Veterans,

I am new to this forum, and I ask therefore that you momentarily indulge any errors that might materialize.

I have been on virtually uninterrupted disability compensation (100%) since 1969 due to injuries received
in Vietnam while in combat. I use the word "virtually" judiciously since it was interrupted in error by the VA
about a year ago for a period of about a month before it was resolved, i.e., the va claimed that I had been
overpaid an enormous amount of money since I had allegedly failed to respond to a written questionnaire
addressing my current mailing status-- a request that I never received. In any event, with the assistance of
the OIG, the matter was quickly resolved in my favor.

Insofar as the instant problem is concerned, it is essentially thus: while I was reviewing my bank statements
today, 8.9.11, I noticed that there had been deposited into my account an amount of $716.00 on 23 August, 2011.
The notation on my bank statement was identical to my normal monthly deposit, to wit:
US Treasury 310 DES: xxVA BENEF ID: (my ss number) 00 62 INDN: (my name).

The amount, as mentioned supra, was for $716.00. The problem is that I have no idea what this deposit
is related to or why it was deposited to my account, and in light of the aforementioned faux pas by the
VA, I certainly do not want any time to pass without its resolution.

I have tried telephoning the VA at 800-827-1000, but all I receive is a menu of options, none of which
address my current problem and offering no human with whom to speak. I have tried googling the
internet under the general heading of "reporting suspected overpayment" and its assorted variations,
and I again have drawn a blank.

The only option that I have uncovered which might offer a resolution is the telephone number of
The Inspector General's office, but this appears to address a third party reporting the deliberate fraud
of another.

MY question then is this: does ANYONE know how to contact the VA by telephone and either
question the provenance of an electronic deposit or alternatively report an overpayment so that
it can be returned to the proper authority/department?

I very much appreciate your patience and indulgence with this fumbling correspondence.

Thank you.

#2 john999

john999

HadIt.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22158 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 07:45 PM

If I were you I would just put the money in an interest gathering accout and wait for them to ask for it. It is not your fault they paid you this money. If they made a mistake you will hear about it.

#3 talon

talon

E-2 Recruit

• New User Review
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 08:01 PM

Dear John999,

I trust that this finds you well and in good spirits.

Your suggestion is a good one, and in point of fact, I had already separated
that amount from my general funds against the day when it would/might be
requested. However, during the interim, I would very much like to contact
someone within the appropriate agency/department and apprise them of this
anomaly, hopefully stopping any further spurious deposits.

I sincerely appreciate your kind and prompt response.

Thank you

#4 USNDW

USNDW

E-5 Petty Officer 2nd Class

• First Class Petty Officer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 09:05 PM

That is the amount for the clothing allowance this year.

Did you apply for the clothing allowance? Do you have to wear braces? Use a wheelchair? Use any creams or meds that stain clothing? Your deposit was on the same day most of us who are static received payment, meaning we don't have to apply every year, we are permanently scheduled to receive it.

#5 carlie

carlie

Moderator/Admin/HadIt.com Elder/SVR Radio Panelist

• Admin
  • 21904 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 09:15 PM

That is the amount for the clothing allowance this year.
Did you apply for the clothing allowance? Do you have to wear braces? Use a wheelchair? Use any creams or meds that stain clothing? Your deposit was on the same day most of us who are static received payment, meaning we don't have to apply every year, we are permanently scheduled to receive it.

DITTO

#6 talon

talon

E-2 Recruit

• New User Review
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 09:45 PM

Fellow Vets,

I feel like an idiot! Yes, the nature of my injuries were in part due to the loss of
both legs from a hand grenade. I had totally forgotten about the annual "clothing
allowance" that I receive.

Please, please, accept my most humble and abject apologies for intruding
and foolishly taking up your very valuable time, and thank you so very much
for your kind and courteous help.

You have a wonderful site herein, and from my readings provide an
incalculably valuable service to the veteran community.

#7 SANDMAN

SANDMAN

E-5 Petty Officer 2nd Class

• First Class Petty Officer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 09:35 AM

Ask and you shall receive . This place has knowledge out the wazoo ! Put your mind at ease now !

Sgt Sandman

#8 carlie

carlie

• Admin
  • 21904 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 10:32 AM

Fellow Vets,

I feel like an idiot! Yes, the nature of my injuries were in part due to the loss of
both legs from a hand grenade. I had totally forgotten about the annual "clothing
allowance" that I receive.

Please, please, accept my most humble and abject apologies for intruding
and foolishly taking up your very valuable time, and thank you so very much
for your kind and courteous help.

You have a wonderful site herein, and from my readings provide an
incalculably valuable service to the veteran community.

talon,
No apology needed at all - I'm just glad to see the cash is truly
yours to enjoy and that your mind has been put at ease on this.
Thank you for all the sacrifices you have had to endure and your
service.

#9 jattoffresno

jattoffresno

E-2 Recruit

• Seaman
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 05:17 PM

Hello Fellow Veterans,

I am new to this forum, and I ask therefore that you momentarily indulge any errors that might materialize.

I have been on virtually uninterrupted disability compensation (100%) since 1969 due to injuries received
in Vietnam while in combat. I use the word "virtually" judiciously since it was interrupted in error by the VA
about a year ago for a period of about a month before it was resolved, i.e., the va claimed that I had been
overpaid an enormous amount of money since I had allegedly failed to respond to a written questionnaire
addressing my current mailing status-- a request that I never received. In any event, with the assistance of
the OIG, the matter was quickly resolved in my favor.

Insofar as the instant problem is concerned, it is essentially thus: while I was reviewing my bank statements
today, 8.9.11, I noticed that there had been deposited into my account an amount of $716.00 on 23 August, 2011.
The notation on my bank statement was identical to my normal monthly deposit, to wit:
US Treasury 310 DES: xxVA BENEF ID: (my ss number) 00 62 INDN: (my name).

The amount, as mentioned supra, was for $716.00. The problem is that I have no idea what this deposit
is related to or why it was deposited to my account, and in light of the aforementioned faux pas by the
VA, I certainly do not want any time to pass without its resolution.

I have tried telephoning the VA at 800-827-1000, but all I receive is a menu of options, none of which
address my current problem and offering no human with whom to speak. I have tried googling the
internet under the general heading of "reporting suspected overpayment" and its assorted variations,
and I again have drawn a blank.

The only option that I have uncovered which might offer a resolution is the telephone number of
The Inspector General's office, but this appears to address a third party reporting the deliberate fraud
of another.

MY question then is this: does ANYONE know how to contact the VA by telephone and either
question the provenance of an electronic deposit or alternatively report an overpayment so that
it can be returned to the proper authority/department?

I very much appreciate your patience and indulgence with this fumbling correspondence.

Thank you.

@ Talon: I am in a similar situation to you. I also just came across a very large deposit in my account from US TREASURY 310 DES:XXVA BENEF ID:(my SSN) 00 43 INDN:(my name) CO ID:(some id) PPD . The money is a little over 12 thousand - almost 13 thousand dollars. I don't want to keep this money as I don't believe it belongs to me.

I also receive disability at 40%, but this looks a little different from my disability deposits. The is before letters PPD is different and everything else is the same.

I also called VA a lot of times and they only tell me that the payment they last sent me is my regular disability check, not this 12 thousand dollar payment.

So, did you ever get in touch with someone and figure out if the money was for something you did not know you should be getting. Or did you find a way to return it. Either way, please let me know I would really appreciate your help.

Thanks,

#10 carlie

carlie

• Admin
  • 21904 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 10:14 PM

@ Talon: I am in a similar situation to you. I also just came across a very large deposit in my account from US TREASURY 310 DES:XXVA BENEF ID:(my SSN) 00 43 INDN:(my name) CO ID:(some id) PPD . The money is a little over 12 thousand - almost 13 thousand dollars. I don't want to keep this money as I don't believe it belongs to me.

I also receive disability at 40%, but this looks a little different from my disability deposits. The is before letters PPD is different and everything else is the same.

I also called VA a lot of times and they only tell me that the payment they last sent me is my regular disability check, not this 12 thousand dollar payment.

So, did you ever get in touch with someone and figure out if the money was for something you did not know you should be getting. Or did you find a way to return it. Either way, please let me know I would really appreciate your help.

Thanks,

Sounds like it's your cash, to me !

#11 Berta

Berta

HadIt.com Elder/SVR Radio Panelist

• SVR
  • 28462 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 09:29 AM

Many years ago I found an odd check for over 28 thou in my mail box from VA.

The 800# ( Jim F. in those days you got to recognise their voice at 800 #told me it wasn't a mistake. The VA doesnt make mistakes like that, he added.) I was horrified as I didnt know what it was for.

No letter came the whole week and after the weekend passed I called 800 and ironically got Jim again.

I said :

“Jim I spent that whole check at K mart yesterday so I sure hope you were right last week.” He laughed but coudn't see anything on the VA PC as to any letter.

Finally a few days letter I got a letter from the RC up here (Regional Counsel).

When VA had received my new 2003 AO DMII claim, they had to check with the RC as to the FTCA issue and the RC called a CUE on them.

(They had been deducting my DIC offset for many more years that they should have.)

I had argued that point with them before but thought I was wrong.

I then read over the audit they sent to me.

They were still 11 thousand short.

I wrote to them and attached my math calculations as evidence.

The check for that came right away.

My long point is if VA makes an error in your favor, cashwise and corrects it, they STILL might have snookered you and you need to figure out the audit statement very carefully.

VA had to refund my full offset after the 2003 claim succeeded in 2009.

For some reason Jeff, the same the RC above ,gave me a hard time on that (maybe because of the amount) so I had to get a top gun from OGC to order my RO to pay me. They did.

I tried to get Jeff to come to SVR show years ago but maybe I could try again to get him or one of the VA Regional Counsels to do a show at SVR.

They have an interesting job and are brilliant lawyers.

#12 john999

john999

HadIt.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • 22158 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 03:35 PM

Back in 1976 I began getting 100% benefits. I knew this was wrong since I was rated 10% as far as I knew. I called and wrote the VA. I returned the checks. The checks just kept coming. Finally, I started putting them in a savings account. One day the checks went back to 10% level and I never heard a word. This did not go on for years but for a few months. I owed the VA 102 bucks for overpayment of G.I. Bill and the bastards hounded me for over a year. I went to my congressman to show him their mistake. The VA backed off, finally. Pennywise and pound foolish.

John