• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 SP4RVN1971

SP4RVN1971

E-6 Petty Officer 1st Class

• Senior Chief Petty Officer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts
  • Interests:Living,smiling, and specially Praying! Being with my family. Picture of CVN-69 EISENHOWER another tour of FUN for my son!
  • Service Connected Disability: 100+
  • Branch of Service: US ARMY

Posted 12 December 2011 - 02:48 PM

In the great state of Texas, once you are a 100%. You don't have to pay property taxes, If I the veteran cease to live. Does my wife still receive that tax benifit?

Thanks

#2 Papa

Papa

E-8 Senior Chief Petty Officer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 903 posts
  • Interests:God, Family and Country!
  • Service Connected Disability: 100%
  • Branch of Service: USAF

Posted 12 December 2011 - 03:58 PM

They will still get the benefit, as a new law was just pasted. Also, while you must be 100% to get ALL the property tax paid for, you get can a reduction in your property tax here in Texas based upon your level of disability percentage. My normal property tax would be $2,000.00, and based on 50% disability my property tax is $1,200.00. Next year it should go down some more, as I'm 70% now. So, Texas Vets can save some money even if they are not 100%. The best thing is this new law.

Papa

#3 scscrewed

scscrewed

E-5 Petty Officer 2nd Class

• First Class Petty Officer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • Branch of Service: USN

Posted 12 December 2011 - 04:01 PM

I am afraid of Texans. It's a hangin' state, and I am liberal-hippy-flower-child. But, no property tax may make me a Texan. I will look into this. I know I have family in Lubbock.

#4 SP4RVN1971

SP4RVN1971

E-6 Petty Officer 1st Class

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts
  • Interests:Living,smiling, and specially Praying! Being with my family. Picture of CVN-69 EISENHOWER another tour of FUN for my son!
  • Branch of Service: US ARMY

Posted 12 December 2011 - 04:21 PM

They will still get the benefit, as a new law was just pasted. Also, while you must be 100% to get ALL the property tax paid for, you get can a reduction in your property tax here in Texas based upon your level of disability percentage. My normal property tax would be $2,000.00, and based on 50% disability my property tax is $1,200.00. Next year it should go down some more, as I'm 70% now. So, Texas Vets can save some money even if they are not 100%. The best thing is this new law.

Papa

Papa, That's great in both counts 1. It will continue for my wife, 2. That your at 70%, Hell you should 200%, damn VA games.

#5 Pete53

Pete53

Moderator/HadIt.com Elder

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21601 posts
  • Interests:My Family
  • Branch of Service: USA

Posted 12 December 2011 - 10:19 PM

Texas is a big state and you can find liberal and conservative in many places. But if you are a fisherman there are plenty of places not into politics either.

I don't know of a politician in Texas worth the powder to blow them up something my Dad used to tell me and I agree with him now.

#6 scscrewed

scscrewed

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • Branch of Service: USN

Posted 13 December 2011 - 06:28 AM

I do enjoy fishing for yellow bellies and small mouth bass and really anything that will bite. I just park the chair and cast the line. I use to fly fish, a lot. Can't do that these days, but I still think about when I could. Dad is talked about fly fishing from a kayak, but everywhere I always fly fished at was shallow and fast, so I don't know if that'll work out.

And I don't like any politicians, the liberal statement was --I should have put libertarian.

#7 Testvet

Testvet

HadIt.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2478 posts
  • Interests:online veterans advocate

Posted 15 December 2011 - 06:53 PM

Georgia and South Carolina both have free property taxes for up to one acre regardless of the price of the home and 2 free license plates for the auto's when the vet passes away the spouse still gets the free property taxes but loses the free license plates you have to see each state and what they offer they all set their own rules

#8 Hollis

Hollis

• Chief Petty Officers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 217 posts
  • Service Connected Disability: 90%
  • Branch of Service: ARMY

Posted 17 December 2011 - 08:43 PM

well testvet Georgia will only give you a break on the property taxes if you are 100% and only one tag. But you get free driver license for life. I know this as I live here in Georgia and applied and that is what I was told from the property and tag office.ALL WIDOWS get the propert t.ax break for one year after the death of there wife or husband. But they will not tell you this. I found this out thru the VFW I am a menber of.

#9 faofficer

faofficer

E-3 Seaman

• Seaman
  • PipPipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Service Connected Disability: 40
  • Branch of Service: army

Posted 18 December 2011 - 11:08 AM

Wow that's much better than the benefit in Indiana. We get a 24,000 tax abatement which knocks off about $300 a year in property taxes.

#10 Hollis

Hollis

• Chief Petty Officers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 11:48 AM

I think all States should give each veteran a discount on their taxes to the vet disabillity.And as the vet % goes up the taxes goes down. JMHO :rolleyes:

#11 john999

john999

HadIt.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21829 posts
  • Interests:VA law and history of the Blues
  • Branch of Service: Army

Posted 18 December 2011 - 01:40 PM

In Florida the spouse can keep the 100% exemption but she/he must be on the deed at time of death of the vet. You can't wait to have your new wife on the deed until they read the will. I paid for my house before I got married, but I broke down and added my wife to the deed, so she could get the exemption. What a guy! Now I have an official taster for all my food. I am worth more to her dead than alive. This is slightly creepy knowledge.

#12 MarkInTexas

MarkInTexas

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • Interests:Genealogy; History; Family, Country Living
  • Service Connected Disability: 10%

Posted 19 August 2012 - 09:38 AM

Papa, also from what I understand, a 100% rated veteran in Texas can also remove $12,000 off the taxable valuation of a second property if they own it. I myself only own one home and property. Well, me and the mortgage company do anyway, but for those who may have inherited or have some other situation whereby they own two pieces of land, they can get their homestead completely non-taxed, and a pretty good portion removed from another.

Not a bad deal. If anybody out there is in Texas, and eligible it is best to get in the system now. You never know when the state legislature may change their minds. If you are already in the system, you stand a much better chance for you and your spouse to be grandfathered in regardless of legislative changes. Now although this may not occur, the legislature has been known to make changes in law, but grandfathering in those who are already participating.

Mark

Edited by MarkInTexas, 19 August 2012 - 09:49 AM.

#13 Papa

Papa

• 903 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 02:31 PM

I also have other property in the Hill Country, and ask about an exemption on that property and was told it was good for your main house only. Maybe, your county is offering something that Bexar and Blanco Counties are not. Also, Texas has a great web-site where you can actually get land loans, home improvement loans, and other benefits. I think it is through the Texas Land Commission.

Papa

#14 #1Cavtrooper

#1Cavtrooper

• Chief Petty Officers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 265 posts
  • Interests:Photography
  • Branch of Service: Womens Army Corps (WAC)

Posted 19 August 2012 - 09:30 PM

@Papa It's called the Texas Veterans Land Board.

#15 Papa

Papa

• 903 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 12:19 AM

Darn! My first mistake for August 2012Posted Image Thanks

Papa

#16 sparkle

sparkle

E-4 Petty Officer 3rd Class

• Second Class Petty Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 07:02 AM

Posted Image HOPE NC have free property taxes.

#17 Hollis

Hollis

• Chief Petty Officers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 05:01 PM

SO DOES GEORGIA, BUT MUST BE 100%Posted Image

#18 Inthewind

Inthewind

E-4 Petty Officer 3rd Class

• Second Class Petty Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • Branch of Service: Army

Posted 05 September 2013 - 06:16 AM

To add to this discussion in regards to Texas Property Tax:

If you receive a 100% rating retrospectively, you can request a refund based on the retro date. My claim sat for 26 months and crossed over two tax years. When I received the decision, along with the 100% exemption request, I requested the refund based on my retrospective date and received every penny paid into property tax for the full year prior and didn't have to pay for the current year. Most HS exemptions require that you file for it prior to January 1st of the tax year, but not in this case. So if an assessors office tells you that you can't request a refund, I'd ask to speak to their boss.

Hope this helps.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users