Search

Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  arng11 : (26 November 2014 - 11:30 AM) Everyone Enjoy The Holidays And Be Safe.
@  eagle1012004 : (26 November 2014 - 10:10 AM) Have A Happy Thanksgiving All!!!
@  Tbird : (22 November 2014 - 04:54 PM) Tbird Accepted To 2015 Conference: V-Wise: Another Entrepreneurship Project Of The Whitman School Of Management Http://ow.ly/ej9Qg
@  Tbird : (22 November 2014 - 04:13 PM) Arng11 Thank You For Your Contribution To Our Funding Campaign.
@  britton : (22 November 2014 - 02:57 PM) Thank You Ms T For Starting This Web Site For All Veterans, You Helpd Me And My Family And I'll Be Forever Gratful To You & Hadit.com
@  Tbird : (22 November 2014 - 08:19 AM) Thank You All For Helping With The Funding The Site. It Is Really Helping!
@  Tbird : (22 November 2014 - 08:18 AM) Britton Pm Me And I. Can Check This Out For You
@  britton : (22 November 2014 - 06:44 AM) What Does ''you Missed Your Quota For Postives Votes Today'' Mean??
@  coriemboh : (19 November 2014 - 08:29 AM) Hold Time For Peggy Was Approximately 1 Minute. That Was 17 Minutes Ago. They Really Need To Change This Hold Music.
@  Tbird : (17 November 2014 - 02:42 PM) Stretch Thanks For The Extra Contribution To Our Fundraiser This Month.
@  maxwell18 : (16 November 2014 - 09:04 PM) I Still Have To Bitch About The Navy Hosp Cutting My Meds By 2/3 On My Norco. I Contacted Customer Service Or What Ever You Want To Call It Who In Turn Contacted The Navy Hosp Pensacola Commander Who In Turn Did Nothing. Thanks To All The People That Are Affair Of There Jobs And I Feel That Medical Malpractice Should Come Into Place. I Guess Just Do What Ever They Want To Because They Can, But Don't Give A Sh T For The Vets That Suppose To Being Supporting From All The Military  organizations. This Is Not The Way They Have Been Trained And Promised To Do. 
@  carlie : (16 November 2014 - 11:26 AM) Delayed Onset Tinnitus - Ref To Va Training Letter 10-028 - Link - Http://veteranclaims.wordpress.com/2014/05/06/single-Judge-Application-Va-Training-Letter-10-028-Delayed-Onset-Tinnitus/
@  carlie : (16 November 2014 - 11:03 AM) Here's A Good Tinnitus Link To Check Out From M21-1 Change Dated Jan 10,2014 - Http://veteranclaims.wordpress.com/tag/section-B-Duty-Military-Occupational-Specialty-Mos-Noise-Exposure-Listing-Fast-Letter-10-35-Tinnitus-Hearing-Loss-Vbms-Rating-Decision-Tools/
@  Asiadaug : (16 November 2014 - 02:08 AM) "rolled" Not Ruled! :)
@  Asiadaug : (16 November 2014 - 02:07 AM) Thanks. I Have Seen The Fast Ltr 10-35 And Have Seen Cases Where The Va Has Apparently Agreed That Tinnitus Can Have Delayed Onset. I Did Not In Looking Over The Fast Ltr See Where They Had Ruled 10-028 Into That. And, I Am Not Sure In The Vas Issuance Of ‘policy’ Type Letters How They Might Roll In Previous Instructions Into Newer Ones. Maybe There Is Some Intranet Traceability Capability? I Was Just Curious As There ‘appeared’ To Be Conspicuous Absence Of That 10-028. I Am Assuming 10-028 Was Written In 2010. But It May Be I Should Not Assume Anything.
@  carlie : (15 November 2014 - 05:56 PM) Asiadaug - You Might Be Looking For Fast Letter 10-35, Http://www.hadit.com/forums/topic/40962-Va-Fl-10-35/ Also Check Out This Link To Links For Delayed Onset Tinnitus - They All Refer Back To Fast Letter 10-35, Https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=Chrome-Instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=Utf-8#q=Tinnitus, Delayed Onset, Va Fast Letter
@  Tbird : (15 November 2014 - 07:50 AM) Asiadaug Searched All Over For Va Training Letter 10-028 But No Luck So Far.
@  Asiadaug : (15 November 2014 - 02:12 AM) Several Cases I've Run Across Mention Va Training Letter 10-028 With Apparent Discussion About Delayed Onset Of Tinnitus. I Have Been Unable To Locate That Trng Ltr. Any Suggestions?
@  Tbird : (12 November 2014 - 05:56 PM) Stretch Thanks For Contributing To Our Fundraising Campairg
@  Tbird : (12 November 2014 - 04:01 AM) Atomicwidow Thank Your For Donating To Our Funding Campaign.

Photo
- - - - -

Narcotic Pain Meds

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
16 replies to this topic

#1 tmoe

tmoe

E-5 Petty Officer 2nd Class

• First Class Petty Officer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 03:06 PM

Hello everyone,just got back from primary doctor from private practice new rule starting now you much sign paper to be drug tested for anyone

on narcotic pain meds at any time to get your medicine refill. If your test is positive for anything alcohol,mariquana,crack, or what ever, dr told me

you get no refills and also get put out of this practice or doctor office. So get ready he said this is everywhere. What else can they do to a man who is

too disable to work or have any kind of life but pain & meds. Take a drug test any drugs or alcohol no meds. Only in america.

#2 carlie

carlie

Moderator/Admin/HadIt.com Elder/SVR Radio Panelist

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22280 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 04:23 PM

This doc told you BS !
Maybe in HIS PRIVATE PRACTICE, which he has control over
but there is no new law about this.
Last time I checked alcohol was legal and if of age - so is consuming it.
If I live in Mendocino County, Cali. and have a RX for Medical Marijuana
I'm covered on that.
This might be YOUR PRIVATE PRACTICE doctors rule - but it is not a law.

#3 tmoe

tmoe

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 08:13 PM

Carlie, i hope you are right on this one but I just dont know until Monday when I call & ask is this just his office but I have been

talking with some people getting SSDI and they said they been told the same thing about narcotics prescription refills just like

va pain mangement hell they wanted to test me today for my fentanyl,hydrocodone prescription.Those two i have to have. I dont drink

but I do smoke and I will tell them this I take too much medicine to drink & I'm not trying to be a saint but if this is correct I have no other

choice. I'm worried cause i need my medicine and VA has already started this my pcp at va told me it will be best to get my meds from private dr

because of this same reason now private dr doing same thing. Fentanyl hydrocodone i have been on this 8 years and now they start their *hit.

Time to go to Salibury,NC to dry out I guess or find another dr or dont know or aybe move to a different state. He did say this is a trial of this and next year

it probably be mandatory for all narcotic prescriptions. Not law yet 'i guess' but if i had not just had all my teeth pull i would have done drug test today for meds.

they felt sorry :blush: but be ready next month for sure. Just a head up to everyone thats all I'm saying

Edited by tmoe, 16 December 2011 - 08:47 PM.

#4 john999

john999

HadIt.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • 22329 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 12:45 PM

In private practice it depends on which state you live in as to the rules for narcotic prescriptions. The VA has had vets sign a agreement when they get pain meds via the VA. At my VAMC I must sign an agreement to get on opiate program, so I can get my drugs without going for an exam every month. They do random urine tests on me when I go to the VA. It may be, in fact, easier to get these drugs via the VA than from private doctors. However, I never get my drugs on the same date each month. I get percoset and fentanyl patches. I have never had a "Hot" urine test for anything illegal but I still get the third degree after 10 years. Florida where I live is harassing pain doctors and patients along with the bad doctors and drug addicts.

#5 tmoe

tmoe

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 03:12 AM

john999, its getting worst no better,had a talk with nurse today and was told this was started in Dec 1,2011 & it is random test and is up to DR

as to what can be done .Crack down on meds to make sure you are taking & not selling your drugs. Postive test no meds and out the program

for anything thats not suppose to be in your system. Its hard to got to another dr & ask them for narcotic prescriptions on a regular basic without

further testing or to start back over.Can only use one pharmacist and only one dr giving you narcotic all in the contract you sign. You dont sign

the contract no meds. ITS GETTING ROUGH and if you have a dr that helping you its better to stay with this dr but finding another dr is hell.

#6 Pete53

Pete53

Moderator/HadIt.com Elder

• 21895 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 10:35 AM

My private HMO Doc is tougher about Hydrocodone than my VA PCP. I don't have a contract but the VA Pharmacy always plays me with delivery. This months scriot is late again naturally.

I hate VA Meds by Mail and now the Post Office is talking about worse service. I am requesting that VA send my Meds by UPS Brown or Fed Ex the mail sucks right now.

#7 SP4RVN1971

SP4RVN1971

E-6 Petty Officer 1st Class

• Senior Chief Petty Officer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 11:25 AM

Tmoe, To me sound like you need to get a new Privite doc.

#8 john999

john999

HadIt.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • 22329 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 04:46 PM

My narcotic pain meds are 5-8 days late every month. This is unacceptable, but what can I do? In Floria there is so much pressure on pain management doctors that they don't prescribe as well as the VA. I could not get oxycodone and fentanyl patches from a private doctor. If I did I would be paying out the rear end. I have 5 years of treatment from pain management at the VA. If they try and dump me I will raise question of malpractice. I have been on narcotics via the VA for at least 5 years including morphine, methadone, percoset and fentanyl. If I should not have gotten narcotic meds then they need to explain to a lawyer why they prescribed them for years. Same goes for the clonazepam.
Try going cold turkey from clonazepam. You can have convulsions just like valium or xanax sudden stop of meds. I came off a pretty good dose of valium and that was very unpleasant to say the least.

#9 Testvet

Testvet

HadIt.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2478 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 11:23 PM

John I haven't had any problems since that August Sept mess 2 or 3 years ago when they kept telling me they were mailed out and they weren't and after 10 days of the lies I called the Directors office and asked her if they were trying to kill me by making me detox at home what with all my heart problems if they wanted me off them great but I would appreciate being in the hospital in the future for medical treatment and why was the clinic and doctor lying for 2 weeks about they had sent the percocets out when they hadn't the doctor called me about 30 minites later and asked me to never call the Director again if I had a problem to call him and he would fix it he's been great ever since he's also the longest primary care doc I have ever had I use to get a new one every year this guy has been 3 years now I hope he stays

#10 tmoe

tmoe

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 11:28 PM

john999, If they try and dump me I will raise question of malpractice, same thing I was thinking. Today the dr call explaing the program and

also told me i will have to be tested when I come in Jan since i said i smoke. My VA clinic said they dont give fentanyl only to cancer patient.

I been on fentanyl,hydrocodone, since 2003 by same dr now i cant get meds unless I pass a drug test 9 years on fentanyl is enough my eye sight

is getting real bad some of the side effects from it. Thinking real hard about going to Salibury,NC they have a nice VA clinic for inpatient treatment

for mental health, substance abuse, what ever the problem. I talk to them this year and the only way i would get in is to get treatment for narcotic pain med

& the smoke i will have to give up and if i have to piss for meds then get me off the narcotic pills if it will work. Tired of all the meds to more meds you take the higher

the blood pressure
always something

#11 jbasser

jbasser

Moderator/HadIt.com Elder/SVR Radio Panelist

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6283 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 08:40 AM

With the Dea treating Doctors like Drug Dealers, they dont really have a choice any more. They are testing you not for drug use, they are testing you to ensure you are using the drug.

That is what it is all about.

J

#12 VetsLady

VetsLady

• Chief Petty Officers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 09:07 AM

VA RX told me to phone in the refill request for my husband's pain contract medication a day or two after he receives his current month. Since I have been doing it this way, he hasn't run out. (knocking on wood)....

#13 john999

john999

HadIt.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • 22329 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 10:26 AM

John Basser

That's right. The VA wants to know if you are using your narcotic meds or selling them. I was going to private clinic in Florida and I had to take piss test as well. If your refill date falls near a VA holiday watch out buddy. I wrote the director about my not getting drugs on time. Things went well for a few months then most of the doctors in pain clinic rotated to other hospitals and it was back to usual routine. If my refill date is Jan 5, I might get drugs by certified mail on the 7th to the 14th. Of course, I take counter measures to be sure I don't run out. I don't abuse any drugs or alcohol so if they want to test that is OK. I make damn sure the drugs are in my system every time I go to the VA. The VA just assumes we are all substance abusers.

Tmoe

I have been told that fentanyl and oxycontin can only be used for cancer patients. That is just a damn lie. These drugs are more expensive that is all it is about. They can justify giving you methadone or morphine because it is cheap. Methadone is one of the most dangerous drugs and they dispense it all the time. I was told by pain management that I could not get cymbalta because of cost. Damn lie! I got it via my VA psychiatrist.

#14 tmoe

tmoe

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 03:46 PM

If i get off the narcotic pain meds & just take the strongest non narcotic meds & VA sees this I'm taking just ibuprofen or what ever

that is not narcotic will VA count this as improvement to my health and try to reduce your pay ? I had a nerve stimulator implant &

its helps a lot with my pain don't need as much medicine as I once was. What are the withdrawal systems or what can happen if I quit

taking fentanyl. The stimulator was a good ideal just tired of the BS about the meds and in my personal business I always take my meds

& they know this. I will put a note in my medical records that va & private dr wont refill prescriptions so what am I suppose to do? give me

something else as long as it helps tired of the narcotic pills & in my business. Anyone

#15 john999

john999

HadIt.com Elder

• HadIt.com Elder
  • 22329 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 03:58 PM

If you want to get off narcotic meds I don't think it will hurt your rating. You tell them you want to withdraw from the narcotics medically. They need to help you to withdraw by either putting you in the hospital to kick it, or give you withdrawl schedule to follow. Tell them you want off the narcotics but you need to be medically supervised as you kick it. If it was me I would probably just continue to get the meds and take them if I need them. Throw away the excess safely. As long as you obey the rules it does show that you have big problem since you are not taking just tylenol. I don't like to close doors behind me. I like to keep all doors open. The VA is always going to be in your business if you get money from them. They can call you in for a c&p exam next week.

#16 VetsLady

VetsLady

• Chief Petty Officers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 07:38 PM

A family member was advised by a home health care worker about the best way to discard of medication that is outdated or not being used is to pour it into a bottle or can, add kitty litter or coffee grounds and shake. The medications dissolve and can be thrown in the regular garbage. I haven't tried this yet......anyone else here about this or another way to destroy old medications?

#17 Pete53

Pete53

Moderator/HadIt.com Elder

• 21895 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 02:04 PM

I use old milk jugs to get rid of my meds. I never flush down the toilet.