Search

Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  red : (24 October 2014 - 10:10 AM) Any News On Space A Flying?
@  Tbird : (23 October 2014 - 05:07 PM) Correction Jan 20. 2015 Will Be Hadit.com's 18 Year Anniversary
@  Tbird : (23 October 2014 - 11:38 AM) Jan 20, 2015 Will Be Hadit.com's 19 Year Anniversary, That's Amazing.
@  britton : (23 October 2014 - 08:14 AM) I Got It Tbird Thank You
@  Tbird : (22 October 2014 - 05:26 AM) Britton Sent You A Pm
@  britton : (21 October 2014 - 10:05 PM) Tbird, I Sent A Donation To Hadit Via Pay Pal...i Hope You Got It?
@  raven316 : (21 October 2014 - 01:59 PM) Glasses
@  iceturkee : (20 October 2014 - 06:50 AM) Good Luck Plum
@  Notorious Kelly : (19 October 2014 - 06:32 AM) I Wish You All The Best With That, Plum!
@  me.plum : (18 October 2014 - 01:09 PM) Hearing For Bva 11-19 At 8:30 Wow!!! Thanks Everyone!!!
@  Tbird : (18 October 2014 - 12:30 PM) Buckeye46 Thank For Contributing Our Fund Raiser
@  Notorious Kelly : (17 October 2014 - 02:11 PM) Impressive Site, Kimmy. I Bookmarked. Thanks! :)
@  Kimmy : (17 October 2014 - 08:31 AM) I Recently Discover The Site. It Is Very Detailed With Info On Conditions And Ratings.
@  Kimmy : (17 October 2014 - 08:28 AM) Has Anyone Here Been To This Site? Http://www.militarydisabilitymadeeasy.com/
@  Tbird : (17 October 2014 - 08:06 AM) Snake Eyes Thank You For Remembering Us. Congratulations On Your Retro.
@  Snake Eyes : (16 October 2014 - 07:04 PM) Thinking Of Donating A Portion Of My Retro On Next Claim. Smaller Amount Coming Beginning Of November. Thanks For The Good Work!
@  britton : (13 October 2014 - 06:13 AM) Hi There T Bird Shout Backatcha
@  Tbird : (13 October 2014 - 06:04 AM) Britton Ahoy There Matey Give You A Shout Out Back
@  Tbird : (13 October 2014 - 06:00 AM) Thank You Michael M For Your Contribution To Our Funding Campaign
@  Tbird : (13 October 2014 - 05:57 AM) Thank You Elliot K For Your Contribution To Our Funding Campaign

Photo
- - - - -

Camp Lejeune Water Contamination Exposure

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Berta

Berta

HadIt.com Elder/SVR Radio Panelist

• SVR
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28831 posts
  • Interests:tactical warfare student- AMU
    gardening
    fishing
    Oriental home design
    organic cleaning tips
    Capt Adoph Von Shell-interested in any info at all!
    German Commander (WWI)lectured to the US Army after the war on warfare-- PTSD - tactics etc-and Leadership
    The Pullers-Chesty and Lewis (USMC)
    chocolate brownies
    anything at all regarding Vietnam
    the failure of the Maginot Line (WWII)
    Trench warfare
    anything amphibious

Led Zepplin, Bob Dylan, Sting, Al Green, Mozart, Classical guitar,Moog synthesizer, Eminem,Janis Joplin,
    Michael Jackson, Teddy Pendergast, Mongo Santamaria,
    Cal Tjader, Miles Davis, AmerIndian battle chants,
    Hendrix,etc etc etc
    Pho and nuc mam dinners
  • Service Connected Disability: widow of 2 vets, 2 HD each and mother of USAF vet-my daughter

Posted 30 November 2011 - 01:21 PM

"November 29, 2011
Director (00/21) In Reply Refer To:
All VA Regional Offices Training Letter 11-03 (Revised)
SUBJ: Processing Disability Claims Based on Exposure to Contaminated Drinking
Water at Camp Lejeune
This updated training letter incorporates multiple recommendations provided by other
interested organizations, including the Department of Defense, Department of Justice, and
Office of Management and Budget. It also reflects the Environmental Protection Agency's
revised assessment of trichloroethylene (TCE), now characterized as "carcinogenic to
humans" by all routes of exposure.
Purpose
Veterans who served at U.S. Marine Corps Base Camp Lejeune, North Carolina, were
potentially exposed to contaminants present in the base water supply prior to 1987. The
chemical compounds involved have been associated by various scientific organizations
with the possible development of certain chronic diseases. However, many unanswered
questions remain regarding the extent of base water contamination, the type and duration
of exposure experienced by base personnel, and the likelihood that contaminant levels in
the water supply were high enough to result in a particular disease.
While these issues are being studied, the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) has
determined that disability claims from Veterans who served at Camp Lejeune during this
period deserve special handling to ensure fairness and consistency in claims processing.
As a result, adjudication of these claims has been centralized at the Louisville, Kentucky,
Regional Office with tracking measures initiated. Technical aspects related to processing
these claims are outlined in Fast Letter 11-03, Consolidation and Processing of Disability
Claims Based on Exposure to Contaminated Drinking Water at Camp Lejeune, North
Carolina.
This training letter was developed to provide additional background information on the
Camp Lejeune situation, as well as to provide specific guidance for issues related to
claims development and adjudication. The current guidance supersedes the initial release
and the Camp Lejeune section of Training Letter 10-03, Environmental Hazards in Iraq,
Afghanistan, and Other Military Installations."

Courtesy of my friend Bob Walsh , veteran's attorney- who just got this new training letter.

The 10-03 Environmental Hazard Training letter should be in our training letter forum.

The FAst letter they refer to is here:

http://agentorangezo...xposure-to.html

#2 Berta

Berta

• SVR
  • 28831 posts
    gardening
    fishing
    Oriental home design
    organic cleaning tips
    German Commander (WWI)lectured to the US Army after the war on warfare-- PTSD - tactics etc-and Leadership
    chocolate brownies
    Trench warfare
    anything amphibious

Led Zepplin, Bob Dylan, Sting, Al Green, Mozart, Classical guitar,Moog synthesizer, Eminem,Janis Joplin,
    Hendrix,etc etc etc
    Pho and nuc mam dinners
  • Service Connected Disability: widow of 2 vets, 2 HD each and mother of USAF vet-my daughter

Posted 30 November 2011 - 01:33 PM

I added this part of the Fast Letter:

"From 1957 through 1987, persons residing or working at the U.S. Marine Corps Base Camp Lejeune, North Carolina, were potentially exposed to drinking water contaminated with volatile organic compounds, including benzene, vinyl chloride, tetrachloroethylene (PCE) and trichloroethylene (TCE). Claims based on service at Camp Lejeune involve potentially complex issues of exposure and causation, and VA remains concerned about the potential for harmful effects associated with past exposure to the contaminated water supply. As the Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry, which has been contracted by the Department of the Navy, continues to research the effects of exposure from this incident, VA must be prepared to evaluate claims based on such exposure in a consistent manner. By centralizing jurisdiction to the Louisville RO, VA enhances its ability to process these claims efficiently and consistently."

This could potentially involve thousand of Marines and even their family members exposed to these contaminates.They could have caused many types of disability.

#3 carlie

carlie

Moderator/Admin/HadIt.com Elder/SVR Radio Panelist

• Admin
  • 22180 posts
  • Interests:I enjoy researching and debate of claims for
    Clear and Unmistakable Error (C&UE).
  • Service Connected Disability: 100+
  • Branch of Service: USA

Posted 30 November 2011 - 04:56 PM

Berta,
Great post.
I am pinning this topic.

#4 fanaticbooks

fanaticbooks

HadIt.com Elder

• Content Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 515 posts
  • Service Connected Disability: 100 percent plus SMC/S
  • Branch of Service: None

Posted 16 December 2011 - 05:44 PM

Here's the full document. Until I can transfer it into the Training Letter Forum, I thought posting it here would help. :)

http://www.salem-new...ter_Claims).pdf

fanaticbooks
p.s. I'm working on it, but will be awhile until I include in here. Have a few others I want to do also.

#5 aggie54

aggie54

E-5 Petty Officer 2nd Class

• First Class Petty Officer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • Interests:Study Law
  • Service Connected Disability: 100%
  • Branch of Service: USMarines/USA Retired E-7

Posted 17 December 2011 - 07:40 PM

Thank you Berta for all the hard work you put forth to keep us advised on the Camp Lejeune Waters. I for one just recieved a Health Survey from the ATSDR Health Survey of Marine Corps Personnel and Civilians. Looks like it's going to take awhile to complete this, for it has over 26 pages of questions. And it looks like it has to be turned in before the end of the month. Once again thank you.

#6 eganusn

eganusn

E-4 Petty Officer 3rd Class

• Second Class Petty Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Branch of Service: USN

Posted 28 February 2012 - 05:17 PM

There is an interesting side note to this whole controversy; Camp Lejeune, (I spent many days there as a dependent and on active duty.) is the only site that DOD was obligated to report. The EPA and DOD also lists many other bases on their "Superfund" sites, but the onus is on the servicemember/veteran, or dependents to inquire and possibly file a claim on their own for any possible conditions and illnesses.

If you go to the EPA's supefund site, it will list all bases that have had issues just like Camp Lejeune.

#7 Done wit this

Done wit this

E-6 Petty Officer 1st Class

• Chief Petty Officers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts
  • Interests:all
  • Service Connected Disability: 100
  • Branch of Service: USAR-Army

Posted 15 May 2012 - 06:30 PM

I'm Not a marine and This has hit me dead in the Face,in high school I had one really close freind .he entered the Marines and was stationed there-camp lajeune- in 84-85. He ended up with stomach cancer and Lukemia,he fought hard and long but it was cronic ..He passed on they last day of the year in 2010, He -Angelo Marinelli was like my Brother.and this subject right here is what I am told took him.his family is devistated , they will never be the same..I either...They are like My own..Justice needs to be served here...

------------Macool-----------

#8 meghp0405

meghp0405

E-8 Senior Chief Petty Officer

• Senior Chief Petty Officer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • Branch of Service: Army

Posted 24 December 2012 - 02:38 PM

I thank the VA for acknowledging that this issue with the camp lejune water contamination exposure is alive and it's not going away anytime soon. However, I believe that the VA has to stop taking baby steps and break out with the stride. There are many people meeting their demise from this exposure. Like anything else with the VA, I believe that the "medical professionals" should comprise a list of disabilities that are commsenurate with this exposure. Next, verify through cross reference on those that have been affected by this. Those disabilities then should become presumptive, the same way they did with the effects of agent orange and radiation.
We owe that to those that were affected by this exposure.
Just my 2 cents worth

Edited by meghp0405, 24 December 2012 - 02:41 PM.

#9 wicho58

wicho58

E-2 Recruit

• New User Review
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Service Connected Disability: 40%
  • Branch of Service: usmc

Posted 24 April 2013 - 01:02 PM

Hello , 

I was stationed at Camp Lejuene from 1980 to 1981 . I was in 2/6 and 3/6 . I did fill out a survey and I did get a letter about the VA allowing disabilities claims to be filed . I need information on how and what to fill out . I work with several other Marines who were also stationed at Camp Lejuene . Thank you all for the help . 

• davidlj1958 likes this

#10 aggie54

aggie54

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 07:00 AM

Wicho58, I was stationed in French Creek from 1976 thru 1979, and I was in Camp Johnson for M.T. school in 1977. I would also like information on what to fill out for this water contamination problem but ,

I would have to wait to file a claim due to having a current claim pending since retiring from the military in 2010. I will probably wait to file a claim after this claim is closed cause

I don't want it to delay my claim any longer. I do a lot of reading, and if I run into any information that might help us with this water contamination I will let you know.

Take care Marine, and God Bless.

Semper Fi.

Aggie.

#11 meghp0405

meghp0405

• 872 posts
  • Branch of Service: Army

Posted 26 April 2013 - 09:31 PM

You need a diagnosis first! then obtain an IMO stating that your diagnosis is more likely than not as a result of the water contamination and the doctor has to explain how and why he/she came to that conclusion. Then submit your claim to the VARO, Louisville, KY

There is a camp lejune water registry. I would at a minimum, complete the registry. That way, anytime the VA makes any progress or has any other notifications to make on this topic, you will be informed. 

#12 wicho58

wicho58

E-2 Recruit

• New User Review
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Service Connected Disability: 40%
  • Branch of Service: usmc

Posted 26 April 2013 - 11:54 PM

Thank you guys ! Very good information . I just got my reply from the VA denying  my hearing loss and tinnitus claim . I have resubmitted my claim again with the same evident . I  been told that the Vet center in San Antonio Texas will almost always deny the hearing claims . 

#13 retiredat44

retiredat44

• 783 posts
  • Interests:Not able to pursue many interests at this time. My health prevents me from doing much. I wish I could go back to hiking, photography, etc..
  • Service Connected Disability: 60%
  • Branch of Service: USAF

Posted 21 May 2013 - 09:51 PM

this kinda irks me, I spent years soaked in chemicals dying form diseases form chemicals, and the VA fights me,, yet some people say they drank water while tdy there... I wil die and blow a gasket if people who sniffed fumes get prioroty and more belief and results in claims than thos eof us that were soaked in chmicals daily with solid written records of daily exposure on the job, while they deny deny until we die and then give out awards to people whole touched the water a  few times..

I would really really be pissed!

I know some of you wil be pissed at me, but put yourself in my shoes and al of us that weere soaked in chemicals and being denied while we die.. a horrible death....

The rotten dirty scum at the VA vetter take the people who worked witht he chemicals as serioui as they are witht he people who say they drank water that may have been contaminated...

the peoppe that worked with chmicals were soaked in the chmicals,, not just a brief encounter saoked every day for years and years... in the course of your job and duties,,, and reporting the illnessses on active duty from those chemicals, yet we go through years of hell being treated like scum......

we better not be pushed to the back of soime line full of people who had lite contact, at best.. there will be hell to pay by the VA if that B.S. crap happens!

if some people truly got sick fromm casyual contact, I feel for you, but you have no frakkin clue what it's like to actually be soaked and be dying from the dieases associted with those chemicals

I had to get this off my chest,, I see some type of lobby foriming pushing another agenda to the front of the line...

please, I don't mean disrespect but see something that is pissing me off.. I don't have the time and luxury of waiting around to be pushed back in line...

pleaase don't hate me for speaking my mind..

thanx..

#14 rdawg

rdawg

E-7 Chief Petty Officer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts
  • Service Connected Disability: 70%
  • Branch of Service: usaf

Posted 22 May 2013 - 09:00 AM

some of those exposures go back to the 1960's. should those people who have been sick since then and just now have a recognized exposure and well grounded claim wait any longer? I think not. I'm in the same boat as you retired. but I know people who were stationed there that are suffering terribly. They made formula for thier babies with that water.

They were exposed before I ever saw service. They should be expidited, in my opinion, ahead of me.

#15 Batman

Batman

E-2 Recruit

• New User Review
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Service Connected Disability: 30%
  • Branch of Service: USMC

Posted 28 July 2013 - 04:54 AM

In 1991, Congress directed the VA to complete a study on the effects of Agent Orange on Vietnam Vets... I wish we had a Congress that could agree on what they have for lunch.  It's a shame that Congress has eroded to the point where no one of any level of competence even wants to run for the office.

#16 jcolwell

jcolwell

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • Branch of Service: usaf

Posted 06 December 2013 - 11:20 AM

CDC: Water at Marine base linked to birth defects _h17_w0_m6_otrue_lfalse.jpg 1 hr agoBy Michael Biesecker of Associated Press

The study surveyed the parents of 12,598 children born at Camp Lejeune between 1968 and 1985.

RALEIGH, N.C. — A long-awaited study by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention confirms a link between tainted tap water at a U.S. Marine Corps base in North Carolina and increased risk of serious birth defects and childhood cancers.

The study released late Thursday by the CDC's Agency for Toxic Substances & Disease Registry surveyed the parents of 12,598 children born at Camp Lejeune between 1968 and 1985, the year drinking-water wells contaminated with chemicals from a leaky fuel depot and a dry cleaner were closed.

The study concludes that babies born to mothers who drank the tap water while pregnant were four times more likely than normal to have such serious birth defects as spinal bifida. Babies whose mothers were exposed also had an elevated risk of such childhood cancers as leukemia.

Update to Berta earlier posting. Just sickening

#17 Berta

Berta

• SVR
  • 28831 posts
    gardening
    fishing
    Oriental home design
    organic cleaning tips
    chocolate brownies
    Trench warfare
    anything amphibious

Hendrix,etc etc etc
    Pho and nuc mam dinners

Posted 06 December 2013 - 12:15 PM

That is horrible news...Thanks for this link!

I clicked on your post on the thing to the right side ...the new stuff but don't know where it was posted....hope in Claims Research forum where most here will see it.

The CDC studys arent really binding on the VA but this is so serious that maybe VA will move on some amendment to the regs.

Here is the latest info as far as I know ,from the VA, on Camp Lejuene bad water vets and their family members:

::http://www.publichea...s/camp-lejeune/

Also here is more info:

http://www.mcclatchy...enefits-to.html

And plenty more info on the net.

As far as I know there are only 2 awards puvblisized so far for Camp LeJeune service connections:

http://www.salem-new...ejeune_news.php

(This was prior to the proposed regulations)

There are some Camp Lejeune claims at the BVA, some denied and some on remand, but I did not find any awards there.

#18 Loose Cannon

Loose Cannon

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts
  • Interests:Fishing, Family, Veteran Rights, Watching Sports, Marksmanship

Posted 06 December 2013 - 02:15 PM

Much information on this sad topic but thanks to everyone for your posts...Hopefully, this is a diagnosis that many of us will never have to deal with!! I spent most of my early USMC career in nearby New River Air Station...Semper Fi

LC

#19 Loose Cannon

Loose Cannon

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 07:02 PM

Here's a letter FULL of links and info on this subject I received...Hope it can help someone:

Dear Sir or Ma'am:

On December 4, 2013 the Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry's (ATSDR) "Evaluation of exposure to contaminated drinking water and specific birth defects and childhood cancers at Marine Corps Base Camp Lejeune, North Carolina: a case--control study" was published (http://www.atsdr.cdc...une/update.html). You will receive a hard copy of the ATSDR fact sheet summarizing the results of this study in the mail in the coming weeks.

ATSDR's study evaluated whether or not maternal exposures to drinking water containing volatile organic compounds (VOCs) at Camp Lejeune increased the risk of certain health conditions. The study used ATSDR's previous water modeling efforts to estimate past exposures (http://www.atsdr.cdc...ermodeling.html). VOCs were commonly used as solvents for cleaning machinery and weapons, for dry cleaning, and some are found in fuels.

This study is the first of several health initiatives that ATSDR is expected to complete in the next several years. For more information about these studies, visit http://www.atsdr.cdc.../sites/lejeune/ or call (800) 232-4636.

Since 1991, the Marine Corps has supported the health initiatives conducted by various scientific agencies. We are also working diligently to identify and notify individuals who, in the past, may have been exposed to the chemicals in drinking water. For more information about these efforts or to update your contact information, please see: http://www.marines.mil/clwater/, call (877) 261-9782 or e-mail clwater@usmc.mil.

For the complete report and for information about studies being conducted by ATSDR, visit http://www.atsdr.cdc.../sites/lejeune/ or call (800) 232-4636.

To contact Veterans Affairs to learn more about health care benefits, please visit http://www.publichea...s/camp-lejeune/ or call (877) 222-8387 (Healthcare) or (800) 827-1000 (Benefits).

Sincerely,
The Camp Lejeune Historic Drinking Water Program

#20 aggie54

aggie54

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 09:09 AM

I was stationed in Camp Lejeune from 1976 through 1979, and did drink the water, and do suffer from many health issues. My question is, how many of us haven't been exposed to toxic elements at some point in our careers while in the Military, and I don't think that being exposed and soaked in chemicals and dying from diseases from chemicals are two different issues here. This topic here is about people that drank contaminate water not about being soaked in chemicals, what chemicals? I feel that if someone was soaked in deadly chemicals and suffer from that, then you should have that well documented, and able to prove to the VA that you suffer from such health issues and the VA would find in your favor and you would be compensated, if not then you didn't get sick from being soaked in chemicals. This water contamination is no joke, and a lot of people have died from it. I for one am at 100% P&T by the Marine Corps for my Service Connected disabilities, and that's because I was able to prove my case, and very well documented in my health record, not just talked about it. If your'e sick and dying from diseases because you were soaked in chemicals prove it, and I hope you get compensated for it.

Merry Christmas :-)

Edited by aggie54, 23 December 2013 - 01:43 PM.

#21 Loose Cannon

Loose Cannon

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 12:11 AM

I was stationed in Camp Lejeune from 1976 through 1979, and did drink the water, and do suffer from many health issues. My question is, how many of us haven't been exposed to toxic elements at some point in our careers while in the Military, and I don't think that being exposed and soaked in chemicals and dying from diseases from chemicals are two different issues here. This topic here is about people that drank contaminate water not about being soaked in chemicals, what chemicals? I feel that if someone was soaked in deadly chemicals and suffer from that, then you should have that well documented, and able to prove to the VA that you suffer from such health issues and the VA would find in your favor and you would be compensated, if not then you didn't get sick from being soaked in chemicals. This water contamination is no joke, and a lot of people have died from it. I for one am at 100% P&T by the Marine Corps for my Service Connected disabilities, and that's because I was able to prove my case, and very well documented in my health record, not just talked about it. If your'e sick and dying from diseases because you were soaked in chemicals prove it, and I hope you get compensated for it.

Merry Christmas :-)

GREAT COMMENT!! Here's an additional comment I hope gets consideration from all: We must realize that if we (or our families) were injured as a result of service to our country, we should seek and receive compensation from our government. I don't think anyone disagrees with that, right? But we do a disservice to our cause when we selfishly think "our claim" is any more important than the next guy or gals? Regardless of the way the VA prioritizes the claims, ANYONE who has had their life or the life of a loved one changed due to something "service connected" should not have to wait until they are a day closer to their grave. As a veteran community, we should continue to push to for changes in current policy until the VA claim process is improved/expedited. My definition of improvement is total elimination of the infamous backlog through correctly adjudicated claims. I don't care how they do it, just that it gets done! We must be united on that basic premise and leave no one behind or we're just spinning our wheels and accepting the excuses...jmho.
LC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users